PDA

View Full Version : Pierce withdraws from Olympics

*Jean*
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:31 PM
16/07 12h34 - JO 2008, Tennis Pierce n’ira pas
Mary Pierce ne participera pas aux Jeux Olympiques de Pékin.

Georges Goven a confirmé dans L’Equipe que Mary Pierce ne participera pas aux Jeux Olympiques de Pékin en août prochain. La Française, qui n’a plus joué depuis 2006, souffre toujours du genou. Amélie Mauresmo est sur la liste de la Fédération pour la remplacer mais l’ancienne n° 1 mondiale a déjà fait savoir qu’elle n’ira pas en Chine. Si elle confirme son absence, Pauline Parmentier s’envolera pour Pékin.

Pierce won't go
Georges Goven confirmed in the newpaper l'Equipe that Mary Pierce won't play at the Olympic Games of Pekin, in August 2008.

The Frenchwoman, who hasn't played since 2006, is still suffering of her knee.

Amelie Mauresmo is on the French Federation list but the former number one in the world already withdrew. If she confirms this withdrawal, Pauline Parmentier will fly to Pekin.

Pheobo
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:33 PM
:sad: I don't think we're ever going to see mary play again.

.:sk:.
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Mary :sad: :hug:

lympyisthebest
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Had she made this decision sooner, Amelie wouldn't have withdrawn :(

Il Primo!
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Mary should just retire and stop being so delusional about a thunderous comeback because it won't happen.

Raalbra
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I miss her. :crying2: :crying2: :crying2:

mariahdg
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:03 PM
:spit:

Slumpsova
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Momo should ask FFT to get her back :o

ViennaCalling
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Noooo :sad:

I guess she won´t play again on the tour :bigcry:

I will miss her ... she was the Queen :sobbing: Nobody will ever play more amazing tennis than she did in 2000 and 2005.

Marcelo.
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:21 PM
:sad:

Markus
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:23 PM
FFT should ask Momo to get her back.

John.
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Mary :hug:

Michael!
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:26 PM
:awww:
I guess she won´t come back...similar to Capriati :(
She´s 33 now...and I think it´s time for her to say good-bye :awww:
She´s out now for almost 2 years :awww:

drake3781
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:34 PM
What is the explanation about Amelie? I missed that. Why wasn't she playing if Mary was, but if Mary is out Amelie would play? :confused:

Williamsser
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Mary :sad:

darkangel23
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:39 PM

Vefci Y
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Mary...

So Disrespectful
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:42 PM
What is the explanation about Amelie? I missed that. Why wasn't she playing if Mary was, but if Mary is out Amelie would play? :confused:

She didn't believe that she would have enough time to prepare if she was left hanging like this, so decided to prepare for the US Open instead.

daniel122292
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:43 PM
SO Sad :{ Dont expect to ever see her play again :sad: good luck to her though :]

So Disrespectful
Mary :sobbing:

Vamos.
Stupid.Horrible.Slow-thinking.Whorebag.

She just ruined Amelie's chances of going to the Olympics all for her own selfish needs. Why the hell couldn't she make this decision earlier?!

This has annoyed me endlessly. What a selfish wench! Amelie really wanted to go...and Pierce sits on her behind thinking about it for days on end? She was never going to go, but probably wanted some last ditch effort of fame and glory.

She always was slow. :sad::sad:

The Kaz
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Why do the french continue to call Beijing, Pekin(g) :rolleyes:

drake3781
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:46 PM
She didn't believe that she would have enough time to prepare if she was left hanging like this, so decided to prepare for the US Open instead.

I don't quite get that. Isn't she prepared? She is playing Cincinnati, so she would need to be prepared for one or the other. :confused:

Cp6uja
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:55 PM
FRANCE TENNIS BEIJING/08 OLIMPICS TEAM case is one of most pathetic stories in new history of Olympics games :tape: :tape: :help: :tape:

(sorted by June 11 rankings)
Richard Gasquet
Marion Bartoli
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Alize Cornet
Paul-Henri Mathieu
Tatiana Golovin
Gilles Simon
Virginie Razzano
Mary Pierce
Amelie Mauresmo
Gael Monfils
Michael Llodra
Pauline Parmentier

bold - withdraw
blue - questionable

Three best ranked French players already withdraws (Gasquet, Bartoli and Tsonga) plus two most acomplished players Mauresmo and Pierce. Instead 4 TOP20 players, France will represent only at hardcourts useless Cornet (just 6 careers TOP100 wins out of clay - and she BTW retire from her todays match).

What a useless Tennis assotiation in country with big Tennis tradition :tape: After Mauresmo case i'm not surprised why nobody want to compete.

With Llodra and Parmentier to Olympic Gold :rocker2: Alez!

So Disrespectful
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I don't quite get that. Isn't she prepared? She is playing Cincinnati, so she would need to be prepared for one or the other. :confused:

Exactly. It was more like sour grapes to me actually.

mariahdg
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Amélie renonce aux Jo. :
03/07/2008

Amélie a souhaité revenir sur sa non sélection en simple et sa décision de renoncer aux Jo.

N’ayant pas été retenue en simple par la Fédération Française de Tennis pour tenter de ramener une médaille a la France et dans l’optique de me préserver sur le plan physique en raison d’un calendrier inadapté, j’ai décidé de renoncer aux Jo de Pekin pour me consacrer à mon dernier objectif majeur de la saison : l’US Open. Je partirai donc dès le 10 août pour jouer deux tournois de préparations Cincinnati et New Haven. C’est avec tristesse que je prends cette décision car jouer pour mon pays mes derniers JO me tenaient très à cœur.

Here Ya Go :D

InsideOut.
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:06 PM

She just ruined Amelie's chances of going to the Olympics all for her own selfish needs. Why the hell couldn't she make this decision earlier?!

This has annoyed me endlessly. What a selfish wench! Amelie really wanted to go...and Pierce sits on her behind thinking about it for days on end? She was never going to go, but probably wanted some last ditch effort of fame and glory.

I was just thinking that. When I saw the thread I was like, Mary, I love your game and all that, but you were a real bitch to do that. :help:

Poor Amelie. :sad:

sammy01
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:09 PM
i guess if we never see mary on court again i'll still have all those amazing memories, the olympics was my last hope mary would ever come back. i'll miss you mary, no one does drama or owns a tennis court like she did, 2005 was a year i'll treasure after watching you struggle so much after your 2000 french win!
not looking good for chakvetadze, my 2 favourite players have both been forced to quit before they wanted to give up (seles, mary), chaky please wrap yourself in cotton wool!

Legend1
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I am reallyyyy annoyed about this... Could she not have made her decision earlier.

Mauresmo really wanted to play these olympics, it was her last chance.

Selfish move by Mary if you ask me.

jonny84
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Its a shame for Mary. Wasn't she meant to be coming back in Budapest? I doubt we will see her play again - but players like Date and Shultz-Murphy have come back and had flirtations with doing well at WTA tournaments so we never know.

*Jool*
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:11 PM
car jouer pour mon pays mes derniers JO me tenaient très à cœur
(play for my country my last Olympics ...)

means we wont see Amélie on tour in 2012 ...

*Jool*
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:12 PM
by the way ... Mary :sobbing:
I still hope one day we'll get to see her back but I also start seriously doubting that and worrying .

sammy01
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:12 PM
people bashing mary for not pulling out earlier please fuck off, mary has to think about her own life and tennis and not worry about momo's. i dont think momo would have done anything differently had it been the other way round.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Mary will have some more Momo fans haters now.:p

So Disrespectful
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I was just thinking that. When I saw the thread I was like, Mary, I love your game and all that, but you were a real bitch to do that. :help:

Poor Amelie. :sad:

So you think Mary should have compromised her own best interests in case Amelie made an unexpected (and inexplicable) early decision to withdraw? We don't know where Mary stands in terms of recovery, she was just taking her time to ensure that the right decision was made. In fact, she could have left the decision even later if she thought she still had a slim chance of competing.

Any normal player would still take up that position, not much has changed in the last week. It's Amelie's own fault for acting irrationally out of spite and not being ranked high enough for a guaranteed position in the first place.

Zébulon
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:18 PM
The French Federation shouldn't have selected Mary in the first place, they're the ones Amélie blamed, not Mary. :shrug:
I thought Amélie might be selected for the singles and go now. :awww:

Slumpsova
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Mauresmo will swallow her pride and play for France :banana:

Zébulon
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:26 PM
FFT should ask Momo to get her back.
Exactly. :worship:

FRANCE TENNIS BEIJING/08 OLIMPICS TEAM case is one of most pathetic stories in new history of Olympics games :tape: :tape: :help: :tape:

Richard Gasquet
Marion Bartoli
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Alize Cornet
Paul-Henri Mathieu
Tatiana Golovin
Gilles Simon
Virginie Razzano
Mary Pierce
Amelie Mauresmo
Gael Monfils
Michael Llodra
Pauline Parmentier

bold - withdraw
blue - questionable

Three best ranked French players already withdraws (Gasquet, Bartoli and Tsonga) plus two most acomplished players Mauresmo and Pierce. Instead 4 TOP20 players, France will represent only at hardcourts useless Cornet (just 6 careers TOP100 wins out of clay - and she BTW retire from her todays match).

What a useless Tennis assotiation in country with big Tennis tradition :tape: After Mauresmo case i'm not surprised why nobody want to compete.

With Llodra and Parmentier to Olympic Gold :rocker2: Alez!
Cornet's injured ? I thought she withdrew because she was tired of her great run alst week.

Mauresmo will swallow her pride and play for France :banana:
I hope the FFT begs her to go. :devil:

Legend1
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I don't think that Amelie acted irrationally... Amelie was looking out for herself she couldn't afford to wait around on Marys decison not to play.

I hope that Amelie will swallow her pride and play for France... Its what she wants.

sharapovarulz1
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:29 PM
If her knee is still a problem 2 years on I am afraid it will never heal! I miss her though!!!

Fire_Fox
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:37 PM
F*ck, Mary!:mad: Please make a comeback as soon as possible!:sad:

olivero
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I hope at least Amelie will play...

Whitehead's Boy
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I am reallyyyy annoyed about this... Could she not have made her decision earlier.

She's entitled to make her decision when she wants to.

Mauresmo really wanted to play these olympics, it was her last chance.

No. If Mauresmo really wanted to play these Olympics, we would not have this discussion.

hablo
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Mary Pierce couldn't make this decision earlier ?

I'm glad Mauresmo made her decision to focus on the US Open instead. How this OG matter was handled by the French Federation was simply ridiculous.

hablo
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:09 PM
people bashing mary for not pulling out earlier please fuck off, mary has to think about her own life and tennis and not worry about momo's. i dont think momo would have done anything differently had it been the other way round.
If you say so. :rolleyes:

I don't think that Amelie acted irrationally... Amelie was looking out for herself she couldn't afford to wait around on Marys decison not to play.

:bowdown:

Slumpsova
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:11 PM
maybe Momo paid Mary to withdraw? :shrug: :p

Indytennis
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Mary Pierce couldn't make this decision earlier ?

I'm glad Mauresmo made her decision to focus on the US Open instead. How this OG matter was handled by the French Federation was simply ridiculous.

I agree Hablo..I hope Amelie doesnt change her mind or get talked into now going to the Olympics.
She has a silver medal...focus on the US Open and forget about the Olympics.

[S@nti]
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I really don't get when people say that Amelie doesn't have the time to prepare for the Olympics now... isn't she a professional athlete? isn't she supposed to be prepared? doesn't she train everyday? I quite don't get that... let's face it... she has been playing like shit lately, it's not like she's gonna prepare for the Olympics and win the whole thing out of the blue... If she really wants to play she will, that's for sure.

kwilliams
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Poor Mary!

The French still call is Pekin (Peking?)????

ce
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Mary should just retire and stop being so delusional about a thunderous comeback because it won't happen.

i have to agree 100 % :sad:

Juanes
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:23 PM
:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

:hysteric::crying2::tears::sobbing::sad:

Serval
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Those FFT cretins should be on their knees begging Momo to come back :mad:

LindsayRulz
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:27 PM

Lachrymarum
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Mary will be greatly missed :sad:

gmak
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:42 PM
:sad: :sad: :tears: :bigcry:
chances of seeing Mary back on a tennis court are slim :(

sucks for Amelie as well :(

Julian
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:45 PM
lol well i guess we can conclude that France wont medal this year!

Vamos.
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:56 PM

Well then you don't know Momo. Perhaps one of THE most caring individuals ever to play tennis. Yes, she would have.

Answer this: why couldn't that selfish wench pull out earlier? Sooooo selfish. I'm so glad her career is done and now I'm so happy she lost those two Slams finals in 2005; I never had her down as the selfish type, but oh my god. :tape:

Mary will have some more Momo fans haters now.:p

yep, I can now be added to that list. I kind of liked Mary beforehand but this is just disgusting.

So you think Mary should have compromised her own best interests in case Amelie made an unexpected (and inexplicable) early decision to withdraw? We don't know where Mary stands in terms of recovery, she was just taking her time to ensure that the right decision was made. In fact, she could have left the decision even later if she thought she still had a slim chance of competing.

Any normal player would still take up that position, not much has changed in the last week. It's Amelie's own fault for acting irrationally out of spite and not being ranked high enough for a guaranteed position in the first place.

No, its not compromising her own interests. Its just telling people what she clearly already knew and what was pretty much obvious: that she was never going to compete at Beijing. She could easily have announced this earlier.

Amelie did not act irrationally or out of spite; she acted exactly how she should've. She has been treated like crap by the FFT and now also by Mary. Absolutely ridiculous, considering she has 1 million times of a chance of winning anything at the Olympics than the likes of Pierce, Cornet or any other Frenchie. Totally ludicrous.

LCS
Jul 16th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Whatever...isn't this time for Pierce to move on and forget tennis? :( Now Amelie lost her place and the best France could come up was Pauline Parmentier :help:

thrust
Jul 16th, 2008, 06:07 PM

I agree. I also think Amelie used the placing of Mary on the team as an excuse. I do not think she really wanted to play singles, due to her form and injuries.

Whitehead's Boy
Jul 16th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Some people - who I assume are Amelie Mauresmo fans - seem to have trouble understanding the world doesn't revolve around Amelie Mauresmo.

The FFT picked players according to the ranking; they did not have to inform Mauresmo about that. So far I see nothing wrong with their attitude.

Mary Pierce is entitled to enter the tournament with her protected ranking. She is also entitled to withdraw when she wants to, like every other player on the circuit.

I see no difference between preparing for Cincinatti than preparing for the Olympics. In both cases, it involves practicing every day. I do not see any problem for Mauresmo to wait if she would have a spot for Beijing. If she refuses to wait, she clearly has no motivation to play Beijing.

So, really, I do see any problem. People are making up drama where there is none.

morbidangle
Jul 16th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Amelie and her fans need to get over themselves!

Cp6uja
The French Federation shouldn't have selected Lary in the first place, they're the ones Amélie blamed, not Mary. :shrug:
I thought Amélie might be selected for the singles and go now. :awww:lol well i guess we can conclude that France wont medal this year!Those FFT cretins should be on their knees begging Momo to come back :mad:Amelie did not act irrationally or out of spite; she acted exactly how she should've. She has been treated like crap by the FFT and now also by Mary. Absolutely ridiculous, considering she has 1 million times of a chance of winning anything at the Olympics than the likes of Pierce, Cornet or any other Frenchie. Totally ludicrous.Of course that French Federation is guilty, not Mary. They should say Razzano that she will be 1st reserve before situation about Pierce and Golovin will be more clean. In womens competition Mauresmo and Pierce is best French players in last 70 years, won 4 slams and FED CUP for France and reach #1 and #3 place in the worlds ranking (and Mauresmo is also silver medalist from last Olympics), so i dont think Razzano will complain b/c such logical decission... and chances that Pierce or Golovin will not play is very big. For example Russian Federation after stupid decission from Athens/04 to not select after RG/04 worse ranked than Petrova Wimbledon/04 champion Sharapova - this time already after Safina reach RG final involve her in team instead better ranked TOP8 Chakvetadze.

In tennis at Olympics (ATP/WTA) will be compete about 50 countries and about half of all withdraws players will be from same country - FRANCE So their Tennis Federation is simple Useless in best case. :tape::tape::tape:FRANCE TENNIS BEIJING/08 OLIMPICS TEAM case is one of most pathetic stories in new history of Olympics games :tape: :tape: :help: :tape:

Richard Gasquet
Marion Bartoli
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Alize Cornet
Paul-Henri Mathieu
Tatiana Golovin
Gilles Simon
Virginie Razzano
Mary Pierce
Amelie Mauresmo
Gael Monfils
Michael Llodra
Pauline Parmentier
...to be continue :devil:

bold - withdraw
blue - questionable

cn ireland
Mary :sad:! I kind of expected this but it would've been great to see her play!

I think we'll hear a retirement announcement very soon :sad:

danieln1
Jul 16th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Same with Jennifer, reading this news, i´m convinced Mary won´t ever return to the tour... God i´m so pissed

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 16th, 2008, 06:34 PM
:sad: I think Mary's done.

Vamos.
Jul 16th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Amelie and her fans need to get over themselves!

A huge amount of irnoy in this statement...based on the fact that there is only one person who clearly needs to get over themselves:

MARY PIERCE.

Il Primo!
Jul 16th, 2008, 06:54 PM

Oh, just take a chill pill. Tennis is an individual sport, Mary can do whatever floats her boat. And Momo had no chance in hell to perform in China so that doesn't change anything. Stop being delusional, she's old and burnt out.:wavey:

Why do the french continue to call Beijing, Pekin(g) :rolleyes:

You are freaking retarded. I don't even bother to answer you, your question is just as dumb as Bartoli is useless.

TennisPlayingFox
Jul 16th, 2008, 07:02 PM

morbidangle
Jul 16th, 2008, 07:18 PM
A huge amount of irnoy in this statement...based on the fact that there is only one person who clearly needs to get over themselves:

MARY PIERCE.
Oh the bitterness! :lol:

Vamos.
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Of course I'm bitter. :shrug:

Are you stupid?

Harvs
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:23 PM
shit as

Lulu.
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Mary. :sobbing:

I'm so sad she can't play and I have a bad feeling she may never come back.

oleada
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Realistically speaking, did anyone expect her to really play?
This is hardly a surprise.

Melly Flew Us
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:34 PM
what a shame for pierce and the fft; no pity for france as a whole, though, as i am sure that they will medal in other disciplines.

hope that amelie does not change her mind; though according to whitehead's boy she didn't want to go anyway.

morbidangle
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Of course I'm bitter. :shrug:

Are you stupid?
Apparently, not as much as you are! ;)

Williams-forever
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Didn't she mainly want to come back cause of the Olympics? I guess she has nothing to return for now then...:sad:

Andiyan
Jul 16th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Poor Mary!

The French still call is Pekin (Peking?)????
The Dutch say Peking as well.. :p

~Eclipsed~
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I'm not that surprised. I kinda expected it, actually.

I HIGHLY doubt we'll see her comeback now like others have said, since the Olympics sounded like her main reason for coming back. I just hope she doesn't pull a Capriati or Seles and waits a few more years to officially retire.

Lindsayfan32
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:29 AM
This is not a surprise sad to see it happen just the same. It makes me wonder if Lindsay will be the next olympic withdrawal.

young_gunner913
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Mary just retire. You've had a great career, go play World Team Tennis or something.

Shimizu Amon
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I still hope Mary is going to comeback. Too bad she wont be able to play during The Olympics.

Jojo_
Jul 17th, 2008, 12:21 PM
it's not a surprise !! I'm Mary's fan but now I'm perplexed !!

Mary was a great player but now it's finish, against the new generation, it will be hard for Mary. Mary please, retire you

Barbarela
Jul 17th, 2008, 12:40 PM

The portuguese say Pequim... what's the big deal? Portugal's capital is Lisboa and everybody says Lisbon!

peikko
Jul 17th, 2008, 04:45 PM

:rolleyes: She didn't ruin Amélie's chances to go. If Amélie really wanted to go she could have waited until Mary makes her decision.
I think Amélie simply got pissed off because she found out about the selection thru press instead of FFT and simply pulled out.
I feel :sad: about neither one of them going but then again Amélie still has a possibility to change her mind if she really wants to go.:p

Natalicious
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:00 AM

in german it's peking aswell ;)

mary :hug: i guess we'll never see you play again :awww:

it really sucks for amelie tho :o

Mr.Kardashian
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:38 AM
poor mary! thats sad news.... french prospects not looking good in Beijing

F-R-E-A-K
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:43 AM
:sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

Mary :sad: :hug:

Cp6uja
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Now Pierce is Copycat of Chakvetadze :tape: :rolleyes: :tape:

BTW did anybody else notice at WTA official site LATEST POLL (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/surveyresults.asp?ERMsg=)? They finaly realize that something is change with Belgium womens tennis... but somebody must inform mr Larry Scott about French current "problems" :p

flyingmachine
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:39 AM
poor mary! thats sad news.... french prospects not looking good in Beijing

That's very true indeed. :o I do wished Mary told us that earlier on. :rolleyes: So that Amelie not ended up withdraw it herself.
Sour Grapes for the French tennis Federation. :o :o :o

*Jool*
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:43 PM
stop complaining about Améie's withdrawal , people. She KNEW Mary was probably going to not be ready , so SHE could have waited a bit longer too before withdrawing :o

Dawson.
Jul 18th, 2008, 03:38 PM
just retire mary and put us all out of our misery already!

P_Fer
Jul 18th, 2008, 07:21 PM

RJWCapriati
Jul 19th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Shame to hear......The Olympics were the driving force behind all her rehabilitation and fitness work.......I don't see her giving up......if she is going out I think it will be on her terms........she'll play Roland Garros one final time.