PDA

View Full Version : Players you have done a 180 on?

hankqq
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:00 AM
As we all know, tennis fans are very passionate about who they cheer for/against in matches. We all have our favorites, as well as our least favorites. For some of us, those favorite/least favorite players remain constant throughout the years. I was wondering, how many of you have totally flipped your opinion of a player(s)? Are there any players you originally strongly disliked, but then a few years later/after a specific event you started cheering for them? Are there any players who were originally included in your list of faves, but then 1 day you totally turned against them?

For example, back in the day, I used to despise Hingis. I respected her as a player, but she annoyed the crap out of me. I hated the "Chuckie" smile, I hated her lack of a serve, and I couldn't stand the fact that she was #1 throughout most of 2000-2001 without winning a slam. Back then, Hingis couldn't and didn't lose often enough.

Fast forward to 2006-the return of Hingis. Instantly, I found myself cheering for her, and I was thrilled that she could return to such a high level of play so quickly after such a long break. After reading about all the experts who predicted she would fail in her comeback, I was delighted when Hingis flew up the rankings to #6, knocking out a bunch of top players along the way. I appreciated her style of play against the new girls, and came to love the "Chuckie smile". Of course, she never replaced my most favorite players, but she was a new addition to the ones I supported. Even after the alleged coke scandal, I'm still a fan of hers now.:angel::sad:

How about the rest of you?

skanky~skanketta
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:34 AM
From like to full-on hate: Serena Williams. But she's a unique case. Loved her when she burst onto the scene. Hated her after she beat Clijsters at the Australian Open then fell back in love with her in 2004. It's stupid, but I mainly hated her because of her fans. (I loved the big 4 - Justine, Kim, Venus and Serena so naturally when Serena fans started hating on Kim and Justine, I got pissed. At that point Kim and Justine weren't exactly winning everything, so I had to support the underdog!)

Full-on hate to like: Svetlana Kuznetsova. For a non-fan of Lindsay D, I found myself cheering for her to win the USO 2004. Things got worse when Sveta beat Elena! Then I remember reading an interview of hers where she said she was hurt because the prez of Russia called Myskina and Sharapova to congratulate them on the grand slams but she got nothing. I felt so bad. Stopped hating her, paid more attention and decided I like her game and more importantly, her personality.

starin
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Sharapova.
I realized that if I ignore most of her fans and ignore the media that's trying to shove her down my throat i actually kinda like her.

Mana
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Sharapova. I hated her for a long time, because of the success she had. But I've growen to kind of like her :hearts:

Ksenia.
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Serena :shrug: I never was a hater, but I disliked her. I'm not a fan now, but I kinda root for her :)

Elwin.
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:43 AM
From liking too hate:
Aga Radwanska

I can't really give a reason, i liked her when she came on the tour but when i saw her for the first time on tv i thought; she is boring :o and from then on , i started to hate her more and more

InsideOut.
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I did a 360 on Henin. I always liked her style and I supported her all the way up to 2006, almost cried when she lost the Wimbledon final to Mauresmo, but started disliking her after she humiliated Ana at the French Open in 2007. I started supporting her a bit more at YEC because I wanted her to beat Masha. I felt bad when she got bagelled by Masha and I was rooting for her during Antwerp and felt pretty terrible when she lost to Fran in Dubai. I felt even worse during Miami when she got humiliated by Serena but then I started hating on her again because she was back on the clay and she'll be bossing everyone around again. And then I supported Dinara when she beat her. And then she retired and I felt so bad. I watch her on Youtube a lot these days...she's amazing! :)

Droolv
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:00 AM
From liking to hating: Ana Ivanovic :tape: :o

Sharapowerr
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Ana Ivanovic, didn t like her , thought she was fake , because she was smiling all the time when talking now i like her , she s a sweet girl with real emotions, i don t hate tennisplayers , but i do dislike a few, Henin for example , she s like a robot..

Dave.
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Probably the closest one for me is Dementieva. Disliked her a few years ago when she was beating my faves (esp. Jen at the USO :sobbing:) with that rubbish serve, but then i started to really appreciate her game and fighting spirit and the fact that she got to where she is with that serve as an even bigger achievement. Now she's one of my favourite players.

Dani12
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:53 AM
First off I don't hate any tennis players, I don't know them and I think its childish to rubbish on someone you don't know. Used to be a fan of Chakvetadze, now her game gets on my nerves.

$uricate
Jul 16th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I agree with Danimoo, I dont hate any, you cant hate who you dont know.

That said, I used to like Safina, but then her behaviour and one-dimensional game made me stop cheering for her, then all the bandwagoning on this board completely finished her off for me.

I used to dislike Serena with a passion back in 02 but then I started to appreciate her in 04 and now I usually cheer for her against anyone but my faves.

I did a 360 turn on Maria Sharapova :crazy:

beatlessub
Jul 16th, 2008, 11:02 AM
from like to hate to like

lol ana ivanovic

love her but sometimes gets annoying

Nikkiri
Jul 16th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Few years ago Sharapova used to be my fave now I'm just neutral to her I guess.

arbalest
Jul 16th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I'm a Masha fan. Used to really not like Venus but have started warming to her a little because she's grown less immodest as she's grown older. I was rooting for her to win the Wimbledon final.

Medina
Jul 16th, 2008, 11:37 AM
martina Muller. But since the 08 Aus Open i really like her :D

FrenchY52
Jul 16th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I used to like Marion Bartoli in 2004 and before just because she was French and seemed to be cute and nice, I was rooting for her on her website and all, but when I started having interviews of her (around 2005) I realized that she was very pretentious, snobbish and boring.

The Daviator
Jul 16th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Nicole Vaidisova - Hated her in 2006, liked her in 2007, now neutral towards her.

Nadia Petrova - Liked her in 2006, now neutral.

eugreene2
Jul 16th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I use to like Kuznetsova but after watching her over & over, I realized she wasn't a fighter - haven't liked her since.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jul 16th, 2008, 11:52 AM
From 'hating' to liking:
1. Jankovic - I couldn't stand her a few years ago but then I realised what a great and entertaining person she was, someone who could smile even though she was losing :) now she's my favourite player :D
2. D.Safina - I strongly disliked her, everything about her irritated me. But during the Berlin tournament I loved her determination and I absolutely loved the way she defeated Williams and Henin. She's one of my big faves now :yeah:
3. V.Williams - I started liking her after Wimb 05 when she defeated Lindsay in that awesome final, I was happy for her and I loved the way she celebrated her win :)
4. P.Schnyder- I disliked her game and hated her tanking but one day I realised that I actually liked her, don't know what changed but now I cheer for her :)
5. K.Srebotnik - I disliked her game, there was nothing in it for me just in the past year but this year she's surprised me in a positive way and I've learned to appreciate her tennis and now I enjoy watching her.

From liking to disliking:
1. A.Chakvetadze - I don't even remember why I liked her :shrug:
2. S.Peer - I used to like her but now I just don't care much :shrug:

I think that's pretty much it :lol:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Sharapova.
I realized that if I ignore most of her fans and ignore the media that's trying to shove her down my throat i actually kinda like her.

well that's my reasoning too but i wouldn't say like lol...she's tolerable in my books

OsloErik
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I used to dislike Dementieva, back in 2000/2001, and then didn't really have much of an opinion on her in 2004. Starting in 2006, though, I've really come around and I cheer for her more often than not.

I also really never cared for Jelena Jankovic back in 2004 and 2005, when she had her first mini-breakthrough to the top 30, but in 2006 I became a huge fan, and really pulled for her to win the French in '07. She's still quietly in my top 5 on tour.

Slutiana
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:30 PM
1. I used to really dislike hingis back in the 00s (I only started watching tennis around 2000) but then when she came back on tour in 06 I started to root for her (and then of course she played doubles with Tati in Gold Coast or something) I really started to like her game and she's a great player to watch and the smile... :lol:

2. I used to like Radwanska and got really excited when she beat.. oh, no rather Sharapova lost toher, but now I just find her boring. :yawn: Even talking about her is boring.

3. As with most people on this forum I quite liked Ana, I even rooted to her to win the 07 FO but now I'm a known hater (I don't hate her, just dislike her more than any other player on earth. :wavey:)

4. Henin is another one. Never liked her, never thought I would, but after 07 and then when she retired i've come to appreciate her personality and game... Her match against Venus in the USO was a classic and she will be missed. :awww:

5. Maria. I used to dislake her the most but now although I don't yet 'like her' she's tolerable to me and her personality seems pretty cool offcourt.

kittyking
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I thought it was absolutely adorable when Maria Sharapova stopped the Wimbledon Ceremony to (try too) call her mum.

It's a pity that she's gone from a happy go lucky teen to a grump old fart :tape:

Miss Amor
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Davenport...i have started liking her a lot after 2005

kittyking
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Oh woops

Hated Davenport for most of her career.........but then she came to NZ and said heaps of wonderful things about the place. Davenport rules :rocker2:

Darop.
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Loved Ivanovic in her challenger days/when she first burst out on tour, can't stand her now :o

kinseh
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:16 PM
From disliking to liking

1. Amélie Mauresmo - I used to dislike her heavily for no reason, but after watching her at Antwerp '06 I became a fan. I'm not that big of a fan anymore, but I still root for her.
2. Maria Sharapova - I've always thought she was annoying, overrated etc., but after the YEC final last year I've started liking her. I'm no fan, but I do root for her.
3. Serena Williams - I don't know what did it or when it happened, but I went from disliking her to really liking her. She's got personality and makes the tour less boring.

From liking to disliking

1. Anna Chakvetadze - I'm no hater, but I just find her really, really boring. :shrug:

That's it for now, can't think of others.

sharapovarulz1
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Agnieszka Radwanska but now I highly respect and love her :D

Vaidisova Ruled
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Nicole Vaidisova - Hated her in 2006, liked her in 2007, now neutral towards her
Why did you hate her?

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Nadia Petrova - Liked her in 2006, now neutral.

a bit of glory hunting :lol: moved on to the current star i see :spit:

ce
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:40 PM
ivanovic,i liked her now i hate her

Costanza
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Jankovic,i liked her now i hate her

Hachiko
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Dushevina, Krasnoroutskaya, Sharapova. They were my favourites at one stage. Jankovic too.

sunsfuns
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Venus Williams - used to dislike her in the early days. Still not a big fan, but now I cheer for her occasionally and was actually happy to see her win another Wimbledon.

Bartoli - used to like her before her Wimbledon breakthrough, but then she spent all her 15 minutes of fame whining and moaning. Don't like people of that sort...

The Daviator
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Why did you hate her?

I remember disliking her cos of the way she treated the ballkids at RG '06 :lol: That was it :p

a bit of glory hunting :lol: moved on to the current star i see :spit:

Yup :D

miffedmax
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I was really down on Kuzzy after the US Open '04 and the cough syrup thing, but she's actually such a fun character that I kind of like her now, though she's not necessarily a favorite.

supergrunt
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I know this is a women's forum but...I used to cheer Federer as hard as I cheered Serena. Same with Blake. Now, I do not root for them :shrug: . Can you also believe that I used to like Justine Henin when I first started watching tennis? Then I found out what she did...

Vamos.
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:50 PM
No 180s or 360s I guess. I stand pretty firm in my convictions.

I do have a permanent circle of hatred for that loser Hantuchova. And a circle of utter contempt for Henin. Apart from that, I don't massively dislike any players.

slamchamp
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Serena: almost always wanted her to win, now neutral

ninanina19
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I used to hate Jankovic in 2005/2006 especially when during the FO 2006 she turned and told Mauresmo to "stop hitting the lines". I was like :help: . I also disliked Henin but now I've come to respect her game. I never really disliked Chakvetadze but until US Open 07 I never realized how interesting her game was and how intelligently she played. I also dislike Bartoli but now I enjoy watching her play.

ninanina19
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I was really down on Kuzzy after the US Open '04 and the cough syrup thing, but she's actually such a fun character that I kind of like her now, though she's not necessarily a favorite.

Yeah, same here.

Malva
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:03 PM
From liking too hate:
Aga Radwanska

I can't really give a reason, i liked her when she came on the tour but when i saw her for the first time on tv i thought; she is boring :o and from then on , i started to hate her more and more

Everybody knows the reason. It's kind of public knowledge: you turned 180 degrees against her when she stopped playing with Misa. Misa is unfortunately a failure, Agnieszka is not. Don't try to rationalize your ulterior motives.

ivanovic,i liked her now i hate her

Jankovic,i liked her now i hate her

This is what we call Mirror Symmetry in Physics.

sammy01
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:35 PM
i have an odd 'relationship' with serena, i've always been a fan as such and have always routed for her against anyone thats not my favourite, i also was totaly behind her at the oz open '07 after she beat petrova when it looked like an early exit. but her fans are so ignorant (granted not all but too may for it to be coincidence), some of there posts on here make me want to scream. its as if some of the posters on here talk with the attitude they support serena, shes won 8 slams, their opinion is more valid. its very easy to support someone who wins alot and can be labeled best of her generation but it dosen't make that posters opinions true. i guess serenas a bit arrogant and it rubs off on her fans, she has a right to be shes earned 8 slams, her fans have sat back and watched. so with every great win that i want to celebrate of serenas her fans take the edge off it for me. i know i should judge serena on serena but her, her aura, her fans, celebrity and all seem to be a package.

LDF
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I really didn't like Petrova up until the beginning of 2007 but now I do.

Ditto for Vaidisova, although I've only grown to like her since Wimbledon '07.

I was beginning to warm to Radwanska but then last year's US Open came about [yes I was bitter :tape:], and from the onwards my disinclination to her has grown. Meh.

I've done a 360 on Dinara. :p [Like --> Hate --> Like]

tennnisfannn
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:55 PM
No 180s or 360s I guess. I stand pretty firm in my convictions.

I do have a permanent circle of hatred for that loser Hantuchova. And a circle of utter contempt for Henin. Apart from that, I don't massively dislike any players.
:haha::haha::haha:You really are passionate. Personally I love all players unitll they cross a line and that line is saying anything remotely negative about Venus and Serena and that includes Mary carillo who I have never heard commentate but I in wisdom choose to believe the members on this board. I am not too thrilled about that Maria Alvis-or-whatever-her-name-umpire-is and don't get me started on Ted-I-cannot-count-Watts.
As for players i cannot stand they are all in the ATP, Oliver Rochus and now Tipsaravic are on my hit list. I went from neutrl as far as they are concerned to full on contempt.
I only love Safina coz Safin gives me so little to cheer about.

Mightymirza
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:26 PM
i used to be biggest fan of clijsters back in 2003 and dint much like justine and was pissed when justine beat Kim in 2004 AO final..:lol: but then after 2004 olympics, I started liking justine more and more and soon she was my favorite and forgot about kim :lol:

Julian
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Justine Henin! Kind of liked her when she came on the tour, then did not like her in 2003-2004 (ironically when she became one of the best), i started liking her again when she played Serena at last years U.S. Open. Her game totally won my respect, too bad she retired. :(
Ive always been neutral with Serena and Venus, but now i am starting to get annoyed with Venus winning Wimbledon haha!!

Malva
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:50 PM
An interesting thread.

I am not sure I can contribute since I never descend to hating a tennis player. So in my case, I can relate only a few stories about warming to a player who I didn't like initially, and cooling towards somebody who I was cheering before.

I cheered for Serena in the beginning of her career. I still respect Serena for her achievements and ability but do not cheer for her as I did in the past. Probably I am too attracted to underdogs. Another thing is that Serena represents very athletic type of tennis. Not what I cherish in ladies' tennis. You can't have elegance and athleticism at once. In any case, Serena is a supreme case for matching skills with power.

I was cheering for Sharapova since the beginning. But to be honest, I never enjoyed her game. I still respect her and think highly of her cerebral and moral qualities. She has real class. I am not really rooting for her anymore.

The case with Agnieszka Radwańska. I didn't know much about the girl before US Open 2007, and frankly, I didn't care to know. Her match against Maria won me over, but only after the Australian Open I realized that her game was an embodiment of what I cherish in women's tennis: finesse, intelligence, excellent touch. So I like her now very much, and I don't find any other player with such qualities. I will support her as long as she continues playing this way, whether she ever wins grand slams or not.

Svetlana Kuznetsova: here my path was from cold neutrality to warmer feelings. A very worthy player permanently in the shadow of her glamorous rivals. And I like her humility.

It took me a long time to warm up towards Justine Hénin. But undeniable qualities of her game and character won me over.

The last case: Hingis. I disliked her quite intensely during her initial meteoric rise to fame and the period of her total domination. And never more so than when she snatched a victory from the jaws of defeat in her first Wimbledon Final against Jana Novotná, who was my favorite female player at the time. Martina from the start had it all: fame, trophies, money, and all the luck. With this often comes hubris. It was her hubris that was putting me off.

A few years later, however, when she was more and more fighting a loosing battle between beauty and power in ladies' tennis, on behalf of beauty, I had no choice but to cheer for her, so I ended up being Martina's supporter.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:50 PM
- Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova, Kim Clijsters, Martina Hingis: I hated them all when I first started following the game due to immaturity, largely. Aside from Sharapova, I don't really know why I hated them, but I would imagine it was mostly out of jealousy, or beating my favorites at the time quite a bit/being the best. I kind of beat myself in the head now for hating Kim back in the day. Since she retired I've seen a lot of her matches against Dementieva, and not only did they seem to always have really fun matches, I love her game. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Sharapova and Williams now. I still don't really give two rat's asses about Hingis, but I respect her and what she did for the game.

- Patty Schnyder: :lol: I thought she was so useless back in the day. I didn't see where all this supposed talent she had was, and I thought it was an absolute joke she was top ten. Again, though, seeing some matches against Dementieva, particularly the '06 Paris [i] QF, showed to me "Wow, this bitch can be brilliant." Since then, especially with talking to iPatty (luvuboo), has softened me up on the Peppermint One. I tend to root for her in every match she plays aside from a few spare people. I'd be a fan if I cared enough about her. Hopp Patty. :lol:

- Anna Chakvetadze: I don't really know why I liked her at first. I saw her Montreal semifinal against Hingis, liked her game a bit, felt her injury robbed her of a potential win, and followed her results for the rest of the year. I remember REALLY wanting her to win Guangzhou...and she did. I remember REALLY wanting her to lose to Dementieva in Moscow...and she didn't. I never forgave her for that. Plus her horrible attitude on court, relative lack of talent beyond ball re-direction, and beating Venus in San Diego (by far the worst I've ever reacted to a favorite of mine losing, I kind of went psycho) were all just the final straw. I try not to rag on her too much on the board since I like sammy01 and a few other Anna fans, but WOW I really do not like this girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it seems that's a common trait throughout most of this board....as long as everyone knows I was the first hardcore Anna hater, I'm good.

Other players I felt positively toward I either am neutral about or dislike now: Jankovic, Vaidisova, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Pennetta.

Other players I felt negatively toward I either am neutral about or like now: Szavay, Dulko, Medina Garrigues, Schiavone.

guapogreg08
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:51 PM
i used to be neutral towards ivanovic but now with the AJDEs and the COME ONs, among other things, i despise her

danieln1
Jul 16th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Serena! I used to hate her when she dominated beating all of my faves until 2003 but now I like her a lot!

In The Zone
Jul 16th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I used to like Ana. No way anymore.

I used to like Elena. Lost all respect for her.

I used to dislike AnnaC for all her crying and retirements. But after seeing her live, she is so cute and so sweet! Really genuine, wears her heart on her sleeve.

I used to like Tu before I met her. Biggest biatch. (For what reason, who knows.)

I used to dislike Kudryavtseva because she almost beat Venus. :o But she is so amazing and so sweet. Met her at Forest Hills. She is a great person.

Lunaris
Jul 16th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Believe it or not, I used to like the Williams sisters back in 99-01. But that was then.

vma
Jul 16th, 2008, 07:14 PM
i used to hate Hingis when Graf was still playing
it all changed completely after Steffi retired
Hingis was my no.1 for many years to come

roxi
Jul 16th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I used to dislike Davenport(before 2000), not anymore!!!

cn ireland
Jul 16th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I never liked the games of Hingis and Davenport in the late 90's but I really supported them on their respective comebacks:)!

spiritedenergy
Jul 16th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Seles and Graf. In the late 80ies early 90ies I used to hate Seles and support Graf. Then I completely changed my mind and now Seles is my favorite player and Graf is just, well, kind of a cheater.

supergrunt
Jul 16th, 2008, 07:26 PM
An interesting thread.

I am not sure I can contribute since I never descend to hating a tennis player. So in my case, I can relate only a few stories about warming to a player who I didn't like initially, and cooling towards somebody who I was cheering before.

I cheered for Serena in the beginning of her career. I still respect Serena for her achievements and ability but do not cheer for her as I did in the past. Probably I am too attracted to underdogs. Another thing is that Serena represents very athletic type of tennis. Not what I cherish in ladies' tennis. You can't have elegance and athleticism at once. In any case, Serena is a supreme case for matching skills with power.

I was cheering for Sharapova since the beginning. But to be honest, I never enjoyed her game. I still respect her and think highly of her cerebral and moral qualities. She has real class. I am not really rooting for her anymore.

The case with Agnieszka Radwańska. I didn't know much about the girl before US Open 2007, and frankly, I didn't care to know. Her match against Maria won me over, but only after the Australian Open I realized that her game was an embodiment of what I cherish in women's tennis: finesse, intelligence, excellent touch. So I like her now very much, and I don't find any other player with such qualities. I will support her as long as she continues playing this way, whether she ever wins grand slams or not.

Svetlana Kuznetsova: here my path was from cold neutrality to warmer feelings. A very worthy player permanently in the shadow of her glamorous rivals. And I like her humility.

It took me a long time to warm up towards Justine Hénin. But undeniable qualities of her game and character won me over.

The last case: Hingis. I disliked her quite intensely during her initial meteoric rise to fame and the period of her total domination. And never more so than when she snatched a victory from the jaws of defeat in her first Wimbledon Final against Jana Novotná, who was my favorite female player at the time. Martina from the start had it all: fame, trophies, money, and all the luck. With this often comes hubris. It was her hubris that was putting me off.

A few years later, however, when she was more and more fighting a loosing battle between beauty and power in ladies' tennis, on behalf of beauty, I had no choice but to cheer for her, so I ended up being Martina's supporter.

:rolleyes: That was the stupidest reason for not rooting for someone that I have ever heard (the Serena one).

Broken Racquet
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:35 PM
From like to dislike:
1. Serena Williams: i always considered her as a legend and had lots of respect to her, but some of her fans turned me off with bringing up their racists discussions at any possible occasions. So my judgements of Serena may be now very biased.
2. Sharapova: I just realized she is not as good as she was hyped about.

From dislike to like:
1. Petrova: i didn't have much respect of her, as I heard she is a mental case, but this season I realized this was not true and she is a cool gal and she can play very competitive tennis
2. Venus Williams: after being turned off by her sister's fans, I became rooting more for Venus, and now I consider her as the most respect-worthy player on the tour.
3. Radwanska: in the beginning I though she is very boring, but when I learned more about tennis, I started to understand more her game and realized that her tennis is very exciting and full of great smart actions.

supergrunt
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:35 PM
It is unfortunate that people let fans of a certain player turn them of :sad: .

OsloErik
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:18 PM

Or it's unfortunate that certain fans are so obnoxious that they turn off others to that player. Whichever way you look at it, yes, it is unfortunate.

Harvs
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:19 PM
vaidisova... used to love her.

lol i really need to update my sig

Harvs
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:20 PM
oh and i used to hate jankovic... ages ago.

now i love her:)

technique90
Jul 17th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Jankovic

Vincey!
Jul 17th, 2008, 12:04 AM
In 2003 when I started to watch tennis I was a huge fan of Justine Henin-Hardenne :p ....but now I hate her and I'm glad she retired :lol:

Andrew Laeddis
Jul 17th, 2008, 12:08 AM

Its quite ridiculous as well.

There isnt really anyone that I really changed my opinion on. Most people I liked, I still like and most players I disliked, I still dislike. The only two exceptions are Serena and Hantuchova. I went from disliking Serena to being indifferent/neutral but I doubt I'll ever be a fan. I went from somewhat liking Hantuchova to disliking her.

Broken Racquet
Jul 17th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Its quite ridiculous as well.

yeah, there you go again...

Lunaris
Jul 17th, 2008, 12:50 AM
yeah, there you go again...
:lol:

I would good rep you again if I could.

miss_molik
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Serena :shrug: I never was a hater, but I disliked her. I'm not a fan now, but I kinda root for her :)
Yeah, i'm the same. I didn't like her at all when i first got in to tennis, for no reason at all, maybe because i was a huge justine fan and i couldn't like both, but i don't know, now that justine has retired i'm kind of rooting for serena. I felt really sorry for her when she lost wimbledon, she looked so sad:sad:
And i've found that venus is pretty cool :)

I used to like ana, like everyone else, but she annoys the hell out of me now

Jankovic, i didn't like, now i do, i think she's really funny:p

Also, i used to really dislike federer, but now i love him to bits!!!:hearts::angel:

égalité
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:03 AM
I used to love Henin and Serena. :spit:

After Wimbledon 2001, Henin was my favorite for a while, but that started to wane after the 2003 French Open, and it was full-on hatred after the 2004 Australian Open. :help:

I've come around about 45 degrees back to liking her recently, though.

And I despised Capriati with every fiber of my being, especially after the 2002 AO, but in her last few years on tour I really rooted for her to win the U.S. Open.

Malva
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I've come around about 45 degrees back

45° back?

Craig.
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Ana - Used to hate her, indifferent to her now.
Serena - Loved her in her dominant years, can't stand her now.

égalité
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:19 AM
45° back?

Yes... I like her slightly more, but not a full 180 ;)

Dawson.
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:21 AM
used to like jankovic, now i dont. i dont hate her, it just annoys me that shes #2 in the world without even reaching a slam final. her behaviour at this years wimbledon was also annoying. she shouldnt complain about what court she is put on until she actually proves herself. her voice is also increasingly annoying me

Uranium
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:22 AM
In 2004, I hated Davenport, but now like her.
Capriati-same as
Chakvetadze-liked her until USO SF where she was :o and then Fed Cup vs. Israel where she was a bitch to the crowd and then I hated her
Krajicek-liked her, but not anymore, i hate her.

dybbuk
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Sharapova. I didn't like her at all in 2004, it took a while for her to grow on me. She's one of my favorites now. :)

Radwanska and Dementieva are two players I originally liked, but now they both annoy me.

cometz9
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I used to like Sharapova when i first saw her at 2003 Wimbledon but i became indifferent after 2004 YEC Final.

sasha&tennis
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Sharapova=total dislike forever
Elena=use to like but have lost all respect for
Vaidisova=use to like but cannot stand now
Jankovic=couldn't stand at first then started to like, now on the verge of disliking again because of all the drama & medical time-outs.

sammy01
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:38 AM
In 2004, I hated Davenport, but now like her.
Capriati-same as
Chakvetadze-liked her until USO SF where she was :o and then Fed Cup vs. Israel where she was a bitch to the crowd and then I hated her
Krajicek-liked her, but not anymore, i hate her.

i knew you hated chaky, but to hate her because she got nervous in her 1st slam semi and got jeered, booed and whistled by a out of order crowd when she had done nothing wrong bar play tennis for her country, then when she stood upto it you dislike her for it? i just cant work that out!!!!!!

Malva
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Yes... I like her slightly more, but not a full 180 ;)

I loved that fresh expression: 45° back...

kinglear
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Well, I wouldn't call it a 180, but I'm really starting to like Marion Bartoli. I think she creates amazing angles and she hits the ball very cleanly. Before I just thought her Wimbledon run was a fluke and then her slump that followed only confirmed my disinterest in her. But now after watching some of her matches, I'm starting to see how her game can be dangerous when on. :)

Cat123
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:55 AM
This Wimbledon I've kinda warmed to the Williams sisters. Serena's attitude when she loses still annoys the shit out of me. And she beat Beth... But away from tennis she seems quite alright. And Venus I never disliked, I just didn't like her either, but now I find her charming in interviews and like her attitude a lot more than her sisters. And she was sweet about Laura Robson, so that gets bonus points. And after seeing them both play in the flesh, my goodness they're amazing at what they do. I'd still rather watch players who don't rely on power. But to get where they are and stay there for so long I find pretty cool. And they seem to be the only players on tour now that command respect from the younguns!