PDA

View Full Version : Stanford 1R : [Q] Aleksandra Wozniak (CAN) Def. [8] Francesca Schiavone 2-6 6-3 6-2

LindsayRulz
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Aleks :yeah:

Daniela-Is-Mine
WHat a pitiful choke:o

vw.
Great win for Aleks! Awesome ace #6 to win MP!

Uranium
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:33 PM
:o, and to think I chose Franny for suicide today:yawn:

Craig.
Allez, Aleks! :bounce:

Vincey!
Aleks played really well, ending that match with an ace :rocker2:....Goodluck in the next round :hearts:

ASP0315
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:35 PM
good one alek$$$$$. :yeah:

maxomax
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Wow Aleks you impress me with all those good performance lately! Well done and keep going!

RenaSlam.
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Damn.

Fretchap
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Aleks really raising her game level these last tournaments :D

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:38 PM
A win against a top twenty player :D:D
Plus now she plays Bammer who she beat at the French this year 0 and 2

*Joey*
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Great match Aleks! :)
Good luck against Bammer!!

sammy01
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:41 PM
WHat a pitiful choke:o

what match did you watch, fran played pretty good tennis in the 1st set, but aleks was more incontrol in the 2nd and 3rd sets and upped her game as frans went sounth. no choking involved!

Josh.
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:41 PM
:unsure:

Cat's Pajamas
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Well done Aleks. :worship: :D

Now make the QF ;)

416_Man
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Aleks was trash in the beginning. Franita was trash in the end.

This match is another reason why, although I love women's tennis, it's about as marketable as a hooker without a vagina.

King Of Tennis
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:47 PM
bff...:embarrassment:

Francesca loses a lot of matches very simple for her...damn..

hablo
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Another awesome win for Aleks! :banana:

WOW! :eek:

daniel122292
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Wow thats a Suprise

matthieu_tennis
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Good win for aleks :):)

Malva
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Another case confirming my suspicion that jet lag tiredness has much to do with some of the big surprises we are seeing happening in Palo Alto.

Pasta-Na
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:33 AM
no luck, franny :o even lindsay davenport withdrew :fiery:

cellophane
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Wow. :eek:

But WD Aleks.

d_s
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Very nice win for Aleks :yeah:
Good luck to her against Bammer :D

~CANUCK~
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Another case confirming my suspicion that jet lag tiredness has much to do with some of the big surprises we are seeing happening in Palo Alto.

What would Jet lag have to do with this event. Most of the players in this event haven't played since Wimby. If they are still jet lagged that's pathetic, they have had 2 weeks to get there in time.

Ryan
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Yeah jet lag isn't an excuse for most of these players. :lol:

WD to Aleks, with her power she should beat players like Schiavone on hardcourts IMO.

Malva
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:52 AM
What would Jet lag have to do with this event. Most of the players in this event haven't played since Wimby. If they are still jet lagged that's pathetic, they have had 2 weeks to get there in time.

I am ready to explain.

For most of European players this is their first tournament on the American soil. If they come from places like Italy, Poland, Czech republic, they travel for at least 18 hours crossing 9 time zones. If you are coming from Moscow, your travel will be even longer, and you would be passing through 11 time zones. The Argentinian, Gisela Dulko, if she came from Buenos Aires, was also travelling minimum 15 hours -- I know that because I was returning from Buenos Aires once as well.

I happen to live very near to Palo Alto where the tournament is taking place. Every time I return to San Francisco from Europe I feel sleepy, sluggish, and tired for several days in a row. You can sit, relax, and sip cappuccino fine, but doing something serious is difficult.

I have been flying to California from Europe a couple of dozen times and always I have been experiencing the problems with jet lag. Believe me, I am not exaggerating. It lasts for about 10 days and sometimes hits you really strong on the 5th or 6th day after arrival.

~CANUCK~
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:12 AM
I am ready to explain.

For most of European players this is their first tournament on the American soil. If they come from places like Italy, Poland, Czech republic, they travel for at least 18 hours crossing 9 time zones. If you are coming from Moscow, your travel will be even longer, and you would be passing through 11 time zones. The Argentinian, Gisela Dulko, if she came from Buenos Aires, was also travelling minimum 15 hours -- I know that because I was returning from Buenos Aires once as well.

I happen to live very near to Palo Alto where the tournament is taking place. Every time I return to San Francisco from Europe I feel sleepy, sluggish, and tired for several days in a row. You can sit, relax, and sip cappuccino fine, but doing something serious is difficult.

I have been flying to California from Europe a couple of dozen times and always I have been experiencing the problems with jet lag. Believe me, I am not exaggerating. It lasts for about 10 days and sometimes hits you really strong on the 5th or 6th day after arrival.

That's fine an all, but its not an excuse. They have had 2 weeks to get to Stanford to avoid Jet Lag. Its not like this tournament was added 2 days ago. These are professionals who know how to prepare for tournaments all over the world. I highly doubt the whole tour forget to factor in Jet lag this week.

Vincey!
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:28 AM
That's fine an all, but its not an excuse. They have had 2 weeks to get to Stanford to avoid Jet Lag. Its not like this tournament was added 2 days ago. These are professionals who know how to prepare for tournaments all over the world. I highly doubt the whole tour forget to factor in Jet lag this week.

I'm quite agreed with that...Players are used to jet lag and they know how to prepare for their tournments so that was not a reason..Fran didn'T play her best tennis all the match long, but in the first set she was Aleks has just been able to turn it around. Sometimes I wondering if Aleks doesn't make other players playing bad because she put too much pressure on them...

stevos
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:53 AM
I am ready to explain.

Sorry, but these are professional tennis players. They spend their year flying around the world. I'm sure they build a slight immunity to jet lag, or find strategies for avoiding this.
Also, Aleks was at Wimbledon for about as long as Francesca. Shouldn't it affect them both then?

ANYWAY great win Aleks! Holy shit, where's all this coming from then?

Ryan
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:00 AM
I was pumped because I thought Frank held off to beat Reynolds....wrong. :fiery: Yeah if a player is only traveling to Stanford 4 days before a Tier 2 they deserve to get jet lag. :shrug: And we're forgetting that a ton of players live/train in the States.

Malva
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:06 AM

Sounds good in theory. I am sure, however, that many players feel that it would be very expensive to come to Northern California 2 weeks ago.

The disproportion between the earnings of even #10 and #50 is enormous.

Many probably think that even when far from being at their usual level they would still get through the qualies or the first round. Also, some may have underestimated the impact of jet lag in this particular case. It is substantially worse than if they were playing on the East Coast.

When I wrote my post I didn't mean it as an excuse, especially that none of the players who lost is my favorite, just to mitigate the ardor of some posters who may be reading too much in unexpected successes of their favorite players.

Vincey!
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Well the only unexpeceted result is Aleks win over Schiavone, all the others aren't that surprising. So I don't see why you are telling there are unexpected results:confused:...Anyway I just think that jet lag shouldn't be an issue for players who are at that level.

Malva
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Well the only unexpeceted result is Aleks win over Schiavone, all the others aren't that surprising. So I don't see why you are telling there are unexpected results:confused:...Anyway I just think that jet lag shouldn't be an issue for players who are at that level.

De Brito beating Domachowska in the 1st round of qualies 6:0 6:1 with people watching the match saying that Domachowska 9 times out of 10 when touching the ball was producing an unforced error. That report triggered my suspicion. Then again she beat Gisela Dulko. Nobody expected that at all either.

Also people reporting on Nadia Petrova's doubles match today were saying that she was playing as if she played doubles the first time in her life.

Pretty strong statements in my opinion. And the last statement comes from somebody very knowledgeable about tennis.

Vincey!
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:28 AM
De Brito beating Domachowska in the 1st round of qualies 6:0 6:1 with people watching the match saying that Domachowska 9 times out of 10 when touching the ball was producing an unforced error. That report triggered my suspicion. Then again she beat Gisela Dulko. Nobody expected that at all either.

Also people reporting on Nadia Petrova's doubles match today were saying that she was playing as if she played doubles the first time in her life.

Pretty strong statements in my opinion. And the last statement comes from somebody very knowledgeable about tennis.

Well Petrova, Domachowska, Dulko weren't miss consistancy this season, I don't see why it's that surprising. Yeah Domachowska winning only 1 game is surprising but isn't that Marta? :lol:..(maybe the jet lag might explain her poor performance but still it shouldn't) Dulko losing is never surprising to me...out of clay she can lose to everyone in first round...and I saw both Petrova matches...in single she wasn't that bad, actually she was playing better than I would think...but in double :tape:..it was horrible, Dani hit more than 75% of the balls :lol:...Petrova wasn't moving...it seems like a bad communication to me and maybe the fact that she was tired of her single. Maybe lol. Btw Michelle beat 2 of the players you mentioned :p..it never came to your mind that perhaps Michelle is playing good tennis this week (just a suposition, I was quite surprise to see her results this week, but her opponents weren't the most consistent so )

Anyway all I'm saying it that jet lag shouldn't be a problem for those players who are playing all around the world week in and week out. They know how to deal with that, it's not like if it was a junior.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Lindsay would have beaten her with one leg.:(

Aleks!:yeah:
Fran :silly:

P_Fer
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Good win Aleks! Keep it up :)

Malva
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:00 AM
it never came to your mind that perhaps Michelle is playing good tennis this week (just a suposition, I was quite surprise to see her results this week, but her opponents weren't the most consistent so )

Certainly it came, but I also was following her other matches against players ranked something like #326 and being 5 years older than her, and though she won you wouldn't guess the ranking of her opponents from the scores. A good example: Radwańska, the paragon of consistency, losing in the first round in Hobart, and the same Radwańska two weeks later beating in a row several opponents including #2 seed, reaches the Quarterfinal of the Australian Open.

Another, perhaps even better eaxample, Eraković beating #1 seed Zvonareva on Jan 3 in Auckland, New Zealand. Eraković at that time was oustide Top 100. I don't think she has as yet repeated a similar result. Do I need to add that Eraković is from New Zealand, so she was acclimatized while Zvonareva wasn't?

Anyway all I'm saying it that jet lag shouldn't be a problem for those players who are playing all around the world week in and week out. They know how to deal with that, it's not like if it was a junior.

This is actually much less so than many would like to believe in this forum. I quite often hear from players about how they struggle with acclimatization, or rather with the lack of it, and generally try to avoid moving from one part of the world to another in quick succession.

Vincey!
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Certainly it came, but I also was following her other matches against players ranked something like #326 and being 5 years older than her, and though she won it you wouldn't guess the ranking of her opponents from the scores. A good example: Radwańska, the paragon of consistency, losing in the first round in Hobart, and the same Radwańska two weeks later beating in a row several opponents including #2 seed, reaches the Quarterfinal of the Australian Open.

This is actually much less so than many would like to believe in this forum. I quite often hear from players about how they struggle with acclimatization, or rather with the lack of it, and generally try to avoid moving from one part of the world to another in quick succession.

I know what you mean, I understand it. I just don't think that it should be an issue for top tennis players..they are used to the condition of the tour, they are used to travel. They know how they will react to the travel. Even more a player with so much experience as Petrova or Schiavone. If they lost it's only because their opponents were playing well. That's all I'm saying, if they have jet lag, that's their faults, they knew it.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:10 AM
What an impressive win for ALEKS:worship:.

Franny :kiss:. Good luck in LA.

Mitch01
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Awesome Aleks :D She looks like she's gotten into good shape and is moving sooo much better on the court. She always had the big serve and groundies, it's about time she started stringing some good results together!

jonny84
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Good win for Wozniak. Coming through qualifying obviously helped her here and now she is in the second round. :yeah:

FORZA SARITA
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Francesca:weirdo:

matthieu_tennis
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:31 PM
If you look at the match, you can see that schiavone was able to hit the ball pretty well, and aleks put alot of pressure on her with her big serve on the t and her powerful shots. WEll DOne wozniak !!