PDA

View Full Version : Dominika Cibulkova def. (7) Nadia Petrova, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3.

Sorana_Cirstea
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Is anyone shocked by this result? I am not. I think that Dominika has the drive to do well, and Nadia is always struggling to find that one thing to keep her having a solid season, with solid results. Domi came out pretty hungry for this wing, and she really, really showed it. Like she did against Elena D. at Wimbledon, Nadia fought back but then she sort of just seemed to go away, like at Wimbledon. I love Nadia, but I think that this is one part of her game that definitely needs work if she plans on being a Top 10 competitor again anytime soon.

This was a amazing, and hard fought win for Domi.

Congrats. : )

Elwin.
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Nadia :mad: :sobbing:

Domi :yeah:

Russianboy
omg nadia! again :o

Natash.
Domi is such a fighter. So many times she brought herself back into the points. Improved that defensive slice so much. That forehand dtl. :hearts: Solid.

*Jean*
Nadia :sad: Bad final set after such a big effort in the second set... :sad:

NyCPsU
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Domi was just to solid overall. Her game really improves more every time I see her play. Was so impressed with her defensive slice today, it was driving Nadia mad. :worship:

AndreConrad
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Dominika, well done :yeah:

Dodoboy.
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I love domi!

What a scrappy little mistress.

Just don't do it to Venus and i could be a fan!

Great win :)

Natash.
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I love domi!

What a scrappy little mistress.

Just don't do it to Venus and i could be a fan!

Great win :)

Already has. :devil: :lol: :p

$uricate
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Domi :banana:

I kinda seen it coming. Nadia only plays well in slams and Eastbourne this year.

Now get to the quarters Domi! And then submit to your fellow countrywoman :angel: assuming she actually gets there :unsure:

Sorana_Cirstea
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Her determination is really unlike any other. It almost resembles that of Dementieva, in a sense. Always fighting, and never giving up. I am very, very impressed. I can't wait until she plays Kateryna. I think it has the potential to be a really good match for her.

QuicKyMonSter
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:16 PM
pretty pathetic stuff from Nadia. She had a 0-40 in the last game. :help:

Congrats to Domi :)

smokovec
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Well done Domi, good win here. :bounce:

SVK
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Well done, Dominika:yeah:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Nadia blowing 0-40 in last game :armed: :o :(

Dodoboy.
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Already has. :devil: :lol: :p

I meant again ;)

Sorana_Cirstea
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Dominika just fights for every point.

Plain and simple. :D

I don't honestly know who has the edge in a match between Daniela and Dominika. I would think Dominika, just because Daniela tends to get a case of the nerves. But I love them both, and it will be a hard match to watch.

Malva
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Her determination is really unlike any other. It almost resembles that of Dementieva, in a sense. Always fighting, and never giving up.

Yes, Dominika is a magnificent fighter. Another good win for her.

Escape
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Well done Domi :yeah: :D

Drimal
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Good match Dominika! :banana:

Good luck against K.Bondarenko!

Vincey!
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Great match by Domi :D...Good luck for the next round :yeah:

Optima
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Just when I thought you were getting back in form again..

Sorana_Cirstea
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:31 PM

Nadia is going to do well.

She just got a really bad first round match, because it isn't really one of those matches where the opponent of the seed is all that much lower ranked than the seeded player. Dominika showed here why she should still be considered a threat. I see her giving K.B. a lot of trouble next round.

Lunaris
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:33 PM
On grass Petrova was better able to disguise her poor movement and pathetic baseline play. But now back on hard she couldn't just serve bombs and go to the net for easy putaways, even though she tried it quite often.
I am so happy for Dominika. :D

Malva
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:43 PM
On grass Petrova was better able to disguise her poor movement and pathetic baseline play. But now back on hard she couldn't just serve bombs and go to the net for easy putaways, even though she tried it quite often.
I am so happy for Dominika. :D

Sounds very convincing without even watching the match. Have you watched it?

jonny84
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Good win for Domi!

Vaidisova Ruled
Domi is such a fighter. So many times she brought herself back into the points. Improved that defensive slice so much. That forehand dtl. :hearts: Solid.
where is your livestream link?

adrovi
Nadia :sad::sad::mad:

Lunaris
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Sounds very convincing without even watching the match. Have you watched it?
That's how Petrova played at Eastbourne, big serve, easy volley at the net. Or big return, one big forehand and volley at the net if necessary. Couldn't play like that this time and instead was engaged in baseline rallies, which she wasn't able to hang in. 3rd or 4th shot of hers during most rallies resulted into unforced error, mostly due to her poor footwork. Yeah I watched the match.
Cibulkova was solid as always, although her 1st serve % was lower than usually.

Malva
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:01 PM
That's how Petrova played at Eastbourne, big serve, easy volley at the net. Or big return, one big forehand and volley at the net if necessary. Couldn't play like that this time and instead was engaged in baseline rallies, which she wasn't able to hang in. 3rd or 4th shot of hers during most rallies resulted into unforced error, mostly due to her poor footwork. Yeah I watched the match.
Cibulkova was solid as always, although her 1st serve % was lower than usually.

Thank you for the report. I know how Petrova played in Eastbourne -- this is why I said your previous analysis sounded convincing. She is indeed quite heavy and this must impair her movement. But why she engaged in the baseline game where she was at disadvantage? Was she looking tired? Or it was CibulkovŠ who pushed her away from the net?

I am glad to hear that CibulkovŠ is back on track and solid as usual.

Sorana_Cirstea
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:03 PM
You saw the match?

Wow.

I wish I had seen it.

And by the way, that was a very good analysis of the match. It was a good read, and it impressed me. Although I'm a nobody, so impressing me doesn't count. -_-

Malva
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:08 PM
And by the way, that was a very good analysis of the match. It was a good read, and it impressed me. Although I'm a nobody, so impressing me doesn't count. -_-

Don't say that. I like your posts. I am sure others too.

babsi
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Well Done Dominika!

Sorana_Cirstea
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Awe!

Well thank you.

And I must say, I fancy your posts as well. You always seem to offer a clear, well stated arguement, in any topic. It's always good to have you post in my topic, as well as Lunaris, because you both have such clear, and well stated arguements about everything.

Derek.
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Great win, Dominika! :banana:

I wasn't sure if she'd be able to pull this one out.

Serenidad.
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:18 PM
How could you get bossed around by this pusher, Nadia. :rolleyes:

You were just rounding into form and then you lose to a Jankovic-lite on a medium-fast hardcourt. Pathetic.

Malva
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:21 PM
And I must say, I fancy your posts as well. You always seem to offer a clear, well stated arguement, in any topic. It's always good to have you post in my topic, as well as Lunaris, because you both have such clear, and well stated arguements about everything.

Thanks! Lunaris is indeed very knowledgeable and writes well. I always look forward to his analyses.

Lunaris
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Thank you for the report. I know how Petrova played in Eastbourne -- this is why I said your previous analysis sounded convincing. She is indeed quite heavy and this must impair her movement. But why she engaged in the baseline game where she was at disadvantage? Was she looking tired? Or it was Cibulková who pushed her away from the net?

I am glad to hear that Cibulková is back on track and solid as usual.
I wrote she often tried S&V, when she got 1st serve in it was quite successful. Cibulková stood inside the court to return Petrova's serve, which is quite rare considering how hard is Nadia's serve. Dominika tried to block Nadia's 1st serves, which often didn't work. She either netted or returned the ball short close to the T and Petrova didn't have any problems to hit a winner. 2nd serve was a different story, Dominika always took the ball early on the rise and bossed the point till its end. I think Nadia could aim closer to the lines but didn't.
On Cibulková's serve Petrova often tried to hit a big return, but this surface gives you a better chance to reach the ball, so even if Nadia returned well, which she often didn't, Dominika could reach the ball and slice it back under Nadia's feet. On grass it would be tougher for her due to the lower bounce. Also it seemed to me that Nadia didn't want to risk as much and go to the net as often, but when she did, she usually managed to win the point. However her baseline play was so poor and Dominika's retrieving so solid today that Nadia often lost the point before she got a chance to think about approaching the net.

RenaSlam.
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Expected.

:wavey: Nadia

Malva
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I wrote she often tried S&V, when she got 1st serve in it was quite successful. CibulkovŠ stood inside the court to return Petrova's serve, which is quite rare considering how hard is Nadia's serve. Dominika tried to block Nadia's 1st serves, which often didn't work. She either netted or returned the ball short close to the T and Petrova didn't have any problems to hit a winner. 2nd serve was a different story, Dominika always took the ball early on the rise and bossed the point till its end. I think Nadia could aim closer to the lines but didn't.
On CibulkovŠ's serve Petrova often tried to hit a big return, but this surface gives you a better chance to reach the ball, so even if Nadia returned well, which she often didn't, Dominika could reach the ball and slice it back under Nadia's feet. On grass it would be tougher for her due to the lower bounce. Also it seemed to me that Nadia didn't want to risk as much and go to the net as often, but when she did, she usually managed to win the point. However her baseline play was so poor and Dominika's retrieving so solid today that Nadia often lost the point before she got a chance to think about approaching the net.

Thank you for the time expended on this excellent analysis.

Lunaris
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:34 PM
In the 3rd set Petrova's serve wasn't as effective because the Sun was shining right into her eyes when she served on the side closer to the webcam. That offered Dominika several chances to break, which she eventually did.

Malva
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:41 PM
In the 3rd set Petrova's serve wasn't as effective because the Sun was shining right into her eyes when she served on the side closer to the webcam. That offered Dominika several chances to break, which she eventually did.

I have no doubt Petrova was a difficult opponent for Cibulková, and the scoreline confirms that. I admire Dominika's ability for taking any opportunity given to her. This, and her fighting spirit -- and the two are hard to separate in her case -- is what makes Dominika such a tough opponent, and already brought her a number of really good wins.

By the way, anybody has a video of her match in Doha against Radwańska? I watched a few clips. It seems it was a very good match.

young_gunner913
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Nadia you are a joke. Get it together. Congrats Domi. :yeah:

Josh.
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:26 PM

tobi
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Always good to see Petrova losing.

Watching Wimbledon,reminded me that why I used to hate her before the injuries :tape:

spiritedenergy
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Nadia:tape:

ce
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:40 PM
:(

Yellow Moon
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:40 PM
sweet Domi :hearts:!

Lunaris
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Always good to see Petrova losing.
I know I shouldn't hate on players, but ditto. :tape:
On the other hand I hope she plays well in her next match today. :p

tobi
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:45 PM
On the other hand I hope she plays well in her next match today. :p
:lol:

It is doubles after all,so yeah let them win :p Not my dream team by any means though :tape:

southpaw58
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Nice Dominika.

:)

Lunaris
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Not my dream team by any means though :tape:
Each to his own taste. :)

Sorana_Cirstea
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:53 PM
SO. . . Looking towards her next match, does anyone see any real problems for Dominika? I think that at the beginning, there will be some jitters of the sort, but other than that, I would expect her to use her grit and determination to fight this one out in two. Maybe tight, maybe not. It just really depends on how she is feeling after this match, and how Kateryna herself thinks about her chances against Domi.

Dave.
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Domi :banana: Knew you could do it :yeah:

DownTheLine21
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Great win for Cibulkova. Petrova was probably playing with the highest level of confidence she's had all year.

Dawson.
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:26 PM
i thought nadia was back on track :eek:

well done cibulkova though :yeah:

Sorana_Cirstea
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Nadia is too up and down sometimes.

Who knows where her career will go from here.

AndreConrad
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Why so many people are negative about Nadia in this match? Did she play really bad tennis today (I have not seen the match)? Dominika is a tough opponent, so no shame losing to her espacially in 3 sets.

daniel122292
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:59 PM
was Nadia still wearing Eleven?

Malva
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Why so many people are negative about Nadia in this match? Did she play really bad tennis today (I have not seen the match)? Dominika is a tough opponent, so no shame losing to her espacially in 3 sets.

Some people obviously don't like her. That's all.

Lunaris provided an extensive and professional analysis of the match in a series of posts in this thread. He watched the match. Recommended reading.

Sassy-Na
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:35 AM
again... nadia :o

cellophane
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Nadia is just too shit on the baseline these days to handle a Cibulkova type of player.

Natash.
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Domi hits with such depth consistently. :hearts: She improves every time I watch her play.

Malva
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Domi hits with such depth consistently. :hearts: She improves every time I watch her play.

You mean she played today better than ever?

LudwigDvorak
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Cibulkova is so average. Fortunately for her, Nadia sucks off the ground lately. I'm stunned Petrova took a set.

Good win. Win some matches next week (is she playing next week?) in LA. I think it was Lunaris who said Nadia's success on grass wouldn't translate to HCs...good call.

Lunaris
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Cibulkova is so average. Fortunately for her, Nadia sucks off the ground lately. I'm stunned Petrova took a set.

Good win. Win some matches next week (is she playing next week?) in LA. I think it was Lunaris who said Nadia's success on grass wouldn't translate to HCs...good call.
From the thread Nadia beat Stosur in Eastbourne.
Petrova showed some good signs in her matches against Kirilenko on clay, so this is not that surprising, I saw it coming. On the other hand she only beat a couple of scrubs, it's ridiculous to think she is back, especially considering what I saw yesterday - she is still slow and overweight. Grass just enables her to use S&V and thus win some cheap points without having to move around so much. I dare to say that once back on hard she will suck again. Of course a lot depends on her result at Wimby resp. how much confidence she will gain or lose there.
Not enough confidence from Wimbledon probably. Was even worse in the doubles with Hantuchova, which just ended. Nadia looked like it was her first ever doubles match. :help:

sammy01
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:14 AM
after watching petrova play in the doubles, im suprised she managed to take this to 3 sets, she was just horible in doubles and i assume she wasn't much better during this match and domi played brickwall, which she does so well!

Sorana_Cirstea
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:20 AM
I do in a sense, recant my statement about Nadia.

She gave the best that she could against Cibulkova, and it wasn't enough to take her down. BUT, that does not mean that Nadia is a bad player. She is a good player, and she has a lot of good shots. Today just wasn;t her day, and we'll all have to accept that. She doesn't deserve this much criticism. She is still good, and she can still piece together good results. Lay off a little bit. Even though some don't like her. And I don't either. . . But she does deserve the credit for putting her heart, soul, and body into this match.

backslapu
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:31 AM
how did she play with daniela??
did she wear Eleven again!

Lunaris
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:37 AM
how did she play with daniela??
Due to lack of other expressions in my English vocabulary I would say total shit.
I do in a sense, recant my statement about Nadia.

She gave the best that she could against Cibulkova, and it wasn't enough to take her down. BUT, that does not mean that Nadia is a bad player. She is a good player, and she has a lot of good shots. Today just wasn;t her day, and we'll all have to accept that. She doesn't deserve this much criticism. She is still good, and she can still piece together good results. Lay off a little bit. Even though some don't like her. And I don't either. . . But she does deserve the credit for putting her heart, soul, and body into this match.
I don't know whether she put her heart, soul and body into the match, but you are right. It's just tennis. You win some you lose some.

Natash.
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:13 AM
You mean she played today better than ever?

Oh definitely no. :lol: I just mean certain aspects of her game are improving but Domi herself could've have played better by getting a higher % of first serves. :)

She won a point at net. :hearts: :inlove:

Sorana_Cirstea
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Mhm. I mean, we all love to see our favorites win. But there are going to be times where, they won't win, and they won't give their best performance. I just hope that tomorrow Dani will fair as well as Domi. When they clash in the Quarters, which they may. . . I will be torn between the two. But I know in the end I will be happy with whoever wins.

goldenlox
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Nadia made the Eastbourne final and the Wimbledon QF.
But her best results are on clay.

She always has a history of losing a lot of 1st matches, even when she was top 10.

She's done this before, going from Wimbledon to California and being awful in her 1st match

RenaSlam.
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Nadia made the Eastbourne final and the Wimbledon QF.
But her best results are on clay.

She always has a history of losing a lot of 1st matches, even when she was top 10.

She's done this before, going from Wimbledon to California and being awful in her 1st match

So when she loses in the 2R next week in Carson, there shouldn't be any excuses from you or for Nadia.

Let's face it, Nadia's year has been pathetic not including her grass court season (which is only 2 tournaments).

Nadia has had 7 first round losses this year (2 matches were her retirements, which she was leading, so these shouldn't really count)...so 5.

She's lost to 36 ranked Garbin, 19 ranked Bammer, 28 ranked Radwanska, 43 ranked K Bondarenko, 28 ranked Srebotnik, 27/26 ranked Kirlenko (Rome and Berlin back to back), 58 ranked Amanmuradova, 4 ranked Kuznetsova, 14 ranked Radwanska, and 5 Dementieva.

She has finalist points to defend next week...and with Williamsx2, Jankovic, Kuznetsova, Safina, Hantuchova, Schynder, Zvonareva, Azarenka, Schiavone, Vaidisova, Pennetta, Peer, Davenport, Razzano, Bammer, and A. Bondarenko in the draw, she better be ready...I won't even discuss the qualifiers. :wavey:

Imperfect Angel
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Nadia :(

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Totally took me by surprise on this one. Nice going Domi :bounce:.

Lulu.
Jul 16th, 2008, 06:57 AM
:lol:

Petrova is a joke.

Harju.
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Domi! :banana:

Dementinator
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Business as usual for the plank.

Juanes
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:05 AM