PDA

View Full Version : Serena hungry for another GS

court70
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Serena hungry for another grand slam crown
Mon Jul 14, 11:50 PM
By Matthew Cronin

STANFORD, California (Reuters) - Serena Williams is adamant she does not plan on ending 2008 without a grand slam title or an Olympic gold medal.

The top seed at this week's Stanford Classic, Williams has had what many players on the WTA tour would consider a good season, winning in Bangalore, Miami and Charleston.

However, she has fallen short at the grand slams, losing to Jelena Jankovic in Melbourne, Katarina Srebotnik at Paris and then against older sister Venus at Wimbledon earlier this month.

"I can't say I'm pleased with my year because I haven't won any grand slams this year," Williams told Reuters on Monday. "That's always been the goal for me.

"I didn't play well in Australia, the French I shot myself in the foot and at Wimbledon I couldn't get it together in the final.

"So I have to win something eventually. I feel like I should be able to win for the most part and sometimes I get disgusted because I didn't make the right shots, or made a lot of errors.

"I don't like to lose. I'm a perfectionist and feel like I should be the best at what I do."

The 26-year-old, who has won eight grand slam singles titles, though the last was at the 2007 Australian Open, admitted she had perked up after losing in the Wimbledon final to combine with her sister and claim the doubles crown.

"It would have sucked if I lost the doubles, too," Serena said. "I had to get over (the singles). Venus played better than I did, but I didn't play my best."

Serena, who has been hampered by injuries in recent years, has embarked upon a heavy schedule on the North American hardcourt circuit and is scheduled to play Stanford, Los Angeles and Montreal before heading to Beijing for the Olympics.

She will then travel to the U.S. Open in New York.

"I'm feeling good," the fifth ranked Williams said. "I have goals and have almost no points coming off this summer. I can only move ahead."

The Williams sisters combined for the Olympic gold medal in doubles at the 2000 Games in Sydney, but Serena missed the 2004 games in Athens due to an injury and she admitted a singles medal at Beijing was a target.

"The Olympics and U.S. Open are hovering," said Williams, who is scheduled to play her opening match at Stanford on Wednesday.

"I think I'll be ready for them."

In The Zone
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:17 PM
"I didn't play well in Australia, the French I shot myself in the foot and at Wimbledon I couldn't get it together in the final.

:spit: :rolls:

Cheo and Serena BFFs!

Markus
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:20 PM
She's putting too much pressure on herself, again. Sadly we have read many of these articles in the past. Too many. Please get it together for the U.S. Open Serena, don't talk so much about winning a Slam just do it.

AndreConrad
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Good to see Serena motivated; that promisses some good tennis ahead. I am looking forward to watching it :drool:

lympyisthebest
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:24 PM
:spit: :rolls:

Cheo and Serena BFFs!

:haha: :haha:

mckyle.
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Hmmm... 4 tournaments before the Open? I say skip Montreal, Serena.

In The Zone
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I think Serena knows # 1 is ahead. In 2001, she got "sick of losing" according to her. The Serena Slam began after she lost a slam final to her sister.

Not sure what she meant. She is only entered in Stanford, LA, Olympics + USO. She is not playing Montreal. No way her body could handle it after WTT and then the two Californian tournaments.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:30 PM
yea she isn't down for playing montreal on her website...

ivanban
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:33 PM

OMG, Ree is listed for more tournaments before USO than JJ :eek::eek::eek:

She wants that USO title sooooo bad

....or Olympics gold medal :lol:

Slumpsova
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Serena, stop making excuses :rolleyes: :hearts:

Slumpsova
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:48 PM
OMG, Ree is listed for more tournaments before USO than JJ :eek::eek::eek:

She wants that USO title sooooo bad

....or Olympics gold medal :lol:
Jankovic played 15586535 tournaments before US Open and it caused her a burnt out in the semis :tape:

ivanban
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Jankovic played 15586535 tournaments before US Open and it caused her a burnt out in the semis :tape:

That happened 2 years ago :rolleyes:
And she lost that semi cause she went nuts :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mikey B
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:19 PM
she's not playing all four events listed in the interview.. it would be suicide if she did! i can see her playing stanford and la, then going to beijing and the us open...

"Venus played better than I did, but I didn't play my best."

at first i thought this was a really mature comment, till she said she didnt play her best.. when will she get over herself and accept that she was beaten fairly, and the reason she might not have played 'her best' was because her opponent was too good. none of this i beat myself or i wasnt at my best nonsense!

Pureracket
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:29 PM
she's not playing all four events listed in the interview.. it would be suicide if she did! i can see her playing stanford and la, then going to beijing and the us open...

"Venus played better than I did, but I didn't play my best."

at first i thought this was a really mature comment, till she said she didnt play her best.. when will she get over herself and accept that she was beaten fairly, and the reason she might not have played 'her best' was because her opponent was too good. none of this i beat myself or i wasnt at my best nonsense!I'm not sure you win eight Slams by thinking you lose a match by playing your best.

Vamos.
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:29 PM
The pressure she puts on herself is getting to be too much. She is starting to choke against top players in Grand Slams too much. For example, the way she played against Radwanska would've been enough to put away Venus in the Final; and she started off that way in the first two games. Then just FELL APART for a while. It is completely bizarre.

She will never win a big tournament until she realises she has to play the real Serena way, not this consistent hitting rubbish.

supergrunt
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:35 PM
The pressure she puts on herself is getting to be too much. She is starting to choke against top players in Grand Slams too much. For example, the way she played against Radwanska would've been enough to put away Venus in the Final; and she started off that way in the first two games. Then just FELL APART for a while. It is completely bizarre.

She will never win a big tournament until she realises she has to play the real Serena way, not this consistent hitting rubbish.

I does seem like she is hitting the ball with too much topspin and that she is trying to be too consistent but I guess that is the way she feels she has to play :shrug: .

thiskidhasit
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Serena is hungry alright - that's why she's 20 pounds heavier now than she was in her prime.

AcesHigh
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:43 PM
When will she or her fans admit that Venus was the better player. Her pride is possibly part of her downfall. She puts so much pressure on herself and expects herself to win all the time. Just not going to happen. She's going to have bad days and going to meet players that just play better.

I'd say I hope she wins USO, but only if Venus/Lindsay/Ana don't win.

spiritedenergy
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Let's go Errorena:bounce:

That Wimbledon final was something. She played very well so she can win anything if she's healthy.

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:47 PM
i've heard that she's "hungry" for a grand slam since her 2007 win. i'm sick of hearing it, i'm waiting to see the real deal. so until' that happens, i'm not giving my hopes up. but it's great seeing her play the summer tournaments, finally.

supergrunt
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:52 PM
When will she or her fans admit that Venus was the better player. Her pride is possibly part of her downfall. She puts so much pressure on herself and expects herself to win all the time. Just not going to happen. She's going to have bad days and going to meet players that just play better.

Why do you state your opinions like they are fact?

Dave.
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:02 PM
All the top players are hungry for Grand Slams though. Talking about it doesn't mean you want it more. We know Serena can win these slams but actually doing it is a whole different thing, and these unexpected losses to players who are too solid on the day are becoming more common.

supergrunt
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:04 PM
All the top players are hungry for Grand Slams though. Talking about it doesn't mean you want it more. We know Serena can win these slams but actually doing it is a whole different thing, and these unexpected losses to players who are too solid on the day are becoming more common.

You are saying that she lost to Srebotnik becasue she was too solid :unsure: ?

tennnisfannn
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I love the serena pride, it is what earned her the 8 slams.

sweetpeas
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I'm not sure you win eight Slams by thinking you lose a match by playing your best.

You got it!

mckyle.
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:14 PM
You are saying that she lost to Srebotnik becasue she was too solid :unsure: ?

Srebotnik was very solid. She didn't to any SPECIAL, but she did what she had to do to get the win. Give credit dude. Otherwise, you look bad.

sweetpeas
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Truly,I don"t think Lindsay will win the U.S. open.It would be nice......

Volcana
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:17 PM
If Serena lets Venus return her serve that way,she won't win the U.S. Open either.

V's a star
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:19 PM

lmao u cant even compare Venus to Radwasanka she cant serve nothing like Venus has no power for grass and no reach. there in to different worlds. like comparing apples and oranges :help:

Watching
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:19 PM

It has never been quantified either is better than the other - both have weaknesses and strenghts.

That Venus is better is just your opinion..

backslapu
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Serena will definitely win the Olympics or Us Open. I think she will win Olympics and be kinda tired for US Open. AND STILL KICK ASSSS!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOO:worship::worship::worship::worship:

VishaalMaria
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Srebotnik was very solid. She didn't to any SPECIAL, but she did what she had to do to get the win. Give credit dude. Otherwise, you look bad.

This is so true.

Especially in the last game where Serena hit error after error after error and so few winners. Srebotnik just had to move the ball around the court and Serena, in some part of her game, would break down.

I still remember that match point where, in my opinion, Serena just gave up. That shanked forehand. Either, Serena gave up totally, or was so nervous she just couldnt hit a forehand into court.

The most disappointing thing is that Serena had chances to turn every slam match she has lost this year around; AO against Jankovic two break points to make it all level in the second i.e. 5-5, the French Open against Srebotnik, saved two match points and had easy opportunities to break to make it level 5-5 in the second, and at Wimbledon where she missed two easy forehand winners in that last game, had she made those it would have been 5-5 in the second.

Seems to me, when it comes to crunch time, Serena is not there mentally. In her prime, she would have jumped at those chances, and turned the match around. These days she is just helpless, gets frustrated at herself, and that frustration derives from the pressure she exerts.

I hope she deals with the pressure better, where it's definitely going to be much higher in her home country at the US open; then maybe she wont self destruct.

Vamos.
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I does seem like she is hitting the ball with too much topspin and that she is trying to be too consistent but I guess that is the way she feels she has to play :shrug: .

But it won't beat the top players. So whether she feels like playing that way or not, she has to stop it. Or else she will be hungry for ever.

Vamos.
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:39 PM
lmao u cant even compare Venus to Radwasanka she cant serve nothing like Venus has no power for grass and no reach. there in to different worlds. like comparing apples and oranges :help:

I wasn't.

I was just comparing the way Serena was playing. As in, attacking every ball that she could. Belting winners out of almost nowhere. Whereas against Venus, given the chance, she would just make sure the ball went in rather than take a risk. That is not the real Serena...:shrug:, although it probably is right now.

Even in that demolition of Henin at Miami (6-2, 6-0) I re-watched it the other day and she was more incredibly consistent hitting than anything else. Henin had the worst match I think I've ever seen her play...she cannot count on her opponents making that many errors. She has to step it up against the big names or she ain't ever gunna eat!

kwilliams
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Well luckily this time Serena is not just saying she's hungry, she's showing it by playing so soon after Wimbledon and WTT. I do agree that she is maybe putting a little too much pressure on herself but at the same time I'm glad she is considering her year/career when she says she doesn't want to finish 2008 without a slam because it has otherwise been a good year and she's been injury free for once! I hope she gets what she wants.

starin
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I wasn't.

I was just comparing the way Serena was playing. As in, attacking every ball that she could. Belting winners out of almost nowhere. Whereas against Venus, given the chance, she would just make sure the ball went in rather than take a risk. That is not the real Serena...:shrug:, although it probably is right now.

Even in that demolition of Henin at Miami (6-2, 6-0) I re-watched it the other day and she was more incredibly consistent hitting than anything else. Henin had the worst match I think I've ever seen her play...she cannot count on her opponents making that many errors. She has to step it up against the big names or she ain't ever gunna eat!

i agree 100%.

And umm.. in this article there is no quote from Serena saying she doesn't plan on finishing the year w/out either an olympic gold medal or the USO. Obviously she wants to win one or the other but Serena has said many times she doesn't state her goals in public and she didn't in this article. She just said she wants to win the USO or Olympic gold.

stevos
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I wasn't.

I don't really understand your points here.
Because it was her consistency that finally broke Henin down (paired with Henin's less-than-peak play, but I mean still....6-2 6-0?!).
It was almost like she changed her game to figure out Henin, which worked, and now Henin's gone and she should go back to her original style.

I just feel bad for Serena, people criticizing her for being too consistent nowadays, when she would always be criticized for the opposite. Must be frustrating to not be able to do anything how people want it.

vwfan
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Well, I hope she wins the Olympic gold because she hasn't won it.

But I hope that Venus wins U.S. Open, solidified her stellar record there and get to eight slams.

Then I want Venus to win the Australian Open and Serena to win the French so she has two of everything and so that they each have 9 slams and tie Seles. :bounce:

And then sorry Serena, but Venus needs to win at Wimbledon to establish herself even more as one of the all time grass greats, three-peat and bring her slam count to 10 (ten).

Other players--I don't care. But if Linds is still playing, I wouldn't mind if she won U.S. Open 2009.

That's the plan. Now let's get to it ladies.

Dave.
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I just feel bad for Serena, people criticizing her for being too consistent nowadays, when she would always be criticized for the opposite. Must be frustrating to not be able to do anything how people want it.

I don't think Serena cares how others want it. :shrug:

vwfan
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Serena only fans should be delighted that Venus beat Serena at Wimbledon. The last time that happened, at the U.S. Open 2001, Serena went on to accomplish the Serena Slam.

Let's be clear: nothing motivates her like a Venus beatdown. That and the thought that Venus is catching up in Grand Slam totals, has surpassed her as the greatest grasscourt player of her generation, has already won Olympic gold in singles (something she hasn't done) and if Venus were to win the U.S. Open, she would equal Serena in overall slam titles. You betcha she's motivated! :lol:

I will point out though that she didn't win the next slam after 2001 U.S. Open defeat though.;)

kwilliams
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Well, I hope she wins the Olympic gold because she hasn't won it.

But I hope that Venus wins U.S. Open, solidified her stellar record there and get to eight slams.

Then I want Venus to win the Australian Open and Serena to win the French so she has two of everything and so that they each have 9 slams and tie Seles. :bounce:

And then sorry Serena, but Venus needs to win at Wimbledon to establish herself even more as one of the all time grass greats, three-peat and bring her slam count to 10 (ten).

Other players--I don't care. But if Linds is still playing, I wouldn't mind if she won U.S. Open 2009.

That's the plan. Now let's get to it ladies.

:lol:

I plan like this as well...then the plan needs tweaking after every slam whether they win or lose because the sisters need to trade the slams a little!

harloo
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I wasn't.

Agreed. I feel like the approach she takes now leads to long rallies off the ground with her opponents. The last time I saw the real Serena in action was during the AO 2007 final. She was consistent, aggressive, and mentally dialed into the match. I knew going into the Wimbledon final she couldn't play that passive brand of tennis and expect to win against Venus on grass.

But I think the Wimbledon loss is good for Serena. I think she consistently needs to be challenged to improve her game. And come US Open time she'll be in rare form.:)

mckyle.
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:30 PM

It's because she can't find a happy medium. It's either one extreme or another. Extremely aggressive or extremely passive...

starin
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Agreed. I feel like the approach she takes now leads to long rallies off the ground with her opponents. The last time I saw the real Serena in action was during the AO 2007 final. She was consistent, aggressive, and mentally dialed into the match. I knew going into the Wimbledon final she couldn't play that passive brand of tennis and expect to win against Venus on grass.

But I think the Wimbledon loss is good for Serena. I think she consistently needs to be challenged to improve her game. And come US Open time she'll be in rare form.:)

Miami 2007, 2008 later rounds, AO 2008 b4 QF, Charleston 2008 (especially that QF against Maria), Wimbledon final 2008 for 1st set.

she needs to get fitter but she knows that. I was surprised to look a little less fit at Wimbledon and moving more slowly there as well. Cuz I thought earlier in the year she was moving faster, hopefully Wimbly was a blip and she continues to get fitter.

Vamos.
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I don't really understand your points here.
Because it was her consistency that finally broke Henin down (paired with Henin's less-than-peak play, but I mean still....6-2 6-0?!).
It was almost like she changed her game to figure out Henin, which worked, and now Henin's gone and she should go back to her original style.

It is pretty obvious.

6-2, 6-0. Yep. But, unless Serena sprayed errors EVERYWHERE, the match could not have gone much differently. Seriously, memories get tarnished...for good or bad. I remembered the match as a Serena-beatdown and I wanted to watch my favourite player, after seeing her lose at Wimbledon, destroy my least favourite player in an unruly performance.

And so I put on the match. It was mildly boring, to be honest...the actual tennis was, anyway. Serena just literally got the ball back in on A LOT of points. The point here is this:

Henin lost 6-2,6-0. She pretty much through away 12 games. Literally. Some of her play was absolutely pathetic. For massive periods of play she couldn't even get a backhand back in court. Yes, Serena was consistent and yes, in parts she hit the ball tremendously well, but the point being; if Henin had played like that against Radwanska, she would've lost in straight sets.

And that is where the tragedy lies. In Slams the big players don't have those days. Not at QF, not at SF and not at F stages at least. And that is why she isn't winning Slams.

I want Serena to be consistent, don't get me wrong, but I don't want her to be consistent in getting the ball back in with minimal pace and minimal depth with some lovely little topspin. That won't win her Slams. End of story. And it is proving to be the case.

Besides, I know how it is easy to feel sorry for Serena, I do myself, but not because people are never happy; people didn't criticise her for not being consistent...people kind of criticsed her for sometimes making disgusting errors. She needs to find the middle-ground. :shrug:...it is the task of every tennis player, but Serena has clearly gone too far over to the "I must be consistent" mentality. Her weapons are severly limited these days.

At least the old Serena could have one of THOSE days and beat the top players, regardless of how they were playing.

What ultimately irks me more than anything else is that I see Serena strike a ball when she isn't particularly thinking about consistency, those times when she is in attack-mode and I see what she is capable of. And she has, in the past, done that type of damage on a very "consistent" basis. That is the tragedy. She is capable of playing tennis that no other woman has ever played or could ever live with...and yet she is cancelling out the possibility of that so as to be more consistent or whatever. What is the point? I cannot see that road bearing fruit, so its a mega shame.

Destiny
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Yeah baby

Rock their worlds :woohoo:

Yes son :banana:

eugreene2
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Well Serena - all you have to do is work on your footwork/movement and I think you'd take US Open and Australia!

-VSR-
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:54 PM
It's an odd year for the Australian Open, she will win that. 2003-2005-2007-2009? :devil:

The Daviator
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:02 PM
People are being too critical of Serena, she's having an amazing season, she just needs to work hard on her footwork, that's what's causing the errors, but she'll likely win her 4th title of the year this week, so she's not doing too bad.

Dodoboy.
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Miami 2007, 2008 later rounds, AO 2008 b4 QF, Charleston 2008 (especially that QF against Maria), Wimbledon final 2008 for 1st set....

..... Berlin b4 QF. Wimbledon

Lulu.
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Serena for US Open. :D

bandabou
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Hmm...I don't get that she's putting pressure on herself. She pretty much she gave a summary of her year. Maybe this helps her on avoiding the same mistakes.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Boo, Hoo... Serena sucks now. :o

She's done winning majors.

The.End.

SerenaSlam
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:27 PM
i think serena sees the number 1 ranking in sites before the usopen which at the same time would help out with her draw etc etc...i see it as extremely doable if you ask me. she is only about 900 points from number 1 and out of the top 5 she has the least if any points to defend for the summer. a win at stanford would put her clearly amongst the top 4 w/out a doubt. and then good showings after would forsure have her motivated. so this is where it starts....we will just have to see how serena finishes!

AcesHigh
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:06 AM
It has never been quantified either is better than the other - both have weaknesses and strenghts.

That Venus is better is just your opinion..

Venus was the better player that day is what I meant and THAT can be quantified.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:07 AM
a win at stanford would put her clearly amongst the top 4 w/out a doubt. and then good showings after would forsure have her motivated. so this is where it starts....we will just have to see how serena finishes! It'd put her JUST outside the top 4, but if she were to follow that up with a deep run/title in LA, she'd be easily #4, and maybe even #3

so let's hope.....

tennisIlove09
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:12 AM
To me she just lacks the real belief that she used to. She used to walk on the court and just KNOW that she was going to win. I dont see that in her. Even in Miami this year, she was CRUSHING Jankovic, and suddenly she didnt believe. It took her much longer to win that match than it should have.

I dont know if the losses to Henin last year hurt her, but this year she has not looked like the Serena that we have come to know. Even her road to the Wimbledon final, I think her only impressive match was against Radwanksa :shrug: She played good in the Wimbledon final, her saying otherwise is her not accepting the truth. The stats show that she played well. Her second serve is what cost her the match.

DownTheLine21
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Serena appears to be very motivated. Considering all of her hard work, I hope everything comes together for the USO.

Denise4925
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:14 AM
This is so true.

Especially in the last game where Serena hit error after error after error and so few winners. Srebotnik just had to move the ball around the court and Serena, in some part of her game, would break down.

I still remember that match point where, in my opinion, Serena just gave up. That shanked forehand. Either, Serena gave up totally, or was so nervous she just couldnt hit a forehand into court.

The most disappointing thing is that Serena had chances to turn every slam match she has lost this year around; AO against Jankovic two break points to make it all level in the second i.e. 5-5, the French Open against Srebotnik, saved two match points and had easy opportunities to break to make it level 5-5 in the second, and at Wimbledon where she missed two easy forehand winners in that last game, had she made those it would have been 5-5 in the second.

Seems to me, when it comes to crunch time, Serena is not there mentally. In her prime, she would have jumped at those chances, and turned the match around. These days she is just helpless, gets frustrated at herself, and that frustration derives from the pressure she exerts.

I hope she deals with the pressure better, where it's definitely going to be much higher in her home country at the US open; then maybe she wont self destruct.

Well said. My feelings exactly. :worship::worship::worship:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:19 AM
She expects perfection from all of the hard work she puts in and accepts nothing less.

:shrug: That's what everyone's been telling her she needs to do all of her career. :rolleyes:

She just needs to learn to "deal" better when she doesn't play as well as she wants to, and sort of "troubleshoot" her way out of matches better than she's doing now.

I think, also, she's having more trouble in tight sets than she used to have. I think, had she won that first set against Justine, things would have turned out differently in that match. Ditto for the Wimbledon final. But just that frustration of working so hard only to lose, gets to her more than it used to.

Mary Carillo once said that Serena was #1 at shrugging off losing a bad set. I think she still does that well (in Berlin she shrugged off that 2nd set and came VERY close to winning the 3rd). She just need to shrug off losing good sets too....then she'll be set!

Denise4925
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Henin lost 6-2,6-0. She pretty much through away 12 games. Literally. Some of her play was absolutely pathetic. For massive periods of play she couldn't even get a backhand back in court. Yes, Serena was consistent and yes, in parts she hit the ball tremendously well, but the point being; if Henin had played like that against Radwanska, she would've lost in straight sets.

I disagree with your whole post, because Serena has changed her game plan, because she's had to with her knee not being 100%, it has slowed her down and because she's older and not as fit as she once was. I think she's playing smarter tennis and once she gets to the final, the only person that has beaten her there is Venus, because she started to lose concentration and get down on herself.

Also, I highlighted what you said above because I don't think the problem Henin was having was herself in that match. I think Henin's problem was Serena's serve and especially her return game. Serena figured out Henin's serve and how to attack it. This in turn threw Justine's game completely out of whack. I think Justine started worrying too much about trying to hold serve and Serena's return, and lost her concentration on the other parts of her game. Serena's return was the key in that match, in my opinion.

daniel122292
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Take those Gold Medals and Win The US Open go Serena :}

Vamos.
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:29 AM
I disagree with your whole post, because Serena has changed her game plan, because she's had to with her knee not being 100%, it has slowed her down and because she's older and not as fit as she once was. I think she's playing smarter tennis and once she gets to the final, the only person that has beaten her there is Venus, because she started to lose concentration and get down on herself.

Also, I highlighted what you said above because I don't think the problem Henin was having was herself in that match. I think Henin's problem was Serena's serve and especially her return game. Serena figured out Henin's serve and how to attack it. This in turn threw Justine's game completely out of whack. I think Justine started worrying too much about trying to hold serve and Serena's return, and lost her concentration on the other parts of her game. Serena's return was the key in that match, in my opinion.

OMG. We literally could not hold anymore opposite opinions. I actually don't know what to say. Such an extreme opposite. :shrug:

I think you are totally overestimating the gameplan of Serena in that match...seriously, I implore you to re-watch it. You will get a whole new perspective.

We are talking RIDICULOUS misses from Henin. I forgot too, but then I rewatched and...yep, sometimes Serena had NOTHING to do with it. Seriously. Please do rewatch and then if you feel the same, come back.

Besides, my main point is that she now plays pretty much like that against all the top players. And, while it might have worked against Henin on that day, it doesn't work against the others. So, regardless, your point about the gameplan is kind of irrelevant.

supergrunt
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Atleast she's not bsing around with that "she played well.. I'm having a good year" crap.

Il Primo!
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Serena's serve and return game isbetter than ever. She's got experience and is always getting better in both areas.

On the other hand, her groundies game is now a mess. She's not agressive anymore, she doesn't crush and murder the ball like she used to do before. And it has to do with her now clumsy and akward movement.

So, if Serena's return/serve game is at its top, she'll win regardless of anything but when it's not the case, she's sort of toast.

And the mentality is just not the good one. She gets pissed off and upset way too quickly these days. As soon as she misses something, tears droll on her face. That's just nasty, she really needs to get rid of this odd habbit. She exposes her vulnerability and thus make her opponent feel confident.

tennisbear7
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:50 AM
I'm willing to suggest that her mentality was what REALLY lost her match at Wimbledon against Vee.

During the whole second set, she was in it. But she kept moping around on court and that attitude really won't cut it, especially in slam finals against your own sister, no less.

AcesHigh
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:04 AM

:help: Henin was horrible.. and she was horrible the entire year. Her groundies didnt have depth nor the sting of last year. Her serve game was not as good either, nor her returning. She just lacked the fire.

It was mostly Justine who lost that match and Serena's level of play is what made it look so bad.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I think she should do well at the Olympics..I think she wants the golden slam in her collection...plus..it would give her bigger endorsements winning the olympics.

AcesHigh
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Serena's serve and return game isbetter than ever.
Her first serve is still good although not as good as 2002-2003 form and her second serve is much worse. Her return is also not as thunderous as then.

So, if Serena's return/serve game is at its top, she'll win regardless of anything but when it's not the case, she's sort of toast.
She needs more than a serve and return which Justine showed last year and Venus showed at Wimbledon.

And the mentality is just not the good one. She gets pissed off and upset way too quickly these days. As soon as she misses something, tears droll on her face. That's just nasty, she really needs to get rid of this odd habbit. She exposes her vulnerability and thus make her opponent feel confident.
True, but she also needs to not expect her game to go perfect and just blow her opponents away. Vulnerability is not a terrible thing..it's a human thing. Federer and Nadal don't show their emotion. They just make adjustments. Serena needs to do the same.

mdterp01
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Well she should be the favorite going into the US Open. Hard courts are her best surface and barring any kind of injury, she should be the top favorite to win there.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:13 AM
The difference with Serena in Miami was that she basically stood closer to the centre service line to return serve because she remembered that at the US Open Justine was always serving down the middle, especially on important points. When Serena got into Henin's service games, she remembered that Henin would go for the serve down the middle at crucial times and was basically waiting there for it. Henin couldn't change up her serve and found it difficult to stay in the match.

supergrunt
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Yeah baby

Rock their worlds :woohoo:

Yes son :banana:

"yes son"

:haha:

supergrunt
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:53 AM
I think Serena is more consistent than ever this year! And she is covering the court 100% better than she did last year! :D

supergrunt
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:54 AM
And she played the best she has ever played this year in Miami! :D So bring on the hard courts baby! :D

frontier
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:22 AM
The difference with Serena in Miami was that she basically stood closer to the centre service line to return serve because she remembered that at the US Open Justine was always serving down the middle, especially on important points. When Serena got into Henin's service games, she remembered that Henin would go for the serve down the middle at crucial times and was basically waiting there for it. Henin couldn't change up her serve and found it difficult to stay in the match.
good analysis!:worship:

Vamos.
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:29 AM
I agree Supernova; but, regardless, Henin was ludicrous that day. Her errors were atrocious at times...it is, without doubt, the worst match I have ever seen Justine Henin play. Yes, Serena made her look bad too, but seriously, Henin gave that match away after the opening game. It was abyssmal.

Apoleb
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:32 AM
I watched the highlights, and 75% of it were Justine errors. No kidding. And these were the highlights.

But does anyone REALLY expect Denise to say that Justine played crap in that match? :haha:

supergrunt
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:33 AM
why would someone put errors on a highlight reel..??? unless they had an ax to grind :hehehe:

hankqq
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Serena :hearts:

Keep up that great attitude!! I love the fact that she really, really hates to lose. None of the top players should be content with losing.

Go and win the USO and/or the Olympics.

supergrunt
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:40 AM
I watched the highlights, and 75% of it were Justine errors. No kidding. And these were the highlights.

But does anyone REALLY expect Denise to say that Justine played crap in that match? :haha:

you're right. you're much more credible.

stevos
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:49 AM
People are being too critical of Serena, she's having an amazing season, she just needs to work hard on her footwork, that's what's causing the errors, but she'll likely win her 4th title of the year this week, so she's not doing too bad.
Exactly. She's had a solid season so far. At one point I thought her and Maria were both at almost par, and both have had a dissapointing couple months, but they will turn it around. No need for stress.
Serena will win something big soon, and everyone will completely forget Wimbledon/FO, and say how she's as good as ever.

I agree Supernova; but, regardless, Henin was ludicrous that day. Her errors were atrocious at times...it is, without doubt, the worst match I have ever seen Justine Henin play. Yes, Serena made her look bad too, but seriously, Henin gave that match away after the opening game. It was abyssmal.

Do we only have this match to go with here though? I mean, I feel like I've seen smarter play from more than just this match this season. I know I mentioned it, but it doesn't have to be the be-all for deciphering Serena's season.

Mr.Kardashian
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:01 AM
If she stays fit and healthy then the number one ranking will be hers by year end with a that schedule

Markus
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:34 AM
If she stays fit and healthy then the number one ranking will be hers by year end with a that schedule
It would be awkward to see Serena at #1 without a Slam. It could happen though. Serena as the new Hingis like 2000 and 2001 :lol:. Let's hope she is getting both, the US Open and the #1 spot!

moby
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:09 AM
why would someone put errors on a highlight reel..??? unless they had an ax to grind :hehehe:Because errors defined the match? To put things in perspective, Justine hit more unforced errors than Serena hit winners AND unforced errors. Justine hit more unforced errors than the combined number of winners in the match. Justine hit 3 times as many unforced errors as she did winners. She lost on average 2.3 points per game due to her unforced errors (4 points are needed to lose a game.)

Ironically, those who say that the ridiculous number of unforced errors is due to Serena's amazing strategy are the ones who will claim that Hingis won largely because she fed off the unforced errors of her opponents, i.e. she had no agency.

http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/stats/WS501.html
Justine Henin: Winners - 11, UE - 32
Serena Williams: Winners - 16, UE - 15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdBO-08f7jM
Pretty much the story of the match. Lots of inexplicable errors, even when she was dictating the rallies.

SVU
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Of course she'll get to no. 1 and win grand slams.

It's the weakest era ever at the moment, no one of credibility, apart from her sister to challenge her (and we know what happens when Venus plays her anywhere else apart from Wimbledon).

She's playing MM tournaments like Stanford with absolutely no one there with credibility :lol:

How the mighty have fallen, playing MM tournaments :spit: Well if that's the only way she can win a tournament and get higher rankings, so be it.

BTW, is the poster Dense0666 or whatever the name is, Serena? :confused: She seems to come up with the same excuses and BS as Serena does :haha:

court70
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Serena only fans should be delighted that Venus beat Serena at Wimbledon. The last time that happened, at the U.S. Open 2001, Serena went on to accomplish the Serena Slam.

Let's be clear: nothing motivates her like a Venus beatdown. That and the thought that Venus is catching up in Grand Slam totals, has surpassed her as the greatest grasscourt player of her generation, has already won Olympic gold in singles (something she hasn't done) and if Venus were to win the U.S. Open, she would equal Serena in overall slam titles. You betcha she's motivated! :lol:

I will point out though that she didn't win the next slam after 2001 U.S. Open defeat though.;)

That second paragraph is sooooooooooo true. Serena does not want venus to pass her in slams or to = her slam count. Venus is Serena's biggest competion. I think outside of tennis Vee is much more successful than Serena, and she knows it so now she has to show that she's more successful than Vee on the tennis court.

Pureracket
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:12 PM
you're right. you're much more credible.LMAO!!!!!

Pureracket
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Of course she'll get to no. 1 and win grand slams.

It's the weakest era ever at the moment, no one of credibility, apart from her sister to challenge her (and we know what happens when Venus plays her anywhere else apart from Wimbledon).

She's playing MM tournaments like Stanford with absolutely no one there with credibility :lol:

How the mighty have fallen, playing MM tournaments :spit: Well if that's the only way she can win a tournament and get higher rankings, so be it.

BTW, is the poster Dense0666 or whatever the name is, Serena? :confused: She seems to come up with the same excuses and BS as Serena does :haha:She's retired. Let go.

court70
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Because errors defined the match? To put things in perspective, Justine hit more unforced errors than Serena hit winners AND unforced errors. Justine hit more unforced errors than the combined number of winners in the match. Justine hit 3 times as many unforced errors as she did winners. She lost on average 2.3 points per game due to her unforced errors (4 points are needed to lose a game.)

Ironically, those who say that the ridiculous number of unforced errors is due to Serena's amazing strategy are the ones who will claim that Hingis won largely because she fed off the unforced errors of her opponents, i.e. she had no agency.

http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/stats/WS501.html
Justine Henin: Winners - 11, UE - 32
Serena Williams: Winners - 16, UE - 15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdBO-08f7jM
Pretty much the story of the match. Lots of inexplicable errors, even when she was dictating the rallies.

And Serena cause her to hit those UE but her play. At one point in that match Jh threw up her hands in defeat because she could not handle Serena's game...Serena put her lights out and sent her into retirement. She knew if she had keep on playing tennis this year there was no way in hell she have have won anything else.

Matt01
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:33 PM

No.

Pureracket
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:43 PM
No.Yeah, you have an objective view, though, right? :lol:

Matt01
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Yeah, you have an objective view, though, right? :lol:

I'm certainly much more objective than biased Denise or biased supertroll. :wavey:

Il Primo!
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:00 PM

No because that makes too much sense for her:)

moby
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM
And Serena cause her to hit those UE but her play. At one point in that match Jh threw up her hands in defeat because she could not handle Serena's game...Serena put her lights out and sent her into retirement. She knew if she had keep on playing tennis this year there was no way in hell she have have won anything else.Did you even read the rest of my post? I'm sure Serena had some agency in the unforced errors (just as every other player has, yes, even those "scrubs" that Serena loses to!), but not total agency like you're suggesting.

Maybe Justine threw her hands up because she couldn't believe how poorly she was playing. :shrug: You know, kind of like why Serena makes pained expressions when she's missing her shots - Serena will be the first to tell you that it's not because she could not handle her opponent's game. ;)

Vamos.
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:56 PM

:worship:...exactly. Denise:hug:

why would someone put errors on a highlight reel..??? unless they had an ax to grind :hehehe:

Because that was what made the basis of the match. :shrug:...they would struggle to find much else.

Exactly. She's had a solid season so far. At one point I thought her and Maria were both at almost par, and both have had a dissapointing couple months, but they will turn it around. No need for stress.
Serena will win something big soon, and everyone will completely forget Wimbledon/FO, and say how she's as good as ever.

Do we only have this match to go with here though? I mean, I feel like I've seen smarter play from more than just this match this season. I know I mentioned it, but it doesn't have to be the be-all for deciphering Serena's season.

No, but it was one example? And considering the calibre of opponent and the score; it would be the match that most people would pick to prove my theory wrong...which is why I chose that one. Plus I'd just rewatched it.

It is "smart" play...but, as proved with Hingis, that ain't gunna beat the top players in Grand Slams. Serena has to outhit them and she is very, very, very capable of doing that. So she should do that, instead of this "smart, consistent, loopy, topspin" tennis that the top players just lap up. :shrug:

Even Jankovic can outhit Serena when she plays like that.

friendsita
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Go Ree!!!!

serenus_2k8
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I'm certainly much more objective than biased Denise or biased supertroll. :wavey:

Fans will point out a players errors much quicker than a hater will admit that they did good :)

No because that makes too much sense for her:)

Whereas you're Mr Logic who always makes complete sense :help:

Perhaps you have forgotten some of the utter garbage you've posted about Serena :tape:

jonny84
Jul 16th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Serena for sure will win another grand slam before she retires. I hope she will actually win the French Open again as she has only won there the once. But any slam would be excellent.

supergrunt
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Serena wants to win more titles.

T-GIRL87
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I find it interesting how posters have completely undermined Serena's performance in Miaimi this year against Justine, in making the argument that Justine played the worst match of her life, and basically gave the match away. Whereas last year, it was Justine who was being praised and applauded for defeating a sub par Serena in the quarters of three majors, particulary at the U.S open where posters claimed Justine played the tournament of her career, despite that Serena had suffered a bad injury in the previous slam. Her match's in Miami, were the first time in a while I've seen Serena be really agressive from behind the baseline, dictating play on every shot, and not allowing herself to be dictated, as well as playing solid defense. She simply has to bring this style of play at majors against the top players instead of the passive lethargic game she's been playing recently.

Il Primo!
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Perhaps you have forgotten some of the utter garbage you've posted about Serena :tape:

Because there's any logic about personal taste and Serena's lack of fashion sense? :weirdo:

Get over yourself, stalker

Miss Amor
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:30 PM
to win the uso or olympics she needs to improve her performance..some of the matches she has played this year..the opponents have completely dominated the rallys and she has been able to scrape past them cuz of her serve...some other matches she played were just superb...she needs to take control of rallies and not be passive...good example is the jheng match...if she plays like that she will lose to a top player...she cant rely on her serve that much..i desperately hope she gets it together

serenus_2k8
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Because there's any logic about personal taste and Serena's lack of fashion sense? :weirdo:

Get over yourself, stalker

:haha: You're hardly worth replying too, yet alone stalking, but thanks for the laugh.

Your ridiculous posts have ranged from Serenas general appearence to how Oracene looks as well, with countless insults about her game - in Serenas forum!!

So get over yourself, hater

Apoleb
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:34 PM
you're right. you're much more credible.

Yes.

supergrunt
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I find it interesting how posters have completely undermined Serena's performance in Miaimi this year against Justine, in making the argument that Justine played the worst match of her life, and basically gave the match away. Whereas last year, it was Justine who was being praised and applauded for defeating a sub par Serena in the quarters of three majors, particulary at the U.S open where posters claimed Justine played the tournament of her career, despite that Serena had suffered a bad injury in the previous slam. Her match's in Miami, were the first time in a while I've seen Serena be really agressive from behind the baseline, dictating play on every shot, and not allowing herself to be dictated, as well as playing solid defense. She simply has to bring this style of play at majors against the top players instead of the passive lethargic game she's been playing recently.

Thank you :worship:

supergrunt
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:42 PM
obviously Justine couldn't have played her best because it was 2 and 0, but whose to say that if Justine would have played well that she still would not have lost. I really don't think Serena was going to lose 4 x in a row- the point being that she was going to beat Justine in the slams anyways... :rolleyes:

Il Primo!
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:12 PM
:haha: You're hardly worth replying too, yet alone stalking, but thanks for the laugh.

Your ridiculous posts have ranged from Serenas general appearence to how Oracene looks as well, with countless insults about her game - in Serenas forum!!

So get over yourself, hater

Insults?:help: Show me:)

supergrunt
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Just in case anyone is still on this:
Real Un-biased Highlights from Miami Quaterfinal
http://youtube.com/watch?v=z09umayxFEM
Biased Video Showing Justine's Errors posted by Kworb (infamous Serena hater on wtaworld under the alias "kworb2")
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BdBO-08f7jM

supergrunt
Jul 18th, 2008, 06:28 PM
:)