PDA

View Full Version : Venus v Serena - the pendulum swinging back towards big sister?

StephenUK
Jul 15th, 2008, 12:06 PM
2000-1 Venus dominated Serena and wins slams

2002 Miami - Serena defeats Venus and starts period of Serena slam domination over big sister to Wimbledon 2003.

The last 5 years since Serena defeated Venus at 2003 Wimbledon, however there has been a change..

Venus's slam record over this period is better - she has won 3 Wimbledons, Serena has won 2 Australians.
Venus has won 3 out of 4 matches between the sisters, all in straight sets. Serena has only won 1 match of the 4, on a final set tie-break and the least important match, a tier III semi in Bangalore.

What is your explanation and do you see this continuing?

Watching
Jul 15th, 2008, 12:09 PM
You are probably right between the rivalry individually although I beleive Serena will get her fair share of the next few matches.

On tour scale though Serena is currently making more noise than Venus who just shows up to win Wimbledon every year. Serena is making headway in the rankings back for no.1 and has multiple titles this year.

kwilliams
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I think it's still too soon to say. They just aren't playing often enough for a pattern to emerge. Serena really wasn't at her best post AO 2005 and Venus really should've won that match in Bangalore. She had the opportunities she needed.

The Dawntreader
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I think winning Wimbledon against Serena was bigger for Venus than Serena in terms of knowing she could compete so ferociously against Serena. I have never seen Venus that intense against Serena since Miami 2005, where i still think Serena was in pretty good shape.

I hope this match-up becomes more recurrent, because it's a truly enthralling rivalry. The US Open could be very revealing;)

AcesHigh
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Hopefully, Serena can pull herself together, but Venus should definitely be making moves. Her last 4 slam results are the best since 2003 (W 3r QF SF).

Simply put, this is Venus's best opportunity to shine while we all know Serena can bounce back and just needs to show up better at slams.

tennnisfannn
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I surely hope so, it would be nice to see venus at her brilliant best. Every rivarly has this pendulum swing, I wih Kim had stayed on for Justine, those two have no business being out of the game so sooon.