PDA

View Full Version : Should a Grand Slam be in Russia?

Tennisation
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:15 AM
what is wrong with this picture? 4 of the most powerful nations in the world, Australia, France, Great Britain, and the U.S. having 4 most important tournaments in tennis history, yet they can't even produce the kind of talent to go along with their household names? Seems like all the talents are comming from Russia. I mean, when was the last time someone from their own country winning their slam besides Serena winning the US Open in 02 and Roddick in 03. At the moment, none of the top 4 countries have any real talents that would take over when the williams sisters, Amelie Mauresmo, Mary Pierce, Leyton Hewitt, and Andy Roddick retires. Yea, traditions have been around forever, but things do change, why can't there be a 5th or 6th grand slam? It could be in well-deserved Russia for developing so many great up-comming talents.

-Sonic-
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Short Answer: No.

jonny84
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I see what you mean but the calendar needs to be streamlined and there are no more room for any addiditional grand slams. Russia has the Kremlin Cup which is a "main" tournament, but get your point that there are many Russian players that are acheiving great things on tour.

Elwin.
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I understand your point but my answer is no

they already have a strong tier I :shrug:

Backhand_stille
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:34 AM
yeah, you can't change tennis history...
I hope that always will be only 4 GS.....

Adal
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I'd love Russia to have one, but there are only 4 GS, and it should stay that way. And Russia has a Tier I tourny already ;)

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:44 AM
No. Slams are slams.
Besides, there is not a single tennis center/stadium in Russia that could host a 2-week event.

ClaudiaZ-S
1 000 000 x NO

Natalicious
no

Serval
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:04 AM
No.

Shepster
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Don't a lot of players hate going over to Russia? They get treated better at Tier II Stuttgart and the entry lists show that. Last year 13 of the 28 players were from Russia, Ukraine and Belarus, the year before over half the draw was Russians alone. The Tier I in Moscow is basically a huge Arena portioned off into 4, I'd be amazed if they could hold a 128-person draw just for the women, let alone with the men too and then ... at what comfort for the players?

VRee_Willario
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Hmmm, They could Host it in Yakutsk. That would be exotic :p ;)

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:09 AM
There certainly is a case to be made for adding one or two more smaller tournaments on Russian soil but as right now the WTA is trying to cut back it's schedule rather than expand it, now is not a good time.

A new Grand Slam? It would be extremely difficult to establish - anywhere. I don't see it happening.

In The Zone
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Because a nation does not produce home soil winners, ( Hewitt won USO and Wimb, not OZ, Venus has been winning Wimbledon, Serena OZ, Mauresmo won OZ and WIM ) this does not mean a 5th slam should be created. The reasons the slams exist do not correlate with home soil success.

shaktincredible
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:13 AM
they deserve YES actually based on many wonderful players they have.
but i'm gonna say NO because grand slam would be only four,forever and ever!!!

mckyle.
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:13 AM
What really scares me is the thought of companies from certain countries being able to buy slams. The WTA Tour seems like it has become so obsessed with money recently and I really hope grand-slam-buying doesn't become reality :o

-Sonic-
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:20 AM
5 years ago, I'm sure people were thinking there should be one in Belgium.

Wouldn't that be funny now...

Markus
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:21 AM
What really scares me is the thought of companies from certain countries being able to buy slams. The WTA Tour seems like it has become so obsessed with money recently and I really hope grand-slam-buying doesn't become reality :o
That said perhaps we will have the Slams in Dubai, Moscow, Shanghai and Mumbai in 2012. :angel:

Harvs
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:53 AM
hell no.

and the four countries that host them are 4 of the countries who have produced the greatest champions in history.. tey have some of the richest tennis history.. that y they host them:)

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:56 AM
5 years ago, I'm sure people were thinking there should be one in Belgium.

Wouldn't that be funny now...

Err...I think Belgium would never have been in the same situation as Russia. Belgium has never had more than a small handful of good players. Admittedly 3 or 4 years ago two of those good players were very very good indeed. But what distinguishes Russia is it's depth. The have a huge amount of players of both sexes, although more in the Women's game, throughout the rankings. The Belgium equivalent now is Serbia and no one would suggest having a Grand Slam in Serbia either.

And a better question is should there be a new tournament, not a Slam, introduced in both Russia and Serbia, then I would say if it is feasable, yes.

drgray
Jul 15th, 2008, 12:04 PM
An indoor slam in Russia would be really cool. But they are all about reducing the number of required events recently so it won't ever happen...

Wojtek
Jul 15th, 2008, 12:07 PM
stupid thread No

Dave.
Jul 15th, 2008, 12:10 PM
No, there are only 4 slams and it should always be that way. They are the four biggest tennis tournaments that players have trained their whole lives to compete in them.

Jakeev
Jul 15th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Considering the reason why most Russian women want to become tennis players is to get out of Russia, helllllll no.

Besides, how popular is tennis really to the nation as a whole?

lynxy
Jul 15th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I don't know how the gangsters are getting on there recently, but if I were a top player I would worry about being kidnapped there.
Besides, Russia has obstructive Visa requirements, for the spectators if not the players...

Cp6uja
Jul 15th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Between may and september we have 3 Grand Slams so no place for 4th. So only possible surface for eventual new Russian Open in Moscow between november and march is ICE. :devil:

Alternate is Indoors tournament, but that is too complicate and especialy too expensive to be organized (needs atleast 10 indoors courts, plus 2 big arenas).

BTW slams is not playing in "countries", they is playing in "cities" and strongest city ever in tennis history is Belgrade :rocker2: :devil: (currently WTA#1,#2, ATP#3, ATPdb#1,#4 is Belgrade born players)... and we will be happy with 600.000$ level tournament (WTA or ATP no mater)... but still our strongest tournament is 100K ATP chalenger.

So whole idea is not so serious, but for future i'm sure that soon or later for WTA will be logical question: How on earth Miami, Indian Wells, Madrid and Beijing have mandatory tornament in new WTA shedule (since 2009) and Moscow dont have??? That is real question and Russia of course deserve one elite WTA (mandatory level) tournament. But also i dont know is Russians ever ask that (for WTA mandatory or ATP masters series you need big money prize and modern tennis arena for that which must be indoors in Moscow case, something like Beijing or Shangai construct especialy because this events)?

Miss Amor
Jul 15th, 2008, 12:50 PM
no

ASP0315
Jul 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM
slams in russia.? i don't think they could afford to host slams.

i like the indoor indoor slam idea but there are many places which can do that. places like madrid, paris or shaghai would be my choices to host the slam. ;)

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Considering the reason why most Russian women want to become tennis players is to get out of Russia, helllllll no.
Kournikova and Sharapova are not "most Russian women".

Besides, how popular is tennis really to the nation as a whole?
About as popular as it is in UK or USA or France, i.e. not that popular.

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 15th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I don't know how the gangsters are getting on there recently, but if I were a top player I would worry about being kidnapped there.

This is even more ridiculous statement considering it's coming from someone with British flag above his/her avatar :tape:
How many were killed with knife in London yesterday? :wavey:

OsloErik
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Russia has won a combined total of 9 singles slams in the past 12 years. From 1985 through 1997, German men and women won 30 singles slams combined. They didn't get a slam. From 1978 through 1990, Czechoslovakian men a women won 12 slams combined, plus the Suk/Sukova clan, Jana Novotna, and Navratilova. They didn't get a slam. Swedish men won more slams in a 20 year period than any other nation. Sweden never got a slam.

The slams are located in the four countries that have historically been the hotbeds of tennis, the countries that ponied up to have national championships before the open-era and attracted foreigners. The locations of the biggest events shouldn't change just because the dominant nations change. American women have as many slams this year as Russian women, and more slam finals. French women make up more top 500 players than virtually any other nation. It takes years and years to gain the prestige of a slam. The French Open has had a full field since the mid 80's, and it's still struggling for acceptance as equal of Wimbledon and the US Open. The Australian has been a more accurate barometer of multiple slam winners than any other slam since the 1990's, yet many fans still view it as the "weakest" of the four. Just having a full field, 128 player draw, 1000 points for the champion, and over 20 million in total prize money isn't sufficient to be respected as a legitimate slam.

Dave.
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:02 PM
BTW slams is not playing in "countries", they is playing in "cities" and strongest city ever in tennis history is Belgrade :rocker2: :devil: (currently WTA#1,#2, ATP#3, ATPdb#1,#4 is Belgrade born players)... and we will be happy with 600.000$ level tournament (WTA or ATP no mater)... but still our strongest tournament is 100K ATP chalenger.

The key word being "born" but not "trained" there. But there does seem to be tremendous interest in tennis in Belgrade so I do wonder why they don't have at least a TIII or IV.

AndreConrad
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Four slams are great. The atmosphere of tradition in tennis is great; I am sure if feels awesome to win Wimbledon where so many stars won before regardless what country you came from. The new talent will come from all over the place as the world equalizes. Right now it is Russia and Eastern Europe tomorrow perhaps China and then maybe back to the US, UK, etc. who knows. I also would not complain about French tennis; I think there is a lot happening there. US certainly could step up a bit; it will happen soon no doubt.

OsloErik
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:12 PM

Dementieva, Myskina, Chakvetadze? All staying put in Russia. Kuznetsova? Wants to buy a place in St. Petersburg. Zvonareva? Lives in Moscow. Fact is, the vast majority of the Russians live in Russia. The 10% who don't happen to be relatively high profile. But they retain their citizens much better than, say, Serbia (Florida, Switzerland, and Germany for Jankovic, Ivanovic, and Djokvovic) or France (half of whom move to Geneva the moment they can afford to).

Additionally, Russia fills stadiums larger than any the U.S.A. has thrown up for Davis OR Fed Cup. Stowe? Portland? Where ARE those places? It looked like court #1 at Wimbledon and Suzanne Lenglen at the French. The stadium Tarpischev puts together seats more than Arthur Ashe. And is filled for EVERY match.

mckyle.
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:22 PM

Tennis is huge in France :lol:

OsloErik
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:25 PM
strongest city ever in tennis history is Belgrade

Yes, a lot of talented tennis players have been born in Belgrade. How many trained their? And where do they live now? Switzerland, Florida, and Germany all have sufficient tennis tournaments, thank you. And I'd argue that the Dusseldorf region of Germany is much more successful. Graf, Becker, Stich, and several other notable tennis players from the pre-Open era were all born in Dusseldorf, being raised elsewhere in south western Germany.

AndreConrad
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I guess I am going to repeat myself. Do you guys think you can replace the feeling of winning where Borg, Evert, Navratilova, Becker, Agassi (…….) won before. The new slam will not have the same feeling anymore. Current and future players dream about winning there just because of that fact. Do you think new venue can generate as much excitement? Furthermore adding more water to a good wine doesn’t make it better. I love change, but I would not change that. One thing that I would do is give different cities a shot at hosting Tier I or II. Perhaps with time they will be capable to create the atmosphere and build up some history and through that become a slam tournament.

Hazel
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:59 PM
what is wrong with this picture? 4 of the most powerful nations in the world, Australia, France, Great Britain, and the U.S. having 4 most important tournaments in tennis history, yet they can't even produce the kind of talent to go along with their household names? Seems like all the talents are comming from Russia. I mean, when was the last time someone from their own country winning their slam besides Serena winning the US Open in 02 and Roddick in 03. At the moment, none of the top 4 countries have any real talents that would take over when the williams sisters, Amelie Mauresmo, Mary Pierce, Leyton Hewitt, and Andy Roddick retires. Yea, traditions have been around forever, but things do change, why can't there be a 5th or 6th grand slam? It could be in well-deserved Russia for developing so many great up-comming talents.

You are one thick tit.

Dawson.
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:06 PM
i didnt think players liked going to russia (except the russian players of course). if the kremlin cup was reduced to a tier 2, i think they would struggle to attract big international names.

back to the question - no. there are 4 slams, and thats how its gonna stay.

if they were to add another slam it would be in china anyways :shrug:

Cp6uja
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Yes, a lot of talented tennis players have been born in Belgrade. How many trained their? And where do they live now? Switzerland, Florida, and Germany all have sufficient tennis tournaments, thank you. And I'd argue that the Dusseldorf region of Germany is much more successful. Graf, Becker, Stich, and several other notable tennis players from the pre-Open era were all born in Dusseldorf, being raised elsewhere in south western Germany.Official residence is more connected with taxes than where they realy live or training (especialy since they pro). For your information Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Jankovic and Novak Djokovic during last or this season spend in Belgrade more WEEKS than DAYS in Switzerland (Ana), Florida (Jelena) or Germany (Novak) if we not count time where they plays Zurich (Ana), Miami/Amelia (JJ) or Hamburg (Novak) tournaments which dont have anything with their "residence".

When thay is about 15y young Ana realy spend many time in Switzerland (land of her first sponsor, manager and coach), Novak in Germany (Nikola Pilic tennis academy) and Jelena in Florida (Nick Bollettieri Academy)... but now when thay is pro what they do in that places (only Jelena which have house in Florida like to rest sometime, but she is also more often in Belgrade than Ana or Nole).

For example Ana comming to Australia in late december to prepare for AO surface and tournaments, before red clay season her favorite place for preparing is Barcelona, for Wimbledon in London, for US Open on US Open tournaments series... so she dont have anything with Suiss... or what Novak Djokovic or Jelena Jankovic like established TOP5 players have NOW with Pilic or Bollettieri students in Germany or Florida - nothing of course. So they are Serbian players from Serbia not less or more than any other TOP10 players from their native countries (except Sharapova which realy based on other country).

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Tennis is huge in France :lol:

Comparing to football and rugby? C'mon now ;)

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:47 PM
i didnt think players liked going to russia (except the russian players of course). if the kremlin cup was reduced to a tier 2, i think they would struggle to attract big international names.

Majority of Russian public are not interested in the foreign stars. Kafelnikov, Safin, Myskina, Dementieva, Sharapova could draw a lot of public.
As for Lindsay, Venus, Amelie etc., unless they play a Russian the stands are half empty.

kwilliams
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:54 PM
No way.

Russian players aren't exactly ruling the slams, there may be a lot of them but aside from Sharapova (and to a lesser extent Kuznetsova) which Russians are doing well slam after slam. The Russians aren't doing so much better than the Americans. In fact 4 Russians made the 4th round of Wimbledon and 3 Americans did the same. Not such a huge difference and kind of expected when you consider the original numbers in the main draw.

Also part of the appeal of the slams is the prestige, the history and the honour roll. I think a new slam would take quite a few years to get off the ground and we don't know what shape women's tennis will be in then. Anyway it would likely remain the inferior slam for at least a 2 or 3 decades.

Also the USA, Britain, Australia and France may have produced more tennis champions in the past but they also built the tour. In the past virtually all tournaments were in N. America, Europe or Oz. The tour may have fanned out but I don't think it should fan out too far. The slams and their supporting tournaments were what built the tour and made it a success. Tampering with that might not be the best idea. Also many tournaments in these countries have already been sacrificed for the sake of expansion...this shouldn't be taken too far.

I do like the way the YEC changes location every few years now. Maybe after Doha and Istanbul they should have a stint in Moscow or St. Petersburg.

miffedmax
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Yes, with the Kremlin Cup retroactively being declared a grand slam in 2007.

supergrunt
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:56 PM

:haha:

Philbo
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:57 PM

1) Just because Russia has a lot of talent now, doesnt mean they will still have so much talent in 15-20 years - look at australia and the USA and how poweful they have been previously. This ebbs and flows.

2) Doesnt the Kremlin cup have pretty ordinary crowds? Unless the Kremlin Cup is maxed out with full crowds for the whole duration of the tournament, they cannot really justify a two week event based on fan numbers.

Lunaris
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Grandslams everywhere. There should be at least one every month.

Sash1
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I like the idea of 4 slams but it'd be cool to have one moving slam every year - i.e. one year AO is held in Tokyo, next year FO in Barcelona, etc just for the excitement factor :D

Denise4925
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Not with all of the violence against minorities there.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Roland Garros should be played in Spain instead

backslapu
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:44 PM

Roland Garros should definitely stay in France. I think there should be a Grand Slam in Asia because we already have 2 in Europe. That way we can have more Asians in tennis and not all just Europeans.

cheo23
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Why Russia?? Lindsay's even like Scared to go there and she hates Europe... There's no Point.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Roland Garros should definitely stay in France. I think there should be a Grand Slam in Asia because we already have 2 in Europe. That way we can have more Asians in tennis and not all just Europeans.

Frenchies have no chances in Roland Garros , while the spaniards are winning year after year

LindsayRulz
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:51 PM
No.

AndreConrad
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Frenchies have no chances in Roland Garros , while the spaniards are winning year after year

I did not know Nadal has been cloned. Is it legal in Spain?:confused:

Sharapowerr
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:57 PM
No , but the YEC should be in Moscow or Sochi next time.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I did not know Nadal has been cloned. Is it legal in Spain?:confused:

Arantxa , Bruguera , Gimeno , Costa , Moya , Ferrero , Nadal , etc etc

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:59 PM
No , but the YEC should be in Moscow or Sochi next time.

This idea is more viable . I like it

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:03 PM
sure

cn ireland
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Absolutely not. The Slams are fine as they are :yeah:

mal
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Absolutely not. The Slams are fine as they are :yeah:

I'm not so sure.
Geo-politically, the most important regions are, China, Europe, India, Africa and North America. India will be the workshop for Russia, and the other countries of the former Soviet Union who do not wish to join Europe, and use the euro as their primary currency.
Therefore Russia is likely to be much more important than any other European country, with perhaps the exception of the Ukraine, because of the favorable? exchange rate (on India's side) between India and China.
Why does Australia qualify as an important country, other than the fact that it has a good climate and is in the Southern hemisphere, and also happens to be next in line to have a currency union with the United States (when the Queen dies, and the country becomes a republic, maybe), hence the Pope's visit. Why he can't leave the country to the Church of England and has to bring his illegal form of Christianity out there God only knows.

With such a big population, it makes more sense to have a slam there.

Mightymirza
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:22 PM
...;13628434']hell no.

and the four countries that host them are 4 of the countries who have produced the greatest champions in history.. tey have some of the richest tennis history.. that y they host them:)

umm no..its just tradition :silly: going on for hundreds of years thats what makes it special..

AndreConrad
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Arantxa , Bruguera , Gimeno , Costa , Moya , Ferrero , Nadal , etc etc

Damn a shot at being funny did not work :(.... I knew I should go with sex change operation for my post :lol:

LudwigDvorak
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Majority of Russian public are not interested in the foreign stars. Kafelnikov, Safin, Myskina, Dementieva, Sharapova could draw a lot of public.
As for Lindsay, Venus, Amelie etc., unless they play a Russian the stands are half empty.

The stadium was almost entirely empty in the '05 Moscow QF between Myskina and Dementieva. Perhaps that was due to the time of the week/day, but...:shrug:

Last year's final was packed, though.

To answer the question: no.

Dodoboy.
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:37 PM
NO NOO NOOO NOO NOO!!

no :)

Uranium
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:43 PM
No, I think a Tier I there is good enough. Because if there would be a slam there it would most likely be indoors and we don't need that. But if that were to happen, cool, but I don't think it ever will.

jochem
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Please keep it as it is... This is TRADITION!!!! I know in these years tradition doesn't mean a lot to many as people are so focused on money, power etc but the players and REAL tennis fans know it's tradition and honour that make it so special to play and win the GSs. I mean players usually want to win Wimbledon if they could choose because the tradition is so rich. I think its utter BS China thinks they can get a GS just because they're an up and coming powerhouse, I mean they just don't get it. Stick with it!

sasha&tennis
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:30 PM
NO

Venus3000
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:52 PM
No. It would take away from the history of the game. Imagine if they were 6 grand slams a year and someone passed Steffi. It would be a kind of watered down feat. Not the same if someone passed her playing only 4 slams a year.

danieln1
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:55 PM
No
Because then Serbia, Spain will also want to have slams

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:58 PM
The stadium was almost entirely empty in the '05 Moscow QF between Myskina and Dementieva. Perhaps that was due to the time of the week/day, but...:shrug:

Last year's final was packed, though.

To answer the question: no.

You need to remember that "Olympiysky" is an indoor football stadium that could host more than 60,000 viewers. During Kremlin Cup it's transformed into 4 main courts and 2 (or three -- I don't remember the exact number) practice courts.
The center court capacity is around 12,000. What you get to see on TV is VIP and "premium" stands and they are always empty but that's only like 2,000 seats.

Anabelcroft
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I think YEC schould be in Russia...fair enough

debby
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:31 PM

No, Roland Garros should be renamed "Nadal Open" ;)

doma221
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Like uranium said tier I is good enough, i don't think it's possible in the near future that we'll have a fifth grand slam tournament in Russia in China or anywhere else, for so many years the number of grand slams hasn't changed as well as the locations
and even if someday there will be another grand slam it won't be that much prestigious as the old ones

Slutiana
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Oh no.

kiwifan
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:55 PM
no.

mal
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:00 PM
No
Because then Serbia, Spain will also want to have slams

Are we talking about adding slams or just replacing one of them with another one.

OsloErik
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Official residence is more connected with taxes

Because all the Serbian tennis greats are enormous patriots, at least until the time comes to actually give back financially to the country they fly the flag for. Then they scurry off to their tax shelter. Like an American C.E.O. How commendable.

Sharapower8
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Unfortunatly I don't think it would change one day but I do think there should be a GS in Russia :sad:
Plus, I think it should be considering the number of great Russian players :p

frontier
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:34 PM
hell no!

kinseh
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:39 PM

:lol:

supergrunt
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I would much prefer to end the season with ...

a full-blown 5th Grand Slam, Moscow indoors

than:

the minnie-mouse, round-robin YEC Championship.

I agree. I think the last tournament of the year should have a 128 player draw and what not. It will not be the same as a Grand Slam but...

kinseh
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:02 PM
One word: Traditions. Slams are slams. Although Russia certainly deserves a slam based on how many good players they have compared to many other countries, adding a new slam would just not be the same. The atmosphere, the history (etc. etc. etc.), that's what makes slams slams. Achieving what the likes of Graf, Navratilova, Court, King, Borg, McEnroe etc. achieved by winning AO, RG, W or USO is not the same as winning 'Russian Open' or whatever a new slam tourney would be called.

Tennistourer
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:21 PM
NO.

Having another slam would diminsh the achievements of the great players in capturing so many slam titles in relatively short careers. If there were suddenly 5 slams per year, someone could, in a ten-year career, amass say 15 GS slam titles but how much of an achievement is that if the player had played in 50 slams in their career, when a player from what would be the 'old' era would have had only 40 opportunities to win slam titles in a ten-year career ?

And unless all the top players attended, any '5th slam' winner might find it's a bit like it's going to feel for the winner of this week's Open golf title, when Tiger Woods is not participating. Still a title for the winner, but the purists would sneer and not consider it as much of an achievement as winning when ALL the world's best players of that particular sport are competing.

Don't mess with tradition !

For me, the idea of a 5th GS is as ludicrous as the suggestion a few years back of doing away with the 2nd serve in tennis :rolleyes: It's part of the drama of tennis, and should not be messed with either.

Serenita
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:30 PM
No!!

Lulu.
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Absolutely not.

goldenlox
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I think if there was another major, it would be put in China, because they would spend so much money to make it a success.
But the current ITF bodies are going to cling tightly to their oligarchy.

dylan24
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:30 PM
no way.
russian mafia would have a field day fixing matches.
its bad enough w/ atp tournaments in russia.

VeeJJ
Jul 16th, 2008, 11:59 PM
that would be cool, yeah i'm for it, they are one the most donminat nations in the sport so yeah.

Jakeev
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:40 AM

Please, what Russian who becomes great in tennis wants to stay in Russia. I don't care what they say. And for the record, tennis is a huge recreational sport in all those nations.

Andrew Laeddis
Jul 17th, 2008, 03:35 AM
There are many talented Russians but I can only see one of them winning slams in the future. Kirilenko, Zvonereva, and Chakvetadze dont have the weaponry. Petrova peaked long ago. Dementieva's chances to win a slam are gone. Kuznetsova doesnt have the mental toughness.

AnomyBC
Jul 17th, 2008, 03:47 AM
I would have no problem with ditching the Australian Open for a Russian Grand Slam tournament in principle, but there's a big problem with that: Since Russia is in the Northern Hemisphere it would have to have it's tournament in the May-Sept months, and those months are just too crowded with Grand Slam tournaments already. The Australian Open works out better because it's in the opposite part of the year.

And if the idea is that there would be 5 Grand Slam tournaments, I would really hate that because it would make it that much more difficult to compare players from different eras. It's bad enough having the Open Era vs. the Pre-Open Era, but then we'd also have the 5 Slam Era vs. 4 Slam Era. That would suck.

kellswater
Jul 17th, 2008, 03:49 AM
There are many talented Russians but I can only see one of them winning slams in the future. Kirilenko, Zvonereva, and Chakvetadze dont have the weaponry. Petrova peaked long ago. Dementieva's chances to win a slam are gone. Kuznetsova doesnt have the mental toughness.

:rolleyes::bounce::bounce::bounce::rolleyes:

Uranium
Jul 17th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I would have no problem with ditching the Australian Open for a Russian Grand Slam tournament in principle, but there's a big problem with that: Since Russia is in the Northern Hemisphere it would have to have it's tournament in the May-Sept months, and those months are just too crowded with Grand Slam tournaments already. The Australian Open works out better because it's in the opposite part of the year.

And if the idea is that there would be 5 Grand Slam tournaments, I would really hate that because it would make it that much more difficult to compare players from different eras. It's bad enough having the Open Era vs. the Pre-Open Era, but then we'd also have the 5 Slam Era vs. 4 Slam Era. That would suck.

I love the Australian Open and don't want that to be the slam to leave. I think the slams are fine the way they are. Russia should be happy with a Tier I, I love Russia, but I don't want tradition to be broken.
I like the idea of a Indoor Super Tier I(if there is one) at the end of the year that is 128 draw.

young_gunner913
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Hell to the no. :)

Uranium
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:04 PM

Also, I forgot to say this, it's hard to compare eras since many players felt that the Australian Open was insignificant and didn't play it, so they missed out on winning that slam.

Lucas_Arg
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I think the WTA Champs should be in Russia, or in Cape Town maybe...

Warrior
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:36 PM
4 slams are enough, but YEC in Russia may be a good idea

xan
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:11 PM
A grand Slam can't just be started up. The existing slams have taken 60 - 110 years to develop into what they are today. You need the tennis complex, and the guaranteed attendance of hundreds of thousands of paying spectators.

A fifth slam would be very difficult to schedule, and Paris, :ondon, melbourne and New York aren't likely to drop out. An indoor, late season slam might be possible, but the costs of establishing it would be huge - still leaving the problem of getting the spectators in. I notice that China seems to be cutting out a two-week window for itself with their mens and womens tournamnts in Peking, but too close to the US Open to become a slam.

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Please, what Russian who becomes great in tennis wants to stay in Russia. I don't care what they say. And for the record, tennis is a huge recreational sport in all those nations.

1) All Grand Slam champions in singles except Sharapova -- Kafelnikov, Safin, Myskina, Kuznetsova. Plus Dementieva.
2) Recreational sport is a hobby. I was talking about real, professional sport.

kinseh
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:55 PM
All Grand Slam champions in singles except Sharapova -- Kafelnikov, Safin, Myskina, Kuznetsova. Plus Dementieva.

Safin lives in Monaco, if I remember correctly? :shrug:

die_wahrheit
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:20 PM
The French Open has had a full field since the mid 80's, and it's still struggling for acceptance as equal of Wimbledon and the US Open. The Australian has been a more accurate barometer of multiple slam winners than any other slam since the 1990's, yet many fans still view it as the "weakest" of the four. Just having a full field, 128 player draw, 1000 points for the champion, and over 20 million in total prize money isn't sufficient to be respected as a legitimate slam.

In your dreams. French have passed this US thing.

Only Wimbledon - of course - stands apart and cruises at the top.

I don't see a reason why there should not be some further slam.

In 70ies, of course, French and Australian were dead.
And now?
French are more prestigious than US. And Australian are called a real Grand Slam.

Fingon
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:37 PM
no

Andrew Laeddis
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:40 PM

And now?
French are more prestigious than US. And Australian are called a real Grand Slam.

:lol:

goldenlox
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Please, what Russian who becomes great in tennis wants to stay in Russia. I don't care what they say. And for the record, tennis is a huge recreational sport in all those nations.Dementieva, Myskina, Chakvetadze, Kafelnikov,

Melly Flew Us
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:17 AM
no. unless the russian open would replace the australian and be played on ice.

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Safin lives in Monaco, if I remember correctly? :shrug:

Safin spends a LOT of time in Moscow. As for him residing in Monte Carlo it's much easier to get to European tournaments from there.

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:57 AM
no. unless the russian open would replace the australian and be played on ice.

finally a real fast court :bounce:

Uranium
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:04 AM

And now?

The USO is better than the French, the French is usually the worst slam of the year.

mal
Jul 18th, 2008, 02:37 AM
The USO is better than the French, the French is usually the worst slam of the year.

How about it?

Guess what? I found out today what the French for Bastille Day is.
That must make July (Julius) the "Kiwiburger Month" in France."

Those French!!:help:

Svetlana.
Jul 18th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Russia is not ready to have a GS. They barely get a full stadium to see the Kremlin Cup matches.

mal
Jul 18th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Russia is not ready to have a GS. They barely get a full stadium to see the Kremlin Cup matches.

True, if anyone in Europe has a new GS it will be either Poland or Germany.

OsloErik
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Safin spends a LOT of time in Moscow. As for him residing in Monte Carlo it's much easier to get to European tournaments from there.

And avoid taxes ;)

goldenlox
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:43 PM
That's why Marat, Dinara and Nadia moved, tax free residents.
Most of the Russian players are still in Russia.
Vesnina, Likhovtseva, Dushevina, Chakvetadze, Kirilenko. I can keep going.
They like where they live.

kinseh
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:54 PM
And avoid taxes ;)

Safin is smart. :p

No, I get your point, guys. I'm sure the Russians love Russia. Many players move to Monaco just to avoid taxes.

Dani12
Jul 18th, 2008, 02:02 PM
No. Its not going to happen, four grand slams will stay forever that way.

Also since when is Australia one of the most powerful nations in the world? :lol:

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 18th, 2008, 03:16 PM
And avoid taxes ;)

That's why Marat, Dinara and Nadia moved, tax free residents.

Safin is smart. :p

No, I get your point, guys. I'm sure the Russians love Russia. Many players move to Monaco just to avoid taxes.

They should ashamed of themselves :fiery: :lol:
Income tax in Russia is only 13%.

kinseh
Jul 18th, 2008, 03:17 PM
They should ashamed of themselves :fiery: :lol:
Income tax in Russia is only 13%.

Are you serious? :eek:
It's so damn much higher in Denmark!

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 18th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Are you serious? :eek:
It's so damn much higher in Denmark!

Russia imposes a flat tax of 13% on personal income of tax residents of Russia, including capital gains. Dividends received are taxed at source at 9%. Lottery winnings and bank interest in excess of going Central Bank rate are taxed at 35%. Capital gains on sales of real estate and securities owned for a period of at least 3 years are free from taxation. The law provides for a number of itemized deductions, notably home purchase deduction, available once in lifetime, and college cost deduction. Maximum cap on these deductions is set quite low: tax savings on a home purchase are limited to 130,000 roubles (US $5,600) for both spouses.

Current expenses (even related to business revenue), depreciation, losses on investments are not deductible, unless the individual taxpayer register himself as a private entrepreneur and maintains separate bookkeeping on his private and business operations.

Resident corporate taxpayers are generally taxed at 24% on their pre-tax profits. A small business (including registered individual entrepreneurs) may elect to be taxed under simplified system and, instead of regular profit and value added tax, pay a flat 6% on gross receipts or 18% on gross margin.

Non-residents (individual and corporate) are taxed at a flat rate of 30%, except dividends received - 15%. Bilateral tax treaties may reduce this rate to zero.

Thanks to wikipedia. I couldn't have explained all this properly due to my poor English.

goldenlox
Jul 18th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Agents tell them that if they rent an apartment in this country, they save x amount of money.
Sveta's legal residence is not Spain, she's in a tax free apartment too.

Ksenia.
Jul 18th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I think all current grand slams are older than 100 years? It would be weird to add a new one :shrug:

saniapower
Jul 18th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Russia deserve but its not necessary. they need to make appropriate arrangement to host a big tierI(increase prize money & no of participating players of Kremlin cup) or may be more which they can obviously do.
i think today the main focus is on soccer not tennis

BAD_MOUTH
Jul 19th, 2008, 02:34 PM
indonesia should have one