PDA

View Full Version : List player routines/odd habits during matches

hankqq
Jul 14th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I thought it might be amusing to list all the quirks of the players during matches.

For example, Clijsters picked up Hewitt's head bobbing and string picking between points while she dated him. Even after they broke up, she kept this quirk up until she retired.

Sharapova, Ivanovic, Hantuchova and Peer all turn their backs to their opponents and pump themselves up between almost every point.

Serena frequently fixes her earrings.

Jankovic uses tissues and fixes her ponytail.

What are/what were some others?

LudwigDvorak
Jul 14th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Some Elena ones:
- ties her shoes frequently, especially when losing a point
- bathroom break between second and third set
- has conversations with her mother frequently
- high pitched squeal
- after a big win, usually does some kind of half-twirl/pirouette

Am I forgetting anything? :lol:

squig2k
Jul 14th, 2008, 11:33 PM
after a big win, usually does some kind of half-twirl/pirouette

love that, with her squeal of joy :worship:

hankqq
Jul 14th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Some Elena ones:
- high pitched squeal

:rolls: Wow, you've really studied up on her !! :)

I have to say I do get a kick out of the conversations she and Vera have :haha:.

Myskina used to scream at her coach/boyfriend too.

Henin always looked to Carlos for support.

Bartoli frequently shakes her wrists-I hope it's just a habit and not because they hurt her all the time...

Natash.
Jul 14th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Kirilenko and a few players blow their hands in between points. :hearts:

Vania King rubs her belly with the ball :lol:

The Daviator
Jul 14th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Some Elena ones:
- high pitched squeal

Aren't you forgetting "NYET!!"? ;)

Lindsay - smiling when serving, never smiling at any other times.

Ana - not standing on the lines, ajding, fist-pumping, squealing after winning, moving the visor over her face repeatedly :lol:

AcesHigh
Jul 14th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Pierce's ridiculous routine

Lindsayfan32
Jul 14th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Lindsay tieing her shoe laces at every change of ends. I've never seen any other player do it and I would love to ask her why. Both shoes every change of ends. Never misses.

drake3781
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Somebody else can mention all of Ana's but one that really annoys me is that weird little shriek she makes if she wins. :tape:

debopero
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:10 AM
What is the blowing on the hands for (Kirlenko, Pierce, and Fish do it) ?

Uranium
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Kirilenko and a few players blow their hands in between points. :hearts:

Dokic:inlove:

debopero
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:13 AM

OMG, her rutine is very annoying :o. Has she ever gotten any warnings for it? It is definatley longer than Nadal's. But she obviously has to do it.

Chunchun
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:16 AM
serving two DF @ each service game? :shrug:

Sorana_Cirstea
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:17 AM
What was Pierce's routine?

I haven't seen any of the miserable old bat since she pulled that stunt at The USO in 2005.

tonybotz
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:18 AM
haha lindsay is not "smiling when she's serving" . its the way her face contorts when she reaches up to hit the ball. she's not thinking " oh joy, i'm hitting my serve!" as she beams a smile.

tonybotz
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:19 AM
serena bounces the ball 5 times before her first serve. seles would never step on the lines between points.

Dave.
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Yup, already mentioned were Lindsay's smile (I love it) and tieing shoes at every single changeover. She also uses her top to wipe of sweat instead of a towel. And she also has a real laid back walk to the chair. You'll never catch Linds running on a tennis court, whether it's between games or during a point.

Dave.
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:22 AM
haha lindsay is not "smiling when she's serving" . its the way her face contorts when she reaches up to hit the ball. she's not thinking " oh joy, i'm hitting my serve!" as she beams a smile.

ah come on it's a smile! she knows she's gonna hit an ace that's why :hearts:

http://media.tennishi.com/2007/07/20/lindasy-davenport-back-after-pregnancy.jpg

Uranium
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:24 AM
What was Pierce's routine?

I haven't seen any of the miserable old bat since she pulled that stunt at The USO in 2005.

what stunt are you referring to?

Dav.
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Dokic won't step on the lines.

Obviously Sharapova's pre-serve routine and Ana's antics.

Tati has a habit of geting injured whenever she steps on the court.

debopero
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:26 AM
what stunt are you referring to?

I think he is talking about the semifinal where she took the twelve minute time-out.

Sorana_Cirstea
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:30 AM
I think he is talking about the semifinal where she took the twelve minute time-out.

Yes, that is what I am talking about. Haha. I will still never believe that she beat Elena because she was the better player. She rattled Elena, and it was all downhill from there.

hankqq
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Alona Bondarenko and Chakvetadze always flip their big braids around. When they lose a point they flip it over their head in front of their face. :weirdo:

How about Venus?
Petrova?
Schnyder?

cheo23
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:02 AM
How about JJ?? She takes like 10000 bathroom breaks and her routine is to complain AFter every call and then she calls the trainer after every game???

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2006/0908/ten_ap_jankovic_195.jpg

http://www.celebrityphobia.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/34567_refere2dq6_122_371lo.jpg

Dave.
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:04 AM
I miss Marion's little hop before she served :sad:

Slutati
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Tati has a habit of geting injured whenever she steps on the court.
:sobbing::sobbing::o

young_gunner913
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:10 AM
I've noticed that Marion Bartoli is always moving when there's no play going on. Whether she's bouncing up and down or jogging.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2968/marionorigyc8.gif

swissmr
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:13 AM
I've never understood the finger blowing, is there actually a reason for it? or is it just a weird habit?

Dave.
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:17 AM
I've noticed that Marion Bartoli is always moving when there's no play going on. Whether she's bouncing up and down or jogging.

Any excuse to post that gif :spit: Gotta love Marion :worship:

I've never understood the finger blowing, is there actually a reason for it? or is it just a weird habit?

To keep their hands cool and loose under pressure

skanky~skanketta
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:18 AM

ROTF! that's a funny clip!

young_gunner913
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Any excuse to post that gif :spit: Gotta love Marion :worship:

Of course. :):lol:

Allez Marion! :worship::hearts:

slamchamp
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:25 AM
I've never understood the finger blowing, is there actually a reason for it? or is it just a weird habit?I suppose to dry the sweaty hands

Sorana_Cirstea
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Hahaha.

I love Marion.

Her BOTW classic match just started a little while ago.

she's up 3-1, with a break.

slamchamp
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:33 AM
serena looks at the camera at the moment of the ball toss

Sorana_Cirstea
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Venus will sometimes re-do her ball toss if she doesn't like her first attempt.

Nicolás89
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Sharapova shouting at her opponents when she does an odd error. :spit:

slamchamp
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Rodionova punching her opponents in the face when she loses

Sorana_Cirstea
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Haha.

Anastasia Rodionova has some serious anger issues. Maybe that is why she spent so much time playing the ITF circuit?

Aryman3
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:22 AM
No opne went so far as young Pierce. Each serving was a little theatre It lasted more than 30 sec.

Apoleb
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:44 AM

OH MY GOD. :haha: Classic.

Venus: showing/gritting her teeth.

Steffi from back in the days: blowing her hands, slapping her thighs, running her index on her cheeks.

Chunchun
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Nadal and the ass :o:o:o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PozI_6r1NE0&eurl=http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5767112796

Sassy-Na
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:53 AM
ana: fist-pump.
nicole: toilet break.

InsideOut.
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:53 AM
After winning a point, when Ana is either walking back to the baseline or the chair, she likes to stop and step on random places on the court. :lol:

Chunchun
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:56 AM
After winning a point, when Ana is either walking back to the baseline or the chair, she likes to stop and step on random places on the court. :lol:

like out national women volleyball team :rolls: Our girls like run all over the court when they win a point, while for other teams the girls will just group together and do sth cheering up :p :rolls:

hankqq
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:59 AM

Ah yes. Thanks Aploeb!

Nadal and the ass :o:o:o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PozI_6r1NE0&eurl=http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5767112796

I didn't look at the video because I DON'T need to see that :lol:, but could anyone imagine the response if a WTA player did that constantly? How would everyone respond if a WTA player picked her ass constantly like Nadal? :lol:

RenaSlam.
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:10 AM
For once I agree with Cheo. :lol: :spit: :weirdo:

stevos
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I came in here just to mention that one.
I loved the fixing of the hair for some reason. :hearts:
She better come back.

Yes. Another great one.

I remember Maria (sorry, this isnt a routine) but after a point she won against Serena in the AO 2005 semifinal, she looks back and gives some really sassy comment in Serena's direction, but I can never see what she's saying. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, that'd be great. :)
And of course she has the few bounces up and down before the serve, bouncing the ball twice on the ground, hair behind the ear, intense stare cross-court, bounce the ball another couple times if needed, and ace.

Adal
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I came in here just to mention that one.
I loved the fixing of the hair for some reason. :hearts:
She better come back.

Yes. Another great one.

I remember Maria (sorry, this isnt a routine) but after a point she won against Serena in the AO 2005 semifinal, she looks back and gives some really sassy comment in Serena's direction, but I can never see what she's saying. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, that'd be great. :)
And of course she has the few bounces up and down before the serve, bouncing the ball twice on the ground, hair behind the ear, intense stare cross-court, bounce the ball another couple times if needed, and ace.
I remember that point. Was it at 6-7 final set?

Chunchun
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Ah yes. Thanks Aploeb!

I didn't look at the video because I DON'T need to see that :lol:, but could anyone imagine the response if a WTA player did that constantly? How would everyone respond if a WTA player picked her ass constantly like Nadal? :lol:

idk. maybe she will be teased as disgusting, ungraceful, unclassy or unelegant while Rafael Nadal remains as the cutest guy happen to ATP :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :help:

Zamboni
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Flavia talks. To herself, her coach, her family, noone in particular....she just talks.
And she gestures a lot. Whether things are going well or not.

Plus she puts something on her hands before the match starts, with a stick. I guess it's something like magnesium? She's the only player who I've seen doing that.
Oh and she always blows her nose after the first game:lol:

Arantxa Rus lifts her racket a bit before receiving serve. I think it's part of her motion, but it's kind of weird.

Elwin.
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Michaella Krajicek bouncing the ball 1245030559903993373700110238488 times :weirdo: before she serves

Tennisation
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Serena's habit:http://youtube.com/watch?v=S7s-enR3o-o

*Jean*
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Amélie never walks on the lines.
She used to jump twice before asking for the ball to ballboys, fixing the strings, cleaning her forehead, bouncing the ball twice, and making a double fault :)

Tennisation
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Venus smiling happily as she shakes her apponent's hand after a loss:lol:

lynxy
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Yuliana Fedak tries to get herself going by saying to herself "Allez allez allez, dai dai dai" - something magic about the number 3?

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 15th, 2008, 12:28 PM

Ah yes, there is a very good explanation for this.

Mentioning it is one thing, but no has actually detailed all her routines for a very simple reason. It would just take too damn long. Probably several pages if someone were to take such a task seriously. Even forum posters have better things to do with their time. :tape:

Lyndle_BE
Jul 15th, 2008, 12:48 PM

Lol :haha: ...I continue to laugh everytime I see this clip

Willam
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Rodionova punching her opponents in the face when she loses

This made my day :lol:

drake3781
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Ah yes, there is a very good explanation for this.

Mentioning it is one thing, but no has actually detailed all her routines for a very simple reason. It would just take too damn long. Probably several pages if someone were to take such a task seriously. Even forum posters have better things to do with their time. :tape:

I've watched her play an entire match, and didn't notice anything at the time, and don't remember anything unusual. :confused:

Are people exaggerating this?

stevos
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I remember that point. Was it at 6-7 final set?

I feel like it might've been earlier, but maybe. :)

sammy01
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I've watched her play an entire match, and didn't notice anything at the time, and don't remember anything unusual. :confused:

Are people exaggerating this?

you must realy concentrate on the tennis, shes more routined than maria.

quick rundown -

toweling down (racket handle, arms, legs, face, very deliberetly) - later in her carrer

sweeping the baseline infront of her on clay

tugging at the hair and reajusting her ponytail, which often ended in her flicking hairs off her hand on court

couple of bounces of the ball

waiting for total silence, mary dosen't start her routine untill everyone is silent and all eyes are on her

blow on the hand

couple more bounces of the ball

eye lash twitching (which includes pulling lashes out very often)

wipe of the brow with finger if shes sweating

huge sigh and pause as racket and ball get finaly into start postion

pause length will depend on how tight the match is 1-2 seconds normaly anything upto 5 seconds if close

finaly she serves, this routine can take anything upto a minute.

also on returning she had some extra ones -

stretching to the extreme, i've actualy seen her on the floor stetching before returning a point

a look around when up to the baseline to make sure everyones silent and watching her

maybe another blow on the hands but not always

twizzle of the racket

holding up the server by putting her hand up if she hears a pin drop and 'pin drop' is not a metaphor for camiles serve lmao

i hope i didn't forget anything, i miss mary her routine is the stuff of dreams. when i think about the amount of times i've watched pierce play i must have spent days just watching her routine if you add all the time spent doing it together, blissful times. come back mary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharapowerr
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I thought it might be amusing to list all the quirks of the players during matches.

For example, Clijsters picked up Hewitt's head bobbing and string picking between points while she dated him. Even after they broke up, she kept this quirk up until she retired.

Sharapova, Ivanovic, Hantuchova and Peer all turn their backs to their opponents and pump themselves up between almost every point.

Serena frequently fixes her earrings.

Jankovic uses tissues and fixes her ponytail.

What are/what were some others?

JJ doing a little striptease:lol:
http://www.tennisinfo.be//obj/video/video_popup.php?vid_id=76

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:29 PM

quick rundown -

toweling down (racket handle, arms, legs, face, very deliberetly) - later in her carrer

tugging at the hair and reajusting her ponytail, which often ended in her flicking hairs off her hand on court

waiting for total silence, mary dosen't start her routine untill everyone is silent and all eyes are on her

blow on the hand

pause length will depend on how tight the match is 1-2 seconds normaly anything upto 5 seconds if close

stretching to the extreme, i've actualy seen her on the floor stetching before returning a point

a look around when up to the baseline to make sure everyones silent and watching her

twizzle of the racket

holding up the server by putting her hand up if she hears a pin drop and 'pin drop' is not a metaphor for camiles serve lmao

i hope i didn't forget anything, i miss mary her routine is the stuff of dreams. when i think about the amount of times i've watched pierce play i must have spent days just watching her routine if you add all the time spent doing it together, blissful times. come back mary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sensational post. :haha:

Absolutely brilliant. Some of the best writing I have read on these boards. Just great. Yeah Mary's idiosyncrasies are definately missed. One of a kind for sure.

heart
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Amélie never walks on the lines.
She used to jump twice before asking for the ball to ballboys, fixing the strings, cleaning her forehead, bouncing the ball twice, and making a double fault :)

:worship:

another ame habit i remember was she loves to twirl her hair :hearts: dont see that much now :awww:

justine schnyder
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:01 PM

:rolls: :rolls: That one always kills me!

:rolls: :tape:

Yonexforever
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Ah yes. Thanks Aploeb!

As I recall "ConCheater" Martinez would dig up her behind as well quite frequently!

slamchamp
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:28 PM
am I the only one who think Serena looks at the camera at the moment of the ball toss?:unsure:

Sharapowerr
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:39 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/roddickwatch/animated%20gifs/maria.gif

Allez! :shout::mad: :fiery:

Nice video Mria looks hot.. thnx for posting..:worship:

miffedmax
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Some Elena ones:
- high pitched squeal

The "Otilichna (sp?) or "Excellent" after hitting a winner.
The limp-wristed, 1950s-cotillion style handshake at the net
Back when she had the braid or pony tail instead of the bun, she'd pull it over her head and face after a bad error.

That half pirouette is the absolute nerdiest victory celebration in tennis and I love it.

liuxuan
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:31 PM
at a crucial point of the match when venus is really intense and pumped up, her top lip often comes up above her gum when standing to recieve serve!

The Dawntreader
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:20 PM
at a crucial point of the match when venus is really intense and pumped up, her top lip often comes up above her gum when standing to recieve serve!

I love that, you just know she's going to win when that occurs:D:bounce:

The only thing Venus shows facially when she gets pumped up:lol:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:33 PM

telling herself "pressure" (the return) :shrug:

THAT'S why she hits so many return winners :yeah:

Serenidad.
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:39 PM

:hearts: Truthspeakrena.

Dav.
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:11 PM
:hearts: Truthspeakrena.
Truthspeakrena. :lol:

cs0803
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Had to mention.... Dinara's random blinking just as she is about to start her ball toss.

sammy01
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Had to mention.... Dinara's random blinking just as she is about to start her ball toss.

she sweats a lot and i thought that was sweat getting in her eyes, i had no idea she did that deliberately lol!

Sean.
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Maria will only take the ball from one side
Serena walks the other way round the net at change of ends
Nadal does that funny run thing at the start of thr match (sorry ATP)

sammy01
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Maria will only take the ball from one side
Serena walks the wrong way round the net at change of ends
Nadal does that funny run thing at the start of thr match (sorry ATP)

lol she actualy is the only player that obeys the rules. the rules say at the end of the 1st game of each set the players should walk directly round the other side of the net (either side of the net posts) to play the next 2 games. players shouldn't towel down or drink water or whatever they do after that 1st game, its actualy against the rules but its never enforced! ;)

Sean.
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:54 PM
lol she actualy is the only player that obeys the rules. the rules say at the end of the 1st game of each set the players should walk directly round the other side of the net (either side of the net posts) to play the next 2 games. players shouldn't towel down or drink water or whatever they do after that 1st game, its actualy against the rules but its never enforced! ;)

;) corrected it

sammy01
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:58 PM
;) corrected it

i knew what you meant, its just funny that a rule is broke so often it feels wrong when its obeyed lol!

Sally Todd
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:10 AM

quick rundown -

blow on the hand

twizzle of the racket

:worship::worship::worship:

So glad you went through the trouble of breaking down the many elements of Mary's "rebabe-ing" routine.

:yawn: about Nadal complaints.

And the Rodionova post: :spit:

Some other tics or little habits:

Schiavone -- grunting a second or two after she hits the ball.

Szavay -- smiling.

One time I heard Martina Navratilova do an exact play-by-play of Maria Sharapova's service routine as part of her match commentary. At Roland Garros this year.

Sean.
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:13 AM

:haha: So true though!

Chunchun
Jul 16th, 2008, 01:14 AM
:worship::worship::worship:

So glad you went through the trouble of breaking down the many elements of Mary's "rebabe-ing" routine.

:yawn: about Nadal complaints.

And the Rodionova post: :spit:

Some other tics or little habits:

Szavay -- smiling.

One time I heard Martina Navratilova do an exact play-by-play of Maria Sharapova's service routine as part of her match commentary. At Roland Garros this year.

:yawn: :o about Nadal's ass kisser

hankqq
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Great posts guys :lol: It's funny how accustomed we all get to seeing our faves/least faves acting like weirdos out there :rolls:

Did Capriati do anything?

Hingis? I know she let loose a lot with her huge grins, but other than that?

Kournikova?

Vaidisova?

Hantuchova-besides the back-turning thing?