PDA

View Full Version : Sears: to take over Eleven??

V's a star
Jul 14th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Sears Holdings Corp. has reportedly named Craig M. Israel to a newly created job as president of its apparel division, according to a report in Monday's Women's Wear Daily magazine.

Israel will have his hands full as Sears, based in Hoffman Estates, has been burdened by too-large inventories of clothes and resulting markdowns that have pulled down its financial results.

Israel will report to Bruce Johnson, interim Sears CEO. He will oversee clothing and accessories for men's, women's and children's, according to the WWD report.

Sears has set up shops featuring Lands' End clothing, and recently launched a line of young men and girls' casual clothes with rapper LL Cool J.

The retailer also has been reported to be in talks with Steve & Barry's, the low-cost retail chain that has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, to take over licenses with celebrities such as the clothing line "Bitten" by Sarah Jessica Parker and "Eleven" by Venus Williams.

Most of its better-known fashion labels — Bitten, Dear by Amanda Bynes and Eleven by Venus Williams, as well as a group of TV-related brands from CBS Consumer Products — are believed to be licensed to it, rather than wholly owned. The status of these labels in a sale or liquidation is uncertain.

So sad but Vee will get sumthing better

Uranium
Jul 14th, 2008, 04:53 PM
:bounce:, glad to see EleVen is wanted so quickly.

Just Do It
Jul 14th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Hmmm is then that good or bad for venus ? I'm not sure, but it looks like Venus expected eleVen to do better ?

In The Zone
Jul 14th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Like darrinbaker has expressed, Venus needs to get some internet exposure in order for the line to be truly successful.

If she moves to Sears, she'll get that ecommerce.

Good to hear.

darrinbaker00
Jul 14th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Hmmm is then that good or bad for venus ? I'm not sure, but it looks like Venus expected eleVen to do better ?
The problem is that if you want to buy EleVen merchandise today, you would have to physically walk into a Steve & Barry's store, of which there are only 276 in the United States (and 11 of the 50 states don't have one at all); if you live outside of the U.S., you're out of luck. With Sears, anyone on the planet with Internet access could buy EleVen. Personally, I think Venus should do whatever it takes to get her tennis-specific clothing and shoes into Tennis Warehouse, because I know a lot of people who buy online from them.

Slutiana
Jul 14th, 2008, 08:21 PM
The problem is that if you want to buy EleVen merchandise today, you would have to physically walk into a Steve & Barry's store, of which there are only 276 in the United States (and 11 of the 50 states don't have one at all); if you live outside of the U.S., you're out of luck. With Sears, anyone on the planet with Internet access could buy EleVen. Personally, I think Venus should do whatever it takes to get her tennis-specific clothing and shoes into Tennis Warehouse, because I know a lot of people who buy online from them.
Couldn't have said it any better myself.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 14th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Marketing wise, you really couldn't ask for Eleven to be in better shape. It's creator and largest proponent just won Wimby and now, with the whole chapter 11 thing with Steve and Barry's, it's receiving a slew of free publicity. The fact that Vee just won Wimby sort of helps people associate "Eleven" as being a sucessful winner despite Steve & Barry going under.

Vee comes out a winner in this and actually better positioned to for more lucrative offers. :yeah:

court70
Jul 14th, 2008, 09:18 PM

EleVen has done very well financially. I heard it will be sold on line OR QVC not sure which one.

RVD
Jul 14th, 2008, 09:29 PM
The problem is that if you want to buy EleVen merchandise today, you would have to physically walk into a Steve & Barry's store, of which there are only 276 in the United States (and 11 of the 50 states don't have one at all); if you live outside of the U.S., you're out of luck. With Sears, anyone on the planet with Internet access could buy EleVen. Personally, I think Venus should do whatever it takes to get her tennis-specific clothing and shoes into Tennis Warehouse, because I know a lot of people who buy online from them.Nicely put darrin. http://deephousepage.com/smilies/grinyes.gif
Is Marketing your forte ? :cool:

drake3781
Jul 14th, 2008, 09:50 PM

The problem is that a licensing agreement is usually exclusive; she would probably need to go exclusive with TW (if they were interested), which would leave a lot of items out in the cold, or come up with a different line of tennis-only gear for TW, and even that may make it harder for her to market the Eleven line.

southpaw58
Jul 14th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Her line could easily be marketed as an athletic line as well. haha that's obvious though. So sears is good, cause a lot of families who can't afford the high end name brands they can easily access athletic clothing.

Dawn Marie
Jul 15th, 2008, 12:21 AM
SEARS is known for their name alone. So involvement with them is a great deal.

SV_Fan
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:02 AM
This is bitter sweet

Slutiana
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:12 AM
I keep on thinking the title says "Serena to take over EleVen??" :lol: :sobbing:

Tennisation
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:33 AM
who goes shopping at Sears? They have trouble staying in business themself:tape:

darrinbaker00
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:52 AM
The problem is that a licensing agreement is usually exclusive; she would probably need to go exclusive with TW (if they were interested), which would leave a lot of items out in the cold, or come up with a different line of tennis-only gear for TW, and even that may make it harder for her to market the Eleven line.
Is Nike exclusive with Tennis Warehouse? Adidas? Any of the racquet manufacturers? Of course not. Besides, I would think TW would love to carry the clothing line of a five-time (and reigning) Wimbledon champion, but that's just me. ;)

Albireo
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:54 AM
I wondered what Nigel had got up to.

\wait...what?

backslapu
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Venus can do better tha Sears. How 'bout Macy's??? or Wal-mart or Target??

darrinbaker00
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I wondered what Nigel had got up to.

\wait...what?
You do realize, of course, that I'll be the only person outside of England who gets that. ;)

darrinbaker00
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Venus can do better tha Sears. How 'bout Macy's??? or Wal-mart or Target??
I seriously doubt Steve & Barry's was Venus' first option, my friend. ;)

drake3781
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Is Nike exclusive with Tennis Warehouse? Adidas? Any of the racquet manufacturers? Of course not. Besides, I would think TW would love to carry the clothing line of a five-time (and reigning) Wimbledon champion, but that's just me. ;)

OK, you are right, you are comparing apples to apples, and I don't know what I'm talking about, just shut me up and believe in your own thinking. :shrug:

darrinbaker00
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:19 AM
OK, you are right, you are comparing apples to apples, and I don't know what I'm talking about, just shut me up and believe in your own thinking. :shrug:
It's not about that, my friend. I'm merely voicing my opinion. ;)

beecharmer
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Well i was right

beecharmer
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:15 AM
so fuck them who said i was wrong

davidmario
Aug 4th, 2008, 04:54 PM
You do realize, of course, that I'll be the only person outside of England who gets that. ;)

wrong.

so when will sears take over Eleven? We in Germany want to buy Vee's stuff as well and ebay doesn't have a lot of it:sad:

tonybotz
Aug 4th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Target would be huge for her. but Sears has been around forever and is a great distributor. The economy in the states is a bit of a mess right now, with the cost of everything seemingly increasing every day. I applaud Venus for making an AFFORDABLE product which is perfect for Sears.