PDA

View Full Version : Patty Schnyder- Amber Liu hype and attack on Maria

spiritedenergy
Jul 14th, 2008, 12:10 AM
BoMbSHeLl!!!!1

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/13/SPRC11OE0K.DTL

Of all the unknowns at this week's Bank of the West Classic in Stanford, there is one statement behind which any odds-makers would stand: Patty Schnyder will not be the fan-favorite in her opening-round match.

Schnyder, the world's No. 13 player, drew Amber Liu, a Stanford alumna who will be playing on her home court at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.

That match could end up being one of the most competitive in the opening round, overshadowing concerns surrounding No. 1 seed Serena Williams, who has withdrawn three out of the last five years, and Lindsay Davenport, who might not be healthy enough to play.

Liu won two singles crowns and a doubles title at Stanford, but the expected one-sidedness of the cheering is a little unfair. Schnyder is also a player who can find a link with most anyone in the local crowd.

Schnyder, 29, has risen as high as No. 7 in the world, has reached the quarterfinals of four Grand Slam events and advanced to the semis of the 2004 Australian Open. She has more than $7 million in career earnings with 10 WTA singles titles that date back past being named Most Improved Player a decade ago.

Aside from the sheer numbers, the fact that Schnyder has been significant for more than a decade on the tour defined most often by teenagers is noteworthy.

"I work out a lot, but work out smart," Schnyder said. "When I schedule my year, I look to play a lot. I am healthy, so I play a lot. But I also have my break, with my time at home."

It's unclear when that break actually happens. Among the things Schnyder mentioned enjoying about the Stanford tournament, she listed the ease of finding a practice partner first.

"It is for the love of the game," Schnyder said. "Even though I went through some tough years, my motivation was still there. Time passes so quickly, and it does not feel like I have been around for that many years."

Schnyder has a variety of interests that have drawn praise as well as venom. She is a great piano player, knows a handful of languages, drives a speedboat and, in any other spare time, writes and reads.

It was in 1999 - sometime in between being named most improved and reaching No. 7 in the world - that her array of interests caught the most attention. That's when Schnyder employed and possibly dated Rainer Harnecker, who, among other untraditional teaching methods, proclaimed that she should drink nothing but orange juice.

That controversial relationship with Harnecker, a German faith healer, cost Schnyder a spot on Switzerland's Federation Cup team and contributed to an estrangement from her family. It was six years between her most-improved award and her best Grand Slam finish, but she still isn't interested in addressing 1999 nearly a decade later.

Asked about the sniping surrounding Maria Sharapova's most-recent outfit, however, Schnyder gave some insight on her overall feel.

"I'm glad I have other interests," she said. "That may be good for the game, but I find other things more important."

Atomic
Jul 14th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I would hardly call that an attack :rolleyes:

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2008, 12:13 AM
How is that an attack on Maria? Not everyone thinks sitting thru fashion shows is great entertainment.

spiritedenergy
Jul 14th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I would hardly call that an attack :rolleyes:

You're right, it's more of a dig.

Marionated
Jul 14th, 2008, 12:15 AM
:rolleyes: How is she attacking Maria?

Atomic
Jul 14th, 2008, 12:17 AM

I think you're trying to hard to see something that's not there. Patty simply stated that she herself was not interested in that sort of thing, she didn't mention Maria at all.

Dan23
Jul 14th, 2008, 12:20 AM
:spit:

spiritedenergy
Jul 14th, 2008, 12:24 AM
wow I didn't know Patty was so crafty and her husband was a "German faith healer"... Which faith? He doesn't look like a priest at all (see Hantuchova incident):tape:

iPatty
Jul 14th, 2008, 12:27 AM
wow I didn't know Patty was so crafty and her husband was a "German faith healer"... Which faith? He doesn't look like a priest at all (see Hantuchova incident):tape:

You are so clueless. Not even going to waste my time with this fool.

Sassy-Na
Jul 14th, 2008, 12:28 AM
poor maria? :shrug:

roastie
Jul 14th, 2008, 12:31 AM

Similar to what you are doing I feel :o

slamchamp
Jul 14th, 2008, 01:08 AM
poor maria must be devastated:sad:

spiritedenergy
Jul 14th, 2008, 02:38 AM
You are so clueless. Not even going to waste my time with this fool.

why are you posting in this thread then? Non need for attention whores.

drake3781
Jul 14th, 2008, 03:15 AM
It's a dig. Patty didn't proactively dig on Maria, though, it just came out when somebody brought her up. Add her to a long list of players who don't like Maria. :shrug:

I like the image of Patty as "speedboat driver". :p

mal
Jul 14th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Asked about the sniping surrounding Maria Sharapova's most-recent outfit, however, Schnyder gave some insight on her overall feel.

"I'm glad I have other interests," she said. "That may be good for the game, but I find other things more important."

Yes, at least she doesn't expose herself on court. Oh, hang on...:help:

SOA_MC
Jul 14th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Yes, at least she doesn't expose herself on court. Oh, hang on...:help:

Mal come back to the interesting pics thread:awww:

mal
Jul 14th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Mal come back to the interesting pics thread:awww:No how!!!!! you can do it, you know how I think.

SOA_MC
Jul 14th, 2008, 04:37 AM
No how!!!!! you can do it, you know how I think.

Do I?:scratch::confused:

Dawn Marie
Jul 14th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Patty didn't attack?? If anything the article told me how interesting a person Patty is in the real world. She plays the Piano,speaks many languages and drives a speedboat. This is awsome. She comes off as the CREATIVE TYPE. I still think this kid can win the FO one day. If only she would stay mentally focused through a match.

tenn_ace
Jul 14th, 2008, 06:33 AM
wastedenergy made fool of himself. again.

Хлоэ
Jul 14th, 2008, 07:48 AM
:haha: aww poor ivanovic tard :hug: if it is an attack.. :spit:

*Jool*
Jul 14th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I'd be sooo pissed off if I were a player and being asked about Maria Sharapova 's dresses in interviews :tape:

slamchamp
Jul 14th, 2008, 02:35 PM
stupideretardery's need for attention is too obvious in this thread

Adal
Jul 14th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Did I miss something? Where was the attack?

Mikey B
Jul 14th, 2008, 02:50 PM
wow i hope this doesnt affect maria too much next time they play, i mean this attack could really make it difficult for her to focus!

Slutiana
Jul 14th, 2008, 03:15 PM
You idiot, they're talking about the husband in 1999 who used to make her drink orange juice and put needles into her in her practise sessions and stuff like that. They're divorced now. He was the one who got her really fat. Shows how much of a tennis fan you are, it's a well documented story.

switz
Jul 14th, 2008, 03:39 PM
You idiot, they're talking about the husband in 1999 who used to make her drink orange juice and put needles into her in her practise sessions and stuff like that. They're divorced now. He was the one who got her really fat. Shows how much of a tennis fan you are, it's a well documented story.

they were never actually married or even officially a couple. i'm sure he was sleeping with her but it only lasted a few months in the end. Although it didn't get much better with the current rainer :o

LCS
Jul 14th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Attention seeker! :spit:

-Sonic-
Jul 14th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Lets try not to bait people with sensationalist thread titles that don't have any substance.

spiritedenergy
Jul 14th, 2008, 11:10 PM

smartass, I actually realized that after writing my post but didn't bother to change it. I remember of this controversy but I didn't remember the story well.

I'm glad she's out of that.

cheo23
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:15 AM
smartass, I actually realized that after writing my post but didn't bother to change it. I remember of this controversy but I didn't remember the story well.

I'm glad she's out of that.

Hi Spirited!!:wavey Just ignnore These stupid people :hug:

spiritedenergy
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Hi Spirited!!:wavey Just ignnore These stupid people :hug:

I know:hug:. Especially overratowhatever who spent days moaning about his/her (its?) insulting nickname :weirdo:

kwilliams
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:19 PM
That was absolutely nothing.