PDA

View Full Version : Eurosport poor coverage of USA events

doujyr
Jul 13th, 2008, 10:46 PM
This has been really poor this year. Very few matches from IW or Miami, very few from the green clay events. Much worse coverage than in previous years.

Live coverage from Stanford and Los Angeles looks to be almost nil.

What's going on? Is there some problem with them showing these events, some problem getting the rights? Or are they simply choosing not to show them?

If they are just choosing not to show them then why the fuck buy the exclusive rights? Let someone else have the chance to show them.

:mad:

serenus_2k8
Jul 13th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Are they showing any matches this week or next??

Martina2
Jul 13th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Looks like they have taped showings of the stanford 1/2 finals and finals on Saturday and Sunday, both at 23:00 BST. Thats pretty much their usual coverage for Stanford.

doujyr
Jul 13th, 2008, 10:59 PM
They showed the Stanford final live last year, and one of the sf's live by accident because it ran late.

Nothing live scheduled on the ES UK website for Los Angeles.

Corswandt
Jul 13th, 2008, 11:03 PM
It has been, and apparently will continue to be, a bit worse than in previous years, but not by much. It's merely gone from "shite" to "almost nonexistent".

Marionated
Jul 13th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Doesn't appear to be any coverage next week but they can cover the Atp Newport tournament :mad:

johnoo
Jul 13th, 2008, 11:39 PM
well at least rogers cup coverage looks good.
Mon 28 Jul 18:00 Day 1 WTA Rogers Cup British Eurosport (18:00-19:45)
British Eurosport 2 (19:45-21:15)
Tue 29 Jul 16:00 Day 2 WTA Rogers Cup British Eurosport (16:00-17:00, 17:15-17:45)
British Eurosport 2 (18:00-21:00)
Wed 30 Jul 16:00 Day 3 WTA Rogers Cup British Eurosport (16:00-17:00, 17:15-17:45)
British Eurosport 2 (18:00-21:00)
Thu 31 Jul 18:15 Round of 16 WTA Rogers Cup British Eurosport (18:15-19:45)
British Eurosport 2 (19:45-21:30)
Fri 01 Aug 18:00 Quarter-finals WTA Rogers Cup British Eurosport 2 (18:00-21:00)
Sat 02 Aug 20:00 Semi-final WTA The Rogers Cup British Eurosport (20:00-22:00)
Sun 03 Aug 18:45 Final WTA The Rogers Cup British Eurosport (18:45-20:30)

BTW keep checking this site for live wta tennis
http://www.livesportontv.com/search3.php?id=9

doujyr
Jul 14th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Yeah i noticed the Rogers Cup was covered well. Hence the question whether it's a USA thing? But they did cover Amelia Island quite well iirc.

Noticed that one of the LA sf's on 26th is scheduled as live on the livesportontv website, but not on the ES website! :lol:

fnc
Jul 14th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I agree it can be sometimes annoying to see the way Eurosport covers WTA tennis, but at least they're showing it! I highly doubt any of the stations here in Holland will show any WTA tennis if Eurosport were to lose the rights.

In The Zone
Jul 14th, 2008, 12:49 AM
It's unfortunate.

American coverage of European events is just as dreadful.

Livestreaming is what it is all about.

iPatty
Jul 14th, 2008, 01:00 AM
USA coverage of European events is just as bad, probably worse actually.

Dawson.
Jul 14th, 2008, 01:03 AM
they always cover the rogers cup pretty well, and are again doing that this year. but why the hell do they continue to show taped matches? they could show they live throught the night with no commentary (as they did in 2006), seeing as though there is nothing on eurosport at that time other than tv shop :mad:

roastie
Jul 14th, 2008, 01:10 AM
they could show they live throught the night with no commentary (as they did in 2006), seeing as though there is nothing on eurosport at that time other than tv shop :mad:

Hmm yes, I'm wondering why they stopped that. I read that it was very popular especially the no commentary part. Why stop it then? :confused:

ASP0315
Jul 14th, 2008, 02:20 AM
wel atleast you guys are getting a lot of 70% wta events worldwide coverage on eurosport. be happy with that.
Here in the US we only get 20% of wta events that too they mostly show semifinals and finals.(with the excepton of few Tier I events like miami, IW etc

doujyr
Jul 14th, 2008, 09:23 AM
That's true, ASP0315, but it misses the point of my post, which is why has coverage of the USA events by Eurosport deteriorated? It was better in previous years, I'm sure. Is it due to Eurosport deciding not to show the matches? Or the host broadcaster not showing them? Or a problem buying the rightsto show them.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 14th, 2008, 09:40 AM
EUROsport ;)
Of course they'll focus more on European sports than those in the USA.;)

mckyle.
Jul 14th, 2008, 09:41 AM
It's unfortunate.

American coverage of European events is just as dreadful.

Livestreaming is what it is all about.

USA coverage of European events is just as bad, probably worse actually.

Agree with both. Unless you're one of the 1,000 people that has The Tennis Channel, you don't get to see any of the European clay season (except for the French Open, which is taped coverage, unless you have TTC).

Mileen
Jul 14th, 2008, 09:45 AM
In 2005 it was supurb, they showed everything! Every week from the QF's. Miami and IW from 2nd round and GSs from 1st round of course. In 2006 it became worse, but understandable to pay attention to other sports more. In 2007 it became even more worse. But now, in 2008 :help: :help: :help:. They didn't show any Wimbledon this year, even no live final, and by my knowlegde even no final at all (in the teletext tv schedual there was NO TENNIS at all!!!)! What's going on indeed :o :weirdo: :tape:. I was asking the same question :confused: : willfull or no tennis rights? But in the end, both stupid for a sports channel.

doujyr
Jul 14th, 2008, 09:45 AM
EUROsport ;)
Of course they'll focus more on European sports than those in the USA.;)

Again that misses the point. They have covered USA events more in the past. So why has this changed?

ce
Jul 14th, 2008, 10:07 AM
:o

fnc
Jul 14th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Eurosport International hasn't had the rights to show Wimbledon for years now. Eurosport doesn't only show tennis, you can go to any forum of other sports they show and find similar threads about poor coverage. They could do more with Eurosport2. For next year Eurosport has last the MotoGP coverage rights, so who knows what chances that'll offer for WTA tennis.

mal
Jul 14th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Eurosport International hasn't had the rights to show Wimbledon for years now. Eurosport doesn't only show tennis, you can go to any forum of other sports they show and find similar threads about poor coverage. They could do more with Eurosport2. For next year Eurosport has last the MotoGP coverage rights, so who knows what chances that'll offer for WTA tennis.

And don't forget that Television oNe (TVNZ) has the rights to "free to air" a lot of sports too, such as rugby, netball, formula one, cricket and also the ASB tennis classic (Formerly the Rothman's or Benson & Hedges tennis.. because tehy have advertisers on their channel, and also their own "outside broadcast unit" television cameras.

*Jean*
Jul 14th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Well, Eurosport has just a very bad tennis coverage in 2008 compared to the previous couple of seasons!

trucul
Jul 14th, 2008, 01:10 PM
At least, we have the finals of the US tournaments on Eurosport 2.

serenus_2k8
Jul 14th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Oh Im happy to see that Rogers Cup will be televised! :woohoo:

Thanks for posting that :)

Still, perhaps it is worth getting some good live stream links for the events this week and next, if anybody has some, please post :D

ViennaCalling
Jul 14th, 2008, 02:05 PM
In 2005 it was supurb, they showed everything! Every week from the QF's. Miami and IW from 2nd round and GSs from 1st round of course. In 2006 it became worse, but understandable to pay attention to other sports more. In 2007 it became even more worse. But now, in 2008 :help: :help: :help:. They didn't show any Wimbledon this year, even no live final, and by my knowlegde even no final at all (in the teletext tv schedual there was NO TENNIS at all!!!)! What's going on indeed :o :weirdo: :tape:. I was asking the same question :confused: : willfull or no tennis rights? But in the end, both stupid for a sports channel.

Uhm ... ES doesnīt show Wimbledon since ages - they donīt have the rights to show it.

Iīm happy with ES, at least they have a pretty good GS coverage and also the Indoor Season is televised for the major part. So stop whining and be happy that there is at least one TV station that shows WTA Tennis regulary.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 14th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I remember a time when Eurosport only showed the Australian Open live from the night session and then highlights from the day session. So at least with the Australian it is now better.

But with other tournaments there is hardly any coverage :( I guess pretty soon Eurosport are just going to have the three slams, YEC and a few Tier I's :(

tommystar
Jul 20th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Did they show the Stanford semi yesterday????
In the programme it was from midnight CET time, but they broadcast some boxing or fighting sport, I think...

.:sk:.
Jul 20th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Did they show the Stanford semi yesterday????
In the programme it was from midnight CET time, but they broadcast some boxing or fighting sport, I think...

No :( I think the plan was to show Serena-Wozniak but they didn't finish so they maybe thought it's not worth to show it...

Corswandt
Jul 20th, 2008, 11:35 AM
No :( I think the plan was to show Serena-Wozniak but they didn't finish so they maybe thought it's not worth to show it...

And of course this had to happen in the day I wasn't home to watch the livestream.

Just Do It
Jul 20th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Are theyat least showing US OPEN ?

Dodoboy.
Jul 20th, 2008, 12:08 PM
USO has good livestream right?

Marionated
Jul 20th, 2008, 12:12 PM
USO has good livestream right?

Well it was pretty good last year because sky sports has the multiple choice option.

Jul 20th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Only extended highlights, the rights issue with US coverage.

No live coverage of the USO on Eurosport :confused: :mad:

Corswandt
Jul 20th, 2008, 12:22 PM
No live coverage of the USO on Eurosport :confused: :mad:

British ES only.

International ES/ES in Continental Europe will have live coverage. But last year IIRC it only started 1:00 or 1:30 after play had begun.

Dodoboy.
Jul 20th, 2008, 12:24 PM
nooo!

I don't have Sky Sports 3 :sobbing:

Jul 20th, 2008, 12:28 PM
British ES only.

International ES/ES in Continental Europe will have live coverage. But last year IIRC it only started 1:00 or 1:30 after play had begun.

OK, thanks. I'm relieved to hear that....

Dodoboy.
Jul 20th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Do what a few of us do at USO time.

Take out a temporary 1-month Sky Sports subscription ;)

I might do that.

How would i go about doing that though?

Viktymise
Jul 20th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I thought British ES had the rights to show 1 of the main courts during the 1st week of the USO. That's what happened last year anyway.

Jorn
Jul 20th, 2008, 01:42 PM
In my TV Guide it said ES would show the SEMI last night, but nothing on.

I hope they tonight show the Finals!

Elisse
Jul 20th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Yep, German Eurosport also had the Serena match listed down for last night at 00:00 but they removed it from the listings and put on boxing instead :rolleyes:

At the moment they have the final listed down..but who knows if we will actually get to see it :help:

adam_ads_n
Jul 20th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Great that final will be broadcasted live tonight... :)

johnoo
Jul 20th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Call Virgin Media.
Make a request to have Sky Sports added to your TV package (you will have to take out SS 1, 2 & 3).
Additional channels have to kept for 1 month minimum. If you don't want to keep Sky Sports (I only have it for USO) call them again and cancel the channels.
Be aware you have no interactive with virgin media,thats a sky exclusive.Thats means only main screen coverage or for the duration of the USO "the andy murray channel".

johnoo
Jul 20th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I thought British ES had the rights to show 1 of the main courts during the 1st week of the USO. That's what happened last year anyway.
British eurosport will show first week coverage,no night matches though,from 17:00-00:30,no live coverage the second week.

Viktymise
Jul 20th, 2008, 04:45 PM
British eurosport will show first week coverage,no night matches though,from 17:00-00:30,no live coverage the second week.

Yeah, that's what I thought. That's the way it was last year.

serenus_2k8
Jul 20th, 2008, 04:46 PM

Are you sure ?? I remember I watched Venus v Henin and also Serena v Henin last year?

kinseh
Jul 20th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Can someone please explain the US Open coverage in Europe to me? :confused:

Viktymise
Jul 20th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Are you sure ?? I remember I watched Venus v Henin and also Serena v Henin last year?

I'm pretty sure. I didn't see anything on BES, in the 2nd week last year.

serenus_2k8
Jul 20th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I'm pretty sure. I didn't see anything on BES, in the 2nd week last year.

Well i definitely got to watch both of those matches, though I cant remember if it was live.

Im 100% sure it was on and like 99% sure it was live. I remember watching it with family who were cheering for Henin (I know, sickening) and thats kinda why it rli stood out coz I was soooo hoping a WS would shut them up :mad:

johnoo
Jul 20th, 2008, 07:50 PM

yeah if you have a look here you will notice,as last year,live coverage stops for british eurosport on the monday.
Even though I have sky its not really right that a grand slam's later stages are not shown on free to air tv in britian(well at least the finals),its the only grand slam not shown and you can blame US tennis for that,instead of promoting the sport with the biggest potential tv audience they sell to a very expensive pay to view company with a small tv audience.Anyone know when sky's contract with the USO runs out? I'm not sure if it's 2009 and I remember reading the BBC were interested in taking the coverage,one can only hope.

johnoo
Jul 20th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Can someone please explain the US Open coverage in Europe to me? :confused:
your ok in mainland europe as you will have full coverage, its only british eurosport affected because of the USO contract with sky sports.

Jorn
Jul 20th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Somebody said there was Live coverage tonight on ES, but what ES? International and Nordic will show Live bike racing at 23:00 cet (11pm)

any confirmation if the will show the Finale, even delayed?

Viktymise
Jul 20th, 2008, 08:10 PM
yeah if you have a look here you will notice,as last year,live coverage stops for british eurosport on the monday.
Even though I have sky its not really right that a grand slam's later stages are not shown on free to air tv in britian(well at least the finals),its the only grand slam not shown and you can blame US tennis for that,instead of promoting the sport with the biggest potential tv audience they sell to a very expensive pay to view company with a small tv audience.Anyone know when sky's contract with the USO runs out? I'm not sure if it's 2009 and I remember reading the BBC were interested in taking the coverage,one can only hope.

It is quite annoying. I remember the good old days when BES had the full rights to the USO. Sky Sports is OK, but the commentators suck, except for Sam Smith. They are almost, always biased towards showing ATP over WTA.

One good thing is though, for the peasants like me who don't have interactive, you get a choice to watch two different matches, one ES and one on Sky, for the 1st week at least. Always usefull when Andy Murray is playing. ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 20th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Somebody said there was Live coverage tonight on ES, but what ES? International and Nordic will show Live bike racing at 23:00 cet (11pm)

its only Brit ES i think

Corswandt
Jul 20th, 2008, 08:20 PM

The latest schedule I saw does indeed give some shite with motorcycles being broadcasted from 22:00 GMT to 23:00 GMT, and only then will they show the Stanford final, still labelled as "live".

Match will begin at 22:00 GMT, so if you want to watch it from the beginning you'd better use the sucky livestream.