PDA

View Full Version : Brenda Schultz Mc Carthy to retire this year

spiceboy
Jul 13th, 2008, 06:27 PM
http://www.mcall.com/sports/tennis/all-ten-mecco.6502048jul12,0,7816123.story

For Schultz-McCarthy, score is love-hate

On comeback trail, Dutch player falls at Mecco Cup.

By Adi Joseph | Of The Morning Call July 12, 2008 With her quarterfinal match at the Mecco Cup slipping away Friday, Brenda Schultz-McCarthy screamed in frustration.

''It's so tiring, this sport!'' she screamed to the crowd at Westend Racquet Club in South Whitehall Township.

She would know.

Schultz-McCarthy began her professional career before her opponent, Amanda Fink, had even been born. At age 37, the Dutch woman is the oldest active player on the WTA Tour. After taking years off recovering from a herniated disk -- one so severe doctors told her she would never play again -- the former top-10 player is back on tour with hopes of playing in one last major.

She's had to work her way through the rankings again, from the bottom up. Now in the third year of her comeback, the gangly, 6-2 blonde with hair flapping out of her visor and the world's fastest serve is ranked No. 284 in the world.

And she's turning some heads while she does it.

''It's awesome,'' Mecco Cup semifinalist Milagros Sequera said. ''I really admire that. I wish that, if I'm 37, I could come back and play at the top of women's tennis.''

Schultz-McCarthy lost to Fink 4-6, 6-3, 6-1, but she won over the crowd with her charisma, her Dutch-laden screams and her classic serve-and-volley game set off by a powerful serve.

It's been 14 years since she was a top-10 player. In that time, she's had back surgery and a six-year retirement. Then she launched her improbable comeback amidst doubters.

''Obviously, my husband was saying and my dad was saying, 'Brenda, they hit so hard these days, you don't have a shot!''' she recalled with a grin.

Turns out, she's hitting harder than anyone.

Schultz-McCarthy saw her WTA Tour fastest-serve record fall in 1998, just a year before she retired the first time. But in 2006, she reclaimed her title from Venus Williams (http://www.mcall.com/topic/sports/tennis/venus-williams-PESPT007981.topic) in a Cincinnati tournament with a 130-mph blast.

Fink, who opened the match by dropping the first five games before regaining composure, admitted the difficultly in facing a player such as Schultz-McCarthy.

''It definitely takes a couple games to get used to,'' the USC senior said. ''You don't see a serve like hers everyday.''

The next stop for Schultz-McCarthy is in Mexico City. But retirement is looming. McCarthy, who cannot accept prize money at tournaments after filing for disability years ago, said this will probably be her final year on tour even though her bid at receiving a wild card for Wimbledon last month was rejected.

She and her husband of 14 years, Sean McCarthy, are thinking about settling down and having a child.

On Friday, with her frustration boiling over, she gave some advice to a group of teenage girls in the crowd:

''Don't start this sport -- go swimming or something. That's much better.''

But Schultz-McCarthy sure isn't putting her own racket down quietly.

Today's action features the doubles championship between Carly Gullickson-Nicole Kriz and Chin-Wei Chan-Natalie Grandin at 1 p.m. In the singles semifinals, which begin at 10 a.m., Fink will take on American Lauren Albanese, and Sequera faces Regina Kulikova.

mckyle.
Jul 13th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Love how she's trying to discourage young girls from picking up the sport simply because she's old and sucks :rolleyes:

frenchie
Jul 13th, 2008, 06:33 PM
McCarthy, who cannot accept prize money at tournaments after filing for disability years ago

What does that mean, please?

Elwin.
Jul 13th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Brenda :sad: :worship:
still active on the circuit with an age of 37 and STILL ranked in top 300 is just awesome :bowdown:

Dawson.
Jul 13th, 2008, 06:44 PM
again?

Rtael
Jul 13th, 2008, 07:21 PM
McCarthy, who cannot accept prize money at tournaments after filing for disability years ago

What does that mean, please?

She had some kind of professional athlete's injury insurance, that paid out to her after she got injured and had to retire. Now that she's come back, I think her winnings go to them, since she wasn't supposed to be able to play anymore.

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 13th, 2008, 08:40 PM
She had some kind of professional athlete's injury insurance, that paid out to her after she got injured and had to retire. Now that she's come back, I think her winnings go to them, since she wasn't supposed to be able to play anymore.

Yup, I think that's pretty much it. Hence Brenda's whole three year comeback has been solely based on her love of tennis. Reading this article and some of Brenda's quotes in it, it's kinda hard to believe. :lol:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 13th, 2008, 08:45 PM

Your correct. This is why she can't accept any prize money. It all goes to the insurance company.
Also, i think Brenda is just so frustrated by her results this year. I think if her game picks up over the next month or 2 that she may decide to play up until next years Wimbledon. :bounce:

rrfnpump
Jul 13th, 2008, 09:18 PM
You don't win matches when you slice your FH most of the time and when you don't it lands at the bottom of the net. Sure that must be frustrating. She really just doesnt have it anymore. Why is she still around anyway playing challengers in the US? :o

Serenidad.
Jul 13th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Why did she come out of retirement in the first place. :rolleyes: She was worthless even when she was at her peak tennis age.

spencercarlos
Jul 13th, 2008, 10:45 PM
You don't win matches when you slice your FH most of the time and when you don't it lands at the bottom of the net. Sure that must be frustrating. She really just doesnt have it anymore. Why is she still around anyway playing challengers in the US? :o
Besides her serve, Brenda was NEVER tecnically sound, she had a horrible tecnique on her forehand side, and her backhand was average.
No wonder she made it the most she could with her serve.

baleineau
Jul 13th, 2008, 11:28 PM
interesting to hear about this insurance policy. i bet that is why jen cap hasn't officially retired. she's claiming injury insurance and until she formally retires, she is being kept out of the game through injury and therefore losing money. would be interesting to know if this is a common thing for the players.

slamchamp
Jul 13th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Bombshell!!!!!

Jakeev
Jul 14th, 2008, 01:44 AM
As nice as it has been to see Brenda back the past few years, I really wish she would have played more doubles.

Had she found the right partner, she could have actually paid back her disability probably in prize fund alone had she played in the bigger events instead of the Challengers.

But good for her for giving it a shot. I would say she did pretty well in her comeback.

Mattographer
Jul 14th, 2008, 02:44 AM
LOL! I'm with her! :p Tennis is no fun. I haven't played tennis competition for months. Few weeks ago, I played bowling which I used to play league for 10 years before give up for tennis and found it really enjoyable even if you're bad and still have a good time. I think I'm going back to bowling once again. My highest score was 230.