View Full Version : Venus: 3 of her last 5 titles have been at Wimbledon

tennisIlove09
Jul 13th, 2008, 07:15 PM
2005 Wimbledon
2007 Memphis
2007 Wimbledon
2007 Seoul
2008 Wimbledon

Crazy. Hopefully this year she will pick it up and bring it outside Wimbledon!

Uranium
Jul 13th, 2008, 07:17 PM
so what?

AcesHigh
Jul 13th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I think she has a great shot at USO or a summer hardcourt title.

No Henin
No Kim
No Davenport(in 2004-2005 form)

Those players are gone who had stopped her the last summers she's played. And Serena is a question mark. This could be a really huge summer for Venus. She just needs to step it up.

tennisIlove09
Jul 13th, 2008, 07:24 PM
so what?

It's just crazy how she can step it up there! I love the attitude that she has: no matter what her season is entering into Wimbledon, she knows she can win there.

mckyle.
Jul 13th, 2008, 07:26 PM

No Henin
No Kim

Those players are gone who had stopped her the last summers she's played. And Serena is a question mark. This could be a really huge summer for Venus. She just needs to step it up.

I think Ana, and Jelena as always, will be her main competition at the US Open. Ana because it's about time she has a US Open breakthrough, her game is beauty on hard courts, and Jelena just because they have such a great rivalry.

kwilliams
Jul 13th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Venus' US Open record speaks for itself so I expect her to do very well there as usual...and hopefully she or Serena can go all the way!

AcesHigh
Jul 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I think Ana, and Jelena as always, will be her main competition at the US Open. Ana because it's about time she has a US Open breakthrough, her game is beauty on hard courts, and Jelena just because they have such a great rivalry.

I sorta agree except I think she'll have to watch out for Jelena(mainly), Maria and Serena. Despite her win at AO, Ana's game just does not match up well against Venus at all. If VEnus is playing well, she should continue to win in straight sets against Ivanovic on fast surfaces.

Adal
Jul 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM
She certainly needs a big title on some other surface to prove many (including me) that she can win them not only on grass ;)

The Daviator
Jul 13th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Venus historically loses to most in-form player at the time at the USO -

2007 - Justine
2005 - Kim
2004 - Lindsay
2002 - Serena

So she should do well in NY, she's probably the favourite, unless Serena really shows some hot stuff in the lead-up.

John.
Jul 13th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I think she'll win the USO - Only Serena can stop her

Paneru
Jul 13th, 2008, 08:08 PM
She certainly needs a big title on some other surface to prove many (including me) that she can win them not only on grass ;)

Somehow, I don't think she cares
to prove anything to anyone. ;)

Uranium, I feel you.
So what? :cool:

Kart
Jul 13th, 2008, 08:11 PM
This could be a really huge summer for Venus. She just needs to step it up.
I agree.

The question though is: will she ?

She needs to stay fit as well.

Uranium
Jul 13th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Somehow, I don't think she cares
to prove anything to anyone. ;)

Uranium, I feel you.
So what? :cool:

exactly does it matter?
She is still in the top 10 and still winning majors, does it matter if it's only at one slam...NO. Rock on Vee:rocker:

RenaSlam.
Jul 13th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Most players would die for a statistic like this.

It really doesn't matter to me if Venus doesn't win another title until next year's Wimbledon.

She's won plenty of other titles in her career.

Why not just Wimbledon once a year? Not too shabby.

Miss Amor
Jul 13th, 2008, 08:25 PM
she is winning the most prestigious tennis title without dropping a set...she doesnt need to prove anything else.

moon
Jul 13th, 2008, 08:38 PM

It really doesn't matter to me if Venus doesn't win another title until next year's Wimbledon.

completely agree. anything, from now to next year is icing on the cake. :)

venus_rulez
Jul 13th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I think it's amazing that she seems to be able to raise her level pretty much on command at Wimbledon. But yeah, there isn't a player who wouldn't kill for that stat.

vwfan
Jul 13th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I am always greedy for Venus. I want her to win every tournament she enters. But I am delighted and thankful that she consistently delivers at Wimbledon year after year.

However, the fact that she won Wimbldeon by beating lil sis should be a real confidence boost. Let's hope her health and fitness permits her to honor her schedule fully fit and healthy. Then, watch out!

Dave.
Jul 13th, 2008, 11:27 PM
If you're only winning 1 title a year, the best place to do that is at a Grand Slam. Venus has done well during the hardcourt season in the past and I think she can get a title if she keeps in her Wimbledon form. But there's no doubt grass is her best surface.

Anyway, winning titles isn't the only sign of success. Her US Open semi still counts as a good tournament where she played well and beat a top player in Jankovic. She beat Zvonareva in Bangalore to make the semis there, and reached the quarters of the Australian, Miami and Rome. So it's not like Wimbledon is the only place she is doing well at.

Infiniti2001
Jul 13th, 2008, 11:32 PM
If you're only winning 1 title a year, the best place to do that is at a Grand Slam. Venus has done well during the hardcourt season in the past and I think she can get a title if she keeps in her Wimbledon form. But there's no doubt grass is her best surface.

Anyway, winning titles isn't the only sign of success. Her US Open semi still counts as a good tournament where she played well and beat a top player in Jankovic. She beat Zvonareva in Bangalore to make the semis there, and reached the quarters of the Australian, Miami and Rome. So it's not like Wimbledon is the only place she is doing well at.

:yeah:

-VSR-
Jul 13th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Venus beat Ivanovic and Jankovic back to back at the US Open last year. Both her 'main rivals' at this upcoming slam. With Henin gone and Venus seemingly controlling the anemia problem, I see great things for the future of Venus. :)

Mikey B
Jul 13th, 2008, 11:36 PM
most players would love 3 out the last 5 titles to be wimbledon titles!! are there any other players that have 3 grandslams out of their last 5 titles? or even 3 grandslams! dont think so..

i think this summer will be about the olympics, 3 players can win there, gold/silver/bronze, obviously everyone wants gold but i think that the olympics will set up the us open based on who wins what, and who beats who...

Paneru
Jul 13th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Venus 2002-2003.(5-Time Slam Finalist, 8 Tier II titles)
Venus 2007-2008.(2-Time Slam Champion, 2 Tier III titles)

Which would you choose?

I'd take the latter with two Slam titles any day!

vw.
Jul 14th, 2008, 02:14 AM

Which would you choose?

Absolutely.

tennnisfannn
Jul 14th, 2008, 01:06 PM
most players would love 3 out the last 5 titles to be wimbledon titles!! are there any other players that have 3 grandslams out of their last 5 titles? or even 3 grandslams! dont think so..

i think this summer will be about the olympics, 3 players can win there, gold/silver/bronze, obviously everyone wants gold but i think that the olympics will set up the us open based on who wins what, and who beats who...
between 01/02 Capriati had 3 out of titles as slams, that was incredible. I very nearly stated a similar thread drawing that comparison. Venus is doing well in that same time period,maria has few more titles but only 2 slams, serena only two slams, only justine won more slams than her in that time period.

Chance
Jul 14th, 2008, 01:43 PM

Which would you choose?

that puts things into perspective...

Ceri
Jul 14th, 2008, 02:20 PM

I agree, although for what it'd worth I really dont think the original poster set out to create a Venus-bashing thread. She does have a good chance at the USO, she's won in the past. Vee clearly chastises herself for early losses in slams [the thing she mentioned in an interview about flying back economy at the french for example] so it's natural that her fans should hope for the best at and outside the green lawns of SW19.

calabar
Jul 14th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Shame on you Venus Williams. All you've got to show for your lousy career is a mere 7 slam titles. If it weren't for the grass at Wimbledon (with its lucky bounce) you would be further reduced to a paltry 2 slams. What a waste. No wonder you've become the poster girl for under achievement in women's tennis.
I just hope for your sake you start to emulate the success of say.....Dementieva (and her match-fixing theories), a well rounded symbol of success on ALL surfaces.

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 14th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Which would you choose?

I'd take the latter as well. But I have got to say the former is probably a better indicator of consistantly outstanding form. Then again who cares about consistantly outstanding form when you can just turn it on big time for two weeks every year and walk off with the game's biggest title. :)

Paneru
Jul 14th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I'd take the latter as well. But I have got to say the former is probably a better indicator of consistantly outstanding form. Then again who cares about consistantly outstanding form when you can just turn it on big time for two weeks every year and walk off with the game's biggest title. :)

Yeah, because at the end of the day no one cares
that Venus was "consistent". They just remember
that she lost to Serena in 5 straight Slam meetings.

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 14th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I do agree with all the posters who say Venus should have an excellent chance to win the US Open this year though. She doesn't always play well at the Australian or Roland Garros but she always plays well at the US Open. The caliber of players who have beaten Venus at the US Open have been inevitably very high. If Venus doesn't win the US Open this year it is going to take an outstanding performance by a great player to beat her.

Dodoboy.
Jul 14th, 2008, 06:08 PM

Which would you choose?

Very interesting take!

I would take the later obviously. Wimbledon beats almost all titles out there outright and arguably the other 3 slams.

Dodoboy.
Jul 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM
It's not like she is a bad hard-court player.

Arguably last year she was the second-best at USO. Screw that (sorry Sveta fans) she WAS second best in USO last year. She has the most impressive record of most active players.

Geisha
Jul 14th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Venus historically loses to most in-form player at the time at the USO -

2007 - Justine
2005 - Kim
2004 - Lindsay
2002 - Serena

So she should do well in NY, she's probably the favourite, unless Serena really shows some hot stuff in the lead-up.

I don't know if this makes sense, but a lot of these players are considered "in-form" because they DO beat Venus. Davenport barely won in Stanford in '04 and was down 0-5 in the first set before Venus got injured in San Diego. Then, she has Myskina in the finals - duh, she's going to win.

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 14th, 2008, 06:50 PM
astounding. just shows you she is terribly inconsistent. but the Wimbledon trohphies are amazing. she needs to step it up.

tennnisfannn
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Yeah, because at the end of the day no one cares
that Venus was "consistent". They just remember
that she lost to Serena in 5 straight Slam meetings.
damn, i could have sworn it wwas the 7 slams that she would be remembered for. Often times when Kim is mentioned it is that she won the USO, not that she lost 3 slam finals to justine.

Tennisstar86
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:12 AM
I don't know if this makes sense, but a lot of these players are considered "in-form" because they DO beat Venus. Davenport barely won in Stanford in '04 and was down 0-5 in the first set before Venus got injured in San Diego. Then, she has Myskina in the finals - duh, she's going to win.

not really... In 04 everyone expected Davenport to win the Open... not venus who was coming off her worst Wimbledon in awhile....

In 05 Clijsters won the first ever us open Series...
In 07 Henin was 07 form Henin.....

But anyways... last year before Serena lost i was saying how Venus needed to beat Serena in the Wimbledon final to get the confidence back that she lost when she lost 5 straight finals to her.... now that Venus finally beat her, I think that not only the hard court season could be good for her but 09 could be the best start of the year for her since 02.....

The fact that Venus has never lost to anyone outside the top 4 at the Us Open is also telling to me, because of the players currently in the top 4 the only one i see beating her this year is Jankovic... so unless Serena gets her ranking up...... Venus could finally get that big win away from grass so everyone can change the subject to "yeah thats great Venus....but now can you when on clay...."

Geisha
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:31 AM
In 2004, people expected to win the US Open because of the lead up tournaments. In those tournaments, I didn't really find her all that impressive. Yes, she won three in a row, but she was close to losing to Venus once, and she beat Venus with a retirement the second time. Her only good win, in my opinion, was Serena. Then, she became the favourite.

Clijsters beat Venus and became the favourite.

not really... In 04 everyone expected Davenport to win the Open... not venus who was coming off her worst Wimbledon in awhile....

But anyways... last year before Serena lost i was saying how Venus needed to beat Serena in the Wimbledon final to get the confidence back that she lost when she lost 5 straight finals to her.... now that Venus finally beat her, I think that not only the hard court season could be good for her but 09 could be the best start of the year for her since 02.....

The fact that Venus has never lost to anyone outside the top 4 at the Us Open is also telling to me, because of the players currently in the top 4 the only one i see beating her this year is Jankovic... so unless Serena gets her ranking up...... Venus could finally get that big win away from grass so everyone can change the subject to "yeah thats great Venus....but now can you when on clay...."

Geisha
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:33 AM

:worship:

darrinbaker00
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:39 AM

Which would you choose?

I'd take whichever scenario put more money in my pocket. After all, that's what they really play for. ;)

AcesHigh
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:44 AM
In 2004, people expected to win the US Open because of the lead up tournaments. In those tournaments, I didn't really find her all that impressive. Yes, she won three in a row, but she was close to losing to Venus once, and she beat Venus with a retirement the second time. Her only good win, in my opinion, was Serena. Then, she became the favourite.

I think you have a very poor memory. No offense. Davenport should have won Wimbledon IMO.. that choke job against Maria was ridiculous. And after that she had like an 18match winning streak. She won 4 tournaments in a row!!! She had made the IW final earlier that year and won Tokyo. She was a BIG favorite while I don't even know if VEnus beat a top 10 player that year.

In 2005, Kim had athe best hardcourt record on tour with wins at IW, Miami, Stanford, LA and Toronto.

Davenport and Clijsters were ON FIRE. Their form was VERY VERY good, some of the most impressive hardcourt tennis i've seen in years.

Geisha
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:49 AM
I think you have a very poor memory. No offense. Davenport should have won Wimbledon IMO.. that choke job against Maria was ridiculous. And after that she had like an 18match winning streak. She won 4 tournaments in a row!!! She had made the IW final earlier that year and won Tokyo. She was a BIG favorite while I don't even know if VEnus beat a top 10 player that year.

In 2005, Kim had athe best hardcourt record on tour with wins at IW, Miami, Stanford, LA and Toronto.

Davenport and Clijsters were ON FIRE. Their form was VERY VERY good, some of the most impressive hardcourt tennis i've seen in years.

LA and Toronto happened AFTER she beat Venus in Stanford.

Clijsters didn't reach the QFs of the French Open or Wimbledon. Yes, she won Miami and Indian Wells, but she did nothing during the claycourt season. She was obviously one of the best players of the year, but she wasn't the "huge favourite" when she played Venus in Stanford. After that match was when she became the monster favourite...do you get what I'm saying?

Davenport lost to Sharapova in the SF of Wimbledon. 2004 was a crap year before her summer and fall run. Once again, she played lousy against Venus in Stanford and barely won. After that match was when we really took notice. Then, she was about to lose a bagel set to Venus, but Venus retired. Then, she beat Serena and became the huge favourite.

Now, I agree that Davenport and Clijsters were the in-form players when they beat Venus.

AcesHigh
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:41 AM
LA and Toronto happened AFTER she beat Venus in Stanford.

Clijsters didn't reach the QFs of the French Open or Wimbledon. Yes, she won Miami and Indian Wells, but she did nothing during the claycourt season. She was obviously one of the best players of the year, but she wasn't the "huge favourite" when she played Venus in Stanford. After that match was when she became the monster favourite...do you get what I'm saying?

Davenport lost to Sharapova in the SF of Wimbledon. 2004 was a crap year before her summer and fall run. Once again, she played lousy against Venus in Stanford and barely won. After that match was when we really took notice. Then, she was about to lose a bagel set to Venus, but Venus retired. Then, she beat Serena and became the huge favourite.

Now, I agree that Davenport and Clijsters were the in-form players when they beat Venus.

Davenport was not having a crap year. She made quarters AO, won Tokyo(Tier I), made final of IW(Tier I), won Amelia Island(Tier II),made another final and then made the semi's of Wimbledon.

Why would a win over Venus who was playing poorly on hardcourts on '04 make a difference? Maybe in the eyes of Venus fans, but Venus's loss at Wimbledon to Sprem let everyone know that she wasn't the same IMO if they hadn't found already(losses to Rhaymond at AO, Dementieva at Miami, etc.)

Clijsters's wins over Sharapova, Henin and Davenport were much more significant than her win over Venus. Venus was barely in the top 10 while Kim was defeating top 5 players left and right.

Beating Venus has not been a huge feat since 2003. The only significance IMO was for Davenport, it was a mental one b/c before that Stanford match, Venus had beaten her 6 times in a row. She had a distinct mental advantage. Rather Venus was a hurdle to get over.. but no more a hurdle than Elena, Maria or others.

Geisha
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Davenport was not having a crap year. She made quarters AO, won Tokyo(Tier I), made final of IW(Tier I), won Amelia Island(Tier II),made another final and then made the semi's of Wimbledon.

Why would a win over Venus who was playing poorly on hardcourts on '04 make a difference? Maybe in the eyes of Venus fans, but Venus's loss at Wimbledon to Sprem let everyone know that she wasn't the same IMO if they hadn't found already(losses to Rhaymond at AO, Dementieva at Miami, etc.)

Clijsters's wins over Sharapova, Henin and Davenport were much more significant than her win over Venus. Venus was barely in the top 10 while Kim was defeating top 5 players left and right.

Beating Venus has not been a huge feat since 2003. The only significance IMO was for Davenport, it was a mental one b/c before that Stanford match, Venus had beaten her 6 times in a row. She had a distinct mental advantage. Rather Venus was a hurdle to get over.. but no more a hurdle than Elena, Maria or others.

You answered your own question. Proved my point, exactly. :tape:

As for the Clijsters match...Kim had an average claycourt season and didn't get past the R16 at the middle Grand Slams. Venus was the Wimbledon champion. That's why it was a great feat. And, IMO, that's what gave her the confidence the rest of the season.

starin
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:15 AM
:worship: Queen Vee rules Wimbledon and Tier III's.

This is the 2nd time in Venus' career that her first title of the year was a slam and Wimbledon no less.

AcesHigh
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:29 AM
You answered your own question. Proved my point, exactly. :tape:

As for the Clijsters match...Kim had an average claycourt season and didn't get past the R16 at the middle Grand Slams. Venus was the Wimbledon champion. That's why it was a great feat. And, IMO, that's what gave her the confidence the rest of the season.

As for Kim, we're talking about HARDCOURTS. But even on grass, she won Eastbourne and lost in the fourth round to Lindsay Davenport who came a point close to winning the title. Nevertheless, we're talking about hardcourts.. HARDCOURTS

Sorry, but I'm really trying to emphasize that because Venus hadnt won a hardcourt title since 2002!! :tape: And she STILL hasn't won a Tier II or above since 2002 on hardcourts. Kim had a 49-4 record on hardcourts.. she had already won the IW-Miami double.. a RARE feat. I'm sure she didnt need a win over a struggling VEnus for confidence.

I don't really think Davenport's win gave her much of a boost either since her play was the same throughout that summer and didnt help in her confidence against Kuznetsova.

beecharmer
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:48 AM
The truth is, if Henin wasn't back then Venus would have won it.; and now she WILL win it

StephenUK
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:56 AM
This is a bit of a puzzle, but what can we say, Venus has now won 3 of the last 4 Wimbledons so it is certainly working.

Clearly, Venus has never regained the brilliance of her earlier career on hard courts since the 2003 injury period, but on the other hand, she has been able to regain the dominance at Wimbledon that she lost to her sister in 2002-3.

I sometimes think that this is all linked together. Venus has now been at the top of the game for over a decade and is still winning Wimbledon. Unlike players like Henin and Clijsters who have burned themselves out trying to be dominant all year, it is as though Venus plays on a lower gear for much of the year and only really hits top gear at the second week of Wimbledon. This may have been what has preserved her at the top of the game for so long. Venus is experienced enough to know what works for her, how much time and energy she wants to devote to minor tournament play as opposed to her other interests; I think that she likes to stay fresh by playing and winning fewer lesser tournaments.

I agree with other posters that Venus has never really excelled at the Australian or French Opens so it would seem that the US is her next best shot. This year I would say that she has the best chance in years to add to her tally there. Partly this is because the competition has decreased; Venus can also build on her excellent performance last year; the main thing is that she needs to stay uninjured over the summer, something which has dogged her US Open campaign in several previous seasons.

Now that Justine has retired as French Open virtually guaranteed winner, Venus as Wimbledon champion is just about the only safe bet in tennis. The US Open should certainly be exciting as it will be interesting to see whether some of the others can bounce back from their Wimbledon disappointments. I am sure that Serena would quite happily have traded her three other titles this year for Venus's Wimbledon, for instance!

Matt01
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Davenport lost to Sharapova in the SF of Wimbledon. 2004 was a crap year before her summer and fall run. Once again, she played lousy against Venus in Stanford and barely won.

2004 was not a "crap year" for Lindsay before her summer run and no, she didn't play "lousy" against Venus in Stanford :lol:

sweetpeas
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:09 PM
:wavey:she is winning the most prestigious tennis title without dropping a set...she doesnt need to prove anything else.

RIGHT ON!Venus did win 2 u.s. open...hardcourt..Some people will alway"s complain,when it comes to a Williams! Get over it......They"re back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:lol::bounce::wav ey::kiss:

spencercarlos
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:34 PM

Davenport should have beaten Maria but Do you think Davenport was the favorite at Wimbledon over Serena? that is laughable

spencercarlos
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:37 PM

In 2004 Usopen Davenport was the favorite considering the remaining players in the draw. Just like Venus became a favorite at Roland Garros 2004.

In The Zone
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:40 PM
:wavey:she is winning the most prestigious tennis title without dropping a set...she doesnt need to prove anything else.

RIGHT ON!Venus did win 2 u.s. open...hardcourt..Some people will alway"s complain,when it comes to a Williams! Get over it......They"re back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:lol::bounce::wav ey::kiss:

The one thing I hate about this argument, that 3 of Venus' last 5 titles are Wimbledons is that -- so what, her game is best suited for grass. You think if she entered Birmingham and Eastbourne she would still only have 3 of 5 titles being Wimbledon?

Not only is it so shortsighted, it also leaves off the fact that Venus Williams has lost to the best player EVERY YEAR at the US Open. Talk about even more potential titles there. But then, most of her titles would be US Open and Wimbledons. But Memphis and Seoul are more important!!!! Not.

But it's okay if you're a claycourter like Jankovic or Ivanovic and rack up titles that way in Charleston, Rome, Berlin, and Paris.

It's a mere surface. At the end of the day, no one cares how many tour titles you won. If you won Los Angeles, or Montreal, or Rome, or Moscow, it won't matter. What will matter is how many Slams you won. Even if they are all Wimbledons, Venus Williams will go down in the history books as an all-time great.

spencercarlos
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Anyway i don't see why the discussion who was favorite or not at which events overlooking the inevitable fact that Venus is not an all court player and that her game is visibly limited when forced to trade groundstrokes and to play more than 2-4 shots in a point.

Infiniti2001
Jul 15th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Anyway i don't see why the discussion who was favorite or not at which events overlooking the inevitable fact that Venus is not an all court player and that her game is visibly limited when forced to trade groundstrokes and to play more than 2-4 shots in a point.

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/4551/iconblahblahbq9.gif ICE ICE baby http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1851/mjon9.gif

spencercarlos
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:26 PM
http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/4551/iconblahblahbq9.gif ICE ICE baby http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1851/mjon9.gif
Clay Clay Clay Veelose Veelose Veelose
:wavey:

Infiniti2001
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Clay Clay Clay Veelose Veelose Veelose
:wavey:

How old are you ?:lol: You criticize Venus who has won 2 of 4 slams more than once, yet you idolize a one slam wonder from the dinosaur years :help: ICCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

DA FOREHAND
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:34 PM

No Henin
No Kim

I think her chances at the Us Open are great too, but not because the Belgians are gone and Davenpoart is oft injured.

starin
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I think her chances at the Us Open are great too, but not because the Belgians are gone and Davenpoart is oft injured.

what about Sharapova, Serena, Jankovic?
i hear they're all pretty good on hardcourts as well.
Venus has actually never beaten Sharapova on hard courts, but is 2-0 against Jankovic on it.

spencercarlos
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:04 PM
How old are you ?:lol: You criticize Venus who has won 2 of 4 slams more than once, yet you idolize a one slam wonder from the dinosaur years :help: ICCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
It's not about acomplishments duh, its about game, artistic and creative game, something that i found nowhere to be seen in today's game.

spencercarlos
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Definetly on a depleted and lack of talented field like this Venus chances at slams are high even at Roland Garros. IMO. Trying to imply that competition is not a factor is highly delusional.

Infiniti2001
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:12 PM
It's not about acomplishments duh, its about game, artistic and creative game, something that i found nowhere to be seen in today's game.

AcesHigh
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:03 PM
In 2004 Usopen Davenport was the favorite considering the remaining players in the draw. Just like Venus became a favorite at Roland Garros 2004.

I don't know.. Serena was very close to losing her semi. Davenport could beat Serena in that '04 final if she wasnt such a mental midget.

I don't agree. If she's forced into long rallies, she obviously loses the advantage but really only against players who can counter her power and cover a lot of ground(Jankovic/Clijsters/Henin).

Since 2007, she's gotten a more conservative game and she can grind out wins like her win over Jankovic last year. She's just so damn inconsistent which has little to do with how many shots she exchanges. I'd say that's only a factor on clay or slow hardcourt where the penetration of her shots and effectiveness of her power is almost nullified. At USO, she'll get enough cheap points through her serve and the sheer power of her groundies.

danieln1
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:38 PM
What was the last important (not Mickey Mouse) tournament that Venus won before Wimbledon 2008 (exception Wimb 07 and 05)? Was it Warsaw 2004?? And Tier I??? It´s shocking these stats!!

Infiniti2001
Jul 15th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I don't know.. Serena was very close to losing her semi. Davenport could beat Serena in that '04 final if she wasnt such a mental midget.

I don't agree. If she's forced into long rallies, she obviously loses the advantage but really only against players who can counter her power and cover a lot of ground(Jankovic/Clijsters/Henin).

Since 2007, she's gotten a more conservative game and she can grind out wins like her win over Jankovic last year. She's just so damn inconsistent which has little to do with how many shots she exchanges. I'd say that's only a factor on clay or slow hardcourt where the penetration of her shots and effectiveness of her power is almost nullified. At USO, she'll get enough cheap points through her serve and the sheer power of her groundies.

Why bother with specencerICECarlos? He was so sure that Jankovich would bring order to Venus's draw at Wimbledon :lol: Now that she's won the championship , he is back to groping for reasons to go negative on her :help:

sasha&tennis
Jul 15th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Let's see Venus has 5 championship titles from a tournament that every player dreams of winning even 1. I'll take that anyday. Also people don't like to look at the obvious, last year Venus made it to the semi's of the US Open and played a hell of a match against Justine even with anemia and not to mention the fact that she could not buy a first serve there and the match was still tight & could have gone either way. This year at the Australian Open Venus had chances in both sets to win against Ivanovic and her thigh was wrapped like the mummy. I still feel that is the only thing that guaranteed Sharapova's victory because if Venus did not have that hamstring problem Ivanovic would have beens sent home and Venus would have been the one in the finals. When Venus lost I knew Sharapova would win.

danieln1
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Let's see Venus has 5 championship titles from a tournament that every player dreams of winning even 1. I'll take that anyday. Also people don't like to look at the obvious, last year Venus made it to the semi's of the US Open and played a hell of a match against Justine even with anemia and not to mention the fact that she could not buy a first serve there and the match was still tight & could have gone either way. This year at the Australian Open Venus had chances in both sets to win against Ivanovic and her thigh was wrapped like the mummy. I still feel that is the only thing that guaranteed Sharapova's victory because if Venus did not have that hamstring problem Ivanovic would have beens sent home and Venus would have been the one in the finals. When Venus lost I knew Sharapova would win.

Agree on that part! Even with Anemia and injured she managed to play such a tight match against then number 1 player in the world, if she wasnīt sick Venus would have trashed that player just like her sister did this year!! Also Serena was injured (thumb, lack of practice also), the reason she lost in the QF!

Matt01
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Also people don't like to look at the obvious, last year Venus made it to the semi's of the US Open and played a hell of a match against Justine even with anemia and not to mention the fact that she could not buy a first serve there and the match was still tight & could have gone either way.

So she played "a hell of a match", but lost in straight sets and (according to you) couldn't buy a first? Yeah right :rolleyes:

Agree on that part! Even with Anemia and injured she managed to play such a tight match against then number 1 player in the world, if she wasnīt sick Venus would have trashed that player just like her sister did this year!! Also Serena was injured (thumb, lack of practice also), the reason she lost in the QF!

:haha:

AcesHigh
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:11 AM
So she played "a hell of a match", but lost in straight sets and (according to you) couldn't buy a first? Yeah right :rolleyes:

:haha:

:tape: It's a little scary how much we agree sometimes. Neither Venus nor Serena were was going to stop Henin USO 2007.

Matt01
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:14 AM
:tape: It's a little scary how much we agree sometimes. Neither Venus nor Serena were was going to stop Henin USO 2007.

That's why Henin didn't lose a single set during the whole tournament, giving out bagels left and right. :)

Credit to Venus though, who played a good and (mostly) high quality match against Justine. :worship:

Infiniti2001
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:16 AM
That's why Henin didn't lose a single set during the whole tournament, giving out bagels left and right. :)

Credit to Venus though, who played a good and (mostly) high quality match against Justine. :worship:

Looking for a pat on the back mattzer01? :rolleyes:

Matt01
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Looking for a pat on the back mattzer01? :rolleyes:

Certainly not from retards like you. :rolleyes:

Uranium
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:25 AM

Do you have any favorites that haven't retired yet that could occupy your time on this site instead of wasting everyone's time reading your hate for Venus:o

Infiniti2001
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:27 AM

Mirror , mirror :rolleyes:

spencercarlos
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Mirror , mirror :rolleyes:
Idiot, Idiot

Uranium
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Idiot, Idiot

Venus looks amazing in your avatar:)

spencercarlos
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Don't forget that Henin did not play 2007 Usopen alone, remmember how Carlos Rodriguez came on court to assist Justine, hence she won, othewise SereNUS would have beaten her in straight sets like Miami this year.

spencercarlos
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Venus looks amazing in your avatar:)
Looks like Serena's hair ATM ? :p

Infiniti2001
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Idiot, Idiot

ICE, ICE :lol:

danieln1
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Don't forget that Henin did not play 2007 Usopen alone, remmember how Carlos Rodriguez came on court to assist Justine, hence she won, othewise SereNUS would have beaten her in straight sets like Miami this year.

Couldnīt agree more!

Il Primo!
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:05 AM
So what? With 3 out of her latest 5 victories she still have achievements than 99% of the active players. What's your freaking point?

Geisha
Jul 16th, 2008, 02:10 AM
I wonder how Venus' career post 2003 injury would rank among the greats, LMAO