PDA

View Full Version : IVA in New Haven!!!!!

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 14th, 2002, 04:10 AM
Great news Diva's!!!! Iva is in the Main Draw!!!! I just read an article in GM that said that due to Maggie Maleeva's withdrawal, Iva has moved up to the main draw!!! I'm so glad she didn't need to go through qualifying- that draw is going to be tough!!! It's a shame that Iva couldn't have won a few matches at Montreal, but we've got to hope she can get something going here!
Good luck Iva and please give her a decent draw!!!

TS
Aug 14th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Im afraid there'll be no decent draw here :p

Im actually hoping Iva draws one of the top seeds early. I really want to see how she shapes up against them right now. It seems that she loses to the lower ranked players, and gives the higher ranked ones (when she plays them) a bit of a match.

So I actually would like to see her face a seed in round 1 :o Just to see where we stand right now.

Good luck Iva :) Forget Montreal!!! It *was* your first hardcourt tourney in 5 months after all....ahh the joys of excuse making :cool:

GO GET EM!!!!!!

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 15th, 2002, 02:18 AM
Terry, you're right, there won't be any easy draws here, but I just hope that Iva gets someone she can compete against (i.e. Hingis, Dokic) and not someone that could just blast her off the court (i.e. VENUS or Jen!!!), although honestly I think Iva can handle even the biggest power players. I just want her to win at least one round on the hard courts before the US Open b/c she is not defending her finalist points at Quebec!!!!! She needs the points desperately right now!!!! Even in light of her loss to Dechy, I still think Iva can do something at Flushing Meadows. Although I guess it's sure for now that she will face a 1-8 in 3rd round....:-( Isn't that how the seedings work? I'm not sure about that.

GoSandrine
Aug 15th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Hopefull Iva can shake off that birthday hangover and pick up some momentum heading into the Open where she played so well last year....

GO DIVA!!! :bounce:

TS
Aug 15th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Good to see you Ed :wavey: Thanks for your support! Will you be attending the Open this year?

xcourt, Iva is 25 in the world right now I think...so she should get #24 as Sandrine is not playing :sad: Not sure, Ive never been the most reliable stats person :o

Go IVA! Here's to a good week :D

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 16th, 2002, 05:47 AM
I hope you're right about that Terry!!! Iva has much better chances to beat a 9-16 than a 1-8. That seeding between 24 and 25 seems so critical right now!!!! GO IVA!!!! Beat them all!!!!

Berlin_Calling
Aug 16th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Icant wait to see Iva here!!

Zl@tko
Aug 17th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Go Iva!!!

I hope she will play well and kick some butts in New Haven and New York!

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 17th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Iva plays Silvia Farina Elia 1st round! IMO, this is a very winnable match for Iva. I hope she's gotten in some good hard court practice since that loss to Ruano Pascual and comes here ready to kick booty!!!!
Possible 2nd round match-up with Hantuchova I believe...

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 17th, 2002, 10:09 PM
This record looks good for Iva too:

Iva MAJOLI (CRO) v Silvia FARINA-ELIA (ITA)

1994 French Open Clay (O) 64 Iva MAJOLI 6-4 6-1
1996 Leipzig Carpet (I) 16 Iva MAJOLI 6-4 6-2
2000 Kuala Lumpur Hard (O) 32 Iva MAJOLI 6-1 6-4

Iva MAJOLI (CRO) leads 3 : 0

I hope Iva can keep it up!!!! I would love to see how she could do against Daniela!!!!

TS
Aug 18th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Im pretty happy with this match :) Silvia is another of my favorite players and will give Iva a tough match, but if Iva wanted 35 bonus points right now with poor form and all, I think now would be as good a time as any. Silvia is also struggling with form at the moment so hopefully Iva can take advantage of that.

Ive got a good feeling about this match. Let wait and see what happens!

GO IVA! :D

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 18th, 2002, 08:26 PM
She's the 3rd match on center court!!!! Let's start praying now!!!!

GO IVA!!!!

croat123
Aug 19th, 2002, 01:12 AM
IVA WON! 4-6 6-4 7-6(2)

That was really close. She will now have two days to rest until the second round. She must be very happy with this win!

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 19th, 2002, 01:50 AM
Another 3rd set tiebreak for Iva!!!!
2nd one of these that she has played and won this year! She got to the 2nd round here last year, but that was a 64 player draw and this year is only 32, so that should help her points!!!
Good luck next round Iva!!!! Go far here!!!

TS
Aug 19th, 2002, 02:24 AM
woohoo! What a great victory!!!! :bounce:

This will do wonders for her confidence :D

xcourt, are you sure? :confused: I am pretty sure Iva lost in the first round of qualies last year to Oremans...so by my calculations Iva has already earned 60 points just by winning 1 match here :eek: :D

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 19th, 2002, 02:42 AM
Hey Terry! Great news huh!?!?! Yeah, Iva beat Mashona Washingtoon in the 1st rd of 64, then lost to Serena in the next rd of 32. Still, this win should help, right? Calculations welcomed!!!

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 19th, 2002, 04:18 AM
Iva lost to Oremans in the 1st rnd of Stuttgart last year, maybe that's the match you're thinking of?

BTW, did anyone else notice that Iva is not entering Quebec this year? Strange choice since she got to the finals last year?
I think she will be in Bahia again though and is only defending 2nd round points....Her indoor record was terrible last year, so maybe she can make up a few ranking spots in Europe. I'm hoping she will do well here in New Haven and start climbing back up the rankings quickly!!!

TS
Aug 19th, 2002, 11:28 AM
xcourt, you're thinking of the Canadian Open last year :p hehe

Iva lost to Oremans in a final set tiebreak in the first round of qualies last year in New Haven, so its good that she has nothing to defend this year!!

Oh, and Im positive, I just double checked ;)

I wondered why she hadnt entered Quebec, but realistically it was used as a stepping stone last year to get some much needed points...at the time it worked, and now that she is Top 30 I guess she doesnt really need those Tier 3 points...she is propably going to try and make them up in the Indoor tournies :)

Good luck Iva against Daniela or Jennifer :D Most likely Daniela, and boy thats gonna be a toughie!

Master Lu
Aug 19th, 2002, 11:21 PM
RACE TO LOS ANGELES

Rank/Name Points Events
1 S. Williams 4001 9*
2 V. Williams 3815 12*
3 Capriati 3224 12*
4 Seles 2409 12*
5 Henin 2408 16*
6 Dokic 2189 20*
7 Mauresmo 2131 13*
8 Hingis 2081 8*
9 Hantuchova 1765.75 18
10 Clijsters 1730 14
11 Farina Elia 1389 20
12 Rubin 1357 9
13 Smashnova 1184.5 20
13 Myskina 1150.75 21
14 Dementieva 1108 18
15 Kremer 1096.75 21
Sugiyama 1086.75 21
Dechy 1055 18
Suarez 1002 18
Schnyder 982 18
Fernandez 948.5 12
Daniilidou 939 19
[ Testud 901 14]
Tanasugarn 844 20
Raymond 842 16
Kournikova 821 22
Maleeva 819 17
Majoli 804 15
Panova 763 22
Davenport 493 3

* Secured a place

These are the points coming into New Heaven. Iva has around 200 to make up to get a place in the year ends. With the 60 she got from the first round she jumped above Tanasugarn. Testud probably won't make it to LA. Davenport probably will. None of the players in the line in front of Iva are playing in NH. If she could pull an upset over Daniela (most probably), she'd have made up a lot of those points... Hope she does it! :)

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 20th, 2002, 03:37 AM
What was I thinking!!!! You guys are right and I'm so glad!!!! 60 points is huge for Iva right now! I am so hoping she can beat Daniela- that would just be incredible!!!! As it is, I believe she will be overtaking Lisa Raymond and maybe some other players as well!!! This is great news!!!!! Please keep on winning Iva!!! It's also good that she will have a few days off before her next match so she can be fresh!!!!

GoSandrine
Aug 21st, 2002, 03:59 AM
A much needed win for Iva.....congrats girl! :D Now let's all hope for a rough draw at the Open cause you know Iva's gonna stir things up as the underdog. ;)

Better luck at the Open, Silvia. :(

And yes, I'll be there Terry, along with Nico, my partner in crime. He arrives tomorrow. :cool:

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 21st, 2002, 04:19 AM
HI GoSandrine! I saw that Tennis Corner now has Iva at #22!!! I'm so excited to see her play on TV tomorrow!!! I'm praying for another upset win!!!! Keep on climbing the rankings Diva Darling!!!

Sandstorm
Aug 22nd, 2002, 02:47 AM
Hantuchova def. Majoli 4:6,6:4,6:1:fiery: :mad: :( :sad:

Good luck in US OPEN!!!!

GoSandrine
Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:02 AM
Hi Xcrt & Fellow Divas :wavey:

Too bad for Iva...I got my hopes up when I saw she took the raced to a 5-2 first set lead. :(

Oh well, better things to come at the Open I hope.

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:48 AM
I was so hopeful too, I signed on with the scores updated at 6-4 4-6 and was really hoping for a win....Oh well, still a good fight and hopefully a rematch at the Open that Iva will win!!! Still, we should remain positive over Iva's 1st round win and the points she gained there. I still wish she had played in California instead of Finland. Best of luck to Iva at the Open and in Brazil!!!!

TS
Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:13 AM
Damn, a close one :( :( :(

Well, she didnt let me down with the fact that she can give the top players a run for their money, but if only she could transfer it to a win :( Im sure the time is coming....

Ed, cant wait to hear your reports/news/views/gossip next week!!! :p

Onto the Open!

croat123
Aug 24th, 2002, 02:33 AM
I saw the match on tv and have to admit that Iva played one of the best first sets i've seen her play in a long time. she saved set point at 3-5 in the second, and served at 4-5, but made three forehand errors on put away shots. her game fell apart after that. too bad she didn't win, she could have won it in two. good luck in NY!