PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Stanford

cosmoose
Jul 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Its finally here. US hard court season that is. ;)

Anna will be defending her championship from last year.

Draw will be out today.

GOOD LUCK ANNA!!!!! :D

Sharapower8
Jul 11th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Davai Anna !! :bounce:

kolan
Jul 11th, 2008, 09:36 PM
good luck anna :)

goldenlox
Jul 12th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Anna has a bye then Peer, and she's done well against Shahar. Then probably Bartoli, who is beatable.

TennisPlayingFox
Jul 12th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Anna has a pretty good draw! It's ceartinly doable to make the semis here where she might have a rematch from last year's semi against Dani or she may face Nadia. Good luck Anna!

kolan
Jul 12th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Anna has a pretty good draw! It's ceartinly doable to make the semis here where she might have a rematch from last year's semi against Dani or she may face Nadia. Good luck Anna!

i agree that anna should make the semis here. i hope she can win to defend her points from last year :p

Pink Princess
Jul 12th, 2008, 07:03 PM
It's pretty obvious that the part of the season that comes next is very important for Anna.

Pink Princess
Jul 12th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Take this Title, Anna Chakvy:bigclap::bigclap::bigclap:

bad_angel_109
Jul 13th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I'm hoping for an Anna-Dani semifinal rematch. That'd be really good to watch. :D

Escape
Jul 13th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Not a bad draw for Anna :) She should make the SF

Good luck Anna :D

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Peer beat Safina at Wimbledon. It won't be as easy as it used to be

peanuts
Jul 14th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Peer beat Safina at Wimbledon. It won't be as easy as it used to be

True. And as proven in the past several months an easy draw doesn't mean much if Anna's form is still off.

Anna is terrible when she's defending a title. :o Let's hope this time she'll do better. :)

cosmoose
Jul 14th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Anna will be playing doubles with Sania Mirza. :bounce:

cosmoose
Jul 14th, 2008, 09:50 AM
IndyCar Series Driver, Tennis Star Hit the Court at Treasure Island
MARIO DOMINGUEZ READY TO PLAY AGAINST TENNIS STAR Anna Chakvetadze

WHAT:

IndyCar® Series driver Mario Dominguez will square off against tennis ace Anna Chakvetadze in a 15-minute tennis exhibition on Treasure Island. The athletes are promoting upcoming sporting events in the Bay Area. Chakvetadze, from Moscow, is the defending champion of the Bank of the West Classic, which takes place July 14-20 at Stanford University. Dominguez, from Mexico, will compete in the Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma County at Infineon Raceway, Aug. 22-24.

WHEN:

Monday, July 14, noon.

WHERE:

Treasure Island. The athletes will compete with the Bay Bridge and San Francisco Skyline as a breathtaking backdrop. Once the tennis exhibition is complete, Dominguez will challenge Chakvetadze in something more familiar: the Grand Tourismo video game. An IndyCar show-car will also be on display at the event.

WHO:

Mario Dominguez (No. 96 Pacific Coast Motorsports): Dominguez has competed in the professional open-wheel ranks since 2002, and made the move to the IndyCar Series with this year’s unification with Champ Car. The Mexico City native finished third in the final Champ Car event of the season at Long Beach earlier this year. Dominguez is a graduate of San Francisco’s Burlingame High School.

Anna Chakvetadze: A native of Moscow, Chakvetadze is currently ranked eighth in the world and is the defending Bank of the West Classic Champion. The 21-year old Russian star has won seven career Sony Ericsson WTA Tour singles titles including a victory in Paris earlier this year. She recorded a breakout season in 2007 capturing four singles titles, reaching her first Grand Slam semifinal at the US Open and ending the season ranked No. 6 in the world.
http://pcmracing.com/images/med_for%20Indy%20Gallery%20-%2001.jpg
http://pcmracing.com/images/med_Watkins%20Gallery%20-%206.jpg

Wintermute
Jul 14th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Not a bad draw. And Anna could really do with a good tournament here to kick off her US hard court season.

fOxYLiCiOuS
Jul 16th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Good luck Anna :kiss: :hearts:

:unsure:

bad_angel_109
Jul 16th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Go Anna! :D

bruce goose
Jul 16th, 2008, 06:49 PM
'Bad Angel' has already heard my suspicions about this,but I think that Anna may have had a growth spurt of an inch or more in the past year;she looks taller to me in those Stanford photos...does anyone else see this?Anna has been one of the Tour's MOST consistent gals since she broke the Top 10,then she started losing easily in the beginning of this season.Masha had this same sort of bad streak when she grew a couple inches,and it happened to Seles when she was younger,too.Anna is 3-1 lifetime vs. Peer and she's usually strong on hardcourts so I'm hoping for,and expecting,a win in this match.:)

penkku
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Go Anna :) , show us that you own US hardcourts ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Anna takes her to the cleaners :woohoo: 6-3 6-4
hope she gave her a few c'mons :devil:

goldenlox
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Anna needs every win she can get this summer

Pink Princess
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Anna has reached the QFs:bigclap::bigclap::bigclap:

Droolv
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:44 PM
:woohoo:

Very convicing win Anna :yeah:

Good luck in the quarters against Marion or Anne :armed:

Frode
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Great start:D

Foot's Fingers
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Anna :banana:

pls win more here ;)

BUBI
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Goo Anna!!! :bounce:

smokovec
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Good start for Anna, I hope she can improve in these Weeks and reach some results in this US Open Series.

Sharapower8
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Unfortunately she lost in doubles : Hrdinova/Uhlirova (CZE/CZE) d. Chakvetadze/Mirza (RUS/IND) 63 64

sammy01
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:55 AM
anna chakvetadze now plays marion bartoli who just edged past anne, 6-3, 1-6, 7-5. bartoli didn't play well and had the trainer on court, if anna can keep the UE's down she should win this match!

good luck anna!

Wintermute
Jul 18th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I'm glad Anna's campaign is off to a good start. She's had trouble with Marion before but I think Anna feels very confident on these courts so I'm optimistic.

cosmoose
Jul 18th, 2008, 05:16 AM
'Bad Angel' has already heard my suspicions about this,but I think that Anna may have had a growth spurt of an inch or more in the past year;she looks taller to me in those Stanford photos...does anyone else see this?Anna has been one of the Tour's MOST consistent gals since she broke the Top 10,then she started losing easily in the beginning of this season.Masha had this same sort of bad streak when she grew a couple inches,and it happened to Seles when she was younger,too.Anna is 3-1 lifetime vs. Peer and she's usually strong on hardcourts so I'm hoping for,and expecting,a win in this match.:)

That is a very interesting theory. When there is growth spurt, one tends to lose hand eye coordination.

Then there are others that say she is still recovering mentally from the horrible robbery from last winter.

My personal theory,
Now that Anna achieved top 10, she wanted to BEAT the elite players like Maria, WS, Ivanovic etc. So she started hitting harder, harder serves, and harder groundstrokes. Unfortunately, she lost accuracy and consistency in the process.

Episode
Jul 19th, 2008, 03:31 AM
And Bartoli defeats Anna 6-3 6-4. Way too many unforced errors by Anna. She didn't play that well at all. So sad.

Wintermute
Jul 19th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Anna follows her trend of poor title defenses it seems. :( Didn't see her matches but it doesn't sound great, especially considering Marion was struggling yesterday.

Episode
Jul 19th, 2008, 04:03 AM
I'm actually watching the match now on Tennis Channel but it's not live so the results are already online.

21 unforced errors in the first set.

She's actually up 2-0 in the second set but still manages to lose (obviously) this set too.

Alex72
Jul 19th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Her unforced error count was at 35 by the last game and Anna added 3 more so 38. She was going for the lines way too much and missing. Anna never gave Bartoli a chance to think about it and drop her game. I`m really hoping Anna can turn her year around soon.

PerfectForm
Jul 19th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Damn ! What is wrong with Anna this year... she is so inconsistent. Ironically, consistency was one of her greatest weapon (and her angles, of course.

Pls get it together at the next tournament, Anna

Alex72
Jul 19th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Marion was playing well but never tested because Anna just kept giving away games with errors. It was hard to watch.

saniapower
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Anna is the better player and will remain but if u allow someone to play well she(Bartoli) will.

GeorgianFan
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Anna :hug:

goldenlox
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Awful results. She's smart to skip the Olympics.
Practice with Lansdorp this summer.

bad_angel_109
Jul 19th, 2008, 03:52 PM
So sad Anna lost. Now she can't defend her title. :( Oh well, at least she gets an extra few more days to rest and to prepare for Montreal.

~|Naomi|~
Jul 20th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Awful results. She's smart to skip the Olympics.
Practice with Lansdorp this summer.

I doubt it was purely Anna's choice only to skip Olympics. A lot of people would have been involved in that decision including people not in Anna's camp ie - Russian Olympic Committee & selectors.

charlieluvtennis
Jul 20th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Hopefully Anna will get better ... the year isn't over yet so she could surpise us

peanuts
Jul 21st, 2008, 02:23 AM
It's really no surprise anna wasn't able to defend her title. Aside from her current lack of form, she really hasn't proven in the past that she can make a good run when it comes to defending a title.

saniapower
Jul 21st, 2008, 07:43 PM
Anna not playing Olympics :sad:
poor decision from Russian Olympifc committee