PDA

View Full Version : Alicia in North America

OZTENNIS
Jul 7th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Former World No.8 Alicia Molik will be looking to recapture SOME singles form with some solid results in the US. At the moment, she has entered in the Montreal Tier 1 WTA event, but still seems to refuse to step down to ITF level. We know she is set for her third, and possibly last, Olympic Games, but will she do enough to warrant the TA US Open wildcard?

Here's hoping Alicia can regain some form for a solid ending to the season, otherwise she might even slip out of the top 200 by the end of the season...

All the best for a healthy two months, Ala

Harvs
Jul 8th, 2008, 03:21 AM
montreal... u must be kidding alicia lol

grr

miss_molik
Jul 8th, 2008, 06:41 AM
good luck lish.....

Ben.
Jul 8th, 2008, 08:15 AM
GL Alicia.

AUSBOY
Jul 8th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Im glad she's over in US, less issues with Jetlag like Casey will have. Hopefully she's training hard on her fitness and giving her arm some rest at the same time. Dont write her off yet. It will only take her a few wins to get a lot of her top 70 confidence back.

Daniel.
Jul 8th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Her mixed doubles performance at Wimbledon gives me some hope, as does her passion to perform well at the Olympics. She will find some form. Her schedualing is holding her back though.

Chrisi
Jul 8th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Her mixed doubles performance at Wimbledon gives me some hope, as does her passion to perform well at the Olympics. She will find some form. Her schedualing is holding her back though.

Hopefully, but I have a good feeling concerning the Olympics!

OZTENNIS
Jul 11th, 2008, 06:28 AM
http://sportal.com.au/tennis-news-display/molik-aiming-for-gold-52210

Alicia Molik describes her 2004 Olympic bronze medal as the pinnacle of her tennis career - and now she's aiming to go at least one better in Beijing.
The 27-year-old, whose promising career has been curbed by injury and illness ever since, went to Athens unseeded but surprised many in the tennis world as she cut a swathe through the draw, falling to Frenchwoman Amelie Mauresmo for a place in the gold-medal match before beating No.3 seed Anastasia Myskina 6-3 6-4 on her way to bronze.
"Nothing has even come close to that," Molik said at Melbourne Park on Friday. "That eclipses anything that I've ever achieved in my whole entire tennis career."
"I guess it goes to show what the Olympics mean to me. I love playing there, and love playing with my fellow peers."
"Playing for Australia is something that as a tennis player, we compete around the world, but not always in Australian colours."
Molik will feature in both singles and doubles in Beijing, where she will team up with in-form Casey Dellacqua.
Although the pair has never played together before, Molik is confident a medal is well within reach.
"Beijing has been the biggest thing on my calendar, so to speak, for the last four years," she said.
"If I was going there for the fun of it and just to have a great time, I don't think that's really following in the Olympic spirit. I think every single athlete goes there with a dream, and that dream is to win a medal. That's why I'm going."
Molik will spend the next three weeks in Brisbane to acclimatise before flying to China for her third Olympics.
And while not one to dwell on the past, Molik harks back to Athens as she sets her sights on more Olympic glory.
"The bronze I walked away with from Athens was the absolute highlight of my career," she said.
The result was an entry into the world's top 20 for the first time, which followed her best season on tour that included three WTA singles titles.
The following year began even more promisingly - reaching the quarter-finals of the Australian Open that saw her break into the top 10 for the first time - before being struck down by vestibular neuronitis, an inner ear infection that affected her vision and balance, that forced her to spend months on the sidelines and saw her ranking slide to outside the top 500
She returned to the Tour mid-2006, playing 15 events and finishing the season at 163rd in the world. A third-round performance at last year's Australian Open saw her catapulted back into the top 100, before peaking at No.57.
But hamstring, calf and elbow injuries again conspired to cruel her game as she struggles to regain her standing on the women's tour.
Can she make it back to the top?
"There's always a chance," she said. "I don't know. I certainly don't rock up at the tennis centre at 6.30am, 7am every morning for no reason."

Ben.
Jul 11th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Thanks Zack for the article. Just goes to show how determined Alicia is & this is an indication that retirement isn't going to be around the corner for some time.

scottsue
Jul 11th, 2008, 07:39 AM
She is so patriotic it makes me feel great to be going and cheering her on in Beijing. There is a huge Aussie presence in China so our gals should get heaps of support. Alicia has got a pretty cool doubles partner for the Olympics as well.

Mr.Kardashian
Jul 11th, 2008, 11:03 AM
wow great article it gives me some hope! im proud of Alicia's determination and i REALLY hope she finds some form... she really does deserve it!

Harvs
Jul 11th, 2008, 05:03 PM
she sounds like she really believes she can do it..

it will be interesting to watch, maybe with that much determination, current form wont mean much? god i hope so..

Milito22
Jul 12th, 2008, 12:57 AM
thanks for the article, :D

Keadz
Jul 12th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Comeback attempt number 2!

Good luck Alicia, she seems motivated enough. Hopefully it isn't anti climatic and she loses in the first round of qaulies. Then loses in the Olympics.

OZTENNIS
Jul 15th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Another article :)
She seems so excited and doesn;t look like she will be retiring yet :) :hug:

Former top 10 player Alicia Molik is putting the finishing touches on her preparation for the Beijing Olympics. Just weeks out from the opening ceremony, the 27 year old took time out from her busy training schedule to join in an Aviva Tennis Hot Shots session at Melbourne Park with some very excited players from Camp Quality.
Describing the past four years as a “rocky road”, Molik is working hard to give herself the best chance of repeating her success at the 2004 Athens Olympics where she won a singles bronze medal.
“It [winning a medal] is within my sights, absolutely,” said Molik. “If I was going there for the fun of it and just to have a great time I really don't think that's in the Olympic spirit. I think every single athlete goes with a dream and that dream is to win a medal and that's why I'm going.”
Molik can't hide the excitement in her voice when she speaks about her medal-winning performance in Athens four years ago: “Nothing has come even close to that. That eclipses anything that I've ever achieved in my whole entire tennis career. I guess it goes to show what the Olympics means to me.”
The then 23 year old surprised even herself by claiming the bronze, an effort she describes as “a result of pure want and desire”. The 2004 gold and silver medals were won by the recently retired Justine Henin and Amelie Mauresmo respectively – neither of whom will be in Beijing.
The Beijing field is, according to the ITF, the “strongest field ever”, with 2008 Grand Slam tournament winners Ana Ivanovic, Maria Sharapova and Venus Williams all attending.
In recent times, Molik has been hampered by an elbow injury that has persisted for the past 12 months, something she considers “a management type issue”. With this being managed and her fitness at a good level, the South Australian's preparation is almost complete.
A regular visitor to China since 2001, Molik is hoping that her preparation will help her to thrive in Beijing. To prepare herself for the elements, Molik has spent time working out in a heat chamber at the Lexus Centre. On top of this, she will soon travel to Brisbane for a three week training block where she is hoping to meet up with other Olympic athletes preparing for their shot at glory.
Molik will be one of three Australian women vying for singles gold, Samantha Stosur and Australian No.1 Casey Dellacqua, who is making her Olympic debut, will also be making the trip.
Dellacqua, who recently made the French Open doubles final with Francesca Schiavone and the Wimbledon semis with Nathalie Dechy, will be partnering Molilk in the doubles – a combination that could prove formidable. While Molik and Dellacqua have never paired up before, Molik likes their chances. “Her results show she's very dangerous right now … I think we both have games that will complement each other quite well.”
With the tennis event beginning on Sunday 10 August, two days after the opening ceremony, Molik says she is a definite to attend the Games opening – “I will be there, absolutely with bells on.”
In 2004, Molik's Olympic win was a sign of things to come, with the Australian going on to crack the top 10 and reach her career-high ranking of No.8 in early 2005. Molik's many fans will be hoping that the Beijing Olympics will herald the beginning of her second coming.
“To be honest it's been a bit of an uphill battle, but it's one that I'm prepared to try and overcome.”

Ben.
Jul 15th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Love her attitude, no wonder why she is such a role model to young Aussie girls who aspire to become tennis professionals one day. I do believe she has a good chance at this Olympics and hopefully all that hard work and determination will pay off.

I also read another article where she said that those who would most likely win the medals would handle the conditions in Beijing better.

scottsue
Jul 16th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Thanks for posting this. Very promising!

Milito22
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:45 PM
cīmon :rocker2:

miss_molik
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Yay, thats such an inspiring article :) Go kick ass alicia