PDA

View Full Version : What A Waste Of Talent

Lolo8
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I'm talking about Venus Williams. Nobody in the history of women's tennis moves and glides across the court like this woman. Watching her on grass is a sight to behold. Even her volleys are beautiful and crisp when she executes it right.That forehand of hers that is ridiculed so much is a deadly weapon when its on. With five wimbledons in an elite club Venus Williams is still an underachiever. With atheleticism like that she should have won the career slam. I still don't understand it? That kind of greatness shouldn't only be displayed once a year at wimbledon. Venus has all the atributes to win on clay with her speed and great movement. But why such dismal results there? The same with Aussie Open. Venus could have been the female Pete Sampras setting the standard of greatness for her generation.She could have showed all the other wannabees how it should be done on the other surfaces. Instead of wanting to be the best by getting extra coaching to take it to another leval she choose to design ugly clothes. This is not a put down its just the frustration I have with Venus knowing that she has the potential to do acheive even greater things in tennis.

DimaDinosaur
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:18 PM
could would should. All these words means nothing. This is reality, we can only deal with the present and facts, not hypothetical scenarios.

Paneru
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:19 PM
could would should. All these words means nothing. This is reality, we can only deal with the present and facts, not hypothetical scenarios.

Exactly!

Enjoy what you've got and look forward.

Donny
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:20 PM

That's why he's calling it a waste.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:20 PM
She peaked at the wrong time in which Serena also peaked during that time.:shrug:

Dodoboy.
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I agree Ben :)

TSequoia01
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:22 PM
You forget she lost 5 slams to lil sis....if we want to dream add those to her totals.

DimaDinosaur
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:24 PM
That's why he's calling it a waste.

7 GS singles, 6 GS doubles (7 after today), 2 mixed GS, 2 Olympic GOLD medal, and the #1 ranking. This is what you call a waste?

Uranium
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:28 PM
7 GS singles, 6 GS doubles (7 after today), 2 mixed GS, 2 Olympic GOLD medal, and the #1 ranking. This is what you call a waste?

I am gonna good rep you;)

But saying she is a waste BEFORE her career is over is stupid, she still has time to win the Career Slam, but if she doesn't she'll still be a legend, 5 wimbledons is something only 3 other women could do.
If the plexicushion is actually fast like it should have been this year, next year Venus good do well.

Donny
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:29 PM

This isn't my thread. But if the threadstarter truly believes that Venus had the chance to do more, and didn't, then yes, it is a waste in his opinion.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:33 PM
she can still win french and aussie :)

i believe she has a good chance at both still. she just needs to change her mentality a bit.

Black Mamba.
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I understand where you're coming from. Vee had the potential to be the greatest women's tennis player of all-time. However, who's to say that even if Vee didn't have outside interests and she got better coaches, how long she could maintain that high level? Look at Justine, Kim C, etc and how they burnt out of tennis. I'm confident that had Vee focused entirely on tennis we would have this same conversation, but only in the context of what Vee could have been if she hadn't burnout and left tennis too soon.

Bruno71
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:35 PM
she can still win french and aussie :)

i believe she has a good chance at both still. she just needs to change her mentality a bit.

She should definitely have a great shot at the Aussie. It seems it takes Venus some time to get going over the course of the season, she can work on that.

The French, well, she could have a shot, but one of the problems seems to be an overall discomfort with a clay court. Her game is powerful enough to do well enough on clay and even win some of the warm-up tournies, but it'll be her toughest battle to try and win RG.

saniapower
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I'm talking about Venus Williams. Nobody in the history of women's tennis moves and glides across the court like this woman. Watching her on grass is a sight to behold. Even her volleys are beautiful and crisp when she executes it right.That forehand of hers that is ridiculed so much is a deadly weapon when its on. With five wimbledons in an elite club Venus Williams is still an underachiever. With atheleticism like that she should have won the career slam. I still don't understand it? That kind of greatness shouldn't only be displayed once a year at wimbledon. Venus has all the atributes to win on clay with her speed and great movement. But why such dismal results there? The same with Aussie Open. Venus could have been the female Pete Sampras setting the standard of greatness for her generation.She could have showed all the other wannabees how it should be done on the other surfaces. Instead of wanting to be the best by getting extra coaching to take it to another leval she choose to design ugly clothes. This is not a put down its just the frustration I have with Venus knowing that she has the potential to do acheive even greater things in tennis.

Sharapova, Jerlena & Ana can match Venus & Serena shot for shot in other surfaces. :shrug: But here undoubtedly they the edge. Look the way Sharapova played this yr ao there was none to stop her & nobody did & the way Venus played throughout this year wimbledon there was never any doubt about the champion, forget how others were playing :yeah:

Chunchun
Jul 5th, 2008, 08:43 PM

they are not ugly :rolleyes:

hacberto
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:11 PM
wuao to much shit. Venus won and she'll win again and it doesn't matter if she only wins in Wimbledon, a slam is a slam. (and Wimbledon is the biggest one)

sammy01
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:39 PM
she hasn't improved her weaknesses, but still has amazing strengths that suit grass. she has been a pro like 12 years and hasn't learnt to hit a decent sliced backhand defense shot, i mean imagine her with henins slice backhand to work herself back in points. also she hasn't learn't to kick her 2nd serve, i feel these are the 2 main reasons she hasn't been as great as she could have. her game as it is is perfect for the grass but the extra things are needed to make it as effective on clay and now hardcourts but she has never seemed to add them into her game.

still id settle with 5 wimbledon titles lol!

¤CharlDa¤
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Venus seems soooooo happy right now. She loves Wimbledon, puts her mind to it, wins it. She designs her clothes, it's a great success. She fights for women rights all over the world, it works. Saying Venus is a waste is a joke for me. She had a very satisfying tennis career, and she is making this world a better place. I'd never consider that a waste.

soomaal
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Who are you to call anyone a waste of talent? She has achieved what many other players could only dream of achieving and so what if things haven't always turned her way....she has still been fortunate to have won so many slams and her career is still not finished so might just win the AU and RG at some point. To right her off would be at your own peril.....