PDA

View Full Version : We've had Sharapova, Ivanovic, Venus and...

supergrunt
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:11 PM
who will win the US Open? :D

The Daviator
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Another Williams.

Tennisation
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Serena's gonna win the Olympics and the US Open

hayleytrotter
I'm hoping for Jelena Jankovic!

Il Primo!
Venus is my pick. Then Maria.

joăo.
Maria Sharapova, hopefully. :D

tennnisfannn
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:14 PM
the only fitting name to go with that group of elite players is Serena. That and the fact that she is playing well enough to beat all the afore mentioned names on the hard court.

gmokb
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Don't count out Serena here, she is playing well, lost to the best grass court player of this tennis era. I won't mind seeing another all WS final, thus knowing that the cup will go to a Williams.

Vincey!
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I think Maria then Serena

hacberto
Serena Williams I think she'll now work harder and I think she'll win

ElusiveChanteuse
I hope Serena, Venus, Ana, Jelena, Sveta, Nadia, Lena, Aga or Vika will win!:D

DownTheLine21
After all of the hard work she's put in this year, I would like to see Serena win a GS. Of course, I'm still rooting for Ana to win, as well.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:22 PM
After all of the hard work she's put in this year, I would like to see Serena win a GS. Of course, I'm still rooting for Ana to win, as well.

i know...it would be frustrating for her to work so hard and get fit just to not win a slam...i say she takes out all her frustration and comes away with the title

*W*
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I'm sure Serena will win Olimpics and US!

Borislove
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:26 PM
The player who will loose early in Beijing!

kwilliams
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I think a Williams will likely win it because they are pretty solid on American hardcourts. Venus' overall record in NYC is incredible but I think Serena will be spurred by today's loss. I think she might dominate this summer.

morbidangle
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Maybe Sveta. The first two slams were won by the previous year's beaten finalist, the third by the defending champion (Bartoli winning would've been so wrong!) , so Sveta should be happy with that pattern. Now with Justine gone, she can take the defending champion's spot.

Svetlana.
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I want Elena or Sveta to win it.

LindsayRulz
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Venus always play well at the US Open when she just won Wimbledon. So I'm going with Venus ans then Serena.

freeandlonely
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Maria or Serena I guess.

дalex
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I think one of WS, but I would so love if it would be JJ. [prays to God]
If not JJ then I hope Serena wins it.
edit. Or Kuzy but her chances are not too big...:unsure:

Warrior
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Three different slams, three different winners. I think the trend will continue.

cellophane
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Hardcourts :drool:

Should be the most competitive part of the season, but we say it every year, and it turns to shit... Well, at least MAry is coming back.

mankind
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Maybe Sveta. The first two slams were won by the previous year's beaten finalist, the third by the defending champion (Bartoli winning would've been so wrong!) , so Sveta should be happy with that pattern. Now with Justine gone, she can take the defending champion's spot.

Stupid, stupid logic.

teleri
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Serena, defeated in Wimby and miss of Henin will motivate her.

Bijoux0021
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:55 PM
It has been so long since a Williams sister won the US Open. If Serena stays healthy, I think she's going to be more than determine to win the US Open this year, especially after losing Wimbledon.

Dodoboy.
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Venus then Serena :)

mb011
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:01 PM
it is absolutley impossible to realistically predict this, so i'm going with my heart again - jelena.

Max565
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Just realised all the major winners this year so far have been different... Well, I think the pattern will continue and Serena wins :p

But I'd like Maria to win

faboozadoo15
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:07 PM
All of these women have a great shot.
Sharapova has been the best hardcourt player the last few years, and she'll be looking to get rid of what happened in Europe. I'd say Serena is a good bet too because I can't imagine how high her motivation will be. Venus is a tougher call. I think she'll do well at the US Open, but I don't see her winning it for some reason. Jankovic is due for a soft draw. She'll need to stay away from Sharapova if she wants to win. I have no idea how this woman gives the Williams sisters fits, but Maria steamrolls her. Ivanovic? She could be really dangerous now that the pressure is off and she's a bit separated from the high of winning her first major.

Emina.
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Rena! I think she deserves a GS Title in 2008 :)

treufreund
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Dinara Safina ;)

hacberto
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Serena all the way I predict Venus winning in the Olympics and having a good summer winning 2 titles and having a good end, maybe winning the yec.

I predict Serena winning Us Open and winning the US Open Series and a good indoor season.

CanIGetAWhat
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:23 PM
After losing in the Wimbledon final, Serena will be extra motivated to win the USO.

Malva
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Bartoli winning would've been so wrong!

???

If Bartoli won Wimbledon that would be a truly towering achievement for her. Actually for anybody. What are you talking about?

Optima
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Jellleeennnaaaaa! God I would love it.

tennisIlove09
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I hope Serena.

Just Do It
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:28 PM
No, seriosuly if Jelena stays fit she has to reach AT LEAST a final here.
I think Sharapova/Jankovic or Ivanovic are winning this.

Marilyn Monheaux
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Serena then Maria/Ana. JJ will get the Olympics! (I hope...:unsure:)

jbeacinu
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:20 PM
jj

soomaal
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Venus Williams will continue her GOLDEN summer slam and win the Olympics and US Open!

soomaal
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I don't know why people are ignoring the pattern that Venus usually shows after a Wimbledon win - which is doing very well in US Open. Had it not been for Henin she would DEFINETLY have won last year and I expect her to do well in Olympics and come out with a win at the US Open. :hearts::hearts:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Serena, Ana, Jelena and Kuzzie do well there too. But I think that Sharapova's slump will continue for a while cuz the girl needs to borrow a new serve.:tape:

Marshmallow
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Serena is my pick. She's been getting better and better this year, and with a serve like that her opponents will have to play like Venus did today and there aren't really any who can (movement, reach and power) except Venus herself. Serena's also probably the best stratergist of the top players, and will be Hungry after this loss. If she can get better her movement a little and maintain that Serving... She will not be denied.

I hope anyway. I'm not sure Vee is greedy enough to let Serena have it again in another consecutive slam final should it happen.

Marshmallow
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I don't know why people are ignoring the pattern that Venus usually shows after a Wimbledon win - which is doing very well in US Open. Had it not been for Henin she would DEFINETLY have won last year and I expect her to do well in Olympics and come out with a win at the US Open. :hearts::hearts:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Serena, Ana, Jelena and Kuzzie do well there too. But I think that Sharapova's slump will continue for a while cuz the girl needs to borrow a new serve.:tape:

That's an excellent point Soomaal, Venus will be riding a confidence wave for a while, and got super close to doing the double last year.

Venus/Serena and either way I'm :bounce:

Sean.
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Dinara Safina ;)

:bounce:That would be awesome!

But who really knows? It's ages away.

Marilyn Monheaux
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:11 PM
:bounce:That would be awesome!

But who really knows? It's ages away.

Woah!:eek: For a second I thought you wrote "It's Agnes Szavay" :lol:
I really need new glasses :smash::haha:

ASP0315
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Well last year when Venus won wimbledon. I have seen 10000+ threads saying Venus will US open and the golden slam blah blah blah. :lol:

Anyway i'll vote for ana ivanovic or jelena jankovic if fit to win USO.
I like Venus and serena but i don't think they will win USO.(you cn admit they weren't at thier best and got a bit lucky break here at wimby. Good for them though)

Serena could a decent shot at the title if she is 100% fit.
She hasn't won USO since 2002.

Tennisation
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:29 PM
in 05 & 07 when Venus won Wimbledon, she lost the US Open to the eventual champion. She could have won the US Open if it wasn't for Kim Clijster who dominated the US Hardcourt Season AND Venus should have won that match in straight sets, she choked. Then in 07, she lost to the best player of the year Justine Henin in a very high quality match. So based on that, my prediction is whoever she loses to at the US Open, that person will go on to win the championship, and if she doesn't loses, well duh, then she's the champion.

wtagg
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Serena

Bruno71
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Venus has the game for it, but has fallen short for a long time now. Still, if she can keep up the level, should be a top fave for the title.

Jankovic may not be in any kind of physical shape. People gloss over it, but a mensicus tear is serious business, and there's no word on how the recovery will go. Doubtful even if healthy though.

Sharapova hasn't looked amazing since Doha, but she obviously can take this title without a huge fuss if Serena & Venus are otherwise taken out and/or not at their best.

Serena is always a favorite, but has been falling short at the summer slams for years. Definitely a favorite, but has to really get things going this time in order to win.

Ivanovic has had her most lackluster progress at the US Open...hasn't made a QF yet. That should change this year, but a win seems like a longshot nonetheless.

Kuznetsova seems to be lacking the requisite fire, and I don't see that changing this year. Then again, she could get another great draw and make the final, and who knows. She's one of the most talented out there.

ASP0315
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:34 PM
in 05 & 07 when Venus won Wimbledon, she lost the US Open to the eventual champion. She could have won the US Open if it wasn't for Kim Clijster who dominated the US Hardcourt Season AND Venus should have won that match in straight sets, she choked. Then in 07, she lost to the best player of the year Justine Henin in a very high quality match. So based on that, my prediction is whoever she loses to at the US Open, that person will go on to win the championship, and if she doesn't loses, well duh, then she's the champion.

100% agreed.

Cp6uja
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:35 PM
TWO BEST USO results since 2004 and current number of votes in this poll (after 100 voters):

VV RU Kuznetsova 0
VV SF Sharapova. 17
SF QF Venus W.... 13
SF QF Jankovic..... 13
QF QF Serena W.. 36
4R 3R Ivanovic..... 13
?? ?? All Others..... 8

:tape: :tape: :lol: :lol::haha:

égalité
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Dementieva :woohoo:

Destiny
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Serena :)

Then Venus :)

Then Maria:)

ASP0315
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Kuznetsova will have a hard time defending her final points from last year.

Golovinjured.
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I'm hoping this is years US Open will be full of upsets and surprises. I'm picking Dementieva, Dokic or Pierce to take the title :lol:

supergrunt
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Jankovic just doesn't seem like she is a GS winner. Maybe I'm wrong.

supergrunt
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I'm picking Serena. :D

Craig.
Jul 6th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Tamarine Tanasugarn.

Cakeisgood
Jul 6th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Sharapova or Serena. For me, there is no other possibility. I love me some Venus, but she ain't taking it.

Apoleb
Jul 6th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I love how people are underestimating Venus. They forgot that had she not ran into a Justine with the form of her life she probably would've won the title.

It's pretty unpredictable and honestly it will all depend on Venus and Serena. If they can live up to their potential, sadly no one can stop them. But in the last few years, this has sort of became a big if.

Cp6uja
Jul 6th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Jankovic just doesn't seem like she is a GS winner. Maybe I'm wrong.She is very good at US Open hardcourts last two seasons and at US Open she have 3rd best performance in 2006 (after Sharapova and Henin) and in 2007 (after Henin and Venus). I think that Jelena is real title contender at every slam except at Wimbledon. She played several slam semis so far and for example lead at USO/06 SF against Henin 6-4 4-2 40-30* or at RG/08 SF against Ivanovic 4-6 6-3 *4-3

I'm picking Serena. :D
You probably dont know one very interesting thing about Williams sister which favorize Venus ahead Serena in New York this year. So far sisters 7 times both compete in same year at Wimbledon and US Open and in all 7 cases so far sister which have more success at Wimbledon two months later have better result at US Open than her sister!

spiritedenergy
Jul 6th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I think the best bets are:

Dementieva: she lost to the eventual champion in AO and W, and lost to finalist, but having match points, in RG. If you think about it it's really impressive.

Serena: she won Miami, which is a good predictor of USO, and reached the final of W.

Ana: she won IW, again a great predictor of USO. She won RG; often who does well at RG does well at USO (Henin 2007 and Pierce 2005 are just few examples).

Kuznetsova: she had great results at USO overall, and she's hungry. She did great at Miami and IW this years, meaning she's ready for it.

Sharapova, JJ and Venus have some possibilities but not great IMHO.

Of those 4, I think Dementieva and Kuznetsova have the best bets (if they can hold their heads together).

ASP0315
Jul 6th, 2008, 01:30 AM
She is very good at US Open hardcourts last two seasons and at US Open she have 3rd best performance in 2006 (after Sharapova and Henin) and in 2007 (after Henin and Venus). I think that Jelena is real title contender at every slam except at Wimbledon. She played several slam semis so far and for example lead at USO/06 SF against Henin 6-4 4-2 40-30* or at RG/08 SF against Ivanovic 4-6 6-3 *4-3!
She is a mentally unfit player and chokes often in Clutch situations. Thats the major reason she hadn't won a slam so far. If she can somehow improve her body language and doesn't panic at crucial stages of the match, then she can be good slam contender. I think she is capble of
winning uso this year but it will all depends on her health.

Tennisstar86
Jul 6th, 2008, 02:06 AM

Dementieva: she lost to the eventual champion in AO and W, and lost to finalist, but having match points, in RG. If you think about it it's really impressive.

Serena: she won Miami, which is a good predictor of USO, and reached the final of W.

Ana: she won IW, again a great predictor of USO. She won RG; often who does well at RG does well at USO (Henin 2007 and Pierce 2005 are just few examples).

Kuznetsova: she had great results at USO overall, and she's hungry. She did great at Miami and IW this years, meaning she's ready for it.

Of those 4, I think Dementieva and Kuznetsova have the best bets (if they can hold their heads together).

I don know... Venus has never lost to anyone outside the top 4 at Wimbledon.... Odd that you pick two people who have never won the slam and 1 person whose never won a slam at all over people who have won it before... and have won GS this year...

Pesi
Jul 6th, 2008, 02:18 AM
if I had to choose one I would like Ivanovic to win, but in my head the favorite is Serena. So I voted her.

azza
Jul 6th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Sam Stosur will

Danči Dementia
Jul 6th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Dementieva!!!!!!!!! :rocker2:

miss_molik
Jul 6th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I think one of WS, but I would so love if it would be JJ. [prays to God]
If not JJ then I hope Serena wins it.
edit. Or Kuzy but her chances are not too big...:unsure:
yeah, ditto. It would be cool if jj won it, but after serena's disappointment yesterday it would be nice for her to win it.

lindsayfan1!
Jul 6th, 2008, 05:54 AM
I love how so many people are confident in Lindsay! :rolleyes:

vwfan
Jul 6th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Serena or Venus.

I hope Venus! ;)

vwfan
Jul 6th, 2008, 06:26 AM

Of those 4, I think Dementieva and Kuznetsova have the best bets (if they can hold their heads together).I don't think you can back up most of what you posted, but you should at least try with some real data and statistics. Otherwise it is all your opinion.

Now if previous success at the tournament is any predictor, it's Serena, Venus and Maria as the favorites. Serena and Venus with two titles each and Maria with one, but the most recent.

Kuzzie should be in the running, but she just isn't (too many players who can beat her).

Dor Y
Jul 6th, 2008, 06:52 AM
going with Serena and then Maria..

Polikarpov
Jul 6th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I'd love to see Ana win, but Serena would be great as well.

spiritedenergy
Jul 6th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I don't think you can back up most of what you posted, but you should at least try with some real data and statistics. Otherwise it is all your opinion.

Now if previous success at the tournament is any predictor, it's Serena, Venus and Maria as the favorites. Serena and Venus with two titles each and Maria with one, but the most recent.

Kuzzie should be in the running, but she just isn't (too many players who can beat her).

For IW:

List of winners:

2007: Hantuchova
2006: Sharapova
2005: Cljisters
2004: Henin
2003: Cljisters
2002: Hantuchova
2001: Serena
2000: Davenport
1999: Serena
1998: Hingis
1997: Davenport
1996: Graf
1995: Fernandez
1994: Graf
1993: Fernandez
1992: Seles
1991: Navratilova
1990: Navratilova
1989: M.Maleeva

Codes: won US Open; finalist; semifinalist; quarterfinalist; GS winner.

Not considering the first 2 years (weak field), 30% of the IW winners has won the US Open in the same year; 65% has reached F; 70 % has reached the SF; 80% has reached the QF.

If we consider only Grand Slam winners, the percentages become respectively: 40% won, 85% reached the F, 90% reached the SF.

Of all the Grand Slam winners who have won IW, only Henin in 2004 (injured) and Davenport (1997) didn't reach the US Open final.

In The Zone
Jul 6th, 2008, 10:08 AM
^^^ Okay, Cp6uja. :lol: :rolls:

I think Serena will win the USO. She'll be TRES pissed and the # 1 is ranking is hers if she can win it ( and playing one or two events in the summer ).