PDA

View Full Version : Who's the third best grass court player of this decade???

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Who's the best player on grass after Venus and Serena??? (Active players only).:)

kwilliams
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Davenport.

Adal
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:09 PM
It's between Mauresmo and Davenport.

Tennisation
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Davenport.I'd have to agree that it's Lindsay. Was thinking about pova cuz she won Wimbledon at only the age of 17, she was only 17 when she won wimbledon, she beat Serena williams when she was only 17, did I mention she was only 17 when she won wimbledon? Now I realized, bitch can't play on grass, she just eats it.

Expat
active players (amelie she has the best game for grass even ahead of venus and serena but her head is another matter altogether)

Craig.
Lindsay.

Don't even say Maria, she's horrendous on grass. :o

hacberto
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Sharapova. She won in 2004 and made the semifinals in 05 and 06 I think she is, But I also like Davenport.

In The Zone
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:13 PM
There was a thread on "why Maria Sharapova is good on grass, it makes no sense". And I argued that it did in fact make no sense. Against a grasscourter, she would lose. Maria needs time to set up her strokes, similar to Ana. As well, she is not good with lower, flat balls. Pure talent alone wills her to victories.

Mauresmo has a title and a few SF. Lindsay has 2 finals, a few SF and some QF. I think I would give it to Lindsay.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I'd have to agree that it's Lindsay. Was thinking about pova cuz she won Wimbledon at only the age of 17, she was only 17 when she won wimbledon, she beat Serena williams when she was only 17, did I mention she was only 17 when she won wimbledon? Now I realized, bitch can't play on grass, she just eats it.

Lindsay.

Don't even say Maria, she's horrendous on grass. :o

But she has won another 2 grass titles in Birmingham.:shrug:

She was good at the early years but she seems playing worse and in fact this year she has the worst results on grass only won 1 match.:tape:

Craig.
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:15 PM
But she has won another 2 grass titles in Birmingham.:shrug:

She was good at the early years but she seems playing worse and in fact this year she has the worst results on grass only won 1 match.:tape:

I know, she's not THAT bad. But her loss this year definitely doesn't make her greater than Lindsay.

KV
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Sharapova

hablo
Davenport and Mauresmo.

supergrunt
:weirdo: WeLl iT ShOUld bE hEnIn, buT iT's vENuS.

In The Zone
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Now that I think of it, if we consider Lindsay greater than Amelie, then we must consider Justine Henin.

Henin has 2 Finals, like Lindsay, and multiple SFs. Add in all the Eastbournes.

Leo_DFP
Definitely Davenport!

Dawn Marie
Lindsay Davenport. Amelie Mauresmo and Justine Henin.

Sharapova and Birmingham is okay but their isn't much competition. I look at WHO players have beaten on grass. Lindsay is the next one and imho Henin is up there also.

LindsayRulz
It has to be Lindsay for the moment, Maria may passes Lindsay in the furure though.

Tennisation
It's going to be Navratilova, she's comming back to the tour next year............again, mark my words.

LindsayRulz
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Now that I think of it, if we consider Lindsay greater than Amelie, then we must consider Justine Henin.

Active players only ;)

hankqq
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I know, she's not THAT bad. But her loss this year definitely doesn't make her greater than Lindsay.

cheer up Masharific! Remember the girl who beat Sharapova this year almost beat Venus last year, and in 2004, Venus also lost in the 2nd rd of Wimbledon. While I think Mauresmo and Davenport are better grass players than Sharapova, Sharapova is one of the better grass courters in this decade for sure.

Henin (I know she's not an active player) is also great on grass.

Including the Williams sisters, these 6 have dominated Wimbledon for the last decade.

DownTheLine21
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Davenport.

moby
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:22 PM
There was a thread on "why Maria Sharapova is good on grass, it makes no sense". And I argued that it did in fact make no sense. Against a grasscourter, she would lose. Maria needs time to set up her strokes, similar to Ana. As well, she is not good with lower, flat balls. Pure talent alone wills her to victories.
I disagree. Maria is much better at quick rallies than Ana; she does pretty well with low, flat balls too; in fact, they have very different games.

However, it will be very hard for Maria to win Wimbledon now because she's changed the kind of shots coming off her racket. In 2004, when she won Wimbledon, she hit very flat and went for broke on almost every shot. That of course, is a very risky game, and rarely worked off grass. She wound up with a lacklustre summer. Near the end of 2004 (in the off season) she adopted a consistent grinding baselining game, which paid dividends in her hard court game against the majority of her opponents, but at the expense of the grass court one - her shots sit up on (the slower) grass now. Interestingly, she's also not beaten Serena since.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:24 PM

I have stated only active players in the first post.;)

moby
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I have stated only active players in the first post.;)You should have included retired players.

I'd like to see how others rank Ju amongst the like of Amelie and Maria. Personally, I'd rank her ahead of them. :)

For the active players, Amelie edges out Lindsay for me with her Wimbledon title. Amelie was scary good on grass at her best; she was practically a brick wall at the net - and she was there a lot - and her defensive slice was very difficult to attack. And don't get me started on her slice serve halfway up the box on the deuce court.

The Daviator
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:32 PM
The last person to take a set off Venus on Centre Court is L. Davenport, so her :p

morbidangle
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Probably Maria or Amelie, coz Lindsay's title was in the last decade.
I still voted for Lindsay coz I am biased! ;)

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:36 PM
You should have include retired players.

I'd like to see how others rank Ju amongst the like of Amelie and Maria. Personally, I'd rank her ahead of them. :)

Yeah. I know.:o Sorry to the Justine fans then.:hug: ;)

Sexysova
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Vaidisova when she's ON :p

no.. really.. Davenport..

terjw
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Lindsay

Alla Luce
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:11 PM
In terms of their record on grass

1. Venus Williams
2. Serena Williams
3. Mariah Sharapova
4. Amelie Mauresmo
5. Lindsay Davenport/ Justine Henin

danieln1
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Obviously Davenport, followed closely by Mauresmo

supergrunt
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:16 PM
oops

Dave.
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Lindsay. She's had some really close matches with peak Venus on grass. Lindsay has actually been the most consistent player at Wimbledon this decade.

Henin also lost 1R twice. Davenport has not lost before the QF at Wimbledon since 1997. Davenport >>> Henin on grass this decade.

faboozadoo15
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I disagree. Maria is much better at quick rallies than Ana; she does pretty well with low, flat balls too; in fact, they have very different games.

However, it will be very hard for Maria to win Wimbledon now because she's changed the kind of shots coming off her racket. In 2004, when she won Wimbledon, she hit very flat and went for broke on almost every shot. That of course, is a very risky game, and rarely worked off grass. She wound up with a lacklustre summer. Near the end of 2004 (in the off season) she adopted a consistent grinding baselining game, which paid dividends in her hard court game against the majority of her opponents, but at the expense of the grass court one - her shots sit up on (the slower) grass now. Interestingly, she's also not beaten Serena since.

Really good analysis. At the end of the day, she is the type of player who struggles with the clay to grass surface change. The way she won Wimbledon is a bran of tennis she's certainly capable of, but it's one she's nt used inforever. Such quick, ferocious shots up the line were what won her the title. Waqtching her match against Alla, she was almost completely going crosscourt and giving Alla WAY too much time.

tim2502
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Lindsay! She has the big serve and big forehand.

Hugo24
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Mauresmo

Calypso
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Lindsay. If not for all those losses to Venus, she would be a multiple Wimbledon winner.

Craig.
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:40 PM
cheer up Masharific! Remember the girl who beat Sharapova this year almost beat Venus last year, and in 2004, Venus also lost in the 2nd rd of Wimbledon. While I think Mauresmo and Davenport are better grass players than Sharapova, Sharapova is one of the better grass courters in this decade for sure.

Henin (I know she's not an active player) is also great on grass.

Including the Williams sisters, these 6 have dominated Wimbledon for the last decade.

True.

Thanks for that :hug:

Nicolás89
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Davenport. Mauresmo is fourth.

AnomyBC
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Davenport would be next after the Williams sisters, but I'd give Sharapova 4th over Mauresmo.

sammy01
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:47 PM
i'd go for momo just considering her record, though davenport is a close 2nd!

Dinayer
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Momo :worship:

Elldee
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I think Davenport defeats Mauresmo 6-7 7-6 6-4 says it all - there's a fine line between the two. Lindsay played a great tournament in 05 and beat a player [Clijster] that she couldn't beat on other surfaces because she is that good on grass and exploits it. I think it's a shame we never got Lindsay/Serena at wimbledon.

Mauresmo has a title and a few SF. Lindsay has 2 finals, a few SF and some QF. I think I would give it to Lindsay.

You know Lindsay won the title, right?

vadin124
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:59 PM
probably Marion, even though I voted Lindsay

thrust
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Bartoli, Ivanovic, Elena, Jankovic- You cannot be serious, They have done nothing on grass! I suppose Lindsay in that she has one Wimbledon title and another 2 finals. Amelie has a title as does Maria. Justine has no title, but has 2 Eastbourne wins and 2 Wimbledon finals. Grass- Venus, Clay- Justine, Hard- ?

Apoleb
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:06 PM
probably Marion, even though I voted Lindsay

*dead*

Dangerously delusional fan alert.

égalité
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Lindsay, for active players.

But even though she didn't win Wimbledon, I'd put Henin above all the players on this list.

shirley
Jul 6th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Lindsay Davenport

Dodoboy.
Jul 6th, 2008, 11:24 AM
we never got to see Maria v Henin on grass :sad:

Elwin.
Jul 6th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Lindsay

smokovec
Jul 6th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Davenport is better in terms of results, but I vote for Mauresmo, I think she have a better game for grass than Lindsay (but not a big difference).

In The Zone
Jul 6th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I think Davenport defeats Mauresmo 6-7 7-6 6-4 says it all - there's a fine line between the two. Lindsay played a great tournament in 05 and beat a player [Clijster] that she couldn't beat on other surfaces because she is that good on grass and exploits it. I think it's a shame we never got Lindsay/Serena at wimbledon.

You know Lindsay won the title, right?

Lindsay won the title in 1999. Not this decade. ;)

Lunaris
Jul 6th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Define me a grass court player, because nowadays when everyone plays monotonous hardcourt game I really struggle to see how anyone could be titled a grass court player. Maybe Mauresmo.

If you asked who has the 3rd best results on grass, then perhaps.