PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with Serena today..

vma
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I think Venus played at her normal level. But what the hell happened to Serena, I can't recall having seen her playing so passively. She seemed not to believe in her shots today.

comfortably.numb
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:06 PM
She played how she played against Justine all last year. Started off strong and fell off in a big way. Definitely disappointing.

vwfan
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:07 PM
She came out blasting, but started to lose confidence as the match progressed. Venus is tough to face on grass, so. . .

Warrior
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Venus was just a better player today.

heyitsme
Serena needs a sports psychologist....she's not the mental giant she used to be...not even a little bit.

tennisbear7
She hit 19 winners in the first set, to 6 unforced errors. AND SHE STILL LOST THE SET.

Well done Venus.

Tennisation
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:10 PM
She looked so good at the start of the match, I was scared for Venus:scared:.......then she looked in her notebook and found a note from Richard "it's a family decision that Venus wins this time"

comfortably.numb
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Serena needs a sports psychologist....she's not the mental giant she used to be...not even a little bit.
Agree. Been saying that for a while now.

Adal
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:12 PM
She played very well from the start, but then suddenly Venus started playing really well and she kinda went down.

So Disrespectful
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I hate watching Serena play like this. She either loops her forehand or pulls off it. If you watched her in the second set for the first time today, you wouldn't think she was a power player.

starin
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:19 PM
yeah iono what happened there. She was hitting so hard and so cleanly and then all of a sudden at 43 she started guiding the ball in the court and Venus took charge from then on. Also her serve suddenly went away as well.

silverwhite
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Everything I want to say has been said. Started well, then got tight and stopped going for her shots. Serve went AWOL as well.

Tennisation
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I think when she was hitting it hard, she was missing, and so she started to just put the balls into play and not go for too much, she just lost confidence in her shots.

blamoh
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Only one time Venus failed to defend her tittle at wimbledon and that in
2005. The record shew she was going to do it today. 2000-2001 and 2007-2008.
serena was playing the best player on grass on wta tour right now.

Avid Merrion
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:24 PM
yeah, Serena seemed to get really down on herself halfway through the first set for whatever reason and just never recovered from it.
oh well, you can tell from the look on her face that she's not enjoying being the losing sister at a Wimbledon final, so hopefully she'll use that for the next time ;)

LDF
Everything I want to say has been said. Started well, then got tight and stopped going for her shots. Serve went AWOL as well.

Exactly. Serena became pretty tentative towards the end of the first set and she never regained the confidence on her strokes that she exuded at the start of the match.

Cp6uja
Serena is way more close to win this title than we see from result. I'm so sure that Venus (b/c fitness) have poor chances in 3rd set against sister, so Serena just need to win one set for whole match - and her BP convertation (2 out of 13) is most tragic at 4-4 in first set where she have at 2BP two easy balls to win point and serve for set (for match and championship if you ask me) - but waste both opportunities.

So she is so close to beat true "Grass Queen" Venus which won here last 22 sets in the row... so dont tell me that Serena todays performances is bad. She prove again that she is better player than big sister - but not at grass!

Stamp Paid
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Venus started serving waaaaay better and she found a way back. Serena naturally ws forced to let up a bit when she didnt have that immediate advantage on the return.

Destiny
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:26 PM
The first two games scared the hell out of me and also made me feel so thrilled

She played great

venusdemilo
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Serena lost this match because she didn't convert on her break point chances, and Venus converted on hers. That was the difference, pure and simple.

Thanx4nothin
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:28 PM
She went off a little but like Macenroe said it was almost a classic, such high quality!

delicatecutter
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Serena really dropped the ball in this match. She's not the player she used to be. :sad:

V's a star
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Theres absolutely nothing to be disappointed about 32 WINNERS and only 11 ERRORS. Which is a much better stat from Serena even better then in her prime in the finals

Zoeki
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:29 PM
She was prevented by the high wind.

vwfan
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:30 PM
She looked so good at the start of the match, I was scared for Venus:scared:.......then she looked in her notebook and found a note from Richard "it's a family decision that Venus wins this time"
Not! Serena wanted this one bad!

Nice try.

Oneofakind0490
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Yeah I was quiet sad on how the match changed. Serena was just playing so good:(

I just having a feeling Serena is gonna want revenge and go on a tear on the hard courts which is her best surface.

starin
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Serena really needs to focus on channeling the level of play she had at the beginning. That was unbelievably high. If she can play like that or even like 80% of that she can dominate the field. She really got nervous at 43 and started missing serve and guiding her groundstrokes. I really hope she improves on what she did in the 1st and jsut forgets about her play in the 2nd.

Also, she needs to get her nerves and her emotions in check. Or channel them in a positive way, cuz in this match she let her negative emotions and her nerves completely bring her game down.

pov
?? This analysis is strange. If she was playing so much better in the beginning and it made so much of a difference then how come she was never up in games at any time in the match?

Tennisation
Serena did not play bad at all, 32 winners to 11 errors! She still lost to Venus in straight sets:unsure:

SV_Fan
I think Serena is still the mental giant. She has proved this and last year. But what I think is that the negative serena cam back. She was thinking about previous points. So if Serena can get her short memory back then she'll destroy everyone and everything.

AkademiQ
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Theres absolutely nothing to be disappointed about 32 WINNERS and only 11 ERRORS. Which is a much better stat from Serena even better then in her prime in the finals

The ultimate goal is for a win next to Serena's name. That's disappointment enough right now.

Nobody's Perfecc
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I can't even express how disappointed I am at Serena. It would have a great answer to the critics, beating the multiple-time Wimbledon champion and winning a grand slam outside of Australia. She started off so well. I would have been less disappointed had she played terrible the whole match. Actually I wish Venus just beat her 6-0,6-0. That would be less heartbreaking.:hysteric: :lol:

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I think the wind also was a factor in her confidence too...she started making errors..venus is more comfortable on grass than Serena..so she was going for hers and making them. Serena really hates to loose man lol I was happy for Venus and sad for her..but I know they love each other..Serena will have her chance to win...if she stay fit she should win the Olympics and US open

sky20748
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:36 PM
by no means did serena give this to venus.serena wanted this with a passion.but i am so glad venus won.she really wanted this.such a shame that one had to go home without the trophy.but i would not call her a loser hell she made it to the final.now venus has beat 2 quality players.#5+6 now what

kwilliams
I think she played well, her serve was great but she didn't have much to sink her teeth into. There weren't that many meaty rallies. There were some great rallies but few were very long. I think part of the reason Serena didn't do so well was because she couldn't get as angry/pumped up as she usually does.

Venus on the other hand kept her head together superbly throughout the match. I didn't expect that from her and that's what I'm most proud of today!

blamoh
Today Venus left that big sister looking after small sister business at home.
Do you know how many grandslams this girl had taken from Venus and she
sit quietly and did nothing. five in all. That is Venus 12 grandslams right
there.
Nobody had beaten Venus in the finals at wimbledon save serena. How far
could someone go to realize that Venus deserves this win today and more in the future. She is just good here. Even serena should admit that.

SV_Fan
I think that Serena and Venus from 02' and 03' will comeback and they will change the game once again.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I was convinced that Serena would come out and give an amazing performance. She started off so well and I thought she was gonna win and play great doing it. Then she just got down and tried to just place the ball. Add to that the fact that it seemed like Venus was getting everything back and hardly missing, it was just too hard for Serena.

Definitely disappointed with that final service game :( Those two forehands, one long and one in the net :sad:

bandabou
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Hmmm...only disappointing thing was her play on all those bp's.. For the rest they played well.

Tennisation
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:40 PM
From the very beginning, we knew that Serena has to depend on her serve to win the match. Look where Venus stands when returing Serena's FIRST seve, well inside the baseline. No one does that to Serena's serve, NO ONE. Serena definitely did not win free as many free points from her serve as she would like. She did not play bad at all, 32 winners to 11 errors is not something to have a dig at.

hacberto
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:44 PM
When Serena started to play the match the way she did I was sure she'll be the winner.

She really lost confidence after the first set and I think what happened was her footwork, she wasn't even moving her legs.

But this was a good match. More entertaining than Australia and France

manu32
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:44 PM
sorry for serena....her potential is superior but big sis was very solid and lucky...

great match,the best beetween sisters

and USO for serena
congrats venus

The Daviator
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:45 PM
She needs to work on her footwork big time, Venus' was impeccable, that was the difference IMO.

AcesHigh
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:52 PM
WTF do you want? The main reason Serena was so dominant in the beginning was because Venus started off terribly like she usually does. My main disappointment with Serena was in the second set. In the first, she maintained a high level of play and her serve was VERY GOOD today. How many jams did she get out of with perfect aces on the lines??

The biggest issue to me was her attitude and possibly her footwork/movement. She can't get down on herself so much when things aren't going right and she can't show it so outwardly. She seemed so down in the second set. Things just went downhill and it was only a matter of time before Venus broke serve.

That being said, she was just outplayed today by the greatest grasscourt player of this generation. Serena hasn't been in this situation at Wimbledon in a while. Venus, on the other hand, knew what she had to do to win and IMO, the win was never in doubt. I was worried as a fan, but I really believed that she could pull whatever she needed out of a hat. Her return game was on, her second serve was working well, and she was faster and quicker than Serena with better footwork.

Fans are just going to have to get used to this high % play from Serena b/c that's how she's going to be against players she can't dictate against.

V's a star
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Serena did not play bad at all, 32 winners to 11 errors! She still lost to Venus in straight sets:unsure:

its the facts

AcesHigh
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Btw, SErena made more than 11 errors.

Stamp Paid
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I just dont know how Serena is going to get out of this hole that her compromised movement has put her in...Thats the reason why justine beat her so much last year, and the reason why Venus was so primed to beat her today. What can she do?

darrinbaker00
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I think Venus played at her normal level. But what the hell happened to Serena, I can't recall having seen her playing so passively. She seemed not to believe in her shots today.
Nonsense, nonsense, and more nonsense. If Serena had played anyone else today the way she played against Venus, she would have won her third Wimbledon. Wrong day, wrong opponent. Period.

Rex59
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:10 PM
[QUOTE=Tennisation;13566924]She looked so good at the start of the match, I was scared for Venus:scared:.......then she looked in her notebook and found a note from Richard "it's a family decision that Venus wins this time"[/QUOTE

That's nonsense, but funny: lol:

darrinbaker00
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Btw, SErena made more than 11 errors.
I think they both made more unforced errors than they were given credit for. The stat people at Wimbledon are much more lenient than their counterparts at Roland Garros.

venus_rulez
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Nonsense, nonsense, and more nonsense. If Serena had played anyone else today the way she played against Venus, she would have won her third Wimbledon. Wrong day, wrong opponent. Period.

Exactly, Venus is the only person that can handle a Serena playing well. Serena started off playing like she did in Australia 07, except that Venus is a much better player than Sharapova and so knew that she could hang in there and still get free points on her serve and with her movement. Serena doubted herself because Venus played Serena the way she plays everyone else. Venus has that belief on grass that the only person who can beat her is herself.

darrinbaker00
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Hmmm...only disappointing thing was her play on all those bp's.. For the rest they played well.
That lanky woman on the other side of the net had a lot to do with Serena not converting those break points, you know. She's pretty good on grass. ;)

rwn
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Venus was mentally much tougher in this match than Serena. It happens, so it's better to accept it than whine about it.

Rex59
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:17 PM
She came out blasting, but started to lose confidence as the match progressed. Venus is tough to face on grass, so. . .

I don't understand it either, because in the first two games she displayed perfect tennis, killing Venus' lst serves and hitting winners on her ground shots. She exploited everything Venus gave. Then, suddenly, her game drops off the map. Venus wasn't playing that extremely well, where Serena couldn't maintain her own service game and counter what Venus was offering. Doesn't make much sense. Guess we'll never know what was on Serena's mind during the game to understand why.

Rex59
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I think they both made more unforced errors than they were given credit for. The stat people at Wimbledon are much more lenient than their counterparts at Roland Garros.

Agreed. The errors were understated. Both players made a load of UFEs towards the end of the lst set and throughout the 2nd.

venus_rulez
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I don't understand it either, because in the first two games she displayed perfect tennis, killing Venus' lst serves and hitting winners on her ground shots. She exploited everything Venus gave. Then, suddenly, her game drops off the map. Venus wasn't playing that extremely well, where Serena couldn't maintain her own service game and counter what Venus was offering. Doesn't make much sense. Guess we'll never know what was on Serena's mind during the game to understand why.

WHat don't you understand? Venus always starts off slow and almost always gets broken or faces a break point in the first game. But she is a better volleyer, has a bigger serve, and is the better mover. That's what you need on grass to be successful and she played those 3 things to near the top of her ability, that's why Serena's game "fell off the map" As good as she is, she can't deal with Venus' best on grass.

Rocketta
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:32 PM
nothing to be disappointed about they both played well. Venus played the bigger points better this time. :shrug:

Chance
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I just dont know how Serena is going to get out of this hole that her compromised movement has put her in...Thats the reason why justine beat her so much last year, and the reason why Venus was so primed to beat her today. What can she do?
I agree about the movement.
Personally I think Rena can move a lil faster than she did here, maybe not as fast as 2002 but if Rena can change her attitude... I was reading her interview (from the 4th round) and it sounded like Rena doesn't want to move...
Q. Does it feel more hemmed in? Do you feel you have the latitude to run and reach as you would on the show courts?

SERENA WILLIAMS: There's obviously more room on the show courts. But I think that I had a lot of room today to run and to spread out. And hopefully I'm not doing that much running.

If Serena can improve can also improve her footwork and control her nerves, I'm sure Rena will return to her GS winning ways...
Also, remember there arn't many great players who have great movement and have aggressive games as well...

Becool
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I thought serena was going to destroy Venus at first!

then she began going downhill..

she even had chances of breakin venus' serve..

oh well

gmokb
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I am not the least bit disappointed about it, she played well Venus just played better. Serena would be collecting her 3rd shield had it been another player, did you see some of the returns Venus was making? Yes, she did look like a different player in the 2nd set, couldn't really shake off the 1st set loss but its not like she was playing a bunch of errors. Right throught out the competition Venus was able to defeat her opponents by saving bps and she continue to do so today. Serena has nothing to be ashamed of, sad yes as she wanted to win but nothing t be ashamed of. It was a good match from both players!!!!!!!!!

TSequoia01
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:40 PM
If anyone watched their 02-03 matches, it is very obvious why Serena lost. First she can no longer hit out and get the ball over the net and in between the lines. She can no longer flatten out her shots, she must spin the ball in which gives her oponents time to recover. Her inability to hit out has her hitting 75 percent with a lot of topspin while Venus would rip the ball placing Serena on defense. Second, there was a time when Serena needed a point against Venus she only had to hit it to her forehand. No longer the case. Venus's forehand is now quite formidable. Third, Serena is quite a big girl for a tennis player. She now gives up quickness and speed to Venus while it used to be only height and reach.
Lastly, if you based their style of play on age, Serena would be the elder in their matches. Venus is more athletic and has the younger game. Serena now really is the older player. She tries to win with guile, a big serve, and big return. Very little ground game. Venus moves incredibly,and likes to run. Venus consistently hits harder, and expends tons of energy.
Simply put, Venus is now the better player although it is close.

bandabou
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I don't even think it was her movement...she tracked some balls down, it's just Venus is tough tough on grass.

bandabou
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:46 PM
If anyone watched their 02-03 matches, it is very obvious why Serena lost. First she can no longer hit out and get the ball over the net and in between the lines. She can no longer flatten out her shots, she must spin the ball in which gives her oponents time to recover. Her inability to hit out has her hitting 75 percent with a lot of topspin while Venus would rip the ball placing Serena on defense. Second, there was a time when Serena needed a point against Venus she only had to hit it to her forehand. No longer the case. Venus's forehand is now quite formidable. Third, Serena is quite a big girl for a tennis player. She now gives up quickness and speed to Venus while it used to be only height and reach.
Lastly, if you based their style of play on age, Serena would be the elder in their matches. Venus is more athletic and has the younger game. Serena now really is the older player. She tries to win with guile, a big serve, and big return. Very little ground game. Venus moves incredibly,and likes to run. Venus consistently hits harder, and expends tons of energy.

Hmm..don't quite agree. Serena had her share of winners off the ground as well. It's just that some of her misses came it crucial points. e.g.: that weak volley she hit on bp for double break in the 1st set...

Gave Venus confidence.

TSequoia01
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Hmm..don't quite agree. Serena had her share of winners off the ground as well. It's just that some of her misses came it crucial points. e.g.: that weak volley she hit on bp for double break in the 1st set...

Gave Venus confidence.
Don't forget now I am comparing now with 02-03. Serena is still one formidable player, but if I had to say who has improved since then..it would be Venus, ....who has gone down.....it would be Serena.......If I asked the biggest question who has aged the most......who would you say it is?

starin
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Gave Venus confidence.

she def. took some pace off her groundies in the 2nd. actually at 43 I really noticed how all of sudden Serena was guiding her shots in. While before she was slamming them in to the corners. Anyways I'm glad Venus won cuz that 1-5 in slam finals and 0-2 in Wimbledon finals was abysmal and kind of sad. So I think its good she finally got a win. I just hope that Serena improves off this form. She was unplayable for the first 4-5 games. She just needs to start playing more like that and stay positive. Anyways I'm just hoping for bigger and better things from Serena.

Noctis
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:02 PM
She is been too passive,After she lost her lead and let Venus back in,Los her serve.
Thats the reason,she usually so good at Mentally,But no today,Because her opponenet's name is Venus Williams her big sister,the one who love her more than anyone else,Thats the reason she lost.

Black Mamba.
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I don't think anyone could have beaten Vee today. The shots Rena hit would've been winners against any other player but Vee was on point today with her movement and she played consistently well the entire match. If you would've told me before the match that Rena would have 32 winners to 11 unforced I would saw that she would beat down any other player with those stats other than Venus.

Svetlana.
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Serena, reminds me Roddick at times - they both relay on their first serve most of the time. And when a first serve goes down the hall game goes down as well.

azinna
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Serena really needs to focus on channeling the level of play she had at the beginning. That was unbelievably high. If she can play like that or even like 80% of that she can dominate the field....

Unbelievably high is right. It would have been hard for Serena to maintain the level of the first 4 games for an entire set or match, regardless of her opponent's play. Pretty near impossible to do so once Venus started serving and playing better. That's not how she won Wimbledon 02 & 03. Too high risk. 80% on each shot, with spin and placement, is the way to go. She's forgotten how to get that balance in big matches, but if she stays healthy and committed she'll get that back.

Also needs to improve her movement; no way around that. She's mediocre on defense (see 2nd serve points won); which both puts pressure on her and allows her opponents some breathing room. If she doesn't improve this aspect of her game, Venus will do to her what Justine started doing last year.

Emina.
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Serena :hug: great tourney anyways :cool::yeah:

50Sense
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I think the story of Serena's losses in recent history (I'm thinking AO QF, French, and now Wimbledon) are her poor BP conversion rates.

Serena didn't play poorly at all; she probably played a higher quality first set than Venus. But it came down to the big points (break points) and Venus was way better.

danieln1
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Her forehand was a total mess! But Venus played really well also, Serena was totally out of sorts today unfortunately

50Sense
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:17 PM

I'm not trying to put a damper on Venus' win, but I still wouldn't argue she's the better player at this moment in time. She's certainly the better grasscourt player. But how often are we going to see Venus play this quality on surfaces other than grass? I hope she can, but recent history says probably not. I would say Serena is by far the more consistent of the two in terms of quality play, even with this loss.

Serena is 31-4 on the year, 3 titles. Her best first half of the year since 2003. The fact that she's so upset at this loss bodes well for her for the remainder of the year, IMO.

Dodoboy.
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:21 PM
As many have said already.

On grass Venus is too good./

Calypso
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:25 PM
She couldn't keep up the level she had at the start of the match. That was absolutely crazy stuff, how do you regularly hit clean winners off Venus' 1st serve, and hit winners at will from far behind the baseline? Not even 'peak Serena' did that. Once her level came back to normal, and Venus got the break, her belief started to slip. Meanwhile, Venus had the upperhand in most of the long rallies, and when Serena's serve dropped off, that was the beginning of the end. Yet she still managed 67% first serves in.

I was disappointed with her mental game. You don't expect an 8-time GS Champ to let her guard down the way she did. And all the time your opponent is watching your body language and waiting to pounce on any signs of weakness...

It was kinda similar to how Davenport faded away in her 2005 Australian Open Final against Serena.

Apoleb
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:28 PM
, how do you regularly hit clean winners off Venus' 1st serve

She completely reads Venus' serve and knows exactly where it's going. She prepares early for her shots. I wish she could reveal the secrets for the rest of the tour. :devil: Venus managed to get around that by hitting fast and straight at the body.

Anyways, Serena's big problem has always been movement and footwork. And it will be exposed more on grass. Am I the only one who thinks she gained some weight since Miami and Berlin? She looked slimmer and fitter there.

starin
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:30 PM
She completely reads Venus' serve and knows exactly where it's going. She prepares early for her shots. I wish she could reveal the secrets for the rest of the tour. :devil: Venus managed to get around that by hitting fast and straight at the body.

Anyways, Serena's big problem has always been movement and footwork. And it will be exposed more on grass. Am I the only one who thinks she gained some weight since Miami and Berlin? She looked slimmer and fitter there.

she has a little. but i think she's starting to bring back her fitness a little bit and tone a little bit more this tournament. She was moving better in the final and looked a little fitter than she had earlier and at RG.

Dodoboy.
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I was thinking the same thing!

The whole tour should have been watching how Serena handled Vee's 1'st serve.

Nobody's Perfecc
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:41 PM
You can't look at the first 3-4 games and tell me that Serena can't hit as well as back in 2002 and 2003. She was demonstrating some monstrous shots in the beginning. I think Venus was surprised that Serena came out firing like that as they're both usually slow starters. She even surprised me with how well her footwork was and how well she was moving. The big difference now is that instead of hitting through a funk, she lets off the ball and starts hitting passively. Of course with an opponent as great as Venus, that will just not work.

Garnet
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I'm also disappointed with Serena's performance today. Yet, we shall agree there isn't much you can do when you're facing 122-124-129-mile serves and even a second serve ace. Better luck next time, Serena.

saniapower
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:56 PM
too many unforced errors :silly:

Direwolf
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I think that Serena should
tell herself that
Venus is not Sharapova...
when...
even at Sharapovas best...
she still wont beat Serena at her
almost best

terjw
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:14 PM

:lol::lol: Very good. As someone else said - nonsense but funny.

Calypso
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:20 PM

Do not reveal that, Rena:lol:!

Agree, Serena's movement definitely was a factor in her defeat today. Serena of 02/03 was a bit faster. If she got slimmer, it wouldn't do her any harm.

Black Mamba.
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:22 PM
To be quite honest about the movement I don't think Serena will ever be the mover she was after that knee injury. Anyone that has had knee surgery before know that no matter how fit you are sometimes you don't regain what you had.

najad
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:29 PM
i'm so happy:bounce:
i was afraid in the first 2 games , i really thought that rena was going to destroy vee but then vee started to play and stay focused!
i'm so glad and proud ! it was a good match , with great points.
again

congrats venus :bounce::bounce::bounce:

LightWarrior
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Her tennis is there,since she won '07 AO. Her problem is mental, she needs to see a therapist or do some yoga. Seriously. She was totally subdued after a few games today. What a waste.

alfonsojose
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Serena :awww:

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:02 PM

While I don't think Serena played her BEST level, you must give Vee more credit than that. Venus was just too good today.

She neutralized most of Serena's assets, 2nd serve, movement, etc, etc. Serena started pushing the ball because Vee's court coverage was making her go for too much, producing errors. Instead of continuing to go for her shots, she began to push. Serena gave some points away too, but that's only because Vee beat her down MENTALLY- she got between Serena's ears.

Noctis
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Stop posting in this thread and get over it...

hacberto
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Serena looks so happy, well she looked so happy in the doubles final the way she opened her arms in joy to give sister Venus a hug was just too adorable

azinna
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Folks should watch or recall their US Open 2001 final for a very similar match and dynamic; even the start for Serena was about the same. She can't be that aggressive and expect to win against Venus.

And yes, Serena's gained weight since March/April. Which has affected her mobility/movement. At times, when she's in the zone, she can compensate for it with anticipation, preparation and footwork. But even earlier in the year she was able to give herself more options from defensive positions. There were moments today when I recognized Venus playing her like she does Davenport: hitting at 75-80% but patiently moving the ball around, knowing that the right opportunity (or error) would present itself.

But this is just placating stuff for hardcore Serena fans. Venus served and played much better today than in their previous Wimbledon finals. After the first 4 games, she was more consistently powerful and effective than I had ever seen her in a Wimbledon final (barring Bartoli, who wasn't a high quality opponent). That's too tough.

xr6turbo
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Serena is way more close to win this title than we see from result. I'm so sure that Venus (b/c fitness) have poor chances in 3rd set against sister, so Serena just need to win one set for whole match - and her BP convertation (2 out of 13) is most tragic at 4-4 in first set where she have at 2BP two easy balls to win point and serve for set (for match and championship if you ask me) - but waste both opportunities.

So she is so close to beat true "Grass Queen" Venus which won here last 22 sets in the row... so dont tell me that Serena todays performances is bad. She prove again that she is better player than big sister - but not at grass!

wtf...... :lol: :o

bandabou
Jul 6th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Serena looks so happy, well she looked so happy in the doubles final the way she opened her arms in joy to give sister Venus a hug was just too adorable

true dat!