I am soo happy.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Venus :yeah:

hablo
Never been more happy to see Venus win a title. :drool:

So happy! Well done!! :bowdown:

(Did she forget to shake the umpire's hand though ? :lol: )

Fire_Fox
Venus :banana:

I adore her! :)

DownTheLine21
This was a very entertaining and high-quality match. Venus played amazingly well, and her serve was on fire.

Mikey.
Wow that was pretty amazing. Go Venus :) Too bad Serena couldn't keep up her perfect form throughout the entire match :tears:

eck
Venus deserved it.
Hung in tough when it matters.

Serena started strong and then Errorena appeared.

tennisbear7
Thanks venus.

Well done Serena.

Fan_of_Venus
Yes! Yes! Congratulations Venus. I wanted you to so win. Sorry Serena. I love you too.

azinna
Yessssssssss!!!

That was devastating play. Venus really played like she wanted it. And that allowed her best qualities to come out: more consistency with her power, more agile defense, better net game, better at improvising off of odd shots. Also served the smartest I've seen.

Serena was somewhat undone by her stellar play at the beginning. You can't keep that up; not when you're playing an in-form Venus (instead of Maria). She needed to give herself more margin for error while also imposing her game. She couldn't find that balance, in part because she hasn't had to against this level of competition in enough big matches. She'll be good to go come the USOpen if she gets herself in a couple more finals and gets used to having to do this.

Also: while Serena's 2nd serve is "better" than Venus', the older sister's prep, recovery and ground-stroke after her 2nd serve is miles better. Result: Serena needed to go for more on the 2nd serve return to get and keep her sister on the defense....

FORZA SARITA
Queen Venus:worship:

comfortably.numb
Congrats Venus.
Serena well, yeah. That was a horrible match for you. What can I say? Your play fell in a big way. Better luck next time.

Dave.
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Great match. Venus was solid right the way through and had that look in her eyes. Serena never got into it after the start and was always looking annoyed/unhappy on court.

tennisbear7
I'm so happy. :'(

Lolo8
Serena should retire.

anon57
Congrats with the title Venus, after a slow start she played very well. Fifth Wimbledon title:worship:
Serena seemed a bit flat though after a very strong start.

Cilla
Venus :yeah:

Kworb
Well that was exceptionally boring :zzz:

Congrats Venus :yeah:

Their doubles match later today should be more exciting.

jonnyroyale_13
Great match! Congrats Vee:)

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Venus :woohoo: I'm happy for you, I'm really glad you won it :inlove: Successful title defense, awesome!

FERLKE
Congrats!:kiss::worship:

AndreConrad
Venus congrats :hatoff:

hablo
High quality.

My favourite final between the two. ;)

young_gunner913
Venus :sobbing: Serena :sobbing: Hugs all around. :hug::smooch:

Avid Merrion
:worship: congrats Venus, 5 Wimbledon titles, baby!! :D

:hug: Serena, Venus was just too good today.

ghost world
WOW!!! I'm way too emotionally invested in these women. I mean, I actually feel like crying.

young_gunner913
Venus :sobbing::hearts::worship: Serena :sobbing: Hugs all around. :hug::smooch:

Craig.
VAMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! I love you, Vee. She was on fire. CONGRATS!!!! :bounce: :hearts:

Serena sucked.

Zoeki
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Venus may have more experiences to deal with the high wind.

eck
Let's not forget that Venus won this without dropping a set. ;)

OMG Serena looked like she could take the plate and throw it to the ground. :lol:

Ben.
:woohoo: SHE DID IT :bounce: :bounce: Title No.5, finally she got one back over Serena.

Im lost for words :sobbing: :D
Venus just played amazing tennis & was more steadier in the end.

Commiserations to Serena :hug: she played well, just dropped her level a bit in the end.

Good quality final :yeah:

cellophane
Awww Serena :( I'm disappointed with her play after the first 4 games.

Congrats Venus... well done on your 5th title. :)

kiwifan
Well done Venus. :cool:

I thought Serena was going to be all over her in the beginning; but Vee toughed it out. :yippee:

Slumpsova
Serena :sad:
you were tooo tight today. had you were more relaxed, you would win over her :( let Venus enjoys her title anyway. she is 28 now :ras:

joăo.
Congrats, Venus! :)

Hashim.
Venus:woohoo::banana:

Serena:hug:

ElusiveChanteuse
Venus :worship:
Serena :hug:

debopero
:D :tears:

Stamp Paid
I am not even mad, Venus is just a beast on this grass. Well played and well deserved! I thought I would be mad but the return of my normal blood pressure has calmed me, Im just glad its over.

Serena - you still got the Olympics and the US Open to go for it

Apoleb
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Match started exceptionally well, but it turned out as the usuall error fest between them. Still, the conditions were very bad so they are excused.

Venus' serve wasn't exactly quite there, but she was very solid from the baseline. She also served smartly by going to the body, since Serena can read her serve so well. Serena, as expected, was sloppy from the baseline. Anyway, I'm happy for big P. She deserved the title.

Venus+Serena#1fan
Great win for Venus, she picked it up and was making very few errors and moving terrific, serving BIG.

Serena couldn't handle her nerves. When she was hitting out and moving fast she was dominating the points but she froze up on breakpoints and was fighting her nerves, she let that 1st set go :(

RVD
Congratulations Venus! You certainly earned the title of Queen of Wimbledon of this modern era.
I sooooo wanted Serena to win this, but I guess is wasn't to be.
That 1st set was a MONSTER for Venus. That 15th game was NUTZ!!!!
And Vee's 2nd serves saved her BIG TIME!! What's up with that?!

YOU are BOTH the SHINIT of the WTA. :worship:
I can't wait for the US Open now.
Serena will win that one. :p

BuTtErFrEnA
Venus deserved it.
Hung in tough when it matters.

Serena started strong and then Errorena appeared.

yea that committed about 12 errors to 33 winners?? :o plz...

Oneofakind0490
That was pretty depressing. I really feel Serena should have won the match. THe way she started the match was so good its just she started to make so many errors. Oh well. She is gonna win the US Open.

Congrats on another successful Wimbledon Venus. One tourny wonder.

venusdemilo
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Venus :worship: 5 Wimbledons! Most players would be happy to win 5 majors, but 5 Wimbledons???
Serena :hug: Gutted. You could see the disappointment on her face.

As you can see I like both and have mixed feelings. Really wanted a 3rd set.

Sexysova
I'm so happy! :woohoo:

Zoeki
Serena may have more chances to win the UO.

comfortably.numb
OMG Serena looked like she could take the plate and throw it to the ground. :lol:
ROFL. She should look that way. She should have won this match.

starin
It could've been an amazing match but Serena's level really dropped after *43 in the first set. But :eek: Serena was amazing for the first 5-6 games. And then all of a sudden her serve went away and she took a lot of pace off her groundstrokes.

Venus :worship::worship::worship: another Wimbledon title. Usually I would be overjoyed but i'm kinda disappointed Serena lost cuz she was playing so well for a while there. Serena just wilted emotionally in the 2nd.

:bounce: 5 Wimbledon titles!!

tterb
If Venus' reaction doesn't put to rest any talk of pre-determining slam finals between her and Serena, I don't know what will. She's toning down her celebration, but you can see how thrilled she is to finally pull out another slam final against her sister.

Venus :hearts: That 23-stroke rally with Venus serving at 4-4 *30-15 was :worship:. Her forehand and second serve really held up under pressure. That along with her superior movement was the difference today.

Now win the doubles, girls.

kwilliams
Excellent stuff from Venus.

Congratulations!

eck
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:09 PM
yea that committed about 12 errors to 33 winners?? :o plz...

The stats are wrong.

I was watching the stats, and there didn't add a UE to the last point she made. :o

spencercarlos
Congrats Venus, never in doubt. Just too good for Serena today.

Serena :rolleyes: break points conversion and attitude on court

gmokb
Very good match ladies, high quality. Serena, hush baby next time this was just Venus day. Venus congrats you played really went and deserve this title. Now go on to win the doubles!!!!!!!!!!!!

eck
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:10 PM
omg Venus :lol:

Slumpsova
Serena's groundstrokes :help:
she needs to work on this very hard before it comes to summer hard court :rolleyes:

Selah
woohooo, I actually watched an entire Venus match not changing the channel, not upset, not worried, nothing. lol. Venus reigned in that jumping. LOL

Congrats to the Queen Vee of Wimbledon. Serena will win Wimbledon again, if she's healthy.

I wonder if Hank and Common will make it over for the ball.:D

I love Venus, that slight at Martina N, gotta love it.

Bartosh
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Woohoo :bounce::bounce:

kwilliams
"I'd like to think that they want me to win"

Great line!

Aaaaagh! It's 5!!!

Reuchlin
Congrats Venus!! :) -- She's a grass-court giant!

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:12 PM
The stats are wrong.

I was watching the stats, and there didn't add a UE to the last point she made. :o

i guess you want to go back to RG type stats :o they didn't consider something called forced errors...

anyways......bittersweet for me :)

Destiny
great quality

loved who won come onnnnnnnnn

*W*
I LOVE U VEE STARR!!!!!!

Craig.

Great line!

Aaaaagh! It's 5!!!

That was hilarious. Serena looked disgusted when she said that :lol:

50Sense
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Serena is mad as hell.

dansnewbeg
Really thought from the first couple games that Serena was taking this, but Venus really turned it around. Wow, awesome stuff from her. Best grasscourter of her generation for sure.

Adal
Venus :)

Dave.

Great line!

Aaaaagh! It's 5!!!

I liked it when Sue asked her about the best Wimbledon champions she said Billie is one of her faves but didn't mention Martina :lol:

young_gunner913

Great line!

Aaaaagh! It's 5!!!

:lol:

eck
i guess you want to go back to RG type stats :o they didn't consider something called forced errors...

anyways......bittersweet for me :)

That can't be a forced error :help:

Elwin.
Amazing match :worship:

deserved win for Venus :yeah:

thegreendestiny
Venus was born to own the Rosewater Dish. Congrats and thanks for putting Errorena in her rightful place. :bounce:

venusdemilo
Bittersweet...definitely mixed emotions.

Stamp Paid
Serena was disgusted during that post match on court interview LOL

Craig.
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I liked it when Sue asked her about the best Wimbledon champions she said Billie is one of her faves but didn't mention Martina :lol:

I knooooooooowwwwwww! That was just... priceless. :lol:

'I love you, Billie.' And that's it. :lol:

Svetlana.
Serena looked so pissed during the ceremony :)

Adal
I saw that :haha:
They were also showing Martina in the stands when she mentioned Billie and not her :lol:

serenus_2k8
:woohoo: Congrats Vee.

Sorry Ree :hug: Olympics & US are still up for grabs :D

starin
Serena looked really disappionted and pissed out there. She needs to work on keeping her emotions in check cuz that's really what did her in in this match.

Matthias13
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Great final :yeah: Disappointed with Serena's performance though, it looked like she didn't care that much ...

Selah
Congrats Venus, never in doubt. Just too good for Serena today.

Serena :rolleyes: break points conversion and attitude on court

Nice to see you Venusfanboy :hearts:

Derek.
Well done, Venus! :D
She was tough on the big points. :yeah:

Serena. :sad: :hug:

Foot_Fault
I am in CONSTANT AWE of Venus. Oh Well Time to Update my Signature..

shirley
Congrats to Venus :)

Apoleb
lmfao. The muppet has just put the hat on.

Zoeki
Serena played it with all her heart.

comfortably.numb
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Serena is mad as hell.
Yes. She is gonna toss that trophy in the trash first chance she gets. lol

AkademiQ
Serena was disgusted during that post match on court interview LOL

The way she played she should have been.

hablo

Great line!

Aaaaagh! It's 5!!!

It looked like Oracene was cheering more for Venus.

venus_rulez
High quality from both, but you need something extra special to beat Venus on grass :worship:

Serenita
congrats V
Serena:hug:

Destiny
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:17 PM

dansnewbeg
No one should put her on Court 2 again.

Michael!
:sobbing: I´m so happy :banana:
She really deserves that win :bounce:
Her wins over Serena are always :drool:

She won Wimbledon without losing a set, she is just the best grass player :bounce:

Adal
Serena was really disappointed. Lost two finals at Wimbledon now :sad:

Renalicious
HQ match...but... *dies* Serena what a waste of good form!! But seriously Vee was playing like a super human.

venus_rulez
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:18 PM

Um what? In the first set the winner to unforced error differential according to my commentator was 19-6 for Serena and she still loss. It takes something extra special to beat Venus on grass and Serena would have beaten anyone else today but Venus knows her games and has most of the same strengths that Serena has.

Cat's Pajamas
Venus :worship: :worship:

5 titles! :hearts:
This is your court no doubt. After the first few games I was worried Serena was going to blow her out. But Venus knew little sis couldn't hit that big the entire match and did the smart thing by moving her around the court eventually wearing down her physical and mental spirits. The first set was amazing quality but the conditions were just awful from there on. I wish it could've been a bit higher quality but Venus won so I cannot complain.

The only thing it really came down to was Venus won all the big points. :shrug:
Congratulation Queen Vee! I Veelieve!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:
Good match Serena. :)

Destiny
:hug: ree

Marcelo.
Yes !! So happy for Venus :worship::D

mygirlV
If Venus' reaction doesn't put to rest any talk of pre-determining slam finals between her and Serena, I don't know what will. She's toning down her celebration, but you can see how thrilled she is to finally pull out another slam final against her sister.

Venus :hearts: That 23-stroke rally with Venus serving at 4-4 *30-15 was :worship:. Her forehand and second serve really held up under pressure. That along with her superior movement was the difference today.

Now win the doubles, girls.
I mentioned this same thing in Venus' forum;)

Miss Amor
queen vee :worship:

Rising Sun
Rena :sobbing: :banghead:

Congrats Vee :)

gmokb
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Serena looked disappointed as expected as if she was going to cry, she wanted to win, nothing wrong with that. I loved Venus and her comments, so funny and she is so right, she will have to play the big sis role in the doubles and later tonight when Serena gets real down.

*W*
Amazing Match!!!!!!

Nobody's Perfecc
Congrats Venus! You were too tough today. Your play was solid throughout. What a way to win your 5th Championship beating the 2nd best grass court player! Just play like this outside of Wimbledon also, please?

I am so disappointed in Serena. She started out firing, and in my head I was thinking "Is Serena going to pull an AO '07 on Venus?" A few lucky breaks for Venus, and she started crumbling. Then headcase Serena came out. She really needs to stop with the negative attitude, I felt like this prevented her from getting back her form. Also, the steady play from Venus didn't help Serena at all. I know she's not gonna be too happy about this, I hope it doesn't affect their doubles final.

Congrats to Venus again, I think it's possible she could tie Steffi's 7 Wimbledon and if she does play for more than 5 years more, it's possible to reach 9 Wimbledon.

Serena, I hope this doesn't discourage you too much. Just fix your attitude, quit with the mental letdowns, and you will reach the top of the game like before.

SV_Fan
I feel so bad for Serena. But yet I am so happy for Vee.

AkademiQ
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Um what? In the first set the winner to unforced error differential according to my commentator was 19-6 for Serena and she still loss. It takes something extra special to beat Venus on grass and Serena would have beaten anyone else today but Venus knows her games and has most of the same strengths that Serena has.

Um yes... Serena should have taken her opportunities and chances instead of giving them back.

stevos
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Serena has the most bitter smile on. It's hilare.

Venus' interview was great. And her play.

My dad watched some of this with me, he doesn't watch tennis often, but he was getting pissed at Mary Carillo for bringing down the Williams' while they were playing, which I thought was funny since she was being such a suck-up for them earlier.

ce
:hearts: Venus
:sad: :hug: Serena

Chance
OMG!!!!!!!!

Venus 2008>2007>2005>2003>2001>2000
Vee's forehand and second serve was very solid. Those first 4 games I had visions of Serena's match against Sharapova, honestly I was scared for Vee. But V believed in herself and fought hard!
Towards the second set I wanted it go through 3 sets, but Serena got shaky...
Congratulations Venus!! :clap2::bigclap::D
Serena, you're faster than that! What happend?? I'm still baffled???
Sseren, believe in yourself and get that GOLD MEDAL.:hug::hug:
I'm EXTREMELY PROUD of VENUS & SERENA!

High quality final!!!!!!!

swissmr
Venus :bounce: I'm so glad she won.
Really enjoyable final, I just wish there was a third set.

.Andrew.
Venus. :worship: She deserved the win out there. She played brilliant tennis, everytime she went down, she picked herself right back up. Her serve, groundstrokes, everything was very good. :yeah:

Serena. :hug: Great start from her but couldn't continue that brand of tennis though she still played very well. :hug: Needs to keep her attitude on check though. :hug: She had so many chances to break, so it's a bit disappointing for me. :(

Very high quality match though! :worship: Though I wish Serena won. :lol: Congrats, Vee on your 5th Wimbledon title. :bounce: :bounce:

Nikkiri
Serena :sad:

Congrats Venus.

LDF
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Congratulations to Venus on her 5th Wimbledon title. She played extremely well today; her serving and movement were particularly impressive. She was down in both sets yet hung tough throughout and I think she mentally was stronger than Serena today. :worship:

Serena :hug: I was rooting for her, and early on she appeared to be on her way to victory, but she became increasingly erroneous at the end of the first set and once she lost the break in the 2nd I could sense the impending finish. Still, I'm very pleased to see her back in the Wimbledon final, and hopefully this defeat will inspire her to improve not only here, but everywhere else in the coming tournaments.

This was a superb match - could've been a classic if it went to 3 sets. 2 hours of engrossing stuff :)

Andrew Laeddis
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:22 PM
:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:
YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the match.

azinna
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:23 PM
.....I love Venus, that slight at Martina N, gotta love it.

Yep. Caught that. Classy snub, without all the effort Martina puts into hers.

Alla Luce
I'm so happy for Venus. :bounce: She is the best grass court player right now. I wish she would come to the net a bit more. Her volleying was on song today. Hit some very tough volleys.

She has now caught up with Justine in the number of Slams won & is 2nd only to the great Serena of the current active players. 5 Wimbledons is no small feat :angel:

:hearts::hearts:

kiwifan

Wasn't that Great? Subtle but Sharp. :devil:

That was the moment, I got my first tear, while laughing out loud. :angel: :angel: :angel:

Serena is mad as hell.

That's what makes her the champion she is. :worship: :worship: :worship:

Craig.
Serena looked SOOOOOOOOOO insincere in that interview with Mary (the whole I'm not brokenhearted thing and I'm happy for Venus :lol:)

comfortably.numb
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Serena's game fell off in a big way from the ending of the first set through the entire second set. She played error filled, cautious tennis. She played liked she played against Justine in huge matches last year. Even in the tournaments Serena has won this year, she has had matches like this. She is a headcase. She was dominating and should have dominated the entire match. But the moment some games started to go Venus's way, she fell apart. Anyone could see that.

Credit to Venus for maintaining her good play though. And taking advantage.

Harju.
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Congrats Vee :yeah:
Five Wimbledon titles! Just amazing.

Slumpsova
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:27 PM
i think Serena won't talk to Venus for at least a day :shrug:

azinna
Carillo trying to instigate.

To Serena: "Do you feel like playing any more tennis?..."

Serena: "I'm here for the entire competition..."

Carillo: "Gosh, notice how Venus couldn't celebrate like she used to, since she just broke her kid sister's heart..."

Serena: "My heart isn't broken...."

SV_Fan
But I also hope Venus and Serena from 02 and 03 are back now. I miss them so much. I cant believe that its been so long since Serena hoisted the rosewater dish.

hayleytrotter
Congrats Venus, im not a huge fan but you played well and deserved this one!

mirzalover
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Hell Fucking Yeah

cellophane
Serena looked SOOOOOOOOOO insincere in that interview with Mary (the whole I'm not brokenhearted thing and I'm happy for Venus :lol:)

I know.... That was way too obvious. :help:

pov
Congrats to Venus Williams! :yeah:

Alla Luce
For a moment there I honeshtly thought Serena would blow Venus off the court like she did Sharapova at the Australian Open 2007 :eek:

harloo
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:29 PM

:lol: I know. For the first four games she was good but after that she was a hot mess. I hope this loss motivates her to improve that footwork and get her fitness back to 2002 level. :)

IanRadi
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Congrats Venus :D She wins the tournament without losing a set :worship:

Now take the doubles title with Rena :armed:

Craig.
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I know.... That was way too obvious. :help:

Really. That's what I REALLY don't like about her. She just thinks way too much of herself and when she loses, she becomes bitter hoping that the officials change the score and give her the trophy or something. You lost, give credit to your sister and put on a happy face.

Optima
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:31 PM
That's quite incredible Venus, really amazing. Congrats on your 5TH Wimbledon title :yeah:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Wow, congrats Venus. You played amazingly well. Serve was working, not making wild errors. Just too good today. FIVE TIME WIMBLEDON CHAMPION! :rocker:

Serena :shrug: You started so well, I thought we were going to see a demolition like in Australia :( I dunno what happened towards the end of the first set. Just so negative and you stopped forcing the issue. :(

Meteor Shower
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Serena :sad: it was not your day today, get ready for US and win that one. :)

Venus :worship:
You beated in many of my favorites, it in straights sets too.
Sooo impressive, and I had no doubt it was your title to win.
Respect is so much higher now. :) :D

The Daviator
Serena :sad: She won 10 of the first 11 points, a few more pts here and there and she would have taken that first set, but Vee hung tough and Serena started to suck from the baseline :o

Venus Williams :worship: What a Wimbledon legend, 5 titles, incredible :worship:

jonny84
Thrilled for Venus!

stevos
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I love how they play Maria's commercials during these finals.

50Sense
Really. That's what I REALLY don't like about her. She just thinks way too much of herself and when she loses, she becomes bitter hoping that the officials change the score and give her the trophy or something. You lost, give credit to your sister and put on a happy face.

Damn, can she get a half hour to get over it? :lol:

harloo
But I also hope Venus and Serena from 02 and 03 are back now. I miss them so much. I cant believe that its been so long since Serena hoisted the rosewater dish.

Unfortunately, despite this great effort I really don't think the Venus and Serena of 02/03 are back. Venus just plays well at Wimbledon despite being inconsistent the entire year and the 2002 Serena would never lose in the third round of any slam as a result of being nervous.

comfortably.numb
Really. That's what I REALLY don't like about her. She just thinks way too much of herself and when she loses, she becomes bitter hoping that the officials change the score and give her the trophy or something. You lost, give credit to your sister and put on a happy face.Whatever. She gave her sister credit and she was happy that at least one of them won it. Just because she isn't prancing around taking pictures of Venus, it doesn't mean she's being selfish. I thought her reaction was appropriate.

cocco80
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I'm so happy Venus won. I was rooting for her thinking Serena would take the title. I'm so clueless :haha:

Anyway, Vee you were fierce out there. :banana:

Ree :hug: next time is your turn, I hope.

Congrats to all WS fans. It was a great final.

hacberto
I wanted Serena to win but I love Venus and that's ok.
Wow but really 5 Wimbledon Trophies that's ridiculous, Great for Venus!!!

I'm a little sad because Serena seemed sad and you could tell she was about top break down in tears in both of her interviews after the match.

I have a feeling this will only do good to Serena and play well to win the Us Open.
Serena is a bad looser you know she doesn't know who to loose but she tried.

Congratulations Venus, Your 7th slam that's great.

-VSR-
I loved everything about this final. I loved that Venus won her 5th Wimbledon title! I loved her reaction and her on court interview. I was laughing out loud at the things she was saying and then Serena's reactions.

I feel for Serena but she beat Venus 5 times in finals so I think it's time she was happy for Venus.

I hope they win the doubles title! :D

The Daviator
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:35 PM

Exactly :o I love that Serena is pissed, I hope she works even harder at the Olympics/USO.

AkademiQ
:lol: I know. For the first four games she was good but after that she was a hot mess. I hope this loss motivates her to improve that footwork and get her fitness back to 2002 level. :)

Grand slam titles aren't guaranteed and don't come without hard work. Serena being this close needs to get on it. I want to see her lifting a trophy real soon.

Viktymise
:woohoo:

Fully deserved. Wimbledon Legend Venus Williams. Venus played all the clutch points so well. Her superior movement and footspeed won her the match.

xr6turbo
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Venus :worship: So solid today and a pretty amazing match considering the conditions were so bad towards the end.

Five Wimbledon titles. :hearts: So awesome. Congrats Venus!!!! Grass court Queen! :dance: :yeah: :worship:

Thanx4nothin
Serena looked so sad. I feel so bad for her, and it felt awful watching Venus just walk by her with the trophy without even looking at her sister, then again, it is that instinct that Venus lacked when she was losing to Serena. Serena really LET Venus win but I would never say she LOST that match. The quality was awesome and Venus reigns supreme as queen of Wimbledon.

stevos

There are so many emotional things that would go into losing to your sister who has just won her fifth Grand Slam final, I mean I think it's a lot harder than you would know.

Give her a break. She lost, she's going to be upset.

spriwi
well done venus :yeah:
her defence was better than serena's consistency in offence today

Vlover
Venus :worship::kiss: Serena :smooch:

Craig.
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Ha, so many overly sensitive fans. I just don't like her attitude.

Il Primo!
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I'm SO glad!!

Of fuck, kill me, I'm so happy :bigcry:

Venus, she had me scarred at the beginning but I still veelieved in you and you proved me right:banana:

Too bad for Rena :hug:

stevos
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Ha, so many overly sensitive fans. I just don't like her attitude.

I'm primarily a Maria fan, so don't just call me one of those "fans".
Whatever, think whatever you want. :shrug:

hablo
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:40 PM

I know right. Serena just lost a slam final for heaven's sake ; it's hard to be happy for any opponent, nevermind the fact that it's your sister. :lol:

That said, I've always thought that Serena was the meaner of the two which helps her beat her sister more often than not in the big matches.

V-MAC
High quality from both, but you need something extra special to beat Venus on grass :worship:

like a dodgy umpire :lol:

Ladies and gents, the winning shot of the day was......................Venus' second serve :eek: :worship: That second serve ace in the second set said it all really as far as how confident Vee was feeling.
I am thrilled for her. She played amazing in that second set and really deserved the win. Serena started off really well and it looked dangerous for Vee there for a while that Serena could run away with that opening set. It was almost like Serena peaked too soon in the match and Vee wore her down eventually. I can't wait to watch the highlihts later on when I am in a more relaxed state and can just enjoy the match :lol: Finally, congrats Vee and well played Serena :D:bounce:

LindsayRulz
I wanted a third set :(

Serena :sad::hug:

disco_rage
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Very well played Venus.

ASP0315
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:42 PM
The queen of wimbledon strikes again. :worship:
Good job Venus on your fifth wimbledon title and your 7th major. :yeah:

See ya next time Serena. good week for you. :hatoff:

Craig.
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I'm primarily a Maria fan, so don't just call me one of those "fans".
Whatever, think whatever you want. :shrug:

I didn't necessarily mean you. You're one of my fave Maria fans so we're good. ;)

Matter of opinion. Subjectivity. Taste. Likes/Dislikes. Since when is that forbidden? :lol:

atptour03
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Venus played like she had a mission in mind. When Venus saved that one break point in the first set with an awesome volley; she started to get that look in her eyes, and she then flipped a switch. Venus played with heart and determination. This was the first time, I have ever seen Venus truly not look at Serena as her kid sister, but rather an opponent. Venus wanted it more today.

AcesHigh
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I AM SOOOO HAPPPY

Congrats Venus :yeah: Never lost faith in you

Where are all those posters who said Serena was going to win FOR SURE :smash:

Il Primo!
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:46 PM
For the record: I think Serena's passing shot straight on Venus's body is the KEY of the match.
After then, Venus turned into a "If You Wanna Get Down, Let's Do It, BITCH" mode.
It's the first I saw this attitude in her eyes while playing Reena. And I loved that! :drool: :worship:

timafi
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Venus:hatoff: :bowdown:

I would love to see you and Ame play on grass if both healthy and playing well.both attacking players on grass:drool::drool:

Serena:help: on those bp's:smash:

the better player won:yeah:

SV_Fan
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I still do feel bad for Serena. I mean its not like she owns Wimbledon. Serena really wanted it. But honestly Venus was the Serena today and Serena was the Venus. Venus was pumping her fist. Serena was just quiet and mellow.

¤CharlDa¤
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Venus :tearsofjoy:

I am so proud of her, she showed her experience, her maturity, she stayed evenly good all match while Serena seemed all over the place at times.

5 time champion!

jimbo mack
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM
great match by both players. they are way ahead of other players in terms of how amazing their serves are.

congrats to venus!

serena - win at flushing meadows and equal seles :)

mckyle.
Congratulations Venus! Five Wimbledon Titles! Extraordinary!

So glad she got over that mental block against Serena in finals.

I don't know what happened to Serena. After those first twelve points (Serena won eleven of those, I think) I really though Serena was going to blow out Venus. But Venus stayed calm and Serena was getting frustrated too easily.

That match was high-quality, and almost two hours long for only being two sets! I wanted Serena to win that second set because a third set would have been fantastic.

Congratulations ladies and win the doubles please :D

adeegee
Can't believe Serena has become such a mental midget, never thought I'd see the day.

Viktymise
Venus hasn't lost a set on CC in 3 years. ;)

jimbo mack
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I still do feel bad for Serena. I mean its not like she owns Wimbledon. Serena really wanted it. But honestly Venus was the Serena today and Serena was the Venus. Venus was pumping her fist. Serena was just quiet and mellow.

wrong

serena pumped her fist on several ocassions and screamed and shouted numerous times with frustration

venus played smarter

Alla Luce
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:52 PM
:eek:Venus played like she had a mission in mind. When Venus saved that one break point in the first set with an awesome volley; she started to get that look in her eyes, and she then flipped a switch. Venus played with heart and determination. This was the first time, I have ever seen Venus truly not look at Serena as her kid sister, but rather an opponent. Venus wanted it more today.

Oh my I remember THAT look. I first saw it when she beat Sharapova in the semis in '05 :eek: :eek: :fiery: :fiery: She was on a mission that day :worship::worship:

vettipooh
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Venus!! :woohoo: Queen of Wimbly!! :hearts: Serena :hug: Better luck next time. Now go win that doubles trophy.

Avid Merrion
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:57 PM
wrong

serena pumped her fist on several ocassions and screamed and shouted numerous times with frustration

venus played smarter

on several occasions, yes but nowhere near as often as she usually does. she just seemed really subdued to me out there today.

but i agree, Venus did play smarter ;)

Dodoboy.
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:58 PM
WHAT A GREAT MATCH!!!!!

i was sooo happy watching that!

what a dream!

Well done Venus, what fight - the best grass/courter of this generation :worship:

Serena :hug: Looked UNREAL in the beggining - a bit too good :scared: Too bad you couldn't hang on but this is wimbledon :hug:

Venus needs every wimby she can get :hug:

Well done girls, great final! Impressive stuff!

Serena played AMAZING and still lost - ODE TO VENUS

Those returns of serves!!!!!!!!!!!!

supergrunt
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Serena was playing her best in those first few games. :sad: But VENUS HAS 5 WIMBLEDONS!! Now all we need is for Fed to lose and they won't ever have another excuse to put her on Court 2. :D

Chance
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I know right. Serena just lost a slam final for heaven's sake ; it's hard to be happy for any opponent, nevermind the fact that it's your sister. :lol:

That said, I've always thought that Serena was the meaner of the two which helps her beat her sister more often than not in the big matches.
Awwee I just saw Serena's punkd episode before I saw the final, Serena is definitely not a meanie lol But on court Rena can be very emotional and can come across as a Gladiator;)
I was feeling for Serena when she had to talk to Sue Barker.. Serena, will have to relearn how to channel her emotions and handle her nerves.
If Rena can do it in 2002 , then SW do it again in 2008!

pov
For the record: I think Serena's passing shot straight on Venus's body is the KEY of the match.
After then, Venus turned into a "If You Wanna Get Down, Let's Do It, BITCH" mode.
It's the first I saw this attitude in her eyes while playing Reena.
Yeah. I agree.

Dodoboy.
I just really wish it squeezed to a third set!

Morrissey
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I am so proud of Venus she beat Serena! Go Venus!

hablo
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Awwee I just saw Serena's punkd episode before I saw the final, Serena is definitely not a meanie lol But on court Rena can be very emotional and can come across as a Gladiator;)
I was feeling for Serena when she had to talk to Sue Barker.. Serena, will have to relearn how to channel her emotions and handle her nerves.
If Rena can do it in 2002 , then SW do it again in 2008!

I've never seen it. Too bad. :awww:

moby
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Congrats Venus! FIVE! (Damn, Justine, you really should have five RGs too.)

Serena just went AWOL after conceding that strange point at 4-all Ad Venus. Even though Venus was hitting her stride and would have won anyway. But Serena's level dropped dramatically after that, and Venus's level dipped too, because she didn't have to do too much to win. Up to that point, it was such a high quality match.

Of course Serena was unhappy and wouldn't hide it. She's the youngest sister. The youngest child rarely have to suck it in when things don't go their way. ;)

cocco80
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Awwee I just saw Serena's punkd episode before I saw the final, Serena is definitely not a meanie lol

Oh, I remember watching that episode a while ago. She is such a sweetie :kiss: You can actually see how considerate and down to earth she is. Ah, now I'm really sad for her :sad: but I wanted Vee to take this one :)

Radix2
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Venus was amazing. Congrats on title # 5.

Serena, Venus was just too good today. Hopefully you'll win the US Open.

Jeff
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:11 PM
This was a great match, and I'm proud of Venus for the way she played today. Congratulations on title number five, girl- the offical Queen of Wimbledon ! :kiss: Serena, you'll no doubt have more slams in your future, so just be happy for older sis ;)

silverwhite
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:14 PM

To me, it just shows how hungry she is to win. :shrug:

Infiniti2001
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Venus :bowdown::bounce::woohoo: After the 1st 2 games, I thought you would be bulldozed :eek: However as the match progressed I realized that serve and return alone would not work against you :D Serena was serving excellently, but once the slugging started Vee would get her :lol:
Congratsulation on title #5. I always Veelieve :kiss::hearts:

Leo_DFP
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:16 PM
This was an excellent match and very enjoyable for me as a Venus fan. At the start, it looked like it could have been a quick day for Venus at the hands of an in-the-zone Serena. After all, her last Grand Slam final was a thrashing of Sharapova that featured winner after winner. But Venus hit some big serves, got lucky with that crucial netcord at 1-3, Deuce, and was able to worm her way into the match. Suddenly, by the end of the first set, she was producing more groundstroke winners and coming out on top of the baseline rallies. Also unsurprisingly, Venus was superior at net - and it was her netplay that kept her in it during Serena's period of perfection.

Remember in 2002 and 2003 what separated the sisters? Serena dominated that Grand Slam final rivalry because she was steadier on her 2nd serve and forehand. Today it was Venus with the superior 2nd serve and forehand! Nice to see some sweet revenge. It meant more to her today, and Wimbledon is her home.

I think Serena will win the US Open. She doesn't want another Slam-less year. Venus is never as strong in New York as she is in London. Serena's gonna be the one to beat.

freeandlonely
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Serena:confused:
You have 8 GS, you shold play like a champion,
not a challenger with an impressive START.

Congrats Venus. 5 times! That's convincing.

vesanto
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I am really happy for Vee!

First of all, congrats to Serena, she is a great champion and she will win more GS titles, I am pretty sure.

About Venus, I am really glad that Venus won today. She played well, smart and stayed tough during all match. I was impressed with the way her serve and shots didn't fall apart during the pressure. She mixed the serve really efficiently and that was key.

This win is really important for her. She gets her 7th GS title, catches Henin and becomes the 2nd active player (only behind Serena). She earnes her 5th Wimbledon title and basically garantees the status of grass court greatness, the best of her generation. If Serena wins today, she would get ther 3rd title and Venus would stay with 4, so the difference would not be sufficient. This definitely clears the subject.

Another important aspect is that I believe Venus got over the fact she was playing her sister. For the first time, she was playing normally, she reacted normally. She did it for herself and I am happy for that. Still, she did it never losing respect for her sister, that she obviously loves.

Now, I just would love Venus to win USOpen. Just to show that she is not a one Slam Wonder. She usually plays well in Fleashing Meadows and without Henin she might have a chance, although I learnt not to expect many things from her.

darrinbaker00
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I just really wish it squeezed to a third set!
Strangely enough, I was rooting for Serena to pull the second set out. I wanted to see more.

gmak
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:22 PM
well done venus! :yeah: :D
great stuff from her!

darrinbaker00
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Serena:confused:
You have 8 GS, you shold play like a champion,
not a challenger with an impressive START.

Congrats Venus. 5 times! That's convincing.
I just said it in another thread, and I'll say it again here: if Serena had played anyone else the way she played against Venus today, she would have won her third Wimbledon. Venus is just that good on grass.

vwfan
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:25 PM
That was pretty depressing. I really feel Serena should have won the match. THe way she started the match was so good its just she started to make so many errors. Oh well. She is gonna win the US Open.

Congrats on another successful Wimbledon Venus. One tourny wonder.If you got to dominate one tournament, Wimbledon is the one!:devil:

darrinbaker00
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I am really happy for Vee!

First of all, congrats to Serena, she is a great champion and she will win more GS titles, I am pretty sure.

About Venus, I am really glad that Venus won today. She played well, smart and stayed tough during all match. I was impressed with the way her serve and shots didn't fall apart during the pressure. She mixed the serve really efficiently and that was key.

This win is really important for her. She gets her 7th GS title, catches Henin and becomes the 2nd active player (only behind Serena). She earnes her 5th Wimbledon title and basically garantees the status of grass court greatness, the best of her generation. If Serena wins today, she would get ther 3rd title and Venus would stay with 4, so the difference would not be sufficient. This definitely clears the subject.

Another important aspect is that I believe Venus got over the fact she was playing her sister. For the first time, she was playing normally, she reacted normally. She did it for herself and I am happy for that. Still, she did it never losing respect for her sister, that she obviously loves.

Now, I just would love Venus to win USOpen. Just to show that she is not a one Slam Wonder. She usually plays well in Fleashing Meadows and without Henin she might have a chance, although I learnt not to expect many things from her.
You know what I would REALLY like to see at the Open? Venus vs. Serena in the singles final, Venus/Serena vs. ___________ in the doubles final, and Williams/Bryan vs. Williams/Bryan in the mixed final. :cool:

hankqq
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Great win for Venus!

I thought Serena was going to win this, but she couldn't hold on to her leads in either set.

égalité
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:29 PM
YES! :woohoo:

matty
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Yep, Venus stayed mentally tough, while Serena just got down on herself. I was hoping Serena would win, but I'm just glad at least one Williams' came a way with another Slam Title.

Il Primo!
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:31 PM
BTW, Where's Matt01?? :unsure:

hablo
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:32 PM

Does it really matter ? :p

bandabou
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Venus was just so clutch on those bp's..amazing.

*JR*
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:39 PM
While I prefer Serena, she had a virtual gimme in the '03 final here, due to Venus' abdominal tear. (Which playing it made worse, where she would have been done for the year even if not for what later happened to Yetunde). I guess the karma was on her side this time, so congratulations Champ. :)

дalex
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Congrats to Venus, she's really the best player on grass! :worship:

Serena :hug: :hearts:

meyerpl
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Very nice. Congratulations to Venus.

cn ireland
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Congratulations Venus:bounce: Throuoghly deserved this victory and the title with her excellent court coverage and net play. Was delighted to see that Venus wanted it more than Serena today too:).

Serena: good tournament but was just totally outplayed by big sis today!

I have to say that this was the best match i've ever seen them play against each other. The shotmaking in the 1st set was outstanding:)!!!!! Really enjoyed this final.

Melly Flew Us
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:04 PM
congrats vee.
commiserations rena.

Calypso
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:07 PM
:woohoo:

Congratulations Venus!! For a couple of games, I thought Serena was gonna take Venus to school! That was an incredible start by Miss S. Williams, I don't think I've seen a better start from her in a big GS match! She was smacking clean winners off Venus' booming serves and hitting winners seemingly at will.

Nice job by Venus to hang tough and weather the 1st set storm from Serena, staying within a break of her and when she got the chance to break, took it.

Serena seemed to become shakier as the match progressed while Venus grew in stature, finally getting a lot more returns in on Serena's monster serve. John McEnroe kept saying what a risky play it was from Venus to receive Serena's 1st serve from inside the baseline, but she managed to pull it off! The lucky let cords in the match were heart-stopping:eek:!

As I suspected, the longer the rallies, the more they seemed to favour Venus. Serena did a great job of moving Venus around, but she was favored when she got the first big strike in a rally.

Venus really wanted to win today and you could see that she would not let up the pressure on Serena, whereas Serena started to get frustrated and bounce her racket. I loved the matchpoints, excellent serve from Rena to save the first, then Venus turning defense into attack brilliantly to win the title:bigclap:!

Serena's break point conversion rate, something like 1/10:eek:, Venus served faster on the 2nd serves (many 2nd serves in the 90s MPH:banana:) than I've seen in a while, and with depth! She did not back off on the break points, but maybe luck was not on Serena's side as she took some big hits on those 2nd serves on break point but just missed on a couple of returns:hug:.

Overall, really tense match for me to watch, I kept waiting for Serena to make a big move in the 2nd set but she got broken back immediately.

I started to feel sorry for Serena towards the end of the 2nd set:sad:. Its sad that the title cannot be shared. Good luck in the doubles!:yeah:

Infiniti2001
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:08 PM

He's so irrelevant :lol:

raquel
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Congrats Venus! :worship: She really served well and was the better player on the day. She's a true Wimbledon legend :D

Serena :hug: She just wasn't on top form today and didn't seem to have her normal intensity.

It was a high quality match though :)

Carillo: "Gosh, notice how Venus couldn't celebrate like she used to, since she just broke her kid sister's heart..."

Serena: "My heart isn't broken...."
Good answer from Serena :devil: Mary Carillo obviously trying to get her to say something negative but Serena just hit back :)

Apoleb
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Mary Carillo is such a shit stirrer and a drama queen. She should be watching some soap opera instead of commentating.

danieln1
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Damn I was ready to see Winnerena, then that horrible ERRORENA appeared and fucked everything!! Shame Serena didn´t win that...

Alex72
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Mary Carillo is such a shit stirrer and a drama queen. She should be watching some soap opera instead of commentating.

Totally agree. Is too bad what we often get stuck with for commentators in American matches. It`s far more gossip and repetitive storytelling than match analysis.

And congratulations to Vee Williams. She has well established herself as the best grass court player of this era and of the present time. :)

Dodoboy.
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:19 PM
You know what I would REALLY like to see at the Open? Venus vs. Serena in the singles final, Venus/Serena vs. ___________ in the doubles final, and Williams/Bryan vs. Williams/Bryan in the mixed final. :cool:

After all those matches i think they might need enter the wheelchair doubles :lol:

Apoleb
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Totally agree. Is too bad what we often get stuck with for commentators in American matches. It`s far more gossip and repetitive storytelling than match analysis.

My feelings exactly. The only exceptions are J-Mac and Martina. Mary-Jo, Patrick Mac, Mary Carillo and the rest are pathetic.

tennisIlove09
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:24 PM
YES! Congrats Venus :)

Libertango
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Best match I've seen them play.
Well done Venus, SO proud of you; you were better throughout and you deservd to win your 5th Wimbledon title! UNBELIEVABLE! :worship:

tim2502
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I am so happy that Venus wins it!
She needed it and made it!

Good job,Venus.
4 times remained :)

saniapower
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:40 PM
best final ever between the sisters & big sisters speech was very nice :yeah:

geoepee
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Congratulations Venus! Well deserved :)

maddogz48
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Congrats Venus for withstanding the barrage of shots and serves Serena was showering down on you. Well done. :)
You deserve this one to carry your haul to 7 majors.

Brooks.
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Serena sucked. way to give away a Wimbledon title.

Nicolás89
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I lost the match but saw the ceremony.
Way to go Venus. :yeah:

Brooks.
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Serena gave away the first set at the end with stupid errors

Serena gave away the second set and the match with stupid errors

Venus didn't even play that well so I don't know what match you kids were watching. I realize that Venus now has 5 Wimbledon titles, but Serena should have won the match today. She had chances to break in almost all of Venus' service games. She didn't win the big points and thus lost the match.

this sucks. and I really don't like Venus right now.

supergrunt
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Serena gave away the first set at the end with stupid errors

Serena gave away the second set and the match with stupid errors

Venus didn't even play that well so I don't know what match you kids were watching. I realize that Venus now has 5 Wimbledon titles, but Serena should have won the match today. She had chances to break in almost all of Venus' service games. She didn't win the big points and thus lost the match.

this sucks. and I really don't like Venus right now.

Venus won :crazy: !!!

Brooks.
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:11 PM
oh and not to sound bitter but who wants to guess this will be Venus' only title this year :tape:

hablo
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Why is your username VeeReeFan if you can't stand Venus ? :scratch:

Venus was the better player today and I'm glad she won.

Dodoboy.
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:16 PM
who cares?

What a great only title :ras:

Vaidisova
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Congrats Venus on another Wimbledon title

vwfan
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:26 PM
oh and not to sound bitter but who wants to guess this will be Venus' only title this year :tape:VeeRee, you sound more like ReeRee!

Serena was beaten, outplayed and outserved by the 5 time Wimbledon champ and better grasscourt player.

Chill out and change your username.:rolleyes:

Calypso
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:27 PM
After then, Venus turned into a "If You Wanna Get Down, Let's Do It, BITCH" mode.It's the first I saw this attitude in her eyes while playing Reena. And I loved that! :drool: :worship:

:lol:. Venus then also hit one shot straight at Serena at the net, which she volleyed away for a winner.

I also noticed that there were no apologies for the lucky net cord winners, which both came at crucial times! Definitely the most frosty finals between the sisters. This bodes well for future clashes between the two:bounce::lol:.

Princeza
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Congratulations to Venus and her non trolls fans.

vwfan
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:29 PM
oh and not to sound bitter but who wants to guess this will be Venus' only title this year :tape:oh and another thing. . .you do sound bitter AND Serena is lucky to have the two Wimbledon titles she has. Venus was injured in both those other Wimbledon finals.:tape:

tennnisfannn
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:51 PM
congratulations Queen Vee

debopero
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:58 PM
What is with all the Serena hate though :unsure: ? Especially by Venus fans.

serenafan08
Jul 5th, 2008, 08:11 PM
This was such a fun match - I thoroughly enjoyed it! Such high quality and great ball striking from both. I won't lie; I wanted Serena to win, but I honestly am happy that Venus pulled it out. Now if she can just do this on all surfaces!!! There's no reason that she and Serena can't make a return to number one and two in the world again.

***I don't know what match you guys were watching. :confused: I thought Venus played terrific. It was interesting that Venus was the one who dug in more than Serena. I thought Serena still played great, but her second serve totally let her down. That was the difference. Both sisters' power and athleticism were on display today. Let's hope that this is a sign to come from them - if all their matches are like this, then let's have some more Williams Sister Slams! This was a treat!

Infiniti2001
Jul 5th, 2008, 08:18 PM
-YOmE4c9Mdw

roxi
Jul 5th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Great match!!! Vee really wanted to win this match!!!

Marionated
Jul 5th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Venus :bounce: congrats on a 5th Wimbledon title.
Serena, well, you started strong and then it all just kinda fell apart.
Pretty good match overall.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 5th, 2008, 08:47 PM
CONGRATS TO VEE!!

She deserved it! That second serve stayed strong, and she was solid off the ground. NO PUSHING! A well deserved, solid, high quality, clean victory!

Serena :hug: better luck next time. I was torn because I tend to favor Serena over Vee, but Vee DESERVED this victory. She OUT PLAYED Serena!

Congrats to the Williams family!!

(wish it could have gone three sets though.)

Paialii
Jul 5th, 2008, 08:55 PM
When this final first started I thought it was going to be a sweeping, dominating win for Serena like her 2007 Australian Open win over Sharapova. I really did. And truth be told, I think it COULD have been like that had Serena not gotten so down and negative on herself.

I love both of them, but for me it's frustrating to see Serena beat herself up mentally. She wasn't hitting that terribly but she made it so much worse for herself with the negative attitude. I really hope that she watches the tape of the match -- watches it and sees the contrast between the stoic, focused Serena that hits winner after winner, and the frustrated, negative Serena who mistimed shots and was unable to produce on break points.

I suppose if anything the final just left (for me) something to be desired. I always tend to pull for Serena in these matches, as every slam win helps establish her as one of the best of all time.

I don't know -- I still don't know what to think. Numbers-wise it was a "quality" match, and Venus dug deep and moved BEAUITFULLY, but I would die to see Serena get that poker face back, the face that intimidated all opponents (including her sister) in 2002-03. Just calm the fuck down, girl! :lol:

I'm hoping to see Serena take some titles this summer, be it on the US Open Series, the Olympics, and preferably the US Open. There's no reason these two can't return to the top, especially with that ever so clever Belgian out of the picture. :)

Denise4925
Jul 5th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I think it was a clean, well-played match. It was exciting with great shots and serves. Venus just outplayed Serena today. The better grasscourt player won today and I couldn't be more happy for Venus' fifth Wimbledon title. :D

Serena, I hate to see you lose. But, you fought and did your best. You just didn't have an answer for Venus today. :sad:

Denise4925
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:01 PM
CONGRATS TO VEE!!

She deserved it! That second serve stayed strong, and she was solid off the ground. NO PUSHING! A well deserved, solid, high quality, clean victory!

Serena :hug: better luck next time. I was torn because I tend to favor Serena over Vee, but Vee DESERVED this victory. She OUT PLAYED Serena!

Congrats to the Williams family!!

(wish it could have gone three sets though.)

:worship::worship::worship: Me too on all accounts.:lol:

tenn_ace
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Venus :D One of the classiest sports women ever :worship:

Serena - nice try, but you had your share of beating Venus ;)

spiritedenergy
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Errorena:sobbing:

Denise4925
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:05 PM
What ESPN broadcast was that? They didn't show any tennis on ESPN here.

Dodoboy.
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:07 PM
When this final first started I thought it was going to be a sweeping, dominating win for Serena like her 2007 Australian Open win over Sharapova. I really did. And truth be told, I think it COULD have been like that had Serena not gotten so down and negative on herself.

I love both of them, but for me it's frustrating to see Serena beat herself up mentally. She wasn't hitting that terribly but she made it so much worse for herself with the negative attitude. I really hope that she watches the tape of the match -- watches it and sees the contrast between the stoic, focused Serena that hits winner after winner, and the frustrated, negative Serena who mistimed shots and was unable to produce on break points.

I suppose if anything the final just left (for me) something to be desired. I always tend to pull for Serena in these matches, as every slam win helps establish her as one of the best of all time.

I don't know -- I still don't know what to think. Numbers-wise it was a "quality" match, and Venus dug deep and moved BEAUITFULLY, but I would die to see Serena get that poker face back, the face that intimidated all opponents (including her sister) in 2002-03. Just calm the fuck down, girl! :lol:

I'm hoping to see Serena take some titles this summer, be it on the US Open Series, the Olympics, and preferably the US Open. There's no reason these two can't return to the top, especially with that ever so clever Belgian out of the picture. :)

I was physically shaking in the middle. I had to look away on some winners!

It was too good. I am glad she didn't get beaten like that. When Venus won a game the first thought was that thank god she won as many games as Pova did in 07 :help: