PDA

View Full Version : about "good people"...incredible quote by Venus today

LightWarrior
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Excerpt from interview after their doubles semi final win today :

Q. You've dominated this tournament. Two finals tomorrow and day after tomorrow. It's the first time in 42 years since Althea Gibson. In this tournament there are no African American players except for you. What do you think of it? Do you have any idea?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, we just try to celebrate world spirit, so we feel like we are carrying the banner for good people around the world.

Q. Do you think there's anything that can be done to encourage more African American players on to the tour?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Hopefully Serena and I will keep winning and that will be some encouragement to all good people.

Mmmm, I was wondering if Venus implied all black people were good people (which would be a racist comment against white people)
OR does she mean she is with her sister an inspiration to good people regardless of race.
I suppose she means the latter but I'm confused since the interviewer made a reference to black people in both questions.

Pureracket
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Not that she was saying this, but how is implying that all African American people good people racist against white people?

Obviously she's saying that she wants to inspire, not just African American people, but all people. Again, how is saying that African American people are good people saying anything negative against white people?

woosey
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:33 PM
if you're french you should know what a double entendre is.

edificio
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:36 PM
No. She is pretty clearly saying that she hopes they inspire ALL people and not just black people. Notice her responses before. She is trying to be inclusive and not be caged as only an inspiration for black people. Venus rarely ever responds to this question the way the interviewer intends. I don't think she wants to be seen as divisive but rather as inclusive. However, she and Serena do work with different groups in the U.S. encouraging sport, etc., for disadvantaged and other children, white, black, Asian, whatever.

Serenita
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:48 PM

Q. You've dominated this tournament. Two finals tomorrow and day after tomorrow. It's the first time in 42 years since Althea Gibson. In this tournament there are no African American players except for you. What do you think of it? Do you have any idea?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, we just try to celebrate world spirit, so we feel like we are carrying the banner for good people around the world.

Q. Do you think there's anything that can be done to encourage more African American players on to the tour?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Hopefully Serena and I will keep winning and that will be some encouragement to all good people.

Mmmm, I was wondering if Venus implied all black people were good people (which would be a racist comment against white people)
OR does she mean she is with her sister an inspiration to good people regardless of race.
I suppose she means the latter but I'm confused since the interviewer made a reference to black people in both questions.

How dumb is that! What don't you understand? all good people AROUND THE WORLD .
it means all good people from around the world,(asian, european,african,latin) seems very simple to me! This shit is typical.

Props to Venus once again:angel:, she knows how these Assholes work, to get people in trouble. Some tennis players should learn how to conduct themselves with press around. guess that's to much to ask.

LightWarrior
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Ok so the Williamses are good people, are opposed to...?

Adal
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Just INCREDIBLE :worship:

Optima
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:15 PM
That was quite a great answer - Obviously she meant she hopes she inspires anyone, regardless of race.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:16 PM

She's actually doing quite the opposite. She's trying to take the ethnicity factor OUT of the equation.

Becool

LOL
how dumb a person is supposed to be?! tell me

Pureracket
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

cocco80
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I love Venus. Such a class act.

LightWarrior
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Yeah but also, "good people" : how pretentious is that ?

cocco80
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:22 PM

You have some comprehension problems. She is trying to look beyond someone's race (or gender or nationality - I feel free to add). I guess people have to realize not to percieve them as just African Americans and implicitly as role models for (only) African American people. They inspire us all and can be great role models for everyone around the globe.

Serenita
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:23 PM

So first she was racist, then she was prentnetious.
Where do you start with these people.:tape::tape::tape:

Kart
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Mmmm, I'm just wondering if you're making a racist comment about Asian people as you're saying Venus' comments are against white people but you didn't mention anyone else. It is, after all, possible to be racist against other races besides white and black people is it not ? :confused:

OR maybe your comment, like Venus' comment, was not racist at all and we're looking for drama where there is none.

I suppose it's the latter but I'm confused as it's glaringly obvious to me and I can't see how it couldn't be to you.

LightWarrior
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Mmmm, I'm just wondering if you're making a racist comment about Asian people as you're saying Venus' comments are against white people but you didn't mention anyone else. It is, after all, possible to be racist against other races besides white and black people is it not ? :confused:

OR maybe your comment, like Venus' comment, was not racist at all and we're looking for drama where there is none.

I suppose it's the latter but I'm confused as it's glaringly obvious to me and I can't see how it couldn't be to you.

Mmmm you got me ! (although most people in teh media would oppose blacks/whites for some reason)

Pureracket
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Mmmm you got me ! (although most people in teh media would oppose blacks/whites for some reason)You're like....12 aren't you?

Kart
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Mmmm you got me ! (although most people in teh media would oppose blacks/whites for some reason)
They must all be racist as well then.

youizahoe
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:30 PM
What Venus meant;

She was pointing out to everyone that even black people deserve to win, be paid equal and need to respected like anyone else in the world. But you stupid people don't understand that.

LightWarrior
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:31 PM
It's like everywhere else : once you start a non politically correct thread you get insulted. I'm not that naive. I started this thread for the sake of debate. This is a very interesting thread,which covers a great topic, unlike most I read here.

spiritedenergy
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:32 PM
it means all good people from around the world,(asian, european,african,latin) seems very simple to me! This shit is typical.

Props to Venus once again:angel:, she knows how these Assholes work, to get people in trouble. Some tennis players should learn how to conduct themselves with press around. guess that's to much to ask.

Vaguely inspirational but pretentious. She could inspire good people in many other ways, you know? Playing tennis and earning money for herself is not "carrying the banner for good people". Good people carry the banner for themselves day by day.

spiritedenergy
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:34 PM
What Venus meant;

She was pointing out to everyone that even black people deserve to win, be paid equal and need to respected like anyone else in the world. But you stupid people don't understand that.

I agree. That's probably what she meant. "World spirit" is also a reference to African American I think.

Pureracket
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:39 PM
It's like everywhere else : once you start a non politically correct thread you get insulted. I'm not that naive. I started this thread for the sake of debate. This is a very interesting thread,which covers a great topic, unlike most I read here.No, your attempt @ controversy was poorly veiled in your opening post. You haven't really answered Kart's question either.

Lolo8
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Vaguely inspirational but pretentious. She could inspire good people in many other ways, you know? Playing tennis and earning money for herself is not "carrying the banner for good people". Good people carry the banner for themselves day by day.

Damn Vee and Ree can't do anything right in the eyes of these people. Bitch please get a damn life. :rolleyes:

Direwolf
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I think what she meant was...
theyre good in a sense that

They finished school...
Venus Williams finished college...
i dont know about Serena...
Venus Williams has so much faith in her church...

they have played in charity around the world...
Venus Williams played all over the world in 52weeks...
she has played almost on all continents..

and she loves her sister..
she loves the sport...
shes speaking for the equality of woman..
i think shes a unesco girl..
and shes a member of the council...

fuck.. shes more than a good person to me..

LightWarrior
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I think what she meant was...
theyre good in a sense that

They finished school...
Venus Williams finished college...
i dont know about Serena...
Venus Williams has so much faith in her church...

they have played in charity around the world...
Venus Williams played all over the world in 52weeks...
she has played almost on all continents..

and she loves her sister..
she loves the sport...
shes speaking for the equality of woman..
i think shes a unesco girl..
and shes a member of the council...

fuck.. shes more than a good person to me..

I hope you are being ironic. "Finishing college"...maybe not a good person but certainly a good girl !

Calypso
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:56 PM

Q. You've dominated this tournament. Two finals tomorrow and day after tomorrow. It's the first time in 42 years since Althea Gibson. In this tournament there are no African American players except for you. What do you think of it? Do you have any idea? VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, we just try to celebrate world spirit, so we feel like we are carrying the banner for good people around the world.

:help: A sad attempt at manufacturing controversy.

Pureracket
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I hope you are being ironic. "Finishing college"...maybe not a good person but certainly a good girl !
Again, you didn't answer the question of how this could be racist against whites. I'm interested in reading what you have to say.

Vlover
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:57 PM

As oppose to people of your ilk, who go around searching for quotes to misconstrue and misunderstand.:rolleyes:

LightWarrior
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:03 PM
As oppose to people of your ilk, who go around searching for quotes to misconstrue and misunderstand.:rolleyes:

Go around searching what ? I love reading Venus's interviews, I think she's very articulate and smart and gracious in her answers. I came accross this quote, which to me needed some clarifying. Nothing more. I may I find some WS' attitude very offensive and aggressive. Which I'm not being.

Bijoux0021
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Obviously, Venus is sick and tired of ignorant people (such as those reporters) always seeing skin color first and everything else second. She just want to see a world where skin color is not an issue and not have to keep answering stupid questions regarding race.

Sadly, nothingfails999 and SwissFarlop are wayyyyy too stupid to understand something so simple. :sad::o

Serenita
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Go around searching what ? I love reading Venus's interviews, I think she's very articulate and smart and gracious in her answers. I came accross this quote, which to me needed some clarifying. Nothing more. I may I find some WS' attitude very offensive and aggressive. Which I'm not being.

You find the William sisters : offensive and aggressive.
First Vee was a racist, now they both are offensive and aggressive.
what do you think of Richard and Oracene?
I guess saying things like: inspiring good people around the world is bad. Because she forgot about all those evil people.:tape:

let's not forget to inspire evil people to keep doing what evil they are doing:tape:

LightWarrior
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:16 PM
You find the William sisters : offensive and aggressive.
First Vee was a racist, now they both are offensive and aggressive.
what do you think of Richard and Oracene?
I guess saying things like: inspiring good people around the world is bad. Because she forgot about all those evil people.:tape:

let's not forget to inspire evil people to keep doing what evil they are doing:tape:

Sorry, I meant : I find some WS FANS' attitude

Kart
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:20 PM
It's like everywhere else : once you start a non politically correct thread you get insulted. I'm not that naive. I started this thread for the sake of debate. This is a very interesting thread,which covers a great topic, unlike most I read here.
There's nothing politically incorrect about this thread.

However, in order to start debate, you need to provide substance, not unfounded paranoia.

Bijoux0021
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Venus' attitude is offensive and aggressive? If you need this quote to be clarified, there's something wrong with you. :devil:

Serenita
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Sorry, I meant : I find some WS FANS' attitude

Bottom-line Venus is best spokeswoman in the WTA. She's smart articulate. Venus is a very inclusive person, never talks negative, allway's know how to handle journalist. About WS fans attitude maybe looking at your own attitude. Before start pointing fingers at others.
:wavey:

Donny
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:41 PM

Why does she never give answers like this when asked about women and women's tennis? For instance:

I believe that athletes — especially female athletes in the world’s leading sport for women — should serve as role models. The message I like to convey to women and girls across the globe is that there is no glass ceiling...

I've never heard her speak this frankly about blacks or any minorities.

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:46 PM
People like the threadstarter who try to look at the bad in everything are what is wrong with the world :help: .

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Why does she never give answers like this when asked about women and women's tennis? For instance:

I have always wondered that as well. I guess one can assume that she simply does not like to discuss race-related issues :shrug: . Serena is the complete antithesis of her in that regard. On several occasions she has spoken againt against things that she found to be racially discriminatory.

kiwifan
Jul 4th, 2008, 10:09 PM

She's an actual rep for women's tennis.

Speaking out about racial issues just gets you vilified, check every racial thread in WTAworld, for example.

Reporters asking racial questions to Venus and Serena are just baiting them 90% of the time. There's no good will behind their intentions, just an attempt to paint Black athletes as "always whining about race".

If reporters really cared they'd ask all players, and management and those who run the slams and those who run the marketing/agencies...

...that is if they really cared about racial issues.

It doesn't nor should it, start or end with Venus Williams. ;)

I've often been, "the only minority" and over time I've come to distinguish those who want to know v those who are trying to marginalize you; put you in a box.

Venus keeps it "Universal", she's very intelligent. :angel:

Serenita
Jul 4th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Exactly, why don't they ask JJ or Elena about the race issue.
As an example!

Infiniti2001
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:41 PM
She's an actual rep for women's tennis.

Speaking out about racial issues just gets you vilified, check every racial thread in WTAworld, for example.

Reporters asking racial questions to Venus and Serena are just baiting them 90% of the time. There's no good will behind their intentions, just an attempt to paint Black athletes as "always whining about race".

If reporters really cared they'd ask all players, and management and those who run the slams and those who run the marketing/agencies...

...that is if they really cared about racial issues.

It doesn't nor should it, start or end with Venus Williams. ;)

I've often been, "the only minority" and over time I've come to distinguish those who want to know v those who are trying to marginalize you; put you in a box.

Venus keeps it "Universal", she's very intelligent. :angel:

:worship::worship:

GracefulVenus
Jul 5th, 2008, 12:22 AM
That's why Venus is my fav.

LightWarrior
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:08 AM
That's why Venus is my fav.

Yeah, it reminds me that Venis is the intellectual one, and Serena the emotional one. Hence me feeling closer to Serena.

Avid Merrion
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:12 AM
lol, another thread trying to start shit about absolutely nothing. there's been a plethora of them during this years Wimby. what is with that?

LightWarrior
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:22 AM
lol, another thread trying to start shit about absolutely nothing. there's been a plethora of them during this years Wimby. what is with that?

Now stop it ! You all stop it you mean, negative and paranoid people on this board. I go semantic and you are all getting this so personally that it's so pathetic.

kiwifan
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Now stop it ! You all stop it you mean, negative and paranoid people on this board. I go semantic and you are all getting this so personally that it's so pathetic.

Perhaps you should think before you post such stupidity...

...that is if you don't wish to be judged accordingly. ;)

Avid Merrion
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:29 AM

lol, the only one taking this personally is you. you misread/misunderstood the quote, accept it and move on :)

LightWarrior
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Perhaps you should think before you post such stupidity...

...that is if you don't wish to be judged accordingly. ;)

First you don't "judge" people. Also, I remember that most people are bitter queens here. So I should relax.;)

*JR*
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Actually it was a coded endorsement of Obama. She and Serena will probably do a fistbump instead of a handshake after the final too. :tape:

thomas.chung
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:35 AM
You know, sometimes it helps if people don't look so deep and over analyze things. Treating everything with a conspiracy theory isn't going to get your life too far.

LightWarrior
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:39 AM
You know, sometimes it helps if people don't look so deep and over analyze things. Treating everything with a conspiracy theory isn't going to get your life too far.
I just wanted to get things straight, I thought it was an interesting remark from Venus that needed some insight. Poor me, innocent and naive, look what I got !

harloo
Jul 5th, 2008, 02:00 AM

I've heard Venus make a reference one time to who her "real" supporters were. Besides that remark, she's never been one to discuss racial issues. Most of the time she gives some vague answer especially when the interviewer questions the state of African American players on tour. Personally, I don't think that question is offensive or baiting in the least bit but it's a personal decision on how one should respond.

thomas.chung
Jul 5th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I just wanted to get things straight, I thought it was an interesting remark from Venus that needed some insight. Poor me, innocent and naive, look what I got !

Ok, you want to get some insight? This is my insight, to those who are innocent and naive...

Good people were never, ever by any mean or form been implied to be black people. Venus was careful in not using any African-American reference and tried to take the race context out of the question in her answer. Good people can mean anything, Caucasians, African-American, Chinese, Japanese, anyone. By taking the African-American out of the context of the question in her answer, she included a broader range of people including players like Jie Zheng and Tanasugarn. There is nothing more to that quote, just Venus don't want to make a race-based remarks off a seemingly "innocent" question.

V-MAC
Jul 5th, 2008, 02:48 AM
She's actually doing quite the opposite. She's trying to take the ethnicity factor OUT of the equation.

That is exactly what Vee was doing ;) and she is absolutely right too :worship:

mykarma
Jul 5th, 2008, 02:49 AM

VENUS WILLIAMS: [QUOTE]Hopefully Serena and I will keep winning and that will be some encouragement to all good people.

surely you jest.

austennis
Jul 5th, 2008, 02:53 AM
stop trying to make out she is racist... she simply saying they play for all races and all ppl..not just african americans

LightWarrior
Jul 5th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Ok, you want to get some insight? This is my insight, to those who are innocent and naive...

Good people were never, ever by any mean or form been implied to be black people. Venus was careful in not using any African-American reference and tried to take the race context out of the question in her answer. Good people can mean anything, Caucasians, African-American, Chinese, Japanese, anyone. By taking the African-American out of the context of the question in her answer, she included a broader range of people including players like Jie Zheng and Tanasugarn. There is nothing more to that quote, just Venus don't want to make a race-based remarks off a seemingly "innocent" question.

Well I guess you'right. But now what bothers me is the "good people" part. Implying she is "good", God-like. I understand that she realizes she and her sister are a huge inspiration to thousands of people. I mean , this is just the material world, just tennis, so let's keep it low here. It's like Madonna - the singer- , who thinks she's here to inspire people, but never said anything about "good people". You sing, you perform, you play tennis and you hope you'll be able to INSPIRE people. No need to talk about good and bad here. We're all here to improve our lives.

fawnrc
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:17 AM
OP, your funny. LOL

thomas.chung
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Well I guess you'right. But now what bothers me is the "good people" part. Implying she is "good", God-like. I understand that she realizes she and her sister are a huge inspiration to thousands of people. I mean , this is just the material world, just tennis, so let's keep it low here. It's like Madonna - the singer- , who thinks she's here to inspire people, but never said anything about "good people". You sing, you perform, you play tennis and you hope you'll be able to INSPIRE people. No need to talk about good and bad here. We're all here to improve our lives.

The only thing I see similar between a "God Person" and a "Good Person" is the missing "o". There are good people everywhere, those who helps other people, those who strives to make others' lives better, those are good people. The society, nor any one would necessarily relate to to God like. Although I don't have a particular religious believes, I think that you are just over analyzing the issue here. There are good people and bad people, and often the God is represented as the good person and the bad person is represented as the devil. So here is where I get philosophical (according to religious believes and reasoning)

(i) "All Gods are good people." (God -> Good people)
(ii) "All Evils are bad people." (Evil -> Bad people)

But what you are saying is this.
(iii) "All Gods are good people and all good people are God." (God <-> Good people)
(iv) "All Evils are bad people and all bad people are evil." (Evil <-> Bad people)

Although proving statement (i) and (ii) are difficult, proving statement (iii) and (iv) wrong is quite easy.

To prove statement (iii) false, we just need to find a case where that statement fails. So the following case the statement fails.

"A person looks and acts like a good person, but in his 'after life' because he is also judged by his motives (assuming his motives were bad), he cannot become a God."

Now the shaky part about this reasoning, as in most other reasoning problems is that you need a solid definition on good and bad, which is often very difficult to do.

Now let's look at statement (iv). Let's prove that one false too.
"A person who has done a lot of robbery recently passed away, but it was found that he steals only to feed to homeless and the poor." Now do you consider those people evil? The robber was simply doing deeds towards the society. Maybe the robber was a bad person to the riches and powerfuls, but then to the powerless, he (or she) was their savior.

From my (shaky) reasoning, I think that good != God and bad != Evil. It is just too difficult to draw a line on that. So stop reading so deep into this quote and move on.

Dodoboy.
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:45 AM
happy williams day :wavey:

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:59 AM

There's no confusion, Venus clearly states what she means -- world spirit and good people around the world says that she's thinking beyond race, creed, color, nationality.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Madonna inspiring? Only as a woman who somehow always lands on her feet.

Venus doesn't imply that she herself is either good or God like. She's referencing other people. Would you rather Venus have said good and evil people around the world?! :devil:

It's not that deep.

Destiny
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Madonna :haha:

Where in the hell did she say that ?? :lol:

bjurra
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:05 AM
You have some comprehension problems. She is trying to look beyond someone's race (or gender or nationality - I feel free to add). I guess people have to realize not to percieve them as just African Americans and implicitly as role models for (only) African American people. They inspire us all and can be great role models for everyone around the globe.

Exactly, and how pretentious is that? I will answer the question for you: Very.

Malva
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:20 AM

Exactly!

One has to be either very dumb or have bad will to try to put a different meaning on what she said.

Brava Venus!

cocco80
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Exactly, and how pretentious is that? I will answer the question for you: Very.

Are you saying Venus is being pretentious??? :help:

kwilliams
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:33 PM

How pretentious is it?

It's completely unpretentious. There is nothing wrong with what she said, nothing at all.

VS Fan
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:39 PM
To interviewer? Is Serena NOT African American???

VS Fan
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Also Gibson was 50 years ago not 42. (1958) do the math. Where do they get these interviewers??

pov
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:47 PM
:yeah: It is clear - crystal clear - that Venus Williams is stating that they like being inspirations for people regardless of ethnicity. And the fact that she thinks like that is inspirational in itself.

Emina.
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I love her! :bounce:

I love u Vee...and your Sister :worship:

raquel
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Q. You've dominated this tournament. Two finals tomorrow and day after tomorrow. It's the first time in 42 years since Althea Gibson. :confused: Does this interviewer mean it's the first time since Althea that an African American woman has been in two finals at the same Wimbledon? Venus already did it in 2000 and Serena in 2002