PDA

View Full Version : Serena and Alla: in Defense of Women's Tennis

Bruno71
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:11 PM
With all the horrendous, sexist journalism being perpetrated by the British press, I've mulled over the following two statements a lot today:

Alla Kudryavtseva interview from June 26th:

Q. Does it speak about the depth in the game that this can happen? People say the women's game is predictable. It hasn't been predictable for the last two days.

ALLA KUDRYAVTSEVA: It's guys. They always say the women's game is predictable. They always say you women can't serve, you don't go to the net, you can't slice. No, we can do it all. We're strong. Don't listen to them.

So many members of the press dismiss women's tennis at every chance they get. It was nice to see Alla call them out.

Serena Williams interview from June 30th:

Q. When you and Venus play, there are many similarities in the styles. On the other side, if it's a Federer/Nadal final, there are pronounced differences. When you look at them, what do you see is the biggest similarities and differences?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Between who? Me and Venus?

Q. Federer and Nadal.

SERENA WILLIAMS: I watch women's tennis (smiling).

I've also noticed a lot of WTA players can sort of buy into this denigration of women's tennis as well, by giving quotes along the lines of "the ATP is better" or "I only watch the men." I'm glad that Serena watches the women. While there's nothing wrong with watching and learning from the ATP, there should be nothing wrong with saying "the WTA is great too."

Thoughts?

woosey
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:25 PM
i'm in agreement.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:31 PM
they should talk to nicole :help:

woosey
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:44 PM
they should talk to nicole :help:

would be a waste of time.

mckyle.
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Allah :worship:

cocco80
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I agree.

youizahoe
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Who cares about men's tennis anyway, there is one player I watch and that's my buddy Bolelli. But besides that, I go crazy of watching 3 or more sets. lol

Apoleb
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:33 PM
So basically every person who criticizes women's tennis and has an opinion on it is "sexist"? Ridiculous.

southpaw58
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:25 PM
So basically every person who criticizes women's tennis and has an opinion on it is "sexist"? Ridiculous.

No one is saying that. But MANY that do make the comments, they it based off sexist thoughts.

It's funny that they compare Venus and Serena to Rafa and Federer. Compare Serena to Justine Henin or Amelie. Different. Though there are many many women who play similar styles to Serena, Venus, Sharapova, Davenport, there are a few who are different.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Allah :worship:

:worship:

Dodoboy.
Jul 5th, 2008, 08:51 AM
did you read this -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/07/04/stjohn104.xml

Venus doesnt deserve equal money!

The British Press have been fucking idiots!

I was fuming at the mouth reading the papers yesterdya!!

terjw
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:12 AM
did you read this -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/07/04/stjohn104.xml

Oh dear - that's the Telegraph. One of the better papers. I used to get that paper. And Martin Johnson isn't normally that bad. But I really have nothing to say on that article - and right before the women' final. :tape:

But I'm not sure these issues can be rationally discussed at the moment. On the one hand there's too many personal and overall unpleasant statements - often with no research and getting basic facts wrong like attributing the wrong player to a quote.

On the other hand - I'm afraid I don't agree with the response that it's all sexist and it's all or nothing as far as the issues raised. The tabloids and sometimes the broadsheets (but not so much) can be bad - but just as much to men as women.

Leaving aside the snide remarks about pampered divas and questioning injuries without bothering to find out the facts etc. - the issues are:

equal pay
fairness in allocation of courts
fairness (men & women) with requests for the time of a match
coverage on TV (well BBC) men vs womenEqual Pay has been settled - but people have their views and I simply don't accept anyone who doesn't think it's right is automatically sexist.

The other issues - there are valid points both ways: There'a a balance between fairness and the fact that the majority of people are not interested in women's tennis. They say - Oh I like watching tennis - the men's matches not the women. And this is women who say this to me. Plus there's the Andy Murray factor. If we had a top woman player - that would get prime coverage on BBC.

On the other hand - some valid points have been raised by players like Jelena and Serena and others. I don't neccessarily agree with them all - but they certainly warrant discussion - and they don't deserve to be vilified. And maybe mistakes were made.

As to whether a WTA player prefers watching the men play or the women play really doesn't make me think any the less or more about her.

Dodoboy.
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I wish there were women journalists writing about the WTA.

In The Zone
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Alla is incredibly well-spoken. She wears her heart on her sleeve and in this case, it showed wonders. I am very proud of her. This tournament showcased her.

As for Serena, always the best. :inlove:

Maybe not in Europe, but in the US, women's tennis > men's tennis.

sharapovarulz1
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Both very good responses :D

rrfnpump
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I love how Serena says "Me and Venus?" instead of "Venus and me?" :D

I agree with terjw.