PDA

View Full Version : What can coaches learn from Richard Williams

Serenita
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:31 PM
With many Top players: Davenport, Clijsters,Hingis , Henin, Cap, Momo.(i propbably forgot someone)
Retired or just plain injured. And the fact that the sisters are still doing strong in tennis.
Richard did a great job not letting the sisters play to much tennis when they where young.

Granted serena and venus had there share of injuries. But seeing what the last ten years off retiree/injuries has done to the wta this was a great choice he made for the sisters.
He has been critized many of times, but hats off for richard.:worship:

maybe it's time that coaches take a diffrent stance on playing so many tourny a year. When players are young and starting out.

drake3781
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Your thesis has so many holes I don't know where to begin poking.

That being said it is good to see V and S still in action, when they do play.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Your thesis has so many holes I don't know where to begin poking.

That being said it is good to see V and S still in action, when they do play.

I be interested to hear where you think all the "holes" in Moriah's thesis are. I don't think Moriah's thinking is all that off the mark and indeed is a VERY legitimate question.

drake3781
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I be interested to hear where you think all the "holes" in Moriah's thesis are. I don't think Moriah's thinking is all that off the mark and indeed is a VERY legitimate question.

If you are interested, do me a favor. Spend fifteen minute refuting her thesis, as if you were assigned it as a writing project. Look at the names in her post, their so-called retirements and/or injuries, and the injuries of the WS and their playing schedules over the past years; focus on recently. Bonus points for tying in the argument that WS really "deserve" the #1 and #2 ranking, and refuting that statement. If you would do that, post it (you can label it saying you don't agree with this but wrote it as an exercise in understanding other viewpoints), then I'll put fifteen minutes into it as well.

schorsch
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM
If you are interested, do me a favor. Spend fifteen minute refuting her thesis, as if you were assigned it as a writing project. Look at the names in her post, their so-called retirements and/or injuries, and the injuries of the WS and their playing schedules over the past years; focus on recently. Bonus points for tying in the argument that WS really "deserve" the #1 and #2 ranking, and refuting that statement. If you would do that, post it (you can label it saying you don't agree with this but wrote it as an exercise in understanding other viewpoints), then I'll put fifteen minutes into it as well.

:lol:

mckyle.
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM
To not base your entire game around power and ballbashing, because it causes many serious injuries to your player's body. Thankfully, I've read that many coaches of today's younger players are starting to teach a more subtle game with not as much power to save their players from serious injury.

Serenita
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:09 PM

Don't be paranoid,and in noway is stated that WS should be 1, 2 of the
You are so para you really dont understand what iam saying. It's simple!
Tennis has change, Richard W did the right thing at the time to not let the girls play so much tennis. And if you look at the last 10 years of wta, there are to much Retirees and Injured players who are unable to come back at the top of there game.

If you really think it's all ok just look at the list YOUNG players that has left the game.

Maybe it's about time that some take there heads out off there asses and adress the issue! unlike paranoid thinking that everything revolves among them.
It would have been so sweet if all these girls where still playing there game. but thats not the case. which brings me to my point.

Let them play lot's off tennis when they are young or just a few tourny's a year?

Nicolás89
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:18 PM
With many Top players: Davenport, Clijsters,Hingis , Henin, Cap, Momo.(i propbably forgot someone)
Retired or just plain injured. And the fact that the sisters are still doing strong in tennis.
Richard did a great job not letting the sisters play to much tennis when they where young.

Granted serena and venus had there share of injuries. But seeing what the last ten years off retiree/injuries has done to the wta this was a great choice he made for the sisters.
He has been critized many of times, but hats off for richard.:worship:

maybe it's time that coaches take a diffrent stance on playing so many tourny a year. When players are young and starting out.

Clijsters, Henin and Hingis retired for personal choices, or were forced to (Martina).
And Jennifer Capriati still played more years than Venus, not counting her ban.
Davenport also have played more years.

And not to be mean, but the sisters wouldn't play that much when they were young even if Richard wanted to.

He was a great coach though.

jimbo mack
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:23 PM
dont forget serena and venus have had lengthy absences from the tour also

but its great they're still around

woosey
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:30 PM
why can't people give richard the props he deserves?

he has coached two players who happen to be his daughters who also happened to have 14 (and counting) singles slam titles between them.

papa stefano, carlos, melanie - none of them can top richard's (and oracene's) coaching accomplishments.

lympyisthebest
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:34 PM
What about Ai Sugiyama? She turned pro in 1992, plays 20+ tournaments a year, plays singles and doubles at every tournament, regularly plays singles doubles and mixed at the GS, hasn't missed a GS event since 1994. :worship:

But he did do a terrific job, and great to see them both playing. :D

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:38 PM

:lol: as much as I'd like to take you up on your offer (actually not really. You sound like my constitutional law professor. :lol: ), I simply don't have time. But I admire the spirit of your suggestion (if sincere and not cynical), as arguing both sides of an issue is very valuable.

I'm actually more interested in the holes you said you could poke into it.

neorules
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:25 AM
I've got to jump in here and say that one critical point that is always overlooked in the Williams story is the 7.2 million from Reebok when the girls were young. That money was the reason they could make a lot of the decisions they did as well as buying a LOT of high level coaching that many other players could not afford. That sponsorship may be the biggest single reason the sisters are where they are now. Without that money they could still have had success, but not on their terms.

Serenidad.
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Mmm. Mental Toughness.

Junex
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:58 AM
why can't people give richard the props he deserves?

he has coached two players who happen to be his daughters who also happened to have 14 (and counting) singles slam titles between them.

papa stefano, carlos, melanie - none of them can top richard's (and oracene's) coaching accomplishments.

Well have stefano have 2 jennifers, melanie 2 martina's or Carlos 2 justine's... then maybe they could come close! :p

Richard is a good coach but remember that it doesn't go tat a good coach produce a great athlete. It comes both ways! Williams family are blessed two of the greatest female athletes comes from their gene pool!

The issue of having too many injured athletes is no way to be attributed to playing too much or less.. remember the WS have been injured too many times in their whole career, and the fact that they don't play too much in their junior years refute you stance!

tennnisfannn
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:29 AM
I've got to jump in here and say that one critical point that is always overlooked in the Williams story is the 7.2 million from Reebok when the girls were young. That money was the reason they could make a lot of the decisions they did as well as buying a LOT of high level coaching that many other players could not afford. That sponsorship may be the biggest single reason the sisters are where they are now. Without that money they could still have had success, but not on their terms.
Granted the aforementioned players did not reitre early for lack of money. One could argue that the reason Kim, myskina, and Justine chose early retirements was the presence of money in abundance rather than it's lack.

LeonHart
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I believe Davenport is still playing :)

Dodoboy.
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Make Tennis #2.

Dodoboy.
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:23 AM
HAPPY WILLIAMS DAY every1 :kiss:

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Players are injured reguardless of playing with power. You cant blame a power game on injuries...hell...with sports come injuries..its simple as that. But I agree with the starter of this topic. Richard has done well with these girls...they've dominated, started other careers, both been #1, GREAT role models and inspiration to the black community, represented Americans (when all others have been eliminated) and has kept family values and maintained respect for each other reguardless of media, discrimination and money. Say what you want to say damnit but I'm sorry, THAT says alot about RICHARD and Oracene.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:42 AM
HAPPY WILLIAMS DAY every1 :kiss:

THANK YOU!!! :worship: Happy Williams day to you as well!!!! LMAO you should start a topic entitled that!