PDA

View Full Version : Ladies Doubles Final is going to be played tomorrow!

The Kaz
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:31 PM
:eek: Wimbledon is actually messing with tradition!

mckyle.
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Wimbledon is doing this to mess with the sisters' heads. Now my baby gurls has to play too championships in ONE DAY!! They are trying to STRESS them OUT!! WIMBLEDON is RACIST and SEXIST.

With Love,

Dawn Marie.

Adal
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:38 PM
rena babygurl :awww:

The Kaz
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Wimbledon is doing this to mess with the sisters' heads. Now my baby gurls has to play too championships in ONE DAY!! They are trying to STRESS them OUT!! WIMBLEDON is RACIST and SEXIST.

Wow what a reaction :lol:

Wimby obviously loves Lisa and Sammy :hearts:

jimbo mack
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:39 PM
how retarded, wimbledon organization is beyond belief

drake3781
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Order of Play:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=349112

Oneofakind0490
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:42 PM
When is it normally played.The Sunday? I thought it was weird when I was looking at tickets earlier in the week and it said the doubles final was the same day as the womens final.

starred06
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Yea seriously I don't know what the organizers at wimbledon are smoking. They re-scheduled Nadal's matches so that he could watch Spain semis and final in Euro Cup. Now they are making the WS play 2 championship on the same day. Ridiculous.

And Larry Scott, as incompetent as usual, just isn't doing enough to bring more the attention to this.

Dave.
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:43 PM
This was already planned from the start of the tournament.

Lolo8
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:45 PM
They don't want the two negro girls sharing the same spotlite with Rogie and the butt picker.

The Kaz
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:45 PM
This was already planned from the start of the tournament.

Oh ok...still weird though.

Saturday is usually Women's Singles/Men's Doubles
Sunday is usually Men's Singles/Mixed Doubles/Women's Doubles

:shrug:

jimbo mack
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:47 PM
why is always the female players who get the shitty end of the stick at wimbledon?

something needs to be done

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:52 PM
big match tomorrow
Laura Robson on C1 :rocker:
that better be on BBC (not on BBCi) :p

Dave.
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Oh ok...still weird though.

Saturday is usually Women's Singles/Men's Doubles

Well last year they had Men's Singles and Mixed Doubles on CC and Men's and Women's Doubles on C1 all on the last day.
Only the Women's Singles was on Saturday.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Well last year they had Men's Singles and Mixed Doubles on CC and Men's and Women's Doubles on C1 all on the last day.

that was cos of all the shit weather

friendsita
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:56 PM
after what happened to Martina last year and this... Wimbledon can go a la mierda!

mr_burns
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:56 PM
in wimbledon lot of things depend on the rain

and maybe they wnatend to play on saturday

is not that big disadvantage, it's quite common for doubles that you play singles before

maybe they know that it will rain the whole sunday

the sister will win anyway

azinna
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:59 PM
....Saturday is usually Women's Singles/Men's Doubles

This previous schedule is clearly best for the possible male or female singles finalist in any one of doubles final. But it may not jive with fanbases? There are quite a few fans of men's or women's tennis only or mostly, and they'd probably prefer the current schedule. Or TV corporations may have had a say in this, arguing that they could enhance viewership and advertising with a Women's Singles/Doubles Saturday then a Men's Singles/Doubles Sunday.

My opinion: how would this sort of scheduling encourage singles slam contenders to play doubles?

LightWarrior
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:01 PM
This can't be true ! The latest stages in GS never have women's singles and doubles on the same day in case players are still in the same competition.
They already fucked up for the 4th round, they're doing it again, just on purpose to start another controversy. Disgusting on all levels. Officials at Wimbledon are just hypocritical fuckers.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:03 PM
obviously Venus & Serena have to shopping on Sunday to find a dress for the Wimbledon Ball ;)
no one thought of this :spit:

starin
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Venus and Serena are screwed. They're going to be mentally and emotionally worn out for the doubles final.

robbie12
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:35 PM
The women's doubles final has been on Saturday before. I remember in 1995, Sanchez Vicario (having already played the singles final earlier that day) came back to play the doubles final with Novotna. The match eventually got suspended at 4-4 in the 3rd set and they came back the next day to play the last two games.

1995 was the last year there wasn't a single rain delay so they were fully up to date with all the matches. Similarly this year the weather has been that good (I think there have only been 2 days affected by rain and even then the delay was short). I think the women's doubles is usually done on the Sunday because nearly every year there's that much of a backlog it gets pushed back!

edificio
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Well, having both the men's and the women's doubles on the same day seems fine. Too bad V/S will be a bit tired; but they still may win. In any case, this was probably planned before the tournament began. How were they (the AEC) to know that V/S would be in the final of the singles and the doubles? Tempest in a teapot.

Wannabeknowitall
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:04 PM

With Love,

Dawn Marie.

:haha: With Love :haha:

I mean seriously does it really matter what day they play.

Serena and Venus beat the other top seeds like they stole something.

I love Lisa but do I really believe that Lyme Diseased Sammy and pudgy Lisa are going to beat Serena and Venus? No.

Marty-Dom
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Here is what the sisters should do, especially if their singles match goes to 3 sets. They should ask the officials for rescheduling for Sunday or they will forfeit their doubles match. If the organizers refuse the request and gladly crown Stosur and Raymond as doubles champions (all while cutting the show short and pissing off expensive ticket holders), it will be clear that they indeed are prejudiced against Venus and Serena, and this will also put their previous scheduling decisions in a much more clear light.
On the other hand, if they agree to move the doubles final to Sunday, it will show that all the previous talk about disrespect for women in general and WS in particular was unfounded.
A bit of poker face from the sisters at the last minute could do them a lot of good.

WF4EVER
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I thought I was crazy thinking there was something wrong with tomorrow's schedule, but apparently I'm not or I'm not the only one.

Wimby is really fucking with the Williamses, aren't they?

Are they playing on Court 2 tomorrow again? Hehe.

Good luck, Sisters, please sweep tomorrow again. Fuck Wimby. They are so full of shit.

WF4EVER
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:01 PM
obviously Venus & Serena have to shopping on Sunday to find a dress for the Wimbledon Ball ;)

I believe they have their dresses already. :D

Danči Dementia
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:02 PM
They don't want the two negro girls sharing the same spotlite with Rogie and the butt picker.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pureracket
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I thought I was crazy thinking there was something wrong with tomorrow's schedule, but apparently I'm not or I'm not the only one.

Wimby is really fucking with the Williamses, aren't they?

Are they playing on Court 2 tomorrow again? Hehe.

Good luck, Sisters, please sweep tomorrow again. Fuck Wimby. They are so full of shit.Dick Enberg said they'd play the doubles finals on CC.

Destiny
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I am actuallly pissed off
What the hell?

They play doubles today singles tommorrow and doubles later

That's a bit heavy isn't it Wimbledon what the hell they really must not like us "good people" :p

tommystar
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:10 PM
For Sunday there is heavy and almost all-day-long rain forecasted, so that's why they put the women's doubles final to Saturday, hoping a long men's final, with a lot of rain there is hardly a chance to play the women's doubles.

If I know well in 1985 the dub's final was also played on Saturday, when Pam and Martina's 109-match-winning streak got broken in the finals, Navratilova won the sinlges of course earlier that day, and still had 2 matches on Sunday in the mixed, winning the SF 6-7 7-5 23-21 and the final with only a cakewalk 7-5 4-6 6-2 score. That's really nothing.

WF4EVER
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:44 PM
For Sunday there is heavy and almost all-day-long rain forecasted, so that's why they put the women's doubles final to Saturday, hoping a long men's final, with a lot of rain there is hardly a chance to play the women's doubles.

If I know well in 1985 the dub's final was also played on Saturday, when Pam and Martina's 109-match-winning streak got broken in the finals, Navratilova won the sinlges of course earlier that day, and still had 2 matches on Sunday in the mixed, winning the SF 6-7 7-5 23-21 and the final with only a cakewalk 7-5 4-6 6-2 score. That's really nothing.

Considering the sisters are in the doubles final they should be given a reasonable time to get over the emotions of the singles and prepare for the doubles. I remember a few years ago when Venus made the MXD finals with (Mike?) Bryan he had to play his doubles final before that match and he was flat the whole match. They did not get a fair opportunity to compete against Ram and Zvonareva.

The scheduling is very poor, especially considering they haven't had as much rain as last year or other years prior to that.

Pureracket
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:46 PM
They want nothing to get in the way of the Rafa/Fed encounter. Oddly, Fed won the same number of games in a 3 set match @ the French that the womens runner up won @ the French. Why do the men get paid so much? They play fewer games.

Serenita
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Wimby is getting worst and worst each year. They can't handle that the 2 sisters are in the final.

Marty-Dom
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Considering the sisters are in the doubles final they should be given a reasonable time to get over the emotions of the singles and prepare for the doubles. I remember a few years ago when Venus made the MXD finals with (Mike?) Bryan he had to play his doubles final before that match and he was flat the whole match. They did not get a fair opportunity to compete against Ram and Zvonareva.

The scheduling is very poor, especially considering they haven't had as much rain as last year or other years prior to that.

I saw that match. It was Bob Brian who lost his serve twice in the second set costing Venus a title. He was coming down very hard from the high of winning men's doubles title.
Based on that experience alone Venus should put her foot down and say no to 1 hour rest between finals.

Harvs
Jul 4th, 2008, 10:28 PM
theyve got the mens doubles final between the womens singles and doubles finals... so theres 3-5 sets plus presentations for them to get prepared.

theyre professionals... they will be able to deal with this

Marty-Dom
Jul 4th, 2008, 10:39 PM
...;13561357']theyve got the mens doubles final between the womens singles and doubles finals... so theres 3-5 sets plus presentations for them to get prepared.

theyre professionals... they will be able to deal with this

Can you imagine Venus playing a doubles match 2 hours after her final against Lindsay in 2005? What if tomorrow's singles final is as intense as that one was?

Harvs
Jul 4th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Can you imagine Venus playing a doubles match 2 hours after her final against Lindsay in 2005? What if tomorrow's final is as intense as that one was?

true... but if anyone can handle that, its going to be venus and serena...

wimbledon has obviously scheduled it this way for a reason and we havent heard venus and serena complain?

but yeah.. im just saying, i think they will be able to deal with it fine

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:18 PM
It's usually on Sunday. Boggles the mind....

tobi
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:58 PM
As mentioned because of the rain,even Bjorkman/Molik had to play their SF of Mixed on sunday morning as far as I remember.

They were so behind on the schedule last year,especially for the doubles.

Serenita
Jul 5th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I remember last year with all the rain, Wimby didn't change tradition for the first saturday. they kept the scheduled. Wich make it a weird dicission at the time.

why change tradition now?

beecharmer
Jul 5th, 2008, 12:10 AM
People who are complaining about this don't know their tennis. Every year Navratilova had to play her doubles final after the singles final [and if rain was a factor, the mixed was involved too] and this carried on into the 90's.

Avid Merrion
Jul 5th, 2008, 12:15 AM

please, the girls had those outfits bought before they even got to London :cool:

i'd always thought the Ladies doubles was played on a Sunday but i may be wrong. whatever, i'm sure they'll cope :) good luck girls!! :D

In The Zone
Jul 5th, 2008, 12:17 AM

With Love,

Dawn Marie.

:rolls: :haha:

-Sonic-
Jul 5th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Sunday says heavy rain.

Playing 2 matches on Saturday is preferable than playing one on a 3rd Monday? I assume the schedulers would get it in the neck for this also.

I guess the other option would be to put it on court 1 to 12 spectators while the Mens Final is on... but that'd get people angry at the schedulers also!

Marty-Dom
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Sunday says heavy rain.

Playing 2 matches on Saturday is preferable than playing one on a 3rd Monday? I assume the schedulers would get it in the neck for this also.

I guess the other option would be to put it on court 1 to 12 spectators while the Mens Final is on... but that'd get people angry at the schedulers also!

If the final is intense, physically and mentally draining on the sisters (it will most likely be the case) it would be better for them to finish up on Monday than play right away.

tanisha's_juice
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Here is what the sisters should do, especially if their singles match goes to 3 sets. They should ask the officials for rescheduling for Sunday or they will forfeit their doubles match. If the organizers refuse the request and gladly crown Stosur and Raymond as doubles champions (all while cutting the show short and pissing off expensive ticket holders), it will be clear that they indeed are prejudiced against Venus and Serena, and this will also put their previous scheduling decisions in a much more clear light.
On the other hand, if they agree to move the doubles final to Sunday, it will show that all the previous talk about disrespect for women in general and WS in particular was unfounded.
A bit of poker face from the sisters at the last minute could do them a lot of good.

serena and venus are to professional to pull a stunt like that, how dare you suggest they do something low down like that.

drake3781
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:36 AM
If you think this was decided in order to screw the WS you are c-r-a-z-y. Any idea what it takes to run a grand slam tennis tournament? Think you can set up a match schedule after you see who won/lost in the semis? :weirdo: :weirdo: :rolleyes:

Marcus1979
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Is this wimbledon's way of exacting revenge after the equal pay issues ;)

Marty-Dom
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:44 AM
If you think this was decided in order to screw the WS you are c-r-a-z-y. Any idea what it takes to run a grand slam tennis tournament? Think you can set up a match schedule after you see who won/lost in the semis? :weirdo: :weirdo: :rolleyes:
Sorry, but the schedule for the next day is always announced at the end of the current day. It would be absolutely no problem to shuffle some matches around in order to accommodate the champions.

Chunchun
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:52 AM

With Love,

Dawn Marie.

you said my words :worship:

thesupernova
Jul 5th, 2008, 02:02 AM
does anyone know if the match will be on tv in the states?

Dave.
Jul 5th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Sorry, but the schedule for the next day is always announced at the end of the current day. It would be absolutely no problem to shuffle some matches around in order to accommodate the champions.

The event schedule was made way before the tournament began. People who bought centre court tickets a while back knew they were getting to see 3 finals on Saturday. I think they should have left the women's doubles for Sunday but this was decided ages ago.

Marty-Dom
Jul 5th, 2008, 02:11 AM
The event schedule was made way before the tournament began. People who bought centre court tickets a while back knew they were getting to see 3 finals on Saturday. I think they should have left the women's doubles for Sunday but this was decided ages ago.

Guess what. They know while buying the tickets that schedule is not 100% set in stone:

We do try to play all matches on the courts and days published. However, occasionally it is necessary to switch a match from one court to another. This can be for a number of reasons. For example:

* We aim to complete The Championships on time and this involves playing 734 matches, in the 13 events, over the 13 days of the tournament.
* Some players remain involved in several events towards the end of the Championships and it may be necessary to move a match to avoid a clash.
* We try to give similar rest periods between matches for players due to play each other.
* A match which is unlikely to finish because of a late start caused by duration of previous matches may be postponed to the following day. In this event another match may be substituted.

We recognise that this may be frustrating for spectators and we apologise for the rare occasions when circumstances necessitate a change to the published Schedule of Play. We hope you will appreciate why such changes have been made.

gmokb
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:39 AM
I was surprised and concerned when I saw the schedule, concern because the losing sister is going to be sad and needs time to regroup. I remember how Serena had to be encouraging Vee in the doubles final after she defeated her in the singles. I think it will be especially hard on Vee if she is the loser. Oh well, they just have to give it their best shot. All the best girls and sweep clean.

Harvs
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:47 AM
idiots... its disgusting that some fo u think wimbledon is against the WS

starin
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Guess what. They know while buying the tickets that schedule is not 100% set in stone:

so basically Wimbledon Organizers scheduled the doubles final for Saturday at the beg. of the tournament. I'll give them that much credit. But now knowing that the WS will be in the singles and doubles final they could schedule the doubles final for Sunday when it's usually played. but they choose not to. And this gives Raymond/Stosur a huge mental edge because well the loser of the singles final is going to emotionally down and out and the winner will be on cloud 9 and distracted plus all the tension that might still be there between the sisters after the match. Well can't be changed so I guess Raymond/Stosur will have a huge advantage in the match let's see if they can actually use it.

darrinbaker00
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:17 AM
so basically Wimbledon Organizers scheduled the doubles final for Saturday at the beg. of the tournament. I'll give them that much credit. But now knowing that the WS will be in the singles and doubles final they could schedule the doubles final for Sunday when it's usually played. but they choose not to. And this gives Raymond/Stosur a huge mental edge because well the loser of the singles final is going to emotionally down and out and the winner will be on cloud 9 and distracted plus all the tension that might still be there between the sisters after the match. Well can't be changed so I guess Raymond/Stosur will have a huge advantage in the match let's see if they can actually use it.
If Federer-Nadal goes the distance again, you're looking at around 7:00 PM before the ladies' doubles finalists take the court, and if they go the distance, you can forget about the winners attending the Champions' Ball. Besides, I'm sure Venus and Serena were well aware of this possibility before they entered the doubles, and if they thought it would have been a problem, they wouldn't have done it.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 5th, 2008, 08:56 AM
They did it in 2002. They'll be fine.

Dodoboy.
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Yeah, i think they will be OK!

But i don't think they want the sisters walking away with two slam titles in one day ?

sharapovarulz1
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Wow never thought I would see the day when they changed things at Wimbledon!

Experimentee
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Not fair to make them play two championshp matches in a day :rolleyes:

They will be tired from all the emotion and effort of the singles final.

GoDominique
Jul 5th, 2008, 12:24 PM
http://aeltc.wimbledon.org/en_GB/about/guide/schedule.html

The schedule was known beforehand so if Williamses had had a problem with playing two finals on one day they would have
a) not entered doubles or
b) tanked the doubles.

This didn't happen so

STFU you crazy obsessed racist Willi fanatics.

Thanks.

GoDominique
Jul 5th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Wow never thought I would see the day when they changed things at Wimbledon!
There was no change you stupid fuck.

tommystar
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:44 PM
And how fair was that which the sisters had to so in 2002?
They played the singles final (Serena won 7-5 6-3) and then after only one 6-4 set (a suspended mixed final set Hantuchova/Ullyett d. Raymond/Paes 7-6 4-6 6-4) they had to play the doubles semifinal vs. Kournikova/Rubin, and won only in 3 sets 6-7 6-0 6-3.
They also won the final on Sunday vs. Ruano/Suarez.

Harvs
Jul 5th, 2008, 03:50 PM
http://aeltc.wimbledon.org/en_GB/about/guide/schedule.html

The schedule was known beforehand so if Williamses had had a problem with playing two finals on one day they would have
a) not entered doubles or
b) tanked the doubles.

This didn't happen so

STFU you crazy obsessed racist Willi fanatics.

Thanks.

it was too:) lol cant believe some morons thought wimbledon organisers scheduled this just in hope that the williamses would lose

eck
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:02 PM
So are they or not?