PDA

View Full Version : Cheating, when challenging calls!!!!

Serenita
Jul 4th, 2008, 05:26 PM
:mad:I'm getting sick and tired of Players who can't decide for themselves if they should challenge or not.
They actually ask there coaches, moms and others if they shall Challenge a call.

This just ridiculous, they should get a warning then lose a point.(because it's coaching)which is cheating and must stop!:mad:
Tennis is not a team sport! This not only affects the game but how the game is being played.
Elena, JJ,Pova,ANA, and many others do this shit, it must stop.:(
WTA should take appropriate actions against this!

lanpham6
Jul 4th, 2008, 05:27 PM
i agree

Adal
Jul 4th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Never seen Maria do that. She usually asks the umpire if the ball was close or not.
But I agree that asking their box whether they will challenge shouldn't be allowed.

Warrior
real cheating is bad line calls

Harvs
i no they need to enforce a rule on it.

all players do it and its just stupid

Serenita
Jul 4th, 2008, 05:33 PM
real cheating is bad line calls

Bad line calls is just a part of the game, but asking your box wether the ball is out, is just cheating!:o

Groenefelder25
Jul 4th, 2008, 05:35 PM
i dont see the harm in it? they just want a second opinion, because lets face it if their ball was in, or their opponent ball was out then they deserve the point no matter what.

terjw
Jul 4th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Anything that helps correct a bad line call is a good thing. It's not really cheating - and that's why the players usually and sensibly don't get warnings for it. The purpose of Hawkeye was never to set some sort of test to the players without help. It was simply so that wrong line-calls could get corrected.. In other sports - players don't have to challenge to use hawkeye. The decision to use hawkeye is made by the umpire. In cricket - the umpire automatically uses hawkeye for close run out decisions.

It may be "coaching" according to a definition that was drafted before hawkeye existed. But you don't need to be a coach to say whether a ball was in or out.

Players often try to get assistance from the chair umpire by asking him/her. Nowadays the umpires nearly all oblige by saying "It was In" or "It was out" or "It was close". It would make sense if they legalised that assistance in whether to challenge was allowed.

Cracking down on it - which I don't think they'll do - won't do a thing. Doesn't have to be the coach. And they'll just have less detectable signals. In other words - the only difference is it will be worse because players will now be deceitful and do it obeying the 11th commandment "Thou shalt not get caught".

Introducing more challenges is another thing they might do so it's less likely a player runs out of challenges.

Serenita
Jul 4th, 2008, 05:57 PM
i donít see the harm in it? They just want a second opinion, because lets face it if their ball was in, or their opponent ball was out then they deserve the point no matter what.

If they want a second opinion they should play doubles and ask there partner if it's in our out.

Like i said before its how the game is played! and for all those cheaters who do break the rules, they must get penalties.;)

HTE
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:05 PM
The challenge system is ridiculous enough as it is. As long as it isn't available on all courts during a championship it is an unfair advantage to certain players.

thetennistimes
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:10 PM
They look to their coaches and parents for assurances, because you only get a certain amount of challenges, so you really have to make sure you do it at the right times. If you do and get it wrong, then you could just waste a challenge that might be needed later in the set.

terjw
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Well you can all moan all you like. I applaud the authorities and chair umpires for not giving warnings and jeopardising the chances of overturning an incorrect line call which no-one whining here seems concerned about.

I think that's how it will stay with more sense shown than the whiners here.

Bruno71
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:17 PM
:mad:I'm getting sick and tired of Players who can't decide for themselves if they should challenge or not.
They actually ask there coaches, moms and others if they shall Challenge a call.

This just ridiculous, they should get a warning then lose a point.(because it's coaching)which is cheating and must stop!:mad:
Tennis is not a team sport! This not only affects the game but how the game is being played.

Don't forget Serena & Venus. Yes, I've seen them both do it. You're talking about pretty much every player here.

Temperenka
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:19 PM
The challenge system dosen't really work anyways. In the Safin vs. Federer match, Safin challeneged a close serve and the machine picked up the wrong mark and showed it at least 3 feet away. ridiculous. everyone just laughed including Safin and Federer and I don't think it costed Safin a challenge. THe whole system is flawed, imo.

Willam
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:26 PM
what a stupid thread.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:27 PM
The challenge system is 500 times better than the "system" before though.

drake3781
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:29 PM
The challenge system dosen't really work anyways. In the Safin vs. Federer match, Safin challeneged a close serve and the machine picked up the wrong mark and showed it at least 3 feet away. ridiculous. everyone just laughed including Safin and Federer and I don't think it costed Safin a challenge. THe whole system is flawed, imo.

I just saw that, lol. :lol:

bjurra
The challenge system is ridiculous enough as it is. As long as it isn't available on all courts during a championship it is an unfair advantage to certain players.

It is also very unfair that Zheng didn't get to play on CC until her match against Serena who is very used to that court. They should build 20 identical CCs at SW19 to erase the injustice.

drake3781
I pretty much agree with the OP, on the original point.

Serenita
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Don't forget Serena & Venus. Yes, I've seen them both do it. You're talking about pretty much every player here.

So what you are saying all players do it that why it's fair.

IT's coaching plain and simple, which is cheating!
And to go back to my point, when you are being coached on court that's against the rules. So penalties should be applied.

UDACHi
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:41 PM
shut up whiner.

Bruno71
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:46 PM
So what you are saying all players do it that why it's fair.

IT's coaching plain and simple, which is cheating!
And to go back to my point, when you are being coached on court that's against the rules. So penalties should be applied.

I never said it was fair or unfair, just common. What's unfair is you singling out a few players when just about every player with access to the challenge system has done it.

cocco80
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Much ado about nothing.

cocco80
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I never said it was fair or unfair, just common. What's unfair is you singling out a few players when just about every player with access to the challenge system has done it.

:yeah:

Willam
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:51 PM
It is also very unfair that Zheng didn't get to play on CC until her match against Serena who is very used to that court. They should build 20 identical CCs at SW19 to erase the injustice.

Idiot.

Indeed.

Serenita
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:57 PM

It's very common among the those player's JJ is allway's asking her mom/coach if the ball was out or not. Elena also has that nasty habbit of asking her bench if the ball was out. Like i said before tennis is not a teamsport! anybody who want's to play a team sport should play doubles. What's next coaches calling lineballs? coaches doing the empire job.

this is taking away from tennis in so many way's it's just ridicoulus.
Tennis is mind game and if you can solve it, let just ask my coach if the ball is in or out! period it should be banned and have penalties.

UDACHi
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:59 PM
is it even against the rules?

faboozadoo15
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:02 PM
What a stupid thread? Yes it's a bit of cheating, but the fact that it's a CHALLENGE system designed to correct calls-- ie, give points to the rightful victor-- I don't see as much of a problem with it. If your ball was in, you deserve the point. The challenge system is there to give players the opportunity to overturn calls that go against them. It's not like they're looking to their box asking where to hit their forehand.

LeonHart
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:04 PM
How is it cheating? If it's in it's in and if it's out it's out. How is that cheating to win the match?

HTE
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:09 PM
How is it cheating? If it's in it's in and if it's out it's out. How is that cheating to win the match?

it's cheating if you ask someone outside of the court if you should use one of your challenges or not. That's coaching and thus illegal.

Warrior
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Bad line calls is just a part of the game, but asking your box wether the ball is out, is just cheating!:o
even on bp, sp or mp?

Serenita
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:14 PM
even on bp, sp or mp?

ITs not a team sport, if the player think it's out she or he should challenge but don't bring you bench into it.

Bruno71
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:20 PM
It's very common among the those player's JJ is allway's asking her mom/coach if the ball was out or not. Elena also has that nasty habbit of asking her bench if the ball was out. Like i said before tennis is not a teamsport! anybody who want's to play a team sport should play doubles. What's next coaches calling lineballs? coaches doing the empire job.

this is taking away from tennis in so many way's it's just ridicoulus.
Tennis is mind game and if you can solve it, let just ask my coach if the ball is in or out! period it should be banned and have penalties.

And again, you're singling out players who do it more obviously or more often. If it's unfair, then anyone who's ever done it is included.

Personally, I think the whole thing might be rectified by just doling out a significant amount more challenges to the players and enforcing a no-talking rule. But it's up to the WTA and its umpires to enforce the players not chattering with their boxes about it. If any of these players can get away with it, they'll do it. And that's just how it is until the WTA does something about it...it's not the players' fault for doing what every other player does.

lympyisthebest
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:22 PM

I agree, in is in, out is out.

Technicalities in the rulebook classify it as cheating though. :(

Warrior
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:01 PM
ITs not a team sport, if the player think it's out she or he should challenge but don't bring you bench into it.

So if there was a bad call the crowd boos and a player challenges based on that it's still not fair?

ivanban
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:35 PM

OMFG, are you that ignorant?! Have you ever played tennis?! Do you know how hard is to properly see any 'problematic' ball that lands close to line, especially those around base line?!!! :rolleyes:
Challenges shouldn't have been given to players in the first place, but to chair umpire! It should be his/her job to decide what's in/out, and players should be just able to ask for challenge if they think that ongoing point should be stopped.
Player should concentrate on his/her game and not constantly looking if there was a bad line call!!!

youizahoe
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I think hawk eye at grand slams should be automatically, replace the damn linesmen and umpire, they aren't good for anything. Especially when you are called Mariana Alves.

Players need to grow up and decide for themselves if they wanna challenge or not.

youizahoe
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:36 PM
OMFG, are you that ignorant?! Have you ever played tennis?! Do you know how hard is to properly see any 'problematic' ball that lands close to line, especially those around base line?!!! :rolleyes:
Challenges shouldn't have been given to players in the first place, but to chair umpire! It should be his/her job to decide what's in/out, and players should be just able to ask for challenge if they think that ongoing point should be stopped.

I as a pretty experienced tennis player, know exactly when my ball is out, and I've tested it on clay, and I'm pretty much right every single time.

-VSR-
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:37 PM

Wrong. Venus challenges once every 2 years so you're wrong. Serena rarely does either and doesn't rely on her box for answers.

I know you're upset because Jankovic looks at her box every 5 minutes but trying to bring in Venus and Serena into this topic is pathetic. They rarely challenge and sure as hell don't ask Papa Williams or Oracene.

youizahoe
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Wrong. Venus challenges once every 2 years so you're wrong. Serena rarely does either and doesn't rely on her box for answers.

I know you're upset because Jankovic looks at her box every 5 minutes but trying to bring in Venus and Serena into this topic is pathetic. They rarely challenge and sure as hell don't ask Papa Williams or Oracene.

True. Also Oracene doesn't get into the challenging, because she believes, when you are wrong, you will feel less focused and more angry at yourself, and eventually giving away your momentum by gaining frustration.

So even if Serena or Venus does look, she doesn't say yes or no.

ivanban
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I as a pretty experienced tennis player, know exactly when my ball is out, and I've tested it on clay, and I'm pretty much right every single time.

Maybe you're tall as Karlovic :lol:

youizahoe
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Maybe you're tall as Karlovic :lol:

I am 6ft3 1m93. But if you hzve played over 300 matches in your life, and you have a trainer that makes you hit 500 strokes without missing, on every position of the court, and punishes you when you don't. For like the last 15 years...

You pretty much start to feel when it goed wrong and out.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:58 PM

Agreed.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:00 PM

I've never seen them do it, but if they do..., yeah! Them too! No exceptions!

EDIT: OFF TOPIC-

Adal, I love your av' and sig' pics of Maria and her friend. THOSE are some of the best pics of Maria I've seen. They have a 60s retro-glam feel.

Serenita
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Player should concentrate on his/her game and not constantly looking if there was a bad line call!!!

Ooh please, this has nothing to do me playing tennis, and yes i played for some years!
What's so ignorant, that you have players asking there boxes if they should challenge or not. So before you get on your high horse learn the rules and they clearly state "no coaching on court"
Introducing new technology into sports is not a bad thing. but letting players cheat because they think they have the right to do so. It's very simple if your going to challenge do it by yourself and not ask your coach to help decide wether it's in or out.

Players who do this on a regular bases shows how weak they are mentally. they can't play the game by themselves so they need help.
Cheating i call that!

Direwolf
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:06 PM
i so agree...
not only that...
when a player makes a mistake..
they should at their coach??

why them?? you made the mistake..
not the coach...

ivanban
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Ooh please, this has nothing to do me playing tennis, and yes i played for some years!
What's so ignorant, that you have players asking there boxes if they should challenge or not. So before you get on your high horse learn the rules and they clearly state "no coaching on court"
Introducing new technology into sports is not a bad thing. but letting players cheat because they think they have the right to do so. It's very simple if your going to challenge do it by yourself and not ask your coach to help decide wether it's in or out.

Players who do this on a regular bases shows how weak they are mentally. they can't play the game by themselves so they need help.
Cheating i call that!

You totally missed the point of my message
Plus, if a chair umpire who's sitting sideways at the center of court on high chair can't see for sure if ball was in/out, how can a player see better?!!!

Apoleb
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:11 PM
It's stupid and it annoys me as a spectator, especially when I see some of them *cough* shouting to their coaches. Next, players will have their own linesmen that call the points. The rule is there and it should be enforced. There should be no communication between coach and player, and whenever there is, the player should be given a warning.

terjw
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:12 PM

:haha::haha: in your dreams you're right every time.

Bruno71
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:13 PM

I know what I saw. It's rare, but I've seen them both do it. I'm not the one with rose-tinted glasses here.

tommystar
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Good thread, and true the first post.

Istrongly remember a momentum from maybe last year when the chair-umpire didn't allow the player to ask for the challange because she asked her coach previously, and the umpire said "it has to be your own choice!"
Great story, more like that!

ivanban
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I am 6ft3 1m93. But if you hzve played over 300 matches in your life, and you have a trainer that makes you hit 500 strokes without missing, on every position of the court, and punishes you when you don't. For like the last 15 years...

You pretty much start to feel when it goed wrong and out.

I'm afraid you have JJ syndrom - she thinks that even balls half a meter out are in :haha:

Serenita
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I know what I saw. It's rare, but I've seen them both do it. I'm not the one with rose-tinted glasses here.

:rolleyes: look your girl does everytime she gets the chance. WTA should take action against coaching simple as that.
if you don't like the call challenge, but don't cheat. :o

Bruno71
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:22 PM
:rolleyes: look your girl does everytime she gets the chance. WTA should take action against coaching simple as that.
if you don't like the call challenge, but don't cheat. :o

You can talk about "my girl" and what she does all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that I saw "your girls" do relatively the same thing, just in a less obvious way. If you think only the people who do it obviously should be penalized, then you're only excusing the ones who do it more slily. And I have nothing bad to say about Venus & Serena doing it...everyone does it, so it's nothing unusual, until the WTA decides to crack down on it.

WF4EVER
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:49 PM

Absolutely.

And if asking your box if your ball was out or if you should challenge was cheating the WTA should have made a statement on it. The thing is, if you're not supposed to communicate with your coach during the match then the umpire should say something, but they never do. So there is nothing wrong with it, apparently.

incognito
Jul 4th, 2008, 10:00 PM
If this is coaching by definition, then why are the umpires allowed to "coach" players by giving their opinion? I'm sure an umpire wouldn't suggest to a player whether to hit more to the forehand or backhand, so obviously this is a bit different than coaching in the eyes of the umpires as well...

drake3781
Jul 4th, 2008, 10:02 PM
What a stupid thread? Yes it's a bit of cheating, but the fact that it's a CHALLENGE system designed to correct calls-- ie, give points to the rightful victor-- I don't see as much of a problem with it. If your ball was in, you deserve the point. The challenge system is there to give players the opportunity to overturn calls that go against them. It's not like they're looking to their box asking where to hit their forehand.

People can't see why this is chearing? Don't you realize that each player had a fixed number of challenges to use, and if she uses them on the wrong points, she loses the help/advantage that the challenge system provides? Did I really need to spell that out? :rolleyes:

supergrunt
Jul 4th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I have never seen Venus and Serena do this (to the person who said that he had :p ) . I do not mind it that much. It is not as if they are asking their coaches how to win or what strategy to employ.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 4th, 2008, 10:36 PM
You can talk about "my girl" and what she does all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that I saw "your girls" do relatively the same thing, just in a less obvious way. If you think only the people who do it obviously should be penalized, then you're only excusing the ones who do it more slily. And I have nothing bad to say about Venus & Serena doing it...everyone does it, so it's nothing unusual, until the WTA decides to crack down on it.

Bruno, you're smarter than that. Please don't attempt to confuse the issue by conflating the FREQUENCY with which JJ does it v/s the sisters.

Yes. IF the sisters do it, they're wrong, but let's face, JJ is one of the most blatant and frequent offenders.

baleineau
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:46 PM
consulted with your coach or family over whether to use one of your challenges if a tactical choice. was it in or out? should i challenge this early in the set? will it break my concentration? these are things which the player should work out for themselves. you used to see players looking to their camp for confirmation on calls to decide whether they should argue. this is nothing new, but it is seeking advice on what decision to make. it is and should be against the rules, and umpires should enforce these rules fairly i.e. evenly and whenever there is a breach.

-Sonic-
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I think asking the umpire is a ridiculous thing to do... if they disagree with the linesman call then they will (or they should) overrule. I saw earlier this week/end of last week an umpire saying "please challenge" as the umpire disagreed with the linesman call, but was afraid to overrule as he didn't do it right away and didn't want the other player complaining that the overrule came late!?

Hawkeye and the challenge system takes all responsibility away from the umpire. Any authority the umpire has has been diluted. If a player queries anything, the umpires are scared to have an opinion, should the challenge system prove them wrong.

Having said that, i think the challenge system is 100% needed.

Having it on every court would be impossible, in the near future anyway. It doesn't give anyone an advantage as its not as if 1 player has the challenge system available and one doesn't - they either both have it or neither do.

azza
Jul 5th, 2008, 03:58 AM

Its actually mUm...

-VSR-
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:34 AM

You're right, your glasses are filled with envy.

Tennisation
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Never seen Maria do that. She usually asks the umpire if the ball was close or not.
But I agree that asking their box whether they will challenge shouldn't be allowed.:spit:Pova doesn't even bother asking Yuri whether she should challenge, she'll challenge no matter what in a desperate attempt knowing that the ball is out, that's even worse.

moby
Jul 5th, 2008, 06:29 AM
People can't see why this is chearing? Don't you realize that each player had a fixed number of challenges to use, and if she uses them on the wrong points, she loses the help/advantage that the challenge system provides? Did I really need to spell that out? :rolleyes:Good point. However, that's like saying a player who uses up all her challenges wrongly deserves to get bad line calls after that, which goes against the original intent of the challenge system. And there are of course, a myriad other factors in place, e.g. one player might be getting more contentious to-close-to-call line calls - should she get more challenges then?

The challenge system is in place to fix line calls, and the more wrong calls it fixes, the better. Tennis players are out on court to win tennis points, not to determine if they've actually won a point once they've hit the ball. A tennis player who's blind as a bat when it comes to line calls shouldn't be penalised for that.

Asking your box whether a ball is in or out works against your opponent, in the sense that her chances of benefitting from your being screwed over by a bad line call is reduced. But that's what we want, right? Wanting both players to be screwed more, but equally, is a sweet notion that stems from a desire for parity, but misses the point entirely. It certainly ignores those other factors I brought up in the first para.

mal
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I think asking the umpire is a ridiculous thing to do... if they disagree with the linesman call then they will (or they should) overrule. I saw earlier this week/end of last week an umpire saying "please challenge" as the umpire disagreed with the linesman call, but was afraid to overrule as he didn't do it right away and didn't want the other player complaining that the overrule came late!?

Hawkeye and the challenge system takes all responsibility away from the umpire. Any authority the umpire has has been diluted. If a player queries anything, the umpires are scared to have an opinion, should the challenge system prove them wrong.

Having it on every court would be impossible, in the near future anyway. It doesn't give anyone an advantage as its not as if 1 player has the challenge system available and one doesn't - they either both have it or neither do.

Sure, but why don't they have a biro line down the middle of the chalk now that it is possible to judge more accurately?

(It isn't like cricket where the umpire is allowed to give in or out because he is blind as a bat, or feels like letting a batter stay in for a bit because it wasn't that too far out.)

And maybe if they get a correct challenge, that one shouldn't be taken off the total number of challenges?

Challenging takes time. Like the swordsman, you spend a lot of time summing up and choosing when to strike, but when you do it is sudden and final. You want and need to get on with the next point if you won it, but a challenge, even if wrong could break your concentration, or what card players call a winning streak. Winning is all about pressing home an advantage, so to be told, no, hang about for a minute or two while we watch a short film could be frustrating.

HTE
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:42 AM

True, only very few of the umpires display the authority that they should.

I still hope that the hawkeye machines are only here for a short period before they can be replaced by computerized lines.