PDA

View Full Version : Peter Bodo: Three reasons Venus will win

CanIGetAWhat
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Three reasons Venus will win

Friday, July 4, 2008 | Feedback (http://*****.espn.go.com/chat/mailbagESPN?event_id=13566) | Print Entry (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3473414&type=blogEntry)

Posted by Peter Bodo, TENNIS.com

It's time to lay to rest the idea that Venus and Serena Williams are either unable or unwilling to produce a no-holds-barred, drag-out-every-cliché barn burner of a match when they play each other.

For one thing, they're no longer laboring with the kinds of typical teenage insecurities or conflicts that might have put a damper on the meetings they had years ago -- and keep in mind that their head-to-head record goes back over a full decade and 15 matches. It includes five three-set battles. That's the same percentage of three-setters we've witnessed in the past 15 finals of the Australian Open. And the U.S. Open has had just two three-setters in the past 15 years.

Still, this notion that Venus and Serena are too much of a family enterprise to go at it with the requisite ferocity is one of those absurd convictions to which some people cling only because it's what they want to believe. To paraphrase the late New York Sen. Daniel P Moynihan: Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts.

To quote that other master of the sound bite, Serena Williams: "We're good at this now. We just leave everything out on the court. This is the final of Wimbledon. Who doesn't want it?"

That's good enough for me. However, I feel that we still might be in for a short (disappointing, if you insist on clinging to the old meme) final, because Venus Williams -- the defending champion and a four-time winner here -- has a game that is better-suited to grass than that of her kid sister. Here are the three reasons why I think Venus will win:

1. Venus' superior athleticism: Wimbledon champions are not easily typed by style, despite all those now outdated theories that you can serve your way to the title or that playing an attacking style on grass gives you a whopping advantage.

The big winners at Wimbledon -- Pete Sampras, Bjorn Borg, Roger Federer, Martina Navratilova, Venus -- had two things in common: they were superb movers, and were pliant and flexible enough to make all those minute adjustments that low, skidding balls, or balls that pull you way wide, or forward, demand.

In recent years Serena has added power to her game and she's improved her always-spectacular shot-making abilities. She's also a nonpareil competitor, which counts for a lot when there are outright winners to be hit in difficult situations.

But those assets will only carry you so far on grass, unless you just catch a day when everything you touch sends the chalk dust flying or lands for a winning placement. Serena doesn't move as well as she did a few years ago, and it will show.

2. Venue' superior defense: Jelena Jankovic is the only woman on the WTA Tour who can cover the court as well as Venus. Those long legs of Venus' eat up the turf, and her ability to absorb Serena's heaviest thunder and stay in points will prove frustrating to Serena. It may cause her to go for too much over the long haul.

3. Venus' superior stamina: Put it down to body type or put it down to fitness, the bottom line is that Venus is better equipped to survive a long grind. I think turning the match into a track meet will be part of her strategy.

What do you get when you combine superior athleticism with great defense and awesome stamina? You get a Federer, a Borg, a Nadal. You get a surpassing Wimbledon champion, which is what I expect Venus to become -- for the fifth time -- on Saturday.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Serena will still win. C'est la vie said the old folks.

TSequoia01
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:33 PM
He is right about everything except stamina. Venus got tired in the second set against Dementieva. Although she hides it well, Serena will win if it goes 3 sets.

Serenita
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:50 PM
he's right but serena has the mental part of the game!

friendsita
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Come on V!!!
I defff think that V will win on saturday.

thetennistimes
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I think Bodo is wrong. Serena will def. win.

Uranium
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:53 PM
These things were the same for 2002 and 2003 in my opinion and lost. But I still believe that Venus can win tomorrow

moby
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Here are my three reasons:
1) This is grass.
2) This is the f***ing Venus Williams, on grass.
3) This is 2008, not 2002.

Bodo is wrong about the stamina part.

Serenidad.
Jul 4th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Serena Williams d. Venus Williams 6-1 6-3. :)

stevos
Jul 4th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Sorry Pete, thanks for the analysis, but I think it'll be Serena tomorrow. I just think it's been her title since the tournament started, especially in her QF showing.

She just brings herself to another level that Venus sometimes isn't as consistent at doing, especially against her sister. However, if Venus does go into that Wimbledon Semi 2005 state, it'll definitely be hers.

I'm quite torn, so let's just get the final done already.

Becool
Jul 4th, 2008, 05:57 PM
he can say whatever it wants.

venus can be better in a lot of things, but she has lost in pratically every match she played serena recentely

markhingis
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Serena will come out on top , IMO.

Nicolás89
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I'm curios, why he did not mention Steffi as one of the greatest Wimbledon champions?

Wolverines08
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I love them both but like I said i've been watching my tapes, and there's no way Serena would last against the hitting that Venus was doing yesterday especially in the 1st set. But some will say Venus couldn't last against the play of Rena v.s. Aga..but Venus in 3 sets

Uranium
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM
he can say whatever it wants.

venus can be better in a lot of things, but she has lost in pratically every match she played serena recentely

what?
since 2003, Venus leads 2-1

AcesHigh
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Serena can last longer than VEnus, but the other points I agree on. And her biggest asset against Venus is that she has the better technique, thus a better chance at keeping the UE's down.

Btw, H2H since 2003 is 2-1 in Venus's favor.

2005 Miami 6-1 7-6 Venus
2005 USO 7-6 6-2 Venus
2008 Bangalore 6-3 3-6 7-6 Serena

Marcelo.
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:05 PM

LOL :lol:

In your dreams :)

vwfan
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I am never confident when Venus plays Serena these days, but this time I feel sure that Venus will win this one.

I think it will be similar to their match in Miami 2005. Venus will win the first set comfortably and then Serena will fight back making it a close second set. But because this is grass, Venus will grind it out and close it out for her 5th Wimbledon title.

youizahoe
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Venus can adjust her balls well with skiddy low bounces? Did he even watch venus's matches?

When the ball slightly bounces differently she hits it way out or in the net. lol.

-VSR-
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Venus can adjust her balls well with skiddy low bounces? Did he even watch venus's matches?

When the ball slightly bounces differently she hits it way out or in the net. lol.

Serena hasn't been hitting the ball well either. It's been all about her serve. It's going to be a mystery match.

Direwolf
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Seriously...
Venus is the queen of grass

youizahoe
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Serena can last longer than VEnus, but the other points I agree on. And her biggest asset against Venus is that she has the better technique, thus a better chance at keeping the UE's down.

Btw, H2H since 2003 is 2-1 in Venus's favor.

2005 Miami 6-1 7-6 Venus
2005 USO 7-6 6-2 Venus
2008 Bangalore 6-3 3-6 7-6 Serena

Serena Williams had 3 injuries in 2005, and was playing horrible and didn't look great at all, Venus was playing better, but she isn't the better player now.

youizahoe
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Serena hasn't been hitting the ball well either. It's been all about her serve. It's going to be a mystery match.

She hasn't? Take a look at these matches;

4R Mattek
QF Radwanska

50Sense
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Venus is the better grasscourt player, that's not in doubt. But Serena's no slouch. This will not be about who employs better grass court tactics. It'll be which WS knocks the shit out of the ball before the other one gets her chance.

Craig.
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:49 PM
As much as I want Venus to win, I just know she won't. I've known since the final was made obvious. Serena's toughness and serve should make her prevail, unless Venus somehow comes out on fire.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Venus has superior stamina?? I don't think so.

manu32
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:51 PM
bodo...please retire

Geisha
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:08 PM
In recent years, Serena has added power to her game? Huh? She's gotten so passive.

Geisha
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Serena Williams had 3 injuries in 2005, and was playing horrible and didn't look great at all, Venus was playing better, but she isn't the better player now.

In Miami, Serena was pretty fit. Not the US Open though.

youizahoe
Jul 4th, 2008, 10:22 PM
In Miami, Serena was pretty fit. Not the US Open though.

Not really, She wasn't running well and she was getting frustrated a lot.

thrust
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:03 PM
It could be very close, but I do think Serena will win. No jinx intended-LOL!!

In The Zone
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:25 PM

Finally someone said it! Serena's groundstrokes have been very strange. And I am not afraid to say this either -- Serena is SLOW. I am so shocked at how slow she is around the court. Her feet just do not move. She beat Venus in 2002 and 2003 on the grass because of her speed and serve. Take away her movement and I just do not see how she wins.

The mental part is a large portion but it's been five years. Venus said it herself. She was burned out. She had been winning everything and Serena was more hungry. It is a new ball game tomorrow. Both girls have their arguments as to why they will win. I just don't see Venus surrendering her Wimbledon without a fight. Venus in 2 tight.

LDVTennis
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I'm curios, why he did not mention Steffi as one of the greatest Wimbledon champions?

Because he's still smarting from the fact that Steffi thrashed Seles in the 1992 Final. In short, he doesn't like her.

By the way, I think SERENA will win. She has a mental edge in finals that Venus doesn't have. Plus, I think Serena will be the one to attack Venus' second serve and to break down her forehand.

sky20748
Jul 5th, 2008, 12:31 AM
everyone is making predictions.anyway i love venus and no one knows whats going on in her mind(venus) i know as common sense suggests that she does not wish to lose this final to her sister.come on now wimbledon.this is freaking wimbeldon venus is going for #5 do you people think she is really going to just roll over and let serena beat her and get #9 i dont think so.venus is going to fight.mark my words.but whoever wins congrats i hope it will be venus as i feel she is the hungrier of the 2 but congrats none the less.

Apoleb
Jul 5th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I agree about everything except the stamina part. Venus did look tired in the second set, and as said before, she hides it well. But she wasn't even that pushed in that match to get tired. It's definitely worrying for her. I'm hoping she'll still be able to come through but I guess the longer it'll take, the more Serena will be at an advantage.

champion88
Jul 5th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Vee def. Ree 6-4 4-6 7-5 methinks :)

young_gunner913
Jul 5th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Finally someone said it! Serena's groundstrokes have been very strange. And I am not afraid to say this either -- Serena is SLOW. I am so shocked at how slow she is around the court. Her feet just do not move. She beat Venus in 2002 and 2003 on the grass because of her speed and serve. Take away her movement and I just do not see how she wins.

The mental part is a large portion but it's been five years. Venus said it herself. She was burned out. She had been winning everything and Serena was more hungry. It is a new ball game tomorrow. Both girls have their arguments as to why they will win. I just don't see Venus surrendering her Wimbledon without a fight. Venus in 2 tight.

Completely agree. I think with how fast the ball is going to be going at all times, Serena won't be able to run a lot of balls down and get back into the point. Also, I think playing the net will be key as well. Bethanie Mattek got a lot of easy points over Serena by serve and volleying.

venus_rulez
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:04 AM
My feelings on the match are Serena may still win, she's certainly capable, however, I think Venus is going to give it her everything and treat Serena as any other opponent. Listening to Venus talk you can hear and tell that she knows how HUGE winning 5 Wimbledon titles would be. She's going to take the kid gloves off and beat Serena in straight sets.

Craig.
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:08 AM
I agree about everything except the stamina part. Venus did look tired in the second set, and as said before, she hides it well. But she wasn't even that pushed in that match to get tired. It's definitely worrying for her. I'm hoping she'll still be able to come through but I guess the longer it'll take, the more Serena will be at an advantage.

Te gusta Maria? (your sig) :D

Apoleb
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Te gusta Maria? (your sig) :D

Nope. She's on the hitlist. (http://www.answers.com/topic/hit-list?cat=entertainment) :lol:

V-MAC
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Can't wait to analyse this match once it is over.

sasha&tennis
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:42 AM

It is funny how people mention Serena being injured in 05 when they don't mention when Venus was injured during the 02-04 period. 2002 Venus had a wrist injury and even pulled out of some tournaments because of it. 2003 - 2004 Venus had the abdomen injury and still pushed Serena to the max. It is not guranteed that Serena would have won those matches had Venus been healty. The bottom line from what I see is that when Venus is healthy and she really wants it she will always beat Serena.

LightWarrior
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:44 AM
He can go on and on and on about it but the mental part & the nerves is 99% and no one knows what it's going to be like, not even Serena or Venus.

austennis
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:44 AM
GO VENUS - i think her movement and ability to chase down Serena's shots will be big diference
however that said Serena's serve and groundstrokes could trouble V alot
But given how much these two play against one another i doubt either will b suprised by anything that happens

AkademiQ
Jul 5th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Venus has superior stamina?? I don't think so.

I had to laugh at this.

sasha&tennis
Jul 5th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Venus does have a long distance runners stamina. Even Serena said that she use to try to hang with Venus & do the same work out routine but she couldn't. When they had that tv show Venus & Serena for real they showed Venus running for like 45 minutes to an hour (could have been more they merely showed a glimpse) while Serena was on a little golf cart with their other sisters following Venus while she was running. Of course she has stamina have you already forgotten the 2005 Wimbledon final? There is no way that you can track down as many balls as Venus does without having stamina.

venus_rulez
Jul 5th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Venus looked tired against Dementieva? She definitely looked nervous, but I don't think she looked tired at all.

virtue05
Jul 5th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Like I have said before it, is now Venus's time to shine; she is older and more mature, and i think she wants wimbledon in the worst way. She wants to sit amongst the greatest of all time in her sport.

mykarma
Jul 5th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Venus does have a long distance runners stamina. Even Serena said that she use to try to hang with Venus & do the same work out routine but she couldn't. When they had that tv show Venus & Serena for real they showed Venus running for like 45 minutes to an hour (could have been more they merely showed a glimpse) while Serena was on a little golf cart with their other sisters following Venus while she was running. Of course she has stamina have you already forgotten the 2005 Wimbledon final? There is no way that you can track down as many balls as Venus does without having stamina.
Has Venus overcome her anemia completely? If not, Serena has the stamina.

Craig.
Jul 5th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Nope. She's on the hitlist. (http://www.answers.com/topic/hit-list?cat=entertainment) :lol:

Felon. :rolleyes: :lol:

-VSR-
Jul 5th, 2008, 03:08 AM
I just hope that Venus has gotten rid of that "little sister" wanting to do well syndrom. She needs to treat Serena like another opponent (ala Wimbledon 2000, US Open 2001). I think seeing Serena so crushed and hurt made her let up on bringing it all to Serena. Unlike Serena, who always wants to beat Venus. I want to see the best quality match from them yet.

Uranium
Jul 5th, 2008, 02:08 PM

wrong:)