PDA

View Full Version : An All-Williams Wimbledon Final is the best we can have at this stage

wwh
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I am not saying Elena Dementieva or Zheng Jie are not good, and in fact either of the Semifinalists well deserved the place in Final.
Meanwhile, I believe Wimbledon (at least to me) should not (and is not supposed to) become a place for so many upsets, as this is the most traditional and gorgeous tennis tournament in the world and having so many tennis legends born in the All-England Club before.
There is no need for people to say something like 'the Williams sisters are the true No 1 and 2' or 'the All-Williams final is boring', as for the sisters, they NEVER care what others say, they just do it for themselves and for their family glory, especially in this holy grass court.
So I really look forward to the Saturday's Final featuring a pair of sisters having already won 6 (and going to add their 7th) Wimbledon Ladies' Singles Championships.

chris whiteside
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Vee and Rena are in the final because they were the two best players in the tournament but what is worrying from the point if view of women's tennis, IMO, is that neither has been playing their best tennis and yet no-one has really been able to trouble them apart from a couple of close sets.

Overall teh standard of the event has been pretty poor and even worse than last year.

But certainly a Sisters' final is worthy of any event and I just hope it is a good advertisement for the game.

Dementinator
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:33 PM
They are here because they are the best on this surface bar none, they played well enough to get to the finals, Vee slightly better I thnk, at least serve wise, and yes, I guess its as best as we can get.

However, history shows all WS finals ARE usual lacklustre and torrid affairs, they rarely produce much excitement and one or the other always seems to be not in it, woulda be better has we got one sister and another top player.