PDA

View Full Version : Order has been restored

Sam L
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:16 AM
The two best players are playing their best tennis again. I just wish they would play like this in other slams and events like Fed Cup.

First All-Williams final in five years. Maybe the start of another string of sister finals?

Philbo
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I doubt its the start of another string Sam, but Im very happy for the All Williams final as I have a ticket to go watch it.

The Williams sisters might not put on the prettiest tennis against each other, but I find all their matches extremely tense and suspenseful... Looking fwd to it..

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:24 AM
The two best players are playing their best tennis again. I just wish they would play like this in other slams and events like Fed Cup.

First All-Williams final in five years. Maybe the start of another string of sister finals?

What a pity the order can't be restored in your head :sad:

In The Zone
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Order will be fully restored when Serena gets to # 1 this summer. :)

Destiny
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:12 PM
:lol: Indeed

Svetlana.
Jul 4th, 2008, 01:38 PM
What kind of "order" are we talking about here? When Serena was last time in the GS final? And when have both of them met in the GS final last time? If they would meet in the next 2-3 GS finals in a row again then we can talk about some kind of "order" the way you are trying to present it.

ivanban
Jul 4th, 2008, 02:16 PM
So, if true order is restored, how come none of them can play 2-3 tournaments in a row in 1 month or so good (i.e. reaching semis) :confused:

The Kaz
Jul 4th, 2008, 02:20 PM
:bs:

After this annual Wimby fluke... the tour shall be back to normal :D

US Open will be won by Maria, Jelena, Ana or Sveta mark my words ;)

VS Fan
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:00 PM
The "order" at Wimbledon is simply being restated. Since 2000 Venus or Serena have been in the final match in eight of the last nine years. After tomorrow combined they will have won seven of the eight they competed in. (three matches vs each other.) (Only loss was to Sharapova in 2004).
Venus and Serena are the obvious masters of women's grass court tennis in spite of the fact that they have slowed the grass and used heaver balls in recent years to lessen the advantage of players with big serves. (Men and women) Samperas, Venus, Roddick.
Bottom line: a Williams has been in the final at Wimbledon every year since 2000 with the exception of 2006. Williams RULE grass courts. Hmmm... If US Open and AO were still grass..... makes me wonder.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I doubt its the start of another string Sam, but Im very happy for the All Williams final as I have a ticket to go watch it.

The Williams sisters might not put on the prettiest tennis against each other, but I find all their matches extremely tense and suspenseful... Looking fwd to it..

I dont think it will be a total dominance like it was a few years back. They are not 100% commited to tennis like they were back then. I think they are just proving that they are still the best ones out there..reguardless of who's #1. These girls play half of the tennis as the WTA and still able to dominate a tournament when they put their mind to it..now THATS HOT! But I dont see them dominating...do I see other all williams finals...YES!

jimbo mack
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:17 PM
i wish they could play like this all year, maybe they should imagine every tournament they play is wimbledon lol

mal
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:54 PM

Prettiest? They are as different as chalk and elephant dung, curiously.
Venus is a coffee coloured golden dream, and Serena is just a wild tomcat.
That ticket will be valuable, a one way pass to an exciting final. I can hardly wait to be there myself.

LDVTennis
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:29 PM
The "order" at Wimbledon is simply being restated. Since 2000 Venus or Serena have been in the final match in eight of the last nine years. After tomorrow combined they will have won seven of the eight they competed in. (three matches vs each other.) (Only loss was to Sharapova in 2004).
Venus and Serena are the obvious masters of women's grass court tennis in spite of the fact that they have slowed the grass and used heaver balls in recent years to lessen the advantage of players with big serves. (Men and women) Samperas, Venus, Roddick.
Bottom line: a Williams has been in the final at Wimbledon every year since 2000 with the exception of 2006. Williams RULE grass courts. Hmmm... If US Open and AO were still grass..... makes me wonder.

Ahh, the hubris.

Wimbledon slowed down the courts in order to extend play on the men's side. Prior to the changes, during most of Sampras' error of dominance, a top server could basically serve himself into the semis. The grass was so fast and so slick that points often consisted of three shots or less -- serve, return, volley. Sampras was one of the players who excelled at this type of play.

By the time Venus made her first final in 2000, Wimbledon had already started tinkering with the grass. One of the obvious effects of that tinkering is that the ball bounces much higher and truer. This has been a good thing for baseliners, particularly on the women's side. The men have always adjusted better to the low bounces than the women.

If the courts still played like they did in the early 90's, we'd see more of the old serve and volley play at Wimbledon, on the men's side for sure because there are still players who could play that way and win.

None of today's women have ever had to face a single top player who comes to the net on almost every point, like Martina Navratilova or even Jana Novotna. No wonder the passing shots on the women's side are so underdeveloped, even relics of the past.

Make the grass as fast and as slick as it was in the early 90's when Sampras and Graf dominated, and we'll see how good of a grass court player Venus or Serena are. Could they pass a net rusher with their groundstrokes? How would they deal with a slice shot on a surface that used to enhance any shot with slice? Could they move as well on grass when the footing was slicker than it is now?

We know how well Sampras and Graf performed under those faster, slicker, unpredictable conditions. Venus and Serena have had it easy by comparison.

VS Fan
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:50 PM
The major slowing of the grass occured in 2003 and was mentioned in the news. There could have been adjustment in the past that I am not aware of.
However FASTER grass AND lighter balls support the serve and volley style of tennis. Venus would excel with this. The problem is fewer rallies which the tennis establishment wanted to encourage. The players got better at the game, the establishment then seeks to make the game "more competetive".
In my opinion, this sucks! Leave the game ALONE. On this basis we could raise the basketball goal height to 15 or 20 feet to discourage dunking the ball, or increase baseball parks outfield to 600 feet to lessen home runs. Or we could make forward passes in football limited to 10 yards etc.
Bottom line: STOP f**king with the surfaces and the weight of the ball and just let the tennis players play tennis!

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:52 PM
What a pity the order can't be restored in your head :sad:

:lol: :lol:

blamoh
Jul 4th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Why people always say the Williams are only good on grass. That is not true.
Let us see how the feared in the other grandslams beside wimbledon.
US open Venus was runner-up in 1997, semifinalist in 1998, and 1999. she won it
in 2000 and 2001 and runner-up in 2003.french open, runner-up in 2002.
Ausopen Venus reached few quarters and semi-finals and was runner-up in 2003.
and wimbledon she has even a high number of times of reaching the finals than
Roger federer; 6-7. That is a record in itself.
US open serena won it in 1999, semifinalist in 2000, runner-up in 2001 and won it
again in 2003.
AUSopen she won it 2003, 2005 and 2007. she also reached few quarters and perhaps
semifinals as well. She won french open and few quarters.
With two of them doubling, they have won the grandslam(wimbledon, usopen, ausopen and frenchopen)

How many girls on wta tour will boost of of this achievement.

AlmostCrimes
Jul 4th, 2008, 05:14 PM
The Williams sisters are probably best on grass, but I think it is not out of the realm of possibilities to see at least one or both sisters in the finals of the US and Aus open. Not saying it is a sure thing, but definitely very possible. Last year Venus played great, she just lost to a red-hot Justine.

As for the French, Serena should have did better, it's been awhile since Venus has excelled there, so for now, I doubt an all-Williams final will happen there next year.

VS Fan
Jul 4th, 2008, 05:18 PM
The Williams sisters are probably best on grass, but I think it is not out of the realm of possibilities to see at least one or both sisters in the finals of the US and Aus open. Not saying it is a sure thing, but definitely very possible. Last year Venus played great, she just lost to a red-hot Justine.

As for the French, Serena should have did better, it's been awhile since Venus has excelled there, so for now, I doubt an all-Williams final will happen there next year.
I think you mean Serena! Venus won Wimbledon in 2007.

VS Fan
Jul 4th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Serena lost THREE straight Quarter finals to Justine at RG, Wimby and US Open in 2007. (Injured at Wimby)

TSequoia01
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:04 PM
"Wimbledon slowed down the courts in order to extend play on the men's side. Prior to the changes, during most of Sampras' error of dominance"

One could argue that, but just as easily could argue it was implemented to slow down Venus and Serena. It happened at the Golf Championship the Masters as well. The Sisters began winning both singles and doubles and suddenly changes were made. The men had been playing Wimbledon under those circumstances for decades and no changes were offered. After continued dominance heavy balls were then bought in to slow the action down. But whatever the motivation was, the fast conditions favored the Williams and did not hinder them.