PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't tennis free in Britain???

Stoptaxingtennis
Jul 4th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Wimbledon 2008 draws to a conclusion and it has been another successful year of showcasing British tennis. For two weeks of the year the British public go tennis crazy, pile into SW19 in their thousands and get behind the Murray brothers, fall in love with an unknown (Chris Eaton)and then go home and forget about the game for another year.

It is at this time that we should ask ourselves hard questions about the state of the game in this country and in particular grass roots tennis. Why are there so few FREE courts for kids to turn up and play around the country? Courts in our parks are usually derelict and if functioning, there is often a fee to use them. Did you know that this money disappears into the local council's coffers and is not ringfenced for improving the courts? It is essentially an EXTRA TAX, on top of council taxes.

Roger Draper, Chief Exec of the LTA, promised a publicity campaign that would run during Wimbledon - the only time that the media and public attention is focused on the game - to get rid of this TENNIS TAX. The LTA has not delivered on this promise just as it has not delivered at helping developing grass roots tennis amongst kids that cannot afford to play at clubs.

It is a national disgrace. The shambolic state of British tennis at the bottom is easily hidden behind the glossy facade of what happens at Wimbledon.

-Sonic-
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:09 AM
NOTHING is free in Britain.

bjurra
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:15 AM
The biggest problem isn't that tennis costs money (I don't think tennis is free anywhere) but the lack of decent courts. In Germany and Sweden for example, there are good outdoor and indoor courts in every suburb and every smaller city. In the UK, there are no indoor courts at all and the outdoor courts are terrible concrete courts or artifical grass.

MAXSquared
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:37 PM
The goverment spent ridiculous amount of money to go to war with Iraq for the stupidest reason, but don't have enough money to keep kid off the street by provide free access to tennis court, swimming pool and etc, instead of they stubbing each other.

Yes, GREAT Britain is GREAT.

tennisvideos
Jul 4th, 2008, 02:27 PM
The goverment spent ridiculous amount of money to go to war with Iraq for the stupidest reason, but don't have enough money to keep kid off the street by provide free access to tennis court, swimming pool and etc, instead of they stubbing each other.

Very good point. The supposed great countries of the world seem to spend far more money on the military and wars than on trying to do the right thing for the people of their countries ... and the people of the world for that matter.

Can you imagine if money was instead spent on facilities that were of interest tto the population as well as developing clean energies (eg. electric cars which in fact were first developed back in the 1940s!!!!!!!!!! and have since been suppressed and bought out by the large corporations with oil interests). Obviously many governments have other agendas than looking after the interests of their people :tape:

Max565
Jul 4th, 2008, 02:31 PM
The quality of the courts is a big problem too... most free courts look like car parks (I guess Jelena was playing there) with the nets so low that anything can go over... :o But I don't think tennis is free in other countries... Tennis is just naturally an expensive sport.

johnoo
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:24 PM
provide free access to tennis court, swimming pool and etc, instead of they stubbing each other.

well they already announced free access to swimming pools for under 16's and over 60's in a few years time.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7439182.stm
maybe there next step will be other sports.

Super_Marion
Jul 4th, 2008, 05:19 PM
A friend on another forum said to me the problem was partly down to an inherent prejudice that Labour administrations have against the sport of tennis. He said that Labour councils consider tennis a sport of the social elite, therefore disinclined to support tennis.

If my friends theory is accurate, then that's dissapointing. it's 2008, nott the 1970's. Even as one who, ahem, pertains to the sub-artisan class I thought we'd moved on from the petty class wars of the past... or am I just being naive?

I understand the politics. But I dont really care for it. All I care about is tennis. And seeing more people playing and enjoying the sport. Whether from sub-sink trash like me, or a middle class or priveliged background like others. It should be irrelevant when you step onto a tennis court.

MAXSquared
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:32 PM
well they already announced free access to swimming pools for under 16's and over 60's in a few years time.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7439182.stm
maybe there next step will be other sports.

Can't you see the problem here...

When master Bush says I need more British soldier's life and put more British tax payer's money in Afgan or Iraq, and Brown will do it tomorrow without any hesitation, but when doing something that's really good for people in Britain, no000 oh.... Let's discuss the cost.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:33 PM
if it was free
they wouldnt be able to have an excuse :o :o

johnoo
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Can't you see the problem here...

oh yeah I can see the problems in the uk and sending troops to iraq and bush are way down on my list of things needing to be fixed.
success in tennis(or any other sport in the uk) is down to ripping up the sports fields,parent's attitudes and a money driven culture.
Also new labour wrecked things for a few years by stopping competitive sports in schools.Latest thing is they want to stop having league tables in youth football because it makes kids and parents too competitive,instead they want them just to play each other's teams with no goal at the end of it,i.e becoming leauge champions.