PDA

View Full Version : Which of these players is the best player to have never won a slam?

hankqq
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Since this Wimbledon final will be contested between 2 slam winners, I started thinking about the 3 active players who I feel are the best players to have never won a slam before.

Between

Jankovic
Dementieva
Petrova

who is the best?

Now, when we're comparing them, let's compare peak performances, not necessarily current levels of play. I haven't looked up the exact data for each player, but they all have around the same # of titles/important titles, they all have had around the same peak ranking, and all have had some wins over certain top players, but are winless against others. Additionally, all have been known to lose big matches. Obviously, each has strengths and weaknesses in their respective games as well. Which player do you all feel has the best game?

babuska6
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:47 AM
i think that jelena is the personne who deserves a grandslam title the most..she is a good athlete,she has very good game from baseline,maybe she has weaker serve than petrova but i really like her game and it´s pity that she is not able to win a grandslam :)

Pesi
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Of those 3 you named, Jankovic.

Viktymise
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:25 AM
2 slam finals >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 0 slam finals.

Adal
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Elena Dementieva, no contest.

John.
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Dementieva

Just Do It
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:40 AM
2 slam finals >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 0 slam finals.

#2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> #4

Viktymise
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:42 AM
#2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> #4

Slams >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rankings.

In The Zone
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I'd still give it to Dementieva. A few more years, I'd give it to Jankovic. But she's only been on this stage for 1.5 years. Elena has been doing this for almost 9.

Calypso
Jul 4th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Dementieva, then yank a bitch, then Petrova.

Just Do It
Jul 4th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Slams >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rankings.

Is Marion Bartoli a better player than Jankovic then ? :)

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Petrova is the greatest waste of talent this decade. With her serve, volleys and groundies she should've chased Grand Slams but her head is not there.

Nikkiri
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Dementieva

In The Zone
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:29 AM

Considering the H2H is 3-3 and Marion has won the last two, one could argue that. :) :p

Ben.
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Definitely Dementieva, if you can make two slam finals & be a constant figure in the Top 10 in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & this year - well that gets my vote.

nestor_bgd
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:24 PM
JJ for sure!
27>>>>>>>>>>>>>>23
http://www.dropline.net/cats/images/LOL%20cat.jpg

LudwigDvorak
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Dementieva is the best player of the three, but Petrova is one of the biggest wastes of talent ever. Jankovic will inevitably win a slam, while it has to be a good draw and favourable surface for Dementieva and a pipe dream for Petrova.

Zvonareva hasn't achieved nearly as much as the three in the poll, but it's tough for me to pick who is the bigger waste--her or Petrova.

Tough for me to answer. Dementieva or Petrova for sure.

Dementinator
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:47 PM
The Big Golden 'D'

améliemomo
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:54 PM
dementieva,she is the one between these 3 who reached 2 slams finale(RG and US Open)
she didnt manage to win 1 because of her serve and her nerves.
She's 26(willturn 27 this year)she still have time to win 1.

Hopefully for her.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 4th, 2008, 01:28 PM
to have a chance to win a slam
first you have to make a final

Just Do It
Jul 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Considering the H2H is 3-3 and Marion has won the last two, one could argue that. :) :p

Well, then I guess Jelena is a better player than Venus because she has a better H2H and has won last match they played ?

@ Boiledegg, If you wanna be World #1 you have to reach #2 before :secret:

@danieln1
Jul 4th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Petrova (early 2006 vintage) without a doubt.

Couldn´t agree more, she was beating any player at that time...

Julian
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Definitely Elena Dementieva.
Jelena Jankovic would be the best player to not reach a GS final!

vadin124
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:38 PM

yes

smokovec
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Dementieva, then Jankovic.

Petrova is for me a boring/monotonous player without big talent.

Harvs
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Jj

cn ireland
Jul 4th, 2008, 05:16 PM
JJ :). But I think her day will come, maybe even at this year's US Open!

nestor_bgd
Jul 7th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Petrova is for me a boring/monotonous player without big talent.

Well I can certainly see why you like Chaky then. The excitement lies in the fact that you never know when she will burst in tears! :sad::help:

Tennisation
Jul 7th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Anna K, I still believe in u baby!:kiss: Dump Enrique, he has a small dick anyways, come back to the tour and steal a Wimbledon from Venus

kaktusino
Jul 7th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Well, then I guess Jelena is a better player than Venus because she has a better H2H and has won last match they played ?

@ Boiledegg, If you wanna be World #1 you have to reach #2 before :secret:

Most of people say Lena not only because she reached 2 slam finals. And not important that Jelena's highest ranking is number 2, but Elena's number 4! Dementieva deserved this voice much more IMHO than Jankovic.
And again not only from the statistics. The general Elena is a really great player, practically every year she complete a year in top10, she always plays YEC and Lena show decent results from 2000. Of course Jankovic is a great player too. But I do not think that she is the best of this top-3 only because she shows good tennis 2-3 year in a row and because she reached her number 2 by playing every tournament.

Josh.
Jul 7th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Dementieva >> Jankovic >> Petrova. Period.

Bruno71
Jul 7th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Most of people say Lena not only because she reached 2 slam finals. And not important that Jelena's highest ranking is number 2, but Elena's number 4! Dementieva deserved this voice much more IMHO than Jankovic.
And again not only from the statistics. The general Elena is a really great player, practically every year she complete a year in top10, she always plays YEC and Lena show decent results from 2000. Of course Jankovic is a great player too. But I do not think that she is the best of this top-3 only because she shows good tennis 2-3 year in a row and because she reached her number 2 by playing every tournament.

After Elena plays Stanford, she will have 21 tournaments on her year, and JJ will have 22. JJ will be #2, and Elena #5 or #6?

kaktusino
Jul 7th, 2008, 08:14 AM
After Elena plays Stanford, she will have 21 tournaments on her year, and JJ will have 22. JJ will be #2, and Elena #5 or #6?

:rolleyes:

Who played last year every week? T3, T4 ...

Bruno71
Jul 7th, 2008, 08:18 AM
:rolleyes:

Who played last year every week? T3, T4 ...

The point is, JJ & Lena have played just about the same # of tournaments, and JJ's ranking is higher than Elena's. So playing every week didn't seem to give Elena an advantage in this comparison.

edit: Also, last I looked, Elena has played 2 T3 tournaments this year to JJ's 0.

OsloErik
Jul 7th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Jankovic is the most likely to win one, because she's younger, but I don't know which of them I would say is the best. Dementieva has done the most, but Petrova was the only one I'd call an even favorite for a slam pre-tournament (French '06). Hard call.

kaktusino
Jul 7th, 2008, 08:23 AM
The point is, JJ & Lena have played just about the same # of tournaments, and JJ's ranking is higher than Elena's. So playing every week didn't seem to give Elena an advantage in this comparison.

Last year Elena was injured and not played for 2 months. After that she needs to play more tornaments to be back in form it was too difficult for Lena.

Bruno71
Jul 7th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Last year Elena was injured and not played for 2 months. After that she needs to play more tornaments to be back in form it was too difficult for Lena.

Fair enough. But JJ's results this year have exceeded Elena's overall. However, this doesn't mean that JJ's a better player. Just as I don't think any statistical comparison ever tells the whole story. In their careers, Elena is the more accomplished player, but "best" is more subjective. I happen to think they're about even.

mckyle.
Jul 7th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Elena Dementieva.

Why is there even a discussion for this when it's so blatantly obvious? :shrug: