PDA

View Full Version : 23 million Americans watched the 2001 U.S Open ,How do you think they will do sat?

JUSTICE4ALL
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:52 PM
Tennis has declined in popularity in this country since 2001 in dramatic fashion, plus that final took place in primetime, since this is the first Williams Final in 5 years I think it will do very well, will clearly defeat Roger vs. Nada l(Americans simply dont care about those two), I'm hoping around the 8-12 million range, they can pull in tennis ratings liek no other, of course the Saturday after the 4th and morning start time don't help but we will see..........Hate da sistas or love them, the WIlliam Sisters bring a t.v audience no other current player can do that, not even Sharapova. I think a good number will be around the 8-10 million range, they can maybe challenge that 15-20 million range if they advance to the U.S Open final later this fall.....

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Seriously, 23 million people in America watched that match? WOW :worship:

Craig.
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:11 AM
:spit:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:30 AM
GS Finals w/ one or both of the Williams Sisters (especially matches w/ Serena, because of her "hollywood" personality) are always HUGE ratings getters.

Because it's a Saturday morning, I don't think the ratings will be anywhere NEAR the 2001/2 US Opens, but I think they'll definitely be up from last year, and WAY up from the other 2 finals this year.

JUSTICE4ALL
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Yes 23 million Americans actually turned in at some point to watch the Williams final at the 2001 U.S Open, it actually beat a very big college football game that saturday between Florida and Miami I think......Of course that is the highest rated tennis match in decades in this country!

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:26 AM
The world is waiting a new Rafa - Federer

JUSTICE4ALL
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Well good for them but Americans are not interested in Federer or Nadal, plus NBC dictates international sports anyway, just look at what they were able to do in the Olympics, they literally were able to get the swimming trials to be moved to the morning to benefit American audience lol

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:36 AM
I'm SO glad you posted this..just so some haters that act as if deciding not to watch "The Sisters" saturday is going to hurt ratings...I said it once and I'll say it again...WILLIAMS in a final draws ratings..WILLIAMS in tournaments draws numbers. This isnt a personal opinion...THIS IS A FACT!!! Its on PAPER baby!!! I'm expecting this to one of the highest watched womens finals since 2004...I cant wait...i'm SO proud of Venus and Serena man...

kiwifan
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Yes 23 million Americans actually turned in at some point to watch the Williams final at the 2001 U.S Open, it actually beat a very big college football game that saturday between Florida and Miami I think......Of course that is the highest rated tennis match in decades in this country!

For me that was the most impressive part.

The match had some serious competition.

NBC will be happy with the ratings but they won't be close to 23 million.

Back then there was more hype from the players (Hingis, Lindsay, Anna K., everyone had something to say back then :tape: :lol: )

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:58 AM
It's difficult, especially if the match isn't televised live. People will have already checked the results online. Fourth of July weekend. People will be out and about, away from their TVs. In addition, people have become accustomed to a Williams' final. So, I don't expect a 23 share on the Wimby final.

starin
Jul 4th, 2008, 05:17 AM
no cuz 2001 was the peak of women's tennis in terms and compared to that right now its a valley. So i don't expect it to be huge and the novelty of an all WS final has worn off. but for WS fans who gives a shite we still get to enjoy it anyways.

Daniela-Is-Mine
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Not well, because non-avid tennis watchers dont like either sister

Dodoboy.
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:58 AM
a lot lot lot lot less!

Those ratings were stellar though!

rafa the best
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Who cares, most true tennis fans ins the US are annoyed couse they show sisters playing doubles during Federer-Safin match. I think more people start hating them and Sharapova couse of NBC's and ESPN's annoying coverage.

Dodoboy.
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Who cares, most true tennis fans ins the US are annoyed couse they show sisters playing doubles during Federer-Safin match. I think more people start hating them and Sharapova couse of NBC's and ESPN's annoying coverage.

Did they?

Oh that is so nice!

Destiny
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I think it's going to be around 5 million viewers i don't expect that many to watch it but hope it's alot

:woohoo: History baby

In The Zone
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:10 AM

NBC contractually blocked ESPN from airing the Safin/Federer SF. ESPN had no choice but to show the Williams' doubles SF. I would be angry with NBC for being so negligent with their tennis audience to do such a thing, regardless of the timing of their broadcast.