PDA

View Full Version : This is my first Williams Final

usher3103
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
Only got into tennis at 2004 French open so have never seen one. Where they fun or where they disparaging to watch?

Destiny
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
mine too am so excited

Destiny
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
:banana:

Pureracket
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Awwww.....I remember how young I was when I popped my Williams Final cherry too. I was so young.

xr6turbo
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:55 PM
LOL. i remember the 03 Aus Open final. Serena said "well fuck you bitch" after Venus hit an ace :haha:

sammy01
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:01 PM
they can be painful at times but brilliant others and you cant realy watch the match and analysize it in your head because your head my explode lol, have fun and do what i always do when its a slam final have a pig out session infront of the t.v.

vwfan
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:07 PM
Only got into tennis at 2004 French open so have never seen one. Where they fun or where they disparaging to watch?YES. but less so if you were a Venus fan. :sad:

serenus_2k8
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:07 PM
LOL. i remember the 03 Aus Open final. Serena said "well fuck you bitch" after Venus hit an ace :haha:

Is that true? :eek:

Only got into tennis at 2004 French open so have never seen one. Where they fun or where they disparaging to watch?

You will love it :hug: How can you not have the best time ever, knowing that a WS will walk away with another slam, and the other gets 700 points to boost their rank with :lol:

Coffee&TV
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:12 PM
Me too.

Temperenka
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:15 PM
this is my first too! the first major I really got into was Wimby 04. and I have liked Maria since..

Lefty.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
Mine as well. :)

xr6turbo
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Is that true? :eek:

Lol.. yea. I'll have to dig the tape out and upload it sometime :p

Marcelo.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Mine too :)So excited :drool:

Marshmallow
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:20 PM

OMG :tape: Serena!!! :speakles:

Anyway, I didn't become dedicated to tennis til 2004 too, I watched matches before (saw Wimbledon 2000 match) but missed all the glory days.

Serena is favourite IMO, but Venus has the weapons to take her down. It should be interesting, I hope we get a tight 3 setter (with Vee winning in the end :angel:)

Ksenia.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:21 PM
Mine too :) Here are many of us, huh? :lol:

The Daviator
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:27 PM
It's my 7th :p

Also, you haven't missed much, WS finals apart from AO03 have been :help:

nikita771
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:27 PM
This isn't my first, but I almost feel like it is because it's been SOOOO long! I'm just really proud of my girls and know that no matter, a Williams will be the 2008 Wimbledon champ!

Chris 84
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:32 PM
WS finals generally sucked bigtime.

Not as badly as recent RG finals, mind you.

beatlessub
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:34 PM
this is my first too
im excited
i hope they dont disappoint

Dav.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:39 PM
Aww, I hope you all enjoy it. :hug:

new-york
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:40 PM
this is my second.

the last one got me into Venus, tennis, and into being hurt by the sport.

Becool
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:46 PM
that's so not true

she only said bitch.. like she always said

Pesi
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:02 PM
I remember perfectly when they were a dominated force, but I didnŽt watched tennis like I do now.

So, me too, It will be my first Williams final that IŽll watch.

It looks like a lot of people say their finals sucks, I will see. It will be more power than talent, but that`s obvious.

Avid Merrion
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
i feel so old next to all these first timers :lol:
enjoy it, but don't expect a classic. that's all i'm saying ;)

hacberto
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:07 PM
Mine too. I became a fan back in the 2005 Australian Open and I have been waiting for a Williams final 3 years and to get it now in Wimbledon is amazing. I'm so excited.

Marshmallow
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:09 PM
this is my second.

the last one got me into Venus, tennis, and into being hurt by the sport.

Poetic as always. :hug:

LeonHart
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:11 PM
From the past, yes they did suck. They always looked nervous, made tons of errors and it was highly predictable (Venus won the first couple, then Serena dominated). However if it goes with the trend, each final has been getting closer and closer, and this final is the first time I can say I really don't know who will win. So it might be good tomorrow...I hope :unsure:

Malva
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:21 PM

I watched their US Open 2001 Final. It was the most anti-climactic grand slam Final in my entire life. Serena, who prior to that match was hot like red iron, went down meekly to her older sister as if her daddy ordered her to do so. I was rooting for Serena back then, but I lost any interest in watching her playing Venus.

I haven't watched them playing against each other since then.

VeeJJ
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:54 PM

Lol. i remeber seeing that when tennis channel replayed it. She also said something after she threw her whole body into a backhand and it landed right in the corner only for Venus to bounce it back in and then serena missed the nex ball. She was pissed!!

But this is my first live All Williams final too.

VeeJJ
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:55 PM
that's so not true

she only said bitch.. like she always said

I thought it was just "bitch" too but it was still good.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:20 AM
This'll be my 7th :eek:

:lol: I feel like a veteran :lol:

danieln1
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:18 AM
IŽm feeling old since I watched every sisters final with the exception of Wimbledon 02 and 03!

-VSR-
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:35 AM
First, for me, as well.

I started following WTA in 2004.

Tennisstar86
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Oh wow... people showin their age in this thread....

Chunchun
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:43 AM
my third :p

Don't talk about 2004 :help: They basically did nothing at slams and another helplesssssss girl got beatdown in 2 slam final :o:o *bad memories*

Tennisstar86
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:44 AM
I thought it was just "bitch" too but it was still good.

she said it during Wimbledon 03 as well....

Marty-Dom
Jul 4th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I watched all Williams finals since 1999 when Serena first appeared on the big stage. Their GS finals were very herky-jerky- especially early on. It was all first-strike tennis. They were both going for the winners from the get go- resulting in huge number of UE's. The very few longer rallies that resulted were brilliant on occasions. Back in 2000-2003 both of them were quicker then they are now- especially Serena. Some of the gets and unbelievable winners they showed would impress even Nadal. Look up some of the highlights on youtube. AO 03 was probably the most competitive and clean of them all.
This time I hope for something closer to their match in Bangalore this year- it went 3 close sets and both of them held match points.
If Venus' serve holds up it will be a good one. Serena is the hungrier one, while Venus is staking her legacy, plus she lost their last match so she won't be apprehensive about beating Serena.
This one should be a real fight from beginning to end. I will definitely watch it.

stevos
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I really think we could be on the brink of an excellent final here.
But then again, it could not be. I'd just say don't think too much about whether it's the most high quality match, because it won't be, just enjoy the competitiveness and heavy smacking of the ball, and the inevitable at least a few great rallies.

This will be my first live one, but I've watched AO 2003, and some of Wimbledon 2003, but it was Chinese commentators and I couldn't take it anymore.
I'm so excited!

Becool
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:46 AM
i have watched all williams final live

and yeah, it seems it was not so long ago!

like serena said, time flies

Chance
Jul 4th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I've seen all their Grand Slam matches and to be honest most of their matches are underwhelming, but their matches are getting better.
I am soooooo stoked that both are in the finals! For me it feels like forever since their last final. The girls have been through sooo much since then - the murder of their sister, injuries,surgeries, loss of confidence, weight loss/gain.
Personally I feel that's what makes you a true CHAMPION- overcoming the challenges!
Unfortunately there can only be one winner.....

Destiny
Jul 4th, 2008, 02:23 PM
And they are in the doubles final this could not get any better :D

SunriseSunset
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I just realise it's mine too! My first final was Serena versus Sharapova Wimbledon 2004....we know what happened there.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I saw all the All Williams finals back in 2002 and the 03 finals at wimbledon and the Australian. I hate that I missed the 2001 showdown...You better believe people will be tuned into tommorows final...and it will be all over the news! And with a Nadal vs Federer final on the men side...what more could you ask for!!!

TSequoia01
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I too have watched all the Williams' finals, really enjoyed Wimby 03. A real slug fest. Serena back then was a machine. Tomorrow I am picking Venus in two. But if it goes three, Serena will win. Serena in 02 based on level probably was the greatest champion to ever play in my opinion. When she met Mauresmo in the semis at Wimbledon she played at her highest level ever. Never played at that level again.

Tennisstar86
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I too have watched all the Williams' finals, really enjoyed Wimby 03. A real slug fest. Serena back then was a machine. Tomorrow I am picking Venus in two. But if it goes three, Serena will win. Serena in 02 based on level probably was the greatest champion to ever play in my opinion. When she met Mauresmo in the semis at Wimbledon she played at her highest level ever. Never played at that level again.

Im leaning towards Venus in two also... I dont know Either could win though... If it goes three i also learn towards Serena... I just feel that Serena plays too safe up the center these days..... and shes yet to play anyone who can move like Venus can....As Mary Joe i think it was or maybe carillo said wtih the Aces Serena hit yesterday she wont get those against Venus and her lengthy arms that can get everything back... Hopefully it'll be an exciting match

Dodoboy.
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:48 AM
My first too :)

Keaka
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:50 AM

:haha:

Should be good match today :)

I guess it's my second one, don't even know :p

venus_rulez
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I've seen them all and I'm super excited. I've matured since then too. I used to hate Serena and be devastated when Venus lost. Don't get me wrong, I'll still be screaming at the tv for a Venus win, but if she loses, I'll be happy for Serena and shrug my shoulders at Venus and go, "Well she has millions of dollars to keep her company."

Dodoboy.
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Happy Williams day everyone! :hearts:

venus_rulez
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Happy Williams day everyone! :hearts:

Happy Williams Day :wavey: I haven't talked to you in forever!

Dodoboy.
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Happy Williams Day :wavey: I haven't talked to you in forever!

I know right!

How have you been?

venus_rulez
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I know right!

How have you been?

Good for the most part. Everything's been so exciting, but moving to the other side of the planet will do that. Some things remain the same though, cable companies suck ass :fiery:

Dodoboy.
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Good for the most part. Everything's been so exciting, but moving to the other side of the planet will do that. Some things remain the same though, cable companies suck ass :fiery:

You will get to see the final though right ? :speakles:

As long as work is going well ;)

frenchie
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:11 AM

What a great time to start watching tennis:angel::lol:

I watched all their GS finals and I liked it every time
No matter the quality of tennis I think they are entertainers:worship:

Calypso
Jul 5th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I've watched the lot:). My take (rating out of 10):

2001 US Open Final: 6/10. Venus def Serena in straight sets in a somewhat ordinary match. Neither really reached any heights after overwhelming Capriati and Hingis in the SFs

2002 F.O Final: 3/10. Serena def. Venus in str8 sets. The worst GS final between the sisters. One of the worst GS finals I've ever seen, error-ridden break-fest.

2002 Wimbledon: 7/10. Both sisters played well but Serena was a bit better, esp with her serve.

2002 US Open: 8/10. One of the best displays by Serena I've seen. She was on fire the whole tournament in her catsuit and overwhelmed Venus in str8 sets.

2003 Aus Open: 7/10. A decent match from both girls, well fought contest with Serena edging an exciting match in 3 sets.

2003 Wimbledon: 5/10. Marred by Venus' injury, Serena won a 3 set final to extend her H2H over Venus in GS finals to 5-1.