PDA

View Full Version : BBC coverage is SOOOO sexist!!

liuxuan
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Honestly - its ladies semi finals day!!! fair enough, we get live coverage of the matches, however during EVERY rain delay and between EVERY match, when it cuts back to the studio coverage, they were almost NEVER mentioned, instead they used these breaks in the studio to discuss even further, Andy Murray, Raf and Federer, show yesterdays interviews with them, and then discuss the other guys quarter final that was still going on!!

John macenroe, john lloyd and sue barker were even having a right old laugh about John macenroe commentating on Serena's semi but keeping one eye on schuttler/clement while he was doing it!!

To add insult to injury, the highlights show has just come on - and for the venus match, instead of showing any of it, they cut straight to 2-2 in the tie break, showing only 6 points!! I dunno how much of the serena match were gonna see - but it probly wont be as much as theyre gonna show of the shuttler match, and they wont be discussing it much either!!

im so sick of hearing about andy murray!!

John.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:14 PM
It is an joke - Seriously.

I have E-Mailed the BBc every year about the quality of their highlights show - I have never once had a response

Destiny
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
I know seriously i need there number so i can complain!!!

Twats!!!

Dave.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:30 PM
omg it's halfway through the highlights show and they've already shown both semis. :o

goldenlox
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:34 PM
If they were really sexist they would hire Gimelstob.
He's the king of judging WTA players by their looks.

SunriseSunset
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
They're biased PERIOD. The way they hyped up Murray after he defeated Gasquet, you'd think he'd won Wimbledon. It was only Gasquet for goodness sake, sorry to his fans but what has he done... It could be because Wimbledon probably wanted one of their favourites to win instead of the Williams and Jie.

It's ALWAYS Murray, just like with Henman. Did they seriously believe that Murray would beat Federer, Safin and Nadal? Did they seriously think that Tim "Quarter final/4th round" Henman would really win? Pur-lease. I think they showed the Murray-Gasquet match more then 4 times! It was all over the news. When Murray won ONE set it was on the news yet Murray losing the MATCH is hardly shown. Murray winning was mentioned before people dying for goodness sake. It was ridiculous.

So why be surprised that they pretend that the women don't exist? At least I'm not the only one losing my sanity.

Avid Merrion
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
here's the link to the BBC's complaints page. i've already used it today when they just decided to leave the Serena v Jie match, not during a change of ends but right in the middle of a game (!!!!) to go to Court one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

sammy01
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
just wait if it rains tomorrow and a mens semi is held over or even both, the ladies final will just become a sideshow to the rafa and roger winning in straight sets dont break a sweat matches.

mr_parental
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
I think it is very stupid. It was so rushed!

And, yes they were NOT mentioned during the rain delays at all!

And, I hate Andy Murray!

johnoo
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:48 PM
Honestly - its ladies semi finals day!!! fair enough, we get live coverage of the matches, however during EVERY rain delay and between EVERY match, when it cuts back to the studio coverage, they were almost NEVER mentioned, instead they used these breaks in the studio to discuss even further, Andy Murray, Raf and Federer, show yesterdays interviews with them, and then discuss the other guys quarter final that was still going on!!

John macenroe, john lloyd and sue barker were even having a right old laugh about John macenroe commentating on Serena's semi but keeping one eye on schuttler/clement while he was doing it!!

To add insult to injury, the highlights show has just come on - and for the venus match, instead of showing any of it, they cut straight to 2-2 in the tie break, showing only 6 points!! I dunno how much of the serena match were gonna see - but it probly wont be as much as theyre gonna show of the shuttler match, and they wont be discussing it much either!!

im so sick of hearing about andy murray!!

I'm surprised they did'nt switch to the mens quarter final:lol:.In there defence they did show a couple of girls singles matches on freeview/interactive,can't remember them doing that as early as thursday especially as one match did not feature a british girl.

JAMESYBABY!
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:48 PM
they showed robsons match tho ...

mr_parental
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
I think it is very stupid. It was so rushed!

And, yes they were NOT mentioned during the rain delays at all!

And, I hate Andy Murray!

Destiny
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
here's the link to the BBC's complaints page. i've already used it today when they just decided to leave the Serena v Jie match, not during a change of ends but right in the middle of a game (!!!!) to go to Court one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

thanks a bunch save it on my phone:)

Malva
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:02 PM
I watched BBC too, and I didn't have impression that they were discriminating Ladies' Semifinals. I don't see anything wrong with talking to Federer, or their best tennis player, Murray, during rain breaks. Similarly, in the past I never saw anything wrong with the fact that they had been showing and talking about Tom Henman and Greg Rusedski. They are British after all.

This has nothing to do with discrimination against women: if Murray were a woman he would be shown, interviewed, and talked over as frequently, if not more so. Their sacred right. BBC is British, Wimbledon is British, and Murray is British.

John.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:26 PM
Seriously people - Get the complaints in - John Inverdale must go

I said it another thread, but BBC's Wimbledon coverage is excellent whereas their Highlights show is :help:

They should be doing something like ES RG highlights show

Dahveed
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:26 PM
What i find amazing is that the BBC will show every mixed double match of Jamie Murray. You've got to be seriously desperate for some British success to show this on national TV. I mean, come on, who gives a toss about mixed doubles? Would the Brits be oh so proud if they win it? Will it make the covers of newspapers and magazines the next day? Reading the British press lately is painful.

Dodoboy.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:29 PM
It better not rain!

rafa the best
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:30 PM
I was also annoyed by all the Murray mania. It is just too much, so happy he lost.

But, if the other seeds got to the SF, they would talk about those matches. This way we all knew the final and there was nothing to talk about.

The all Williams final is the best thing that happened in women Wimbledon this year and I'm sure they will talk about it tomorrow.

John.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:33 PM
^^The thing is though, the presenter knows nothing about tennis - His ignorance annoys me more than anything else about the show

Europe rocks
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:57 PM
Seriously people - Get the complaints in - John Inverdale must go

I said it another thread, but BBC's Wimbledon coverage is excellent whereas their Highlights show is :help:

They should be doing something like ES RG highlights show

Sent my e-mail about John Inverdale 2 days ago, still waiting for a response. If the LTA want to promote more British youngsters playing tennis, why don't they actually show the efforts of other British players, other than Murray? Out of the Murray-Nadal match and Keothavong-Williams, I know which one I would rather watch.

At least in the highlights show they did briefly talk about Dementieva and Zheng, not just Serena and Venus. John Inverdale still seems to think that they are the top 2 players in the world and that nobody comes close - if that was the way how come Serena hasn't won 2 Slams since 2003 and Venus a Slam other than Wimbledon since 2001

John.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
^^ That's my point about him - He is ignorant and the fact he does no research whatsoever is just really bad

moon
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
i like Murray, but I guess i would have issues with him if i lived in the UK.
btw--i've seen coverage in the states and the uk, and the UK is better by far!!

Avid Merrion
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:56 PM
I watched BBC too, and I didn't have impression that they were discriminating Ladies' Semifinals. I don't see anything wrong with talking to Federer, or their best tennis player, Murray, during rain breaks. Similarly, in the past I never saw anything wrong with the fact that they had been showing and talking about Tom Henman and Greg Rusedski. They are British after all.

This has nothing to do with discrimination against women: if Murray were a woman he would be shown, interviewed, and talked over as frequently, if not more so. Their sacred right. BBC is British, Wimbledon is British, and Murray is British.

i don't think it's discrimination as such, but do you not think it shows a complete lack of respect to leave the ladies semi final right in the middle of a game to go to another court? surely they could just have waited until a change of ends to show us what was going on elsewhere? that's what my issue is with the BBC's coverage today.

hilluis
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:28 PM
Agree. They are sexist. The other night in the highlights package the guy ( I guess it was John Inverdale but it was a voiceover) said that the match between Radwanska and Kuznetsova looked as if it was going to be the "mouldy cheese in an otherwise tasty sandwich..." Federer played first, the women next, and then Murray. I was rather shocked by this, particularly as it was the same day that Venus and Serena were on Court 2, Jankovic on 18 and they had talked about this issue.

Dawson.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:44 PM
dont worry people. in a few years laura robson will emerge as britains main talent so the spotlight will be taken off (overrated) murray

Lunaris
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:16 PM
They were probably just talking about what their viewers were interested in. Just because you don't care about men's tennis (btw. todays QF between Schuettler and Clement easily beat all what women have shown so far at this tournament) doesn't mean they are sexist. I can imagine even more people were pissed off that they showed womens semis instead of mens QF. I certainly was pissed off when Czech TV showed Zheng vs. Williams borefest instead of the final set between Schuettler and Clement.

kolan
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:22 PM
What i find amazing is that the BBC will show every mixed double match of Jamie Murray. You've got to be seriously desperate for some British success to show this on national TV. I mean, come on, who gives a toss about mixed doubles? Would the Brits be oh so proud if they win it? Will it make the covers of newspapers and magazines the next day? Reading the British press lately is painful.

you would not like the answer to that question :lol: it was the same when he won with JJ last year :rolleyes:

jenny161185
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:56 PM
i agree there womens highlights are so short etc and the commentating can be terrible sometimes. More worrying is Sue Barker, I really like her and I know shes the host and its her job to talk about the brits but every time they cut to the studio its so what can Andy do? Can Andy win? can he win grandslams? and the annoying thing is theyve discussed this over and over already. Even friends of mine and others watching were saying how annoying they are and this murry mania crap and henman hill, fine for the odd joke but to constantly be using these points sounds so stupid!

Europe rocks
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:00 PM
They were probably just talking about what their viewers were interested in. Just because you don't care about men's tennis (btw. todays QF between Schuettler and Clement easily beat all what women have shown so far at this tournament) doesn't mean they are sexist. I can imagine even more people were pissed off that they showed womens semis instead of mens QF. I certainly was pissed off when Czech TV showed Zheng vs. Williams borefest instead of the final set between Schuettler and Clement.

I can see what you mean with this, but the main reason for debate was the lack of women's tennis that they shew. For example, they shew from 2-2 in the Venus-Dementieva tiebreaker and the end few games of Zheng-Williams, but today they shew much more tennis from the men's semifinals, despite the fact that all four semifinals were straight set wins

Got a response from the BBC, basically saying 'we know you aren't happy about it and we'll make a note of it, but lots of people say how good we are'

Dave.
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I can see what you mean with this, but the main reason for debate was the lack of women's tennis that they shew. For example, they shew from 2-2 in the Venus-Dementieva tiebreaker and the end few games of Zheng-Williams, but today they shew much more tennis from the men's semifinals, despite the fact that all four semifinals were straight set wins

Got a response from the BBC, basically saying 'we know you aren't happy about it and we'll make a note of it, but lots of people say how good we are'

Probably people who only follow tennis 2 weeks a year for Wimbledon.

Lunaris
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:31 PM

Don't expect any change then.
Speaking of men's semis, despite both of them being SS wins, I enjoyed them much more than women's ones. Don't wanna sound like a MTF tard, but that's how it is. Most current female top players are so one-dimensional, it makes me :yawn: Even if Federer demolished Safin you could still see some great rallies during that match, which wasn't exactly the case during womens semis. Womens game, unless one of my faves is involved, bores the sh*t outta me lately. Seems like many people in the UK share my feelings, otherwise BBC would have surely shown more of women's tournament.

shirley
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:18 AM
The BBC annoy me. The other day there it was ladies quarter final day and the first thing they mentioned in the studio was Andy Murray's match against Gasquet. They opened the show with snippets of that match and it took about 20-25minutes for them to even talk about the quarters

Natalicious
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:40 AM
better a bad (live) coverage than no coverage at all like it is in germany/austria atm :o

ce
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:58 AM
well Eurosport sucks too....this year their schedule is awful :help:

Malva
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:52 AM
i don't think it's discrimination as such, but do you not think it shows a complete lack of respect to leave the ladies semi final right in the middle of a game to go to another court? surely they could just have waited until a change of ends to show us what was going on elsewhere? that's what my issue is with the BBC's coverage today.

Such things surely can be annoying for enthusiasts of Ladies' tennis, and even more so for supporters of players whose match coverage is interrupted.

I am too old to be annoyed by that; I have seen this so many times before I guess in every slam, so I have a stoic attitude (unless of course it concerns my own favorite ;)).

vadin124
Jul 5th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I don't see what is so exciting about two OAPs slugging it out in a riduculously low quality match fighting for the right to be hammered by Nadal in the next round...no on cares!

the second set of the Serena-Zheng match was very competetive and a high standard of tennis...

and as for Murray is concerned, how many batterings is he going to take from the top players at slams before people in this damned country finally realise he is NOT a slam contender, and probably never will be!

if there is one thing about Britain and Wimbledon I HATE, it's how much focus is put on the men's game, which is essentially comprising at the moment of people winning tennis matches only to be pummeled by Federer and Nadal, making a final between those 2 almost a certainty! It's so predictable it's a joke

Avid Merrion
Jul 5th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Such things surely can be annoying for enthusiasts of Ladies' tennis, and even more so for supporters of players whose match coverage is interrupted.

I am too old to be annoyed by that; I have seen this so many times before I guess in every slam, so I have a stoic attitude (unless of course it concerns my own favorite ;)).

lol, i suppose that's why i was annoyed enough about it to actually complain ;) oh well, there should be no interruptions today unless Laura Robson is scheduled to play at the same time! :lol:

Malva
Jul 5th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I don't see what is so exciting about two OAPs slugging it out in a riduculously low quality match fighting for the right to be hammered by Nadal in the next round...no on cares!

Outrageously not true.

I watched that match even though I didn't plan to, and I am a fan neither of Clement nor Schüttler.

John.
Jul 7th, 2008, 01:29 PM
OK - Here is the E-Mail I got back regarding my complaint about John Inverdale and the Highlight's coverage:

Thanks for your e-mail regarding BBC TWO programme 'Today at Wimbledon.' I understand that your complaint makes two main points, firstly with the presentation of John Inverdale who you find rude, arrogant and biased and latterly with the quality of the programme itself, which due to the format and lack of actual tennis, you find to be poor. While we try to provide a wide range of programmes across our radio and television sporting output that will be of interest to every section of our audience, there will inevitably be times, hopefully rare, when what is on offer does not meet your own particular interests. Research shows us that in a typical week we do provide a substantial number of sporting programmes which everyone can enjoy, but I am sorry that you have been disappointed with the format of 'Today at Wimbledon' for this year's tournament. With reference to your multiple criticisms of John Inverdale, while I do appreciate your concerns I should also make clear that all our programme contributors are appointed on the basis of their experience and talent, and we do not engage any presenter unless we consider that he or she is the most competent and possesses the necessary ability to meet the considerable demands the particular programme or broadcast may make. Having said that, it is a rare television personality of any kind who meets the approval of everyone in our vast and varied audience, and from the heavy correspondence which we receive it is clear that viewers' opinions on them do vary considerably. In this instance I understand that you feel he is not suited to coverage of Tennis and so I'd like to assure you that I've registered all your comments regarding your complaint on our audience log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that's circulated to many BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive Board, channel controllers and other senior managers. The audience logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions about future programming and content and all feedback we receive, whether positive or negative, is always appreciated.

Thanks once again for taking the time to contact us with your concerns.

Regards Sean Moss
BBC Complaints
:rolleyes:

Dawson.
Jul 7th, 2008, 01:33 PM
^^ wow they actually replied to you?! i'm still awaiting my response. i imagine it will be the exact same email :lol: