PDA

View Full Version : Elena's interview after SF

Mightymirza
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:11 PM
Venus Williams def. Elena Dementieva 6-1, 7-6

Q. That first set, what were you thinking when you came out and Venus was playing like that?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Well, I expected, you know, such a good game from her because she's the defending champion. Well, I think she started really well. You know, in the beginning of the match she really dominated, put a lot of pressure on my serve. You know, she was serving unbelievably well, so it was really hard to just make her play.

Q. You had never played her before on grass. How would you describe her as a grass court player?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Well, I think the surface really suits to her game because she doesn't like to play long rallies. She doesn't like, you know, just to play long matches. So it's an excellent surface for her. She likes to hit hard. She has a good serve. So I think this is her favorite surface.

Q. And what did you say to yourself after that first set to get yourself pumped up for the second?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Well, I knew she's not gonna play like that the whole match. I was just trying to make her play, keep the ball in the game. Because, I mean, as much as she plays, the more she gets tight. As you could see in the second set, she was really, really tight in the end of the match. So I had some opportunity to break a couple of times. It was a completely different game.

Q. What about your own game on grass? When you come back next year, what do you think you have to improve on to take that extra step?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Well, for sure I need to improve my serve and I need to go more to the net to finish the points. Just the take the opportunity of the surface, you know, and make it short and nice. But I feel more comfortable right now playing on grass.

Q. Do you think the Williams sisters have struck the right formula in that they don't play every tournament, they just peak for the Grand Slams? Have they found a better formula for playing tennis in the long-term?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Well, I don't know. I mean, you have to ask them. Maybe they wish to play tournaments, but maybe they are not ready for so many.

Q. If it is an all-Williams final, how do you see it?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: I mean, if they're going to play against each other, I mean, I don't know what to say. I mean, I cannot imagine myself playing against someone from my family. It's really hard. For sure it's going to be a family decision.

Q. Why can't you imagine it, and what do you think it says about them that they have been able to manage it?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Well, I think it's really hard for them because they both are great players and they both deserve to win. There is only one trophy here, so, I mean, it's a shame. But if they play the same tournaments they have to face it sometimes. Well, I think it's a very tough situation.

Q. What do you think it says about their relationship, their closeness, that even though they've played against each other on the grand stages so many times and they are still are so close?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Yeah, I think they are very close and very supportive of each other, which is very good. I mean, they're very professional, you know. When they are on the court they're trying to play, to fight. But, I mean, in the end the family is more important to them, and they keep a very nice relationship, as I can see.

Q. When you say it's a family decision, do you mean they're going to sit down and decide who the winner's going to be?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Well, I don't know how it's gonna be because. I mean, I have never faced that situation in my life so, I mean, it's really hard for me to say. But I just don't know.

Q. Why don't they just go out like two other players and let the best player win?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Well, maybe it will be like that, yeah.

Q. Will you be watching the final if it is Venus versus Serena, and what do you think will be going through your mind? What will you be looking for as you watch it?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Well, I think for sure it's going to be an entertainment match. I mean, we're gonna see lots of emotion and lots of, you know, good play. But, well, I really think it's more interesting to see one of the sisters playing against someone else.

Q. Why?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Well, because, like I said, they know each other very well. They practice all the time. I mean, they know their game very well. So maybe there is not so much fight in the end of all.

Q. Do you think that perhaps unlike two other opponents, they're less willing to battle against each other and be aggressive?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Well, I mean, it's a Wimbledon final. For sure, we're going to see some battle. They will play a long match. They will enjoy the moment. But I think we could see a better game, I mean, if one of the sister has to face someone else.

Q. It makes it a bit boring for tennis, do you think?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Well, I don't think it's boring to watch them because I think they both are great players. I mean, they're playing a very high level. It would be an interesting match for the crowd, I think, to watch. Yeah, but like in a competition it would be nice to see someone else maybe.

Q. The last time they played just this year it went deep into the third set, a close tiebreak. That would indicate a pretty interesting match.

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Yeah. I think maybe, I mean, if they have to face each other in the final, we're also going to see a tiebreak in the third. Well, not a tiebreak, but a very close match. Because, like I said, they know each other very well. It's easy for them to make an interesting and, you know, very close match.

Q. Last year Andy Roddick was talking about how many Grand Slams he would have won if Federer was not around. We know you have a problem with your serve. How many slams do you think you would have won if you had a really strong serve?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Well, I think Andy has one of the strongest serve on the tour, and he is out in the beginning of the first week here. So probably it's not only about the serve or how well you can serve. I mean, it's a game and something more. It's not an exhibition for your serve. I have something more and stronger in my game than, you know, that I play on the top level for so many years. So I don't think this way. I don't think the serve will take me to the top.

Q. Was the fact that you had played a couple of three-set matches, compared to Venus who had had straight sets all the way to the semifinal, do you think that was a factor in this match?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: No, not at all. I was feeling really ready to play. I was so ready. If she would give me a chance not serving like that, like 121, 125 the whole match, I would be able to make something, you know, better than today.

Mightymirza
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
love the part about andy roddick :lol:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Elena is so wrong

The only shit what you need in Wimbledon is a good serve

calabar
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Some of those media people are real PRICKS. Always trying to bait the players into controversial issues. One or the interviewer seem like s/he was hoping ED would accuse the Williamses of match fixng, so s/he would have something juicy to write about. Really disgusting.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:25 PM
very fair interview- i dont see any BS comments. just honest opinions.
Way to Go Elena!!!

matty
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:31 PM
She seems like a really classy person. I hope she wins a GS someday.

pov
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
Some of those media people are real PRICKS. Always trying to bait the players into controversial issues. One or the interviewer seem like s/he was hoping ED would accuse the Williamses of match fixng, so s/he would have something juicy to write about. Really disgusting.
Guess the interviewers succeeded as the pack at this forum has eagerly jumped all over it.

LCS
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
:worship:

Elwin.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
:hearts:

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:51 PM
Elena is so wrong

The only shit what you need in Wimbledon is a good serve

apparently not.

Dorien.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:55 PM
Elena :hug:

Selah
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
WTatour doing lots of damage control these days. LOL.

Asked about the likelihood of an all-Williams final, Dementieva said she couldn’t imagine playing against a sibling, adding, “For sure it’s going to be a family decision.”

Venus took offense to a question about a predetermined outcome.

“I’m extremely professional in everything that I do on and off the court,” Venus said. “I contribute my best in my sport and I also have a ton of respect for myself and my family. So any mention of that is extremely disrespectful for who I am, what I stand for, and my family.”

Later, Dementieva issued a statement through the WTA clarifying her comments, saying English was not her first language.

“I do not think for one second that matches between Serena and Venus Williams are family decisions,” she said. “What I meant was it is a unique situation for a family to be in to be playing for a Grand Slam title. I have a lot of respect for Serena and Venus.”

Calypso
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:12 PM

Asked about the likelihood of an all-Williams final, Dementieva said she couldn’t imagine playing against a sibling, adding, “For sure it’s going to be a family decision.”

“I’m extremely professional in everything that I do on and off the court,” Venus said. “I contribute my best in my sport and I also have a ton of respect for myself and my family. So any mention of that is extremely disrespectful for who I am, what I stand for, and my family.”

Later, Dementieva issued a statement through the WTA clarifying her comments, saying English was not her first language.

“I do not think for one second that matches between Serena and Venus Williams are family decisions,” she said. “What I meant was it is a unique situation for a family to be in to be playing for a Grand Slam title. I have a lot of respect for Serena and Venus.”

She meant exactly what she said. I've listened to Elena's interviews, and she communicates in English well enough not to misspeak. Elena probably meant it as a (bad) joke.

vwfan
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:23 PM
I believe that she meant to say that it was going to be all in the family. :rolleyes:

I like her and it was a good interview. No harm, no foul!

miffedmax
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
I'm sorry, but even reading the other parts of that interview I get the impression of a woman who speaks solid, but hardly flawless English, and has a limited understanding of nuance and subtext.

From what I understand, English is the hardest European language for nonnatives speakers to master. (And you can't convince the Brits that we Americans really speak all that well, either).

serenus_2k8
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
If Elena had wanted to bitch, I think she would have said something more clear like 'Whats the point in tuning in on saturday, we might as well just ask Richard?' or something like that. Even the interview people were split over what she meant, so clearly its a matter of language barrier.

For those of you who still believe her language is good enough to be 100% perfect all the time, you should try learning a 2nd language. It aint easy :lol:

Malva
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:49 PM

I register similar feelings. Those media types are often disgusting.

I read the interview with interest, and Lena sounded very sensible.

miffedmax
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:49 PM
2k8, can't goodrep you twice.

Malva
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:10 PM
She meant exactly what she said. I've listened to Elena's interviews, and she communicates in English well enough not to misspeak. Elena probably meant it as a (bad) joke.

I agree. Joke, or not, I believe she said what she meant. This has nothing to do with the fact that her English is far from flawless.

In her later 'clarification' for the media a reference to her incomplete grasp of English was understandably a convenient excuse.

The only all-Williams grand slam Final I watched, at US Open 2001, was years ago and it was by far the most anti-climactic grand slam Final that I saw in my whole life (and I watched a lot of grand slam Finals).

I remember that very vividly. The sisters were fighting before they reached the Final. In the Final itself, they played as if it was an exhibition tennis. Sorry to say that, but I couldn't hold off an impression that the result was somehow predetermined. Serena lost to Venus, and there was no real fight. The same Serena was fighting like crazy in other matches.

Dementieva is old enough to remember that too.

That experience persuaded me, by the way, not to want to watch any all-Williams matches in the future.

V-MAC
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:03 PM
I'm pretty certain that just came out wrong for elena :hug:

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:57 AM

Well, if this is true and she did say this, that's the end of the story for me. As long as she clarified it. Everything else- ie, if she really in her heart of hearts believes the Williams fix their matches- is just conjecture.

Experimentee
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:10 AM
She has said similar things before in Indian Wells a few years ago, so I wouldnt be surprised if she did mean it.

venus_rulez
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I agree. Joke, or not, I believe she said what she meant. This has nothing to do with the fact that her English is far from flawless.

In her later 'clarification' for the media a reference to her incomplete grasp of English was understandably a convenient excuse.

The only all-Williams grand slam Final I watched, at US Open 2001, was years ago and it was by far the most anti-climactic grand slam Final that I saw in my whole life (and I watched a lot of grand slam Finals).

I remember that very vividly. The sisters were fighting before they reached the Final. In the Final itself, they played as if it was an exhibition tennis. Sorry to say that, but I couldn't hold off an impression that the result was somehow predetermined. Serena lost to Venus, and there was no real fight. The same Serena was fighting like crazy in other matches.

Dementieva is old enough to remember that too.

That experience persuaded me, by the way, not to want to watch any all-Williams matches in the future.

Yes, and so saying they fix their matches is the most reasonable conclusion to come to. They couldn't have been nervous that the media hyped the final to the high heavens, or nervous that it was the first time in the open era that sisters were playing in a slam final, or even nervous that they were playing each other, or even nervous that it was the first women's final in primetime, no match fixing makes the most sense. :rolleyes: Especially when you compare that with the fact that Venus CLEARLY had a mental advantage over Serena at that time it all makes sense why that match didn't live up to expectations, it would have been near impossible for them to play to that high a level when they've both made it clear, Venus in particular, how hard it is for them to play.

Another thing, for those who think it was predetermined. Look at Venus' face when she gets to championship point and she's about to serve to Serena. The crowd is going absolutely nuts and Venus is shaking her head as if to say this is so unfair that i'm having to do this to my sister.

joão.
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Lol @ the 'family decision' part. :lol::lol::lol:
Lena :hearts:

So Disrespectful
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I love Elena's interviews. She's very professional about it all, but unlike some other players, she doesn't refrain from speaking her mind. I think it's definitely unfair to pass judgment on Elena, aside from the fact that her english is less than perfect to begin with, written words are very different to spoken words. If we'd seen how she actually conveyed those words, we might have different opinions.

manu32
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:56 AM
how many "I mean" in this interview??