PDA

View Full Version : Will the Williams sisters do anything the rest of year after Wimby?

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Do you think they will go for it and play hard the rest of the year...or under-achieve/get injured/rest much of the remainder of the season?

Here is post Wimbeldon 2007 for both girls...Venus wasnt bad, but Serena? :o:

Serena 9-5 (0 titles, 1 final)
Venus 20-4 (1 title(Seoul), 2 finals)

This isnt a hating thread, just curious if you guys think they will go all out the rest of the season and really help there rankings.

kiwifan
Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Will anything short of another Sister Slam at the US Open count as having done something? :nerner:

right now, don't care, just be happy!!!

Direwolf
Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:41 PM
hopefully...
Venus plays a healthy schedule..
and not that 3weeks in asia

friendsita
Serena will win the Olympics and the US Open and Venus Wimby and the YEC. THAT IS MY PREDICTION!

hotandspicey
Do you think they will go for it and play hard the rest of the year...or under-achieve/get injured/rest much of the remainder of the season?

Here is post Wimbeldon 2007 for both girls...Venus wasnt bad, but Serena? :o:

Serena 9-5 (0 titles, 1 final)
Venus 20-4 (1 title(Seoul), 2 finals)

This isnt a hating thread, just curious if you guys think they will go all out the rest of the season and really help there rankings.

I'm so happy right now I don't give two hoots. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. :rolleyes:

kwilliams
Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
I think they'll both be good this summer...not sure about after that, even if they'll play after that.

Venus had 5 top 10 wins between Fed Cup, San Diego and the USO last year. So hopefully she'll impress again this summer.

Serena played sporadically but she did well in Moscow...however we should remember she didn't make it to the Wimbledon final last year, just the QF. I hope this bolsters her more. I really want her to win the Olympics!

Dave.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:44 PM
Serena was already doing really well this year before Wimbledon having won 3 titles and made a GS QF.

Venus is the one who has really turned it on this Wimbledon after a poor year (by her standards) so far.

I think Serena will continue in the manner she's been going in all year but I'm not too sure about Venus. I'd think she is more confident now after her run here and that she should have a good 2nd half of the year.

ASP0315
Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
nah, hard courts are different. They did not play thier best in wimbledon and still reached finals.(thanks to some early losses of top 5 players and some easy draws that they got.) good for them though. once in while they will play each other and enjoy themselves.
Hard courts are different.Serves are pretty easy to return there.
I don't expect them to do much on hard court expect may be winning one or two Micky mouse events.

Ivanovic and sharapova are clear favorites to win at USO imo. They got a perfect hard court games.

Marcelo.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
No matter what happens, one of them will win a Grand Slam, wich i think is great for a season :worship:

Marcelo.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
nah, hard courts are different. They did not play thier best in wimbledon and still reached finals.(thanks to some early losses of top 5 players and some easy draws that they got.) good for them though. once in while they will play each other and enjoy themselves.
I don't expect them to do much on hard court expect may be winning one or two Micky mouse events.

Ivanovic and sharapova are clear favorites to win at USO imo. They got a perfect hard court games.

Yes, like they were for Wimbledon :lick:

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:58 PM
Whoever doesn't win will be fierce the rest of the season.

ASP0315
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
Yes, like they were for Wimbledon :lick:

They are never a favorite to win wimbledon. ;)
i actually predicted sharapova would lose before 4th and ivanovic to lose in QF.

SunriseSunset
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
Is this for fans of players who didn't do well this Wimbledon? To make them feel better? As if to say "who cares about Wimbledon if they tank afterwards?"

youizahoe
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:19 PM
Serena Wins, Wimby, US Open and Olympics.

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:23 PM
No matter what happens, one of them will win a Grand Slam, wich i think is great for a season :worship:
yep. and serena's 31-3 this year, which isn't too shabby! so yes, they will do just amazing after Wimbledon:wavey:

youizahoe
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:24 PM

Serena Williams has the best hardcourt game in the world. No wonder she's in the top 5 of the best hard-court-performers ever.

frenchie
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
A few observations:

Venus traditionnaly finds her form around Wimbledon.
She has only 840 points to defend until the end of the year and she already plans to play LA, Montreal, the Olympics and the USO!
Her goal should be to qualify for the YEC and she can reach top 5 by the end of the year!

Serena will battle for the number 1 spot! If she wins on saturday, she'll lead the race!
Serena has only 656 points to defend this year and already plans to play Stanford, LA, the Olympics and the USO

Pureracket
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:48 PM

ASP0315
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
Serena Williams has the best hardcourt game in the world. No wonder she's in the top 5 of the best hard-court-performers ever.

actually i do agree. Serena got a better hard court game than her sister. But winning USO is going to be difficult for her imo. She did well in australia in the past. Beat venus,davenport and sharapova to take those titles. she is good on hard. i agree but her serve is pretty breakable on hard and she gets players like jankovic. she might struggle against them because jankovic is so good at defensive game.

But not venus though. She lost to sharapova three times on hard court. last year in San Diego she lost to anna chakvatadze while serving for the match. :lol: this year lost to cibulkova in doha and kvitova in memphis.
I don't see her winning much on the hard court season though.

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
:wavey: 12 of 26 voters so far happen to think at least one of them will suck it up

cellophane
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:55 PM
The US Open should be interesting.

Marshmallow
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:14 PM
If Serena wins wimbledon pencil her in as player of the secondhalf of the season IMO. She will put the pressure to win a slam behind her and will be confident. A fit, healthy and confident Serena off clay with this crop of players is Hands down the best of the bunch. It could be dominant.

If she doesn't win she's still looking good for some big titles. With THAT serve and that mentality on hardcourts :help:

If Venus wins she'll be confident and will be touh to beat leading up to the open provided she stays healthy. I can only hope it would translate to more bg titles but our Vee is queen of unpredictability.
If Venus doesn't win pretty much the same. Might be nervous closing out big title matches but her attitude will probably be I can beat anyone for sure except for maybe Serena.

n any case I think they'll both take a lot of confidence from this. Hope they win doubles too.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:38 PM
Serena was injured last summer/fall, so now that she's healthy.....I think she'll keep doing QUITE well for herself.

Infiniti2001
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I know as a professional Venus will want to back up her Wimbledon win--- but personally , I don't care if she doesn't win anymore the rest of 2008. The fact that she shut up the posters serenidad and sirshitwhit is good enough for me :haha: :rolls:

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Not a great start. :(

I thought this might be a valid question.

winone23
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Venus and Serena back-up their success at Wimbledon.

Infiniti2001
Nov 11th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Miss Venus did in a big way :p

P.S. I had this bookmarked on IE, a browser I never use :lol:

jrollaneres25
Nov 11th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Serena will win the Olympics and the US Open and Venus Wimby and the YEC. THAT IS MY PREDICTION!

Nearly a flawless prediction

HRHoliviasmith
Nov 11th, 2008, 05:49 AM

:eek:

starin
Nov 11th, 2008, 07:46 AM

actually i do agree. Serena got a better hard court game than her sister. But winning USO is going to be difficult for her imo. She did well in australia in the past. Beat venus,davenport and sharapova to take those titles. she is good on hard. i agree but her serve is pretty breakable on hard and she gets players like jankovic. she might struggle against them because jankovic is so good at defensive game.

But not venus though. She lost to sharapova three times on hard court. last year in San Diego she lost to anna chakvatadze while serving for the match. :lol: this year lost to cibulkova in doha and kvitova in memphis.
I don't see her winning much on the hard court season though.

WOW wrong on soooooo many levels. Serves are pretty easy to return on hard?? Serena's serve is pretty breakable on hard??? what were you smoking. if Serena and Venus' serves are not effective on hard then who's serve is? I'll agree that Venus serve is more effective on grass but the opposite is true for Serena. Her serve is more effective on hard.

And anyways I'm really proud of both WS for winning those MM titles. :worship: