PDA

View Full Version : Shame on Ivanovic, Sharapova, and Jankovic for their poor Wimbledon performances

dave1971
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:09 PM
this was just embarrassing for the sport that these supposedly top players lost without even a decent fight in early rounds to no-name players. Hats off to the Williams and Dementieva for bringing their best game to the most-watched tennis event in the world.

tennnisfannn
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
Early losses usually mean top players arrive at the next slam rearing to go, look at the sisters and their early FO losses. Watch how maria tears up the hard court season next.

oleada
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:14 PM
Jankovic injured her knee in her match....

doni1212
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:14 PM
:lol:

Adal
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:15 PM
How about RG 2008?

Craig.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Nice 67th post, whiner.

Destiny
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Oh well i still got my wanted final :p

WF4EVER
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks for holding the right people responsible and now blaming Venus and Serena for their failures.
Not sure it would have made a difference if they had advanced to meet the sisters, but their performances were disappointing, ntl.

DownTheLine21
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
It's time to get over this. Every player has early losses throughout his or her career.

Serenita
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
It's hard when your overhyped to perform at each and every GS!

pancake
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:20 PM
Each of the 'no-name' players, actually does have a name.

Serenidad.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
Ivanovic and Jankovic are not grasscourt players.

Ivanovic doesn't like the low bounce and the lack of time on her huge forehand. Also, her movement and backhand are poor.

Jankovic will always be vulnerable to the Tanasugarns, Bartolis, and Zhengs on grass. Too much of a defensive pusher and such a weak serve.

SOA_MC
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
So Dave1971 can you name the one player who has made 2 Grand Slam Finals this year?:rolleyes:

Dodoboy.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
I am only disappointed in Pova to be honest.

But i guess she couldn't do it!

I really wanted her in the SF!

aussie_fan
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
:lol: at this thread

All players have their bad days, get over it.

youizahoe
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:35 PM
Ivanovic and Jankovic are good players, but they lack what the Champions have racing inside their veins. You're either born with it or not. They'll both end up like Clijsters.

If they wanna become real champions they should both drop their modeling and get some attitude inside their head, because it's easier to win when you are bitch, than when you are a nice/sweet girl.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
I have to admit, I thought Ana's game set up nicely for Wimby, and I still do, but I was truly surprised by her exit. Shapo's not so much. When she struggles on serve, everything falls apart, but it was still disappointing to see her go. Janko, I couldn't care less about.

SharapovaFan16
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
It's hard when your overhyped to perform at each and every GS!

Overhyped? Do you even know what you are saying? Ivanovic and Maria have no excuse but Jankovic was injured. Stuff like this happens. That's why they play the matches. If upsets didn't occur they should just take the top 4 seeds and advance them to the semis to duke it out. Sorry, but that isn't how tennis or life really works.

Still not that excited about Maria on hard court and the U.S. Open. Just seems like after Australia and everything that has taken place the rest of the year just hasn't belonged to her.

hankqq
What happened to "it's great to see the depth of women's tennis?" Sharapova, Ivanovic and Jankovic thought they could all pull a Williams sister act and skip a grass warm up. They were wrong. Even though I'm a fan of Ivanovic, I didn't mind when she, Sharapova and Jankovic crashed out early. Zheng was a feel-good story of the tournament, and I give Dementieva mad props for reaching her first Wimbledon semi ever.

I will LOL if next year, Sharapova, Ivanovic and Jankovic are listed as the favorites to win Wimbledon.

joćo.
Early losses usually mean top players arrive at the next slam rearing to go, look at the sisters and their early FO losses. Watch how maria tears up the hard court season next.

ia

Pris
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:42 PM
and SHAME on Selima Sfar!

Bijoux0021
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
What happened to "it's great to see the depth of women's tennis?" Sharapova, Ivanovic and Jankovic thought they could all pull a Williams sister act and skip a grass warm up. They were wrong. Even though I'm a fan of Ivanovic, I didn't mind when she, Sharapova and Jankovic crashed out early. Zheng was a feel-good story of the tournament, and I give Dementieva mad props for reaching her first Wimbledon semi ever.

I will LOL if next year, Sharapova, Ivanovic and Jankovic are listed as the favorites to win Wimbledon.
I don't know about Ivanovic and Jankovic, but expect over-hyped Sharapova to be listed as the favorite next year at Wimbledon, AGAIN. Some people just can't let go. They are too delusional to do so.

Serenita
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:57 PM
Overhyped? Do you even know what you are saying? Ivanovic and Maria have no excuse but Jankovic was injured. Stuff like this happens. That's why they play the matches. If upsets didn't occur they should just take the top 4 seeds and advance them to the semis to duke it out. Sorry, but that isn't how tennis or life really works.

Still not that excited about Maria on hard court and the U.S. Open. Just seems like after Australia and everything that has taken place the rest of the year just hasn't belonged to her.

Like i said many players "who are the new generation of top players"just don't have what it takes to dominate the game of tennis" yeah they can win slams, but you don't have any of these players who can dominate the game. Pova ain't shit without her serve, Ana cant hit a decent ball if ball drops to low, Jelena is just a pusher with a crappy serve.

at the moment no one is taking the lead in tennis and remember the WS aint gonna to be around forever
:wavey:

youizahoe
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:58 PM

What's the point to be the favourite, when you can't seal the deal?

serenus_2k8
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
I think such losses add to interest tbh.

But yeh, WS Final is like another huge reward for all the hating done on them :worship:

Dunno who I want to win though!

Pris
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
oh, she wasn't there. :) :wavey:

youizahoe
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
I just want a nice match, Clearly I favor Serena, but I favor a good match above anything.

Nikkiri
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:02 PM
How about RG 2008?

:worship:

Smackie
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I rather have Maria/Ana vs Venus - what seeds have the WS beaten in this Wimbly? Sorry, after the 'falling of the seeds' at the end of the first week, I've lost interest in watching the Ladies single matches. It's so obviously that it would be a flipping boring WS final after Saturday - (sorry Jelena and Elena, love you both but would never picked you gals as champion)

I hope Venus wins. Can't stand Serena at present.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
I agree with Pova . I missed her in semis or QF at least

Ivanovic can do nothing against the Sisters in Wim

Jankovic can lose to any rival

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Thats the problem with todays top players- they are not as dominant as the former top 4 players.
Before it was- Hingis vs Davenport- upsets those times are very unlikely.
Then theres Venus and Serena- Now theres a big 4.
Then the Belgians came in as Linds and Hingis succomb to injuries which made another set of Big 4.
Today, serbians are the top player with Sharapova, I really dont see any intimidating factor from them compare to top players I mentioned before.

Smackie
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
I agree with Pova . I missed her in semis or QF at least

Ivanovic can do nothing against the Sisters in Wim

Jankovic can lose to any rival

Jankovic can lose to the Umpire, the crowd, the wind, the blisters, the ball boys/girls, the rain and of course her opponent sometimes.

I think Ana vs Venus or Maria vs Serena would be a better final. Two Williamses is just too much of a 'family affair' which I THINK is less appealing than even a Venus vs Zheng, Purely because of 'whoever wins, the Williamses wins' just lose the excitment.

My (male) colleagues wanted Maria vs Ana and them grunting as loud as possible - they don't really care about a WS final. They rather watching a men's match anytime.

Smackie
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Thats the problem with todays top players- they are not as dominant as the former top 4 players.
Before it was- Hingis vs Davenport- upsets those times are very unlikely.
Then theres Venus and Serena- Now theres a big 4.
Then the Belgians came in as Linds and Hingis succomb to injuries which made another set of Big 4.
Today, serbians are the top player with Sharapova, I really dont see any intimidating factor from them compare to top players I mentioned before.

Very true. The fact is, even though Ana being at the no. 1 spot, you really can't answer 'WHO IS THE BEST?' It's just not convincing.

No one is dominating the tour like Lindsay, Jen, Martina and Venus, then Serena, then Justine (and a bit of Kim) did in the last decade or so.

Bruno71
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
I love it...another typical GM thread full of whiny fans. What player hasn't had at least a few losses like these? None. Grow up.

ChriS.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:21 PM
this was just embarrassing for the sport that these supposedly top players lost without even a decent fight in early rounds to no-name players. Hats off to the Williams and Dementieva for bringing their best game to the most-watched tennis event in the world.10 out of 10 for stupidity! If you cared to check the facts you would know Jankovic was injured (torn knee meniscus (cartilage)) early in the first set against Wozniacki and played her next match against her doctor's advice. Ivanovic was, understandably, not mentally prepared for her tough match after her victory in Paris. If Jelena was fit she would have done much better than Elena against an opponent with whom she has a 4-1 lead in their last five matches.