PDA

View Full Version : Top 20 of the open era

Henry Kaspar
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:30 PM
These are my personal top 20 female tennis players of the open era. The main criterion is career achievements.

"During the open era" requires clarification. A player is considered if she had major successes during the open era. In case she is considered, however, her entire career is taken into account, and not just the results in open era tournaments. Thus, Margaraet Court's and Billie Jean King's ratings are based on results both during the pre-open and the open era. By contrast I did not consider Maria Bueno, as she won all her majors before the open era.

This list and much more related material can be found here (http://www.yokozunatennis.blogspot.com).

1 Margaret Court
2 Steffi Graf
3 Martina Navratilova
4 Chris Evert
5 Billie Jean King

6 Monica Seles
7 Serena Williams
8 Evonne Goolagong
9 Justine Henin
10 Venus Williams

11 Martina Hingis
12 Arantxa Sanchez Vicario
13 Hana Mandlikova
14 Lindsay Davenport
15 Jennifer Capriati

16 Anne Haydon-Jones
17 Maria Sharapova
18 Virginia Wade
19 Tracy Austin
20 Gabriela Sabatini

The Kaz
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
Who is Anne Haydon-Jones??? :help:

I have heard of everyone on that list bar her...

mckyle.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
I would place Steffi and Martina N. above Margaret.

Marionated
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:42 PM
That's a pretty good list but I would switch Venus and Hingis.

The Kaz
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:43 PM

Court won the Grand Slam in 1970 and you think Navratilova should be higher :tape:

That woman is WAY overrated :rolleyes:

Henry Kaspar
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:50 PM

Court won more slams than Graf or Navratilova, which is why I ahve her higher, but these are small differences between legends. The first 4-6 are really tennis roalty.

Ann Haydon-Jones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Haydon-Jones) was a British player in the 1960s who won three Grand Slam titles. Most of her career took place before the open era, but in 1969 she reached the final at the French Open in 1969 (losing to Court) and then won Wimbledon (over King). Thereafter she retired.

darrinbaker00
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
Court won more slams than Graf or Navratilova, which is why I ahve her higher, but these are small differences between legends. The first 4-6 are really tennis roalty.

Ann Haydon-Jones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Haydon-Jones) was a British player in the 1960s who won three Grand Slam titles. Most of her career took place before the open era, but in 1969 she reached the final at the French Open in 1969 (losing to Court) and then won Wimbledon (over King). Thereafter she retired.
You titled this thread "Top 20 of the OPEN ERA. I loves me some Margaret Court, but 13 of her 24 singles majors came BEFORE the Open Era began in 1968. If you can still have Court as your #1, that's your business, but I think that needed to be pointed out to you.

darkchild
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
Where is Mary though?
Sabatini has only one slam...

mckyle.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:07 PM
You titled this thread "Top 20 of the OPEN ERA. I loves me some Margaret Court, but 13 of her 24 singles majors came BEFORE the Open Era began in 1968. If you can still have Court as your #1, that's your business, but I think that needed to be pointed out to you.

Exactly. If he's going to discredit Bueno's majors, he has to do the same for the majority of Court's.

Another reason why Steffi is #1 in my eyes is because she dominated on every surface. She's the only player to win every major at least four times, while Court won the majority of her slams on grass.

égalité
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:08 PM
Henin above Hingis :tape:

Henry Kaspar
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:12 PM

Sure, half a Court achieved less than Graf. But I doesn't appeal to me to consider artificially truncated careers.

Henry Kaspar
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:13 PM
Exactly. If he's going to discredit Bueno's majors, he has to do the same for the majority of Court's.

Another reason why Steffi is #1 in my eyes is because she dominated on every surface. She's the only player to win every major at least four times, while Court won the majority of her slams on grass.

Bueno I just disregarded entirely, rather than counting the 5 percent of her career that were in the open era. If I had included Bueno she would be around #7.

Btw, I have no quibbles if someone ranks Steffi ahead of Court even when considering all of Court's career. As said, these are tiny differences between legends, and one can find arguments in favor of either player.

Henry Kaspar
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:18 PM
Where is Mary though?
Sabatini has only one slam...

I was indeed torn between Sabatini and Pierce for #20. As you say, Pierce won 2 slams compard to Sabatin's one (as did Mauresmo, btw), but Sabatini reached 18 semifinals and 28 quarterfinals, compared to Pierce's 6/14.

Dawson.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:21 PM
virginia wade should be higher

morbidangle
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:26 PM
Steffi and Martina should be above Margaret for sure, if we are talking about Open era.
Mary should be above Gaby IMO, cause 2 slams and 4 finals >>> 1 slam and 2 finals

darkchild
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
I was indeed torn between Sabatini and Pierce for #20. As you say, Pierce won 2 slams compard to Sabatin's one (as did Mauresmo, btw), but Sabatini reached 18 semifinals and 28 quarterfinals, compared to Pierce's 6/14.

At the end of day, people would remember the number but not the consistency, so I think it is fair to place Mary at 20. Lindsay is also another one suffering from that.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
nice list. Serena, Venus, Maria, (and hopefully Mary, Amelie) still have a chance to go up!

jj74
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:41 PM

GS, Henin 7, Hingis 5. The diference is obvious

ce
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:43 PM

tell me one reason why she shouldnt be :tape:

Dave.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
This isn't a list of the top 20 players of the open era, but the top 20 singles players.

I'd put Lindsay at least at no.12 if not higher.