PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova r Capriati - who is better?

Sha_ra_po_va
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:38 AM
Just noticed that 2 of my all-time faves have spent exactly the same number of weeks at number one (17), both have 3 slams, both have real reason to hate those williams girls!JK. Who do you think was/is better? Who would you choose to play for you in that crucial match for your life? Who would win if they play at their peak?:)
BTW, I just edge towards Maria, cos of the slams she's won and her potential to win more.

skanky~skanketta
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
Capriati. She had more skills. Her biggest problem was her serve, but it's not like her serve was horrendous. First serve good, second serve ok. Her first serve percentage was always crap though. Her movement was miles better, forehand was fantastic, she was pretty good at the net, her BH slice stayed low, and she could play on all surfaces.Sharapova has a better attitude, much better serve (though with her shoulder injury, it's become shite), and more sting on her backhand.

JCap had pretty much every shot in the book. However, when it comes down to motivation, no doubt Sharapova trumps her.

Overall, I think JCap is the better player.

morbidangle
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
Right now, I'll give a slight edge to Jennifer, because of her records as a young girl and the comeback. Eventually Maria will end up with the (much) better career.

lavigne41
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:47 AM
Maria :D

liuxuan
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
Jennifer no doubt - with her back up against the wall against Serena - she faught like a lion, and gave Serena the most intense rivalry she has experience, cant say that about Maria.

Plus, Jennifers first period in the top ten was 1990-1993, probably the most difficult time ever to win your firtst slam or break the top 5. Her peak was 2001-2002, and 2003-2004 to a lesser extent, when the competition in womens tennis was at its highest level in the top ten IMO, yet she was ranked #1, won 3 slams, would have won more in any other period.

If were talking Jennifer 2001 vs Sharapova 2006 in a grandslam final - Jennifer would take 3 of the 4 (Sharapova might edge Wimby, but who knows!).

Serve - Maria, altho its becoming more and more of a liability
Forehand - Jennifer ALL the way :worship:
Backhand - Maria
Movement - Jennifer
Stamina/ability to rally - Jennifer
Mental Strength - kinda even, when deep in a big match dogfight, Jennifer (go watch AO 02 final, or RG 01 final!)
Volleys/touch - Jennifer

Tennis Ball
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:55 AM
Maria is not a good player. Besides, she cheats. Also, she has been lucky in her career, with the absence of the #1 and #2 in 2004. She is one of the most overrated players imo.

brayster87
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Maria is not a good player. Besides, she cheats. Also, she has been lucky in her career, with the absence of the #1 and #2 in 2004. She is one of the most overrated players imo.

You hit the nail on the head! Great post! :worship:

Adal
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Too bad it's 2008 now :hug:

lavigne41
Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:00 PM
How does she cheat? :lol:

Serenidad.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
How does she cheat? :lol:

Bananas, handsignals ( see YEC 2004 onward ), warned and fined AO 07 for illegal coaching, etc.

I guess you're oblivious.

Capriati is better far more talented. More variety. She had the forehand, slice backhand, volley, movement. Sharapova would be the favorite on grass only maybe.

lavigne41
Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
Bananas, handsignals ( see YEC 2004 onward ), warned and fined AO 07 for illegal coaching, etc.

I don't count that as cheating, it's not as though she's match fixing. :rolleyes:

You may be right there. :o

liuxuan
Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:27 PM

Capriati is better far more talented. More variety. She had the forehand, slice backhand, volley, movement. Sharapova would be the favorite on grass only maybe.

Not sinc e 06 when her serve became only top 20 material!

drgray
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:41 PM

Is that a joke? That is hardly cheating. Justine cheated. RG against Serena much?

And flash forward looking at the players she has beaten to win slams... yeah, hardly luck.

Pebbles
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:45 PM
I miss J-Cap :tears:

frenchie
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
Jennifer was way more talented and had more natural skills

Serge007
Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:02 PM
Jennifer was way more talented and had more natural skills
Jennifer even much better Myskina... :-)

John.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:04 PM
Jennifer had loads more talent

Danči Dementia
Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:04 PM
Jennifer

tennisbear7
Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Jennifer Capriati goes down as one of the most talented players ever.

But Maria is making/has made the most of her talent. JCap could be a headcase.

So I think Capriati is more talented, but Maria is and will be more successful.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
Jennifer by far.

I think Maria will wind up with a better career, but Jennifer was more talented and had stronger technique on ever shot except the serve.

Slutati
Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:46 PM
:hearts::hearts:

Jen is better of course.

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Maria Sharapova.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:59 PM
I like both of them equally.......

Henry Kaspar
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:02 PM
According to my Yokozuna Tennis stats (http://www.yokozunatennis.blogspot.com), Capriati is a female Yokozuna of tennis (the highest rank that can be achieved), even though one of the less accomplished ones. Sharapova has thus far made it only to Ozeki (the secdon highest rank), but she is already one of the best Ozeki of the open era.

Il Primo!
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
Jennifer by far.

I think Maria will wind up with a better career, but Jennifer was more talented and had stronger technique on ever shot except the serve.

I respectfully disagree. Maria's BH is better than Jen's.

And Maria is better overall:)

OsloErik
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
Better in terms of ability? I think Capriati at her best could go toe-to-toe with Graf, Serena, Navratilova, and all the other all-time greats. Sharapova's best wouldn't stand up to those three.

In terms of career, Sharapova will have a better career. Almost undoubtedly. But at the moment, I'd go with Capriati. If they were to retire today, Capriati would have the "greater" career, but by the time both are done, Sharapova will almost certainly have the better career.

OsloErik
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
According to my Yokozuna Tennis stats (http://www.yokozunatennis.blogspot.com), Capriati is a female Yokozuna of tennis (the highest rank that can be achieved), even though one of the less accomplished ones. Sharapova has thus far made it only to Ozeki (the secdon highest rank), but she is already one of the best Ozeki of the open era.

Let me be the first to ask:

What?

Dave.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:13 PM
Jen, no question.

kiwifan
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:16 PM
When its all said and done, you've got to like Maria...

...but J Cap was the real deal (it is a shame she wasted her prime years, but she still got a happy ending)

In The Zone
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
Better in terms of ability? I think Capriati at her best could go toe-to-toe with Graf, Serena, Navratilova, and all the other all-time greats. Sharapova's best wouldn't stand up to those three.

In terms of career, Sharapova will have a better career. Almost undoubtedly. But at the moment, I'd go with Capriati. If they were to retire today, Capriati would have the "greater" career, but by the time both are done, Sharapova will almost certainly have the better career.

I agree 100%.

Henry Kaspar
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:28 PM
Let me be the first to ask:

What?

It would take too much space to explain in detail here, but the basic idea is to apply career-ranking criteria from sumo (Japan's national sport) to Grand Slam tennis. If you are interested click on the link. (http://www.yokozunatennis.blogspot.com)

Applying these criteria yields 14 and 15 female Yokozuna (Grand Champions) since the beginning of the open era, with the usual suspects all being there, from Laver to Federer, and from Court to the Williams sisters. There are also 28 male and 28 female Ozeki (Champions), and scores of junior champions (Sekiwake and Komosubi).

Cheers,
Henry

joão.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:29 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Henry Kaspar
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
My take: Sharapova can be brilliant but she can also be awful. To date, she lacks the consistency at the highest level that most of the greatest champions had, including Capriati at her peak. This said, Sharapova is still only 21 -- people sometimes forget -- and can still develop this quality. A consistent Sharapova would undoubtedly be up there with the very best all time.

supergrunt
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:55 PM
Capriati was faster but Maria hit harder.

shirley
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:27 PM
Jennifer gets my vote

carling
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
Capriati. No contest.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
In terms of game , Jen

Achievements , well Pova is gonna win more GS

goldenlox
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:13 PM
I think it's too early to make a career judgement on Sharapova.
She might be stuck at 3 majors, or she might win a lot more

Pris
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:49 PM
Jenny, as she sexy alot.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
JCap!

Kart
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:00 PM
Sharapova has more of a champion's mentality and has been more of a challenge to the really top players than JenCap ever was.

Optima
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:03 PM

:rolls:

Riiiiight.

mashamaniac
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:49 PM
Maria for sure...

SV_Fan
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:25 PM
JCap by miles.

hacberto
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:30 PM
Jennifer

xan
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:35 PM
Another stupid thread! :rolleyes:

How about Who is better, Maria or Suzanne Lenglen? Maria or Little Mo? It's about as useful.

Maria and JCap have never played each other formally, and didn't even play against the same fields.
Pointless thread.

the cat
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:40 PM
Who's better between Sharapova and Capriati? Masha obviously. When Jennifer was Masha's age she was a bust as a player. I don't think anyone can say that about Sharapova. It's nice that Capriati had a resurgence later in her career. But I can't put her at Maria's level as a tennis player.

jenny161185
Jul 4th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Who's better between Sharapova and Capriati? Masha obviously. When Jennifer was Masha's age she was a bust as a player. I don't think anyone can say that about Sharapova. It's nice that Capriati had a resurgence later in her career. But I can't put her at Maria's level as a tennis player.

Ofcourse you can this is about who is the better tennis player sure theyre nearly equal on accomplishments but I dont see how you couldnt say Jen is better? but you can say Maria is....

Anyway Its jen for me , great talent and sure she could have one 10 + slams if shed played through but everything in life happens for some kind of reason and she knows it :wavey::kiss: loved her attitude on and off the court aswell ;)

danieln1
Jul 4th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Maria obviously

ASP0315
Jul 4th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Capriati without a doubt.

Sharapova is a ovverated/overhyped one dimensional ballbasher. Gotten lucky in her career and had some favorable draws. otherwise she is at best a top 15-20 player.

slamchamp
Jul 4th, 2008, 02:47 AM
stupid thread, and here is where all the maria haters say she's overrated bla,blah, blahh :yawn:

Craig.
Jul 4th, 2008, 02:54 AM

Sharapova is a ovverated/overhyped one dimensional ballbasher. Gotten lucky in her career and had some favorable draws. otherwise she is at best a top 15-20 player.

Yeah. 3 slams = lucky.

Don't hate, be realistic.

And by the way, I'm sure most of your favorite players would die to have half the 'lucky' career Maria's had. ;)

Pebbles
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Kinda random comparison thread? :confused: They are both great players in their own right, both good at different things. Would be unfair to compare them this early in Maria's career.

slamchamp
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:08 AM
maria's career is gonna be better anyway

Nicolás89
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Mental Strength - kinda even, when deep in a big match dogfight, Jennifer (go watch AO 02 final, or RG 01 final!)

Ok, that's laughable.

ASP0315
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Yeah. 3 slams = lucky.

Don't hate, be realistic.
And by the way,I'm sure most of your favorite players would die to have half the 'lucky' career Maria's had. ;)

:lol: says a bitter fan who can't face the reality himself. ;)

slamchamp
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:21 AM
:lol: says a bitter fan who can't face the reality himself. ;)why was she lucky? let me guess justine serena momo let her win the matches?:awww: She got a "cakewalk" draw:tape: ?

ASP0315
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:26 AM

completely agree.
She used illegal coaching several times at USO 2006 as well but got away with it.

slamchamp
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:28 AM
completely agree.
She used illegal coaching several times at USO 2006 as well but got away with it. stop whining :baby:

ASP0315
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:33 AM
why was she lucky? let me guess justine serena momo let her win the matches?:awww: She got a "cakewalk" draw:tape: ?

She did earn her championship in 2008 i agree.
but she got lucky in 2004 wimbledon and 2006 USO.
and yes last time i checked she got 6 or 7 easy draws until the semifinals and where as justine, serena and venus were given hard draws. ;)

good for though but i don't like her game and her oncourt actics she uses.(i.e illegal coaching, gamesmenship tactics, screaming , grunting etc.)

ASP0315
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:34 AM
stop whining :baby:

says the biggest baby himself. :lol:

ASP0315
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:38 AM
anyway i'm done talking to these tards. Just hope and pray that another unranked player won't kick her out.:devil:
BTW i predicted ivanovic and sharapova to win uso open.(although i highly doubt sharapova will win though. :lol )

slamchamp
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:40 AM
anyway i'm done talking to these tards. Just hope and pray that another unranked player won't kick her out.:devil:
BTW i predicted ivanovic and sharapova to win uso open.(although i highly doubt sharapova will win though. :lol )

how can two players win one tournament?:lol::help:

ASP0315
Jul 4th, 2008, 03:47 AM
how can two players win one tournament?:lol::help:

ahh you got me there. :p

Slutati
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Maybe they will play doubles together:shrug::p

Dave.
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:15 AM

Imagine it :rolls:

I still wanna see what Maria and Marion were like together :lol:

Craig.
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:18 AM
:lol: says a bitter fan who can't face the reality himself. ;)

:lol: Says a biased, pathetic hater who can't face the reality himself. ;)

This works both ways hon, and you know I'm right. So just give up, you've already lost anyway. :wavey:

ASP0315
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:19 AM

i would love to see that pairing. :cool:

The match should be even more hillarious if they face the william sisters. :lol: :lol:

abercrombieguy23
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:23 AM
I'm slightly biased but Jen ...

I wish she would have gone straight through in her career and not had those absent years....

I think her serve and net play are good but her forehand has to be one of the best ever

Sander.
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Jeniffer:)

teo_honey
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Another stupid thread! :rolleyes:

How about Who is better, Maria or Suzanne Lenglen? Maria or Little Mo? It's about as useful.

Maria and JCap have never played each other formally, and didn't even play against the same fields.
Pointless thread.
That's not true, they did play each other once, in 2004. It was Berlin 3rd Round. I don't remember the exact score, but Jennifer won 6-1 in the third set.

Miss Amor
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:02 PM
jen is better imo

GrafMariaPetraK
Jul 4th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Sharapova

TSequoia01
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Without a doubt Jennifer's best level was higher. But Maria is more consistent in her level of play. At her best Jen could battle anyone. Her classic matches with Serena still bring smiles to my face. Jen's court coverage was legendary and that forehand is still talked about. Having said that she rarely won. She had something like 14 total victories in her career. Great player though.

Nicolás89
Jul 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM
but she got lucky in 2004 wimbledon and 2006 USO.

Oh yeah totally, Davenport, Serena, Amelie and Justine are so easy to beat for her.

Kart
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:26 PM

Sharapova is a ovverated/overhyped one dimensional ballbasher. Gotten lucky in her career and had some favorable draws.
The irony in this post is beyond hilarious.

JenCap was not exactly renowned for her multi-dimensional game and its all court finesse.