PDA

View Full Version : How does Demetieva win this match if Venus plays well?

Volcana
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:13 AM
These are two players who are routinely, when healthy, in the top ten. Obviously, if one has a good day while the other has a bad day, the one having the good day wins. Put that aside.

Venus Williams has a ridiculous record at Wimbledon. 56-7. Venus can be beaten here. She's lost seven times. But obviously she's very comfortable on this surface, witness four championships. Dementieva has never made it as far as the semis before.

So let's say Venus plays well. Not 'lights out' but well. How does Dementieva win this match?

venusallday
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:15 AM
she doesn't

LudwigDvorak
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:19 AM
Playing well for Venus still includes enough unforced errors to keep Dementieva alive as long as Elena can force enough action with her forehand and pass Venus *enough* at net.

Still wouldn't be sure of Elena pulling out a win if Venus is consistently playing well tho.

Pasta-Na
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:21 AM
use her beauty :hearts:

kiwifan
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:27 AM
I Venus plays well, Demented could play better. :p

Apoleb
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:29 AM
She can't and that's why she basically sux.

Stamp Paid
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:29 AM
If Venus plays well, Dementieva will be owned.
But Venus hasnt played well in 2008. At any point prior to Wimbledon in 2008, Elena would have dismissed Venus. Venus has been cushioned in this draw and she hasnt had to face any serious test until now. I hope shes healthy and prepared, otherwise Elena will shellshock her.

Chunchun
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:36 AM
use her beauty :hearts:

This is pointless :D I thought you hate her??? Myskina?

AnomyBC
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:40 AM
1. Have a crazed fan jump out of the stands and stab her
2. Pray for her to be hit by lightning
3. Poison her before the match
4. Put a dress and a blonde wig on Federer and sneak him onto the court in her place
5. Disguise herself as Serena Williams
6. Join with other Russian players to form Voltron-like super-player
7. Actually serve well

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:40 AM
Venus playing well on GRASS, NO ONE beats her.

Apoleb
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:41 AM
4. Put a dress and a blonde wig on Federer and sneak him onto the court in her place
7. Actually serve well

:haha: :yeah:

delicatecutter
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:42 AM
Elena has had the better year and has come up with big wins in Majors before. I don't think Venus is playing as well here as she did last year, so I think Lena has a good chance as long as she is on her game. Go Lena Go!! :worship:

OsloErik
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:43 AM
Well, Dementieva hits as hard as pretty much anyone, and as flat as pretty much anyone, plus she moves well. Sharapova made Venus play lights out stuff in the '05 semifinal without even decent movement. If Dementieva is serving solidly, she can make a match of it. She's also got very little to lost; Venus is the overwhelming favorite. And for whatever reason, Dementieva seems to do well on big stages when she's the underdog. She beat Capriati that way in '04 at the US Open, she beat Davenport and Mauresmo that way in '04 at the French Open, she wrecked Davenport in '05 at the US Open...she's a player that does well when the expectations are completely off. It should be an exciting match.

hingisGOAT
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:47 AM
I think Dementieva's groundstrokes are more consistent and, on her best day, more vicious than Venus'... that being said I think the key for Elena is to do a good job returning serve

Tennisstar86
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:52 AM
They dont call Venus the queen of grass for no reason... Venus plays well.. Dementieva loses.... pretty simple...

Pheobo
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:52 AM
Lena will have to bring her top game, but if she does I think it will at least be close. I think the grass suits Dementieva's groundstrokes well...HOPEFULLY Venus will have an off serving day. That would give Lena what she needs to win.

Danči Dementia
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:57 AM
I think she needs to go to the net more often and keep playing on Venus forehand force her to make mistake
Elena has a shot.....I believe

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:43 AM
Have an EXTREMELY high first serve percentage, stay steady off the ground, challenge Venus' forehand, be courageous, and PRAY that Venus blinks.

If she does those things, she has a real shot. Of course I hope she DOESN'T do those things, but I think she's capable of it.

Wolverines08
Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:55 AM
She better hope she decided to play aggressive against Vee, because that tentative get the ball in the court that she was hitting against Petrova will be sending her home.

geoepee
Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:59 AM
If Elena extends the first set and a half to longer than say an hour, then fitness issues might come into play and hamper Venus' chances. Venus might start spraying that forehand and nerves and health will allow Elena to eek the win :sad:
Elena is known for her three set comebacks and she's in top shape and form,... I hope that Venus closes this out in two quick sets.

Moonlight Shadow
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:36 AM
everybody could see .... elena will lose if venus does well

Serenidad.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:40 AM
Enamored Linesman named Dvorak.

Shinjiro
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:55 AM
she'll have to serve well, keep a high 1st serve % and not too many double faults... and keep believing in her chances.

Huntress55
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Umm she doesnt? :p

Nah, she'll have to just not give up if things dont go her way and keep a high first serve percentage.

Adal
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:03 AM
She can only hope that Venus will be having a bad day :)

Destiny
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:03 AM
She loses!!!

Andy.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:10 AM
She doesnt

Calypso
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:19 AM
How does Elena win this match? High first serve percentage, attack Venus' forehand and hit almost every shot to her FH, and totally attack Venus' second serve.

new-york
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:27 AM
all i know is that Venus better be playing well to win this match.

:scared:

Dementinator
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
I wouldnt be easy to beat a playing well Vee on grass, the sisters have made a home at SW19 and few have upset them, so its all to do for the big golden one, but if Lena plays well she can be pretty devistating herself, she hasnt got to be where she is by being constantly crap ,shes quite capable of playing "lights out tennis" too, and even serving well, but on grass it really is Venuses game.

Lena has to try to serve solidly, use her power and movement and go for it, she HAS got nothing to lose at all.

I expect Venus to win, but never EVER write Lena off, many have made that mistake and got their asses bitten.

vadin124
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:32 AM
it's not as simple as 'if Venus plays well Dementieva loses' as I believe Dementieva is a player, who when playing her very best, is frighteningly good. If Venus plays well, it is possibly for Dementieva to beat her, but she must be at her VERY best. Her serve NEEDS to be working, she must dictate play with her amazing forehand...and she must try to get into the net as much as possible. She must take risks...if she can do all this then I believe Dementieva could very well pull off the upset! However if Venus is at her very best it's unlikely she would lose to anyone on grass

NeeemZ
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:35 AM
Dementieva needs to pressure the forehand because this shot has been completely unpredictable for Venus over the past fortnight. Also, she needs to pounce on every second serve that comes her way because Venus' first serves are deadly.

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
How does Demetieva win this match if Venus plays well?

I'm sure Elena is asking this very same question herself. :shrug:

VishaalMaria
Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:07 PM
This is the semis of Wimbledon and you better believe that Venus will come out firing, just like she did in 05 when that wasn't the best of years for her either. And, those seven loses [bar the ones to Serena] happened before the semis of WImbledon so that, with the fact that Venus is 6-0 in Wimbledon semis, suggests that Elena will have a real uphill battle. Also, this is new territoty for Elena so she must have some nerves. Whereas for Venus, this is same old, a surface she is comfortable on.

Venus won't underestimate Elena because Venus is wise enough to know that she has to bring her A game for any semi-final opponent. Elena may do better than some of the posters think she will, but Venus would have to literally choke for Elena to have any chance. No offence, but no matter how good people think Elenas groundstrokes are, Venus will track them down and with interest.

As for Elena trying to break down Venus' forehand, well like I said, Venus will come out firing and she won't give Elena many errors. The Venus at Wimbledon is a totally different Venus, and when Venus usually does make it this far at Wimbledon, her game is clicking and that includes her forehand.

Basically, for Elena to have any chance Venus will have to choke.

I predict a 6-4 6-1 scoreline.

No Name Face
Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
7. Actually serve well

:rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :sobbing: :lol:

Marionated
Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:48 PM
This is the semis of Wimbledon and you better believe that Venus will come out firing, just like she did in 05 when that wasn't the best of years for her either. And, those seven loses happened before the semis of WImbledon so that, with [B]the fact that Venus is 6-0 in Wimbledon semis, suggests that Elena will have a real uphill battle. Also, this is new territoty for Elena so she must have some nerves. Whereas for Venus, this is same old, a surface she is comfortable on.

Venus won't underestimate Elena because Venus is wise enough to know that she has to bring her A game for any semi-final opponent. Elena may do better than some of the posters think she will, but Venus would have to literally choke for Elena to have any chance. No offence, but no matter how good people think Elenas groundstrokes are, Venus will track them down and with interest.

As for Elena trying to break down Venus' forehand, well like I said, Venus will come out firing and she won't give Elena many errors. The Venus at Wimbledon is a totally different Venus, and when Venus usually does make it this far at Wimbledon, her game is clicking and that includes her forehand.

Basically, for Elena to have any chance Venus will have to choke.

I predict a 6-4 6-1 scoreline.

Didn't she lose to Graf in a semi?

Matt01
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
Didn't she lose to Graf in a semi?

Quarterfinal.

Kworb
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:20 PM
Come on RAIN!!! I am at work and I want to watch Elena's death LIVE! :sad:

I think even if Venus has an off day it will be very difficult for Elena to win. :o

tequila
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:32 PM
Venus slips and gets injured. :shrug:

eck
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:49 PM
With the way Elena is playing, she should be so lucky she has won 1 game so far. :o

frenchie
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:49 PM
Well Venus is playing well and look : it's already 6/1!!!!

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Elena :tape:

You call that a match?

moby
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Venus playing well + Elena playing rubbish + grass = near bagel

cheo23
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
I am Watching this match right now and let me tell you that Elena is just HOPELESS against Venus and SErena :o

DragonFlame
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
there's no way elena is winning this, She was dried of in that first set. Venus is serving too well right now, elena is making A LOT of UE, and didn't take her 4 bp chances. That results in a bad spanking. She'll lose 6-1 6-3 i think,if not worse...

eck
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:57 PM
Journalists are going to take this match to town :rolls:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Lucky netcord by Elena... is the tide going to change to her favour?

bad_angel_109
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:31 PM
Imo I don't think Elena can win this match, I'm watching it right now and Venus is playing pretty well. Good net coverage and her serve is great. Tho I do believe if Elena wins this 2nd set, pushes for a 3rd, it'll be a tough last set.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:05 PM
I don´t think Venus is one of the nightmares of Elena :shrug:

Sharapova , Jankovic and Safina are the current nightamres

Myskina , Capriati , Henin and Clijsters were in the past

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:34 PM
She wont...and she didnt! :worship:

DA FOREHAND
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:39 PM
she doesn't

the clue is somewhere in this box...:wavey:

bad_angel_109
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
the clue is somewhere in this box...:wavey::confused:

DA FOREHAND
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:43 PM
Playing well for Venus still includes enough unforced errors to keep Dementieva alive as long as Elena can force enough action with her forehand and pass Venus *enough* at net.

Still wouldn't be sure of Elena pulling out a win if Venus is consistently playing well tho.

Waht the hell are you talking about? Venus playing well does not mean "enough unforced errors" to keep her opponents close. Venus played well in the first set. And we all know that wasn't close.:eek:

hankqq
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:48 PM
I donīt think Venus is one of the nightmares of Elena :shrug:

Sharapova , Jankovic and Safina are the current nightamres

Myskina , Capriati , Henin and Clijsters were in the past

Actually I think Venus is a nightmare opponent for her. Their head to head is now 6-2 Venus.

If Venus plays well, Dementieva is going to lose IMO.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Actually I think Venus is a nightmare opponent for her. Their head to head is now 6-2 Venus.

If Venus plays well, Dementieva is going to lose IMO.

Nope

Venus is too erratic in most of her matches outside the grass , while the other players (except Safina) mentioned don´t make too much errors , they are too solid and Elena can not deal with it

I'd say Radwanska will be another nightmare for Elena . Those non- erratic players are the worst match-ups of Elena

hankqq
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
Nope

Venus is too erratic in most of her matches outside the grass , while the other players (except Safina) mentioned donīt make too much errors , they are too solid and Elena can not deal with it

I'd say Radwanska will be another nightmare for Elena . Those non- erratic players are the worst match-ups of Elena

Venus is erratic, but she's beaten Dementieva on clay and hardcourt too. I think the big difference is that Venus serves and returns well, while Dementieva returns well. Dementieva's flat hard shots allow Venus to get into a rhythm during rallies. All but 1 of Venus' wins have been in straight sets, while Dementieva has needed 3 sets in both of wins. I don't think the h2h can be overlooked in this case.

I agree about Radwanska being a tough opponent for Elena though.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
Venus is erratic, but she's beaten Dementieva on clay and hardcourt too. I think the big difference is that Venus serves and returns well, while Dementieva returns well. Dementieva's flat hard shots allow Venus to get into a rhythm during rallies. All but 1 of Venus' wins have been in straight sets, while Dementieva has needed 3 sets in both of wins. I don't think the h2h can be overlooked in this case.

I agree about Radwanska being a tough opponent for Elena though.

My point is , with Elena being a wall , Venus can lose herself . Itīs pretty probable

Against the other rivals , Elena must play perfect tennis to win
Imagine that arguably the best match of Elena in her career was against Clijsters in Filderstad 2005 and she still lost a set :help:

mdterp01
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:18 PM
the clue is somewhere in this box...:wavey:

:lol: :haha: :worship:

DA FOREHAND
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:20 PM
My point is , with Elena being a wall , Venus can lose herself . Itīs pretty probable

Against the other rivals , Elena must play perfect tennis to win
Imagine that arguably the best match of Elena in her career was against Clijsters in Filderstad 2005 and she still lost a set :help:

If you call 2 out of 6 probable...ok...:rolleyes: sounds more like possible to me.:tape::wavey:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:30 PM
If you call 2 out of 6 probable...ok...:rolleyes: sounds more like possible to me.:tape::wavey:

Better than 2 of 10 vs Pova , 1 of them when Pova was a nobody
2 of 13 vs Henin , 3 of 15 vs Clijsters , losing 62-61 3 times in a row against Jankovic , 1 of 4 vs Capriati . Myskina totally owned Elena while she was a serious player

The 2 wins vs Venus were in USA on Hard

DA FOREHAND
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:32 PM
Better than 2 of 10 vs Pova , 1 of them when Pova was a nobody
2 of 13 vs Henin , 3 of 15 vs Clijsters , losing 62-61 3 times in a row against Jankovic , 1 of 4 vs Capriati . Myskina totally owned Elena while she was a serious player

ok you got me 1-4 is worse than 2-6...:rolleyes:

vwfan
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:12 PM
If Venus plays well, Dementieva will be owned.
But Venus hasnt played well in 2008. At any point prior to Wimbledon in 2008, Elena would have dismissed Venus. Venus has been cushioned in this draw and she hasnt had to face any serious test until now. I hope shes healthy and prepared, otherwise Elena will shellshock her.I guess you don't have to worry yourself any further about that now. :rolleyes:

LudwigDvorak
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:55 PM
Waht the hell are you talking about? Venus playing well does not mean "enough unforced errors" to keep her opponents close. Venus played well in the first set. And we all know that wasn't close.:eek:

I said Venus' unforced errors coupled with Elena's forehand and passing shots would be enough to keep it close. That was the case in the second set. I even said it might not be enough. It wasn't. Where was I wrong? Venus and Elena played well in both sets, but Venus was superb in the first. That was the only difference.

OP said Venus playing normal level well, not insanely good, don't forget that. Venus was insanely good for nine games.