PDA

View Full Version : Henin doesn’t rule out comeback

tennisIlove09
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:09 AM
Henin doesn’t rule out comeback

11 hours, 11 minutes ago

Buzz Up
Print (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=Ak609S.DP2fJmgtoiW51DJ4gv7YF?slug=ap-henin&prov=ap&type=lgns&print=1)

WIMBLEDON, England (AP)—Less than two months after her sudden retirement, Justine Henin (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/4218/;_ylt=ArHIlfFPTYEVT4uq4v0cqlggv7YF) isn’t completely ruling out a return to tennis.
“I can never say for sure that I’ll never be back because I hate to say never,” Henin said. “But for me, and the people who know me, they know that when I do something, I do it 200 percent—and when I decide it’s over, it’s over and I go to the next step.”
The 26-year-old Belgian announced her retirement 10 days before the start of the French Open in May, saying she had lost her hunger for the game after a nine-year career that included seven Grand Slam titles.
“Being a professional athlete is quite difficult and you make a lot of sacrifices,” Henin said on laureus.com, the Web site of the Laureus World Sports Academy. “You need to eat tennis, sleep tennis and live tennis and give 300 percent all the time. I’ve been doing that for 20 years.

“You know one day it’s going to be over and I always said that it would never be an injury that pushed me to stop and that it was going to be my choice. I had the freedom to get my choice.”
Wimbledon was the only Grand Slam that Henin never managed to win.
“It has been the biggest disappointment of my career,” said Henin, who is establishing a tennis academy in Belgium. “It has a great tradition, I love it but my game wasn’t quite good enough and I probably wasn’t confident enough to win on grass.”
She predicts defending champion and four-time winner Venus Williams (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/87/;_ylt=AjNo3Zt3tC6EuXdG6cp_Z1sgv7YF) will win again.
“I keep thinking that Venus is the best player on grass,” she said. “She’s so big and tall, so, for me, she’s the favorite.”

VeeJJ
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:27 AM
she isn't coming back!! she wouldn't turn on herself and retire just to comeback.

Danči Dementia
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:57 AM
:yawn:
oh don´t come back please.......

danieln1
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:59 AM
Another boring thread about the boring player... close this

renstar
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:00 AM
Oh god please come back I didnt think id miss her but if all I get to see is Williams sisters Grand slam finals I think ill slit my wrists. Watching her beat both of them in grand slams was fun!

Optima
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:14 AM

Bitter about Lindsay's losing record against Justine?

Come back Justine!

ASP0315
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:19 AM
I hope henin does make a comeback.

Pasta-Na
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:25 AM
yes, i heard it from the news too. i think she will come back in one or two years :)

Mchstnate
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:30 AM
It seemed she had made up her mind. I don't think she will come back, but it would be nice to see

AlmostCrimes
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:41 AM
I remember in her bio she said she didn't want to be a 'hanger-on' in the tennis world, I doubt she would come back unless she thought she could be at the very top of the game again (ie. top three). You can be sure if she does come back, she'll be practicing like crazy.

DimaDinosaur
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:44 AM

please show some respect towards her as she is 100000000000 x better than you, ok? :rolleyes:

Petersmiler
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:21 AM

Another boring post from a boring poster.... ignore this

Mikey.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:22 AM
:eek: I'd like her to, but I don't think it's happening :shrug:

bad_angel_109
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:28 AM
It was a shame she didn't give Roland Garros & Wimby & the US Open another go. Plus she's gonna miss out on the Olympics. :sad:

But she's achieved so much in her tennis career. Such a champion.

up!
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:57 AM
good news

skanky~skanketta
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:10 AM
:yawn:
oh don´t come back please.......
of course not, cuz your faves would get fucked if they draw her.

brayster87
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:22 AM
I agree, it is the 3452534 thread about Henin....Get over it, she is retired! God!

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:34 AM
Even though I'm not a fan and even though she is part of the reason Serena doesn't have like 11 or 12 grandslams, I wouldn't mind seeing her return to the game. Although she wasn't a superstar she brought a lot to the game and was impotant to women's tennis.

skanky~skanketta
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:43 AM
I agree, it is the 3452534 thread about Henin....Get over it, she is retired! God!
Yeah, and when Lindsay retired, there were 0 threads. :rolleyes:

brayster87
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:46 AM
Yeah, and when Lindsay retired, there were 0 threads. :rolleyes:

What's your point? She has never been retired, I don't know where you have been in the last few years :tape::help:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:47 AM
Justine.... I hope that you don't change your mind and come back to tennis.... even if I miss you and want to see you play again. Case in point - Martina Hingis.

Enjoy your life now... do something you always wanted to do, go places you never taught of going before, and live your life to the fullest. Even if you are not playing tennis anymore, you're still the #1 player in my heart... always. :sad:

Dawn Marie
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:52 AM
Henin states the obvious. U can NEVER say never but it looks like she will never play pro tennis again. She did so much in tennis and dedicated her life to the sport. Now she wants to move on to other interest. I think she doesn't feel like go thru the rehab the contant upping the level to compete. Imho She's smart. Sure from my end I woud love to see her play the game again. Yet from a true human standpoint, go on and do what you want to really do in your life. Travel to Doha and Dubai. Paris yet she'll get to stop and smell the roses and relish life without having to give up 200%. Im's so sure it gets so tiresome. It really isn't all glamourous.
Enjoy life, Justine. You never know what tomorrow brings, Im so sure that if she died tomorrow that she would regret living and breathing everything tennis.
This will continue to be a trend in the WTA Tour imho.

StephenUK
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:03 AM
After what has happened at Roland Garros and Wimbledon, I bet her phone has been red hot with desperate pleas for her return. Tennis is just not the same without such a great champion. It was just embarrassing watching the build-up for today's semi-finals at Wimbledon today on BBC last night, barely a word on Dementieva and Zheng as it is seen as a foregone conclusion that the Williams will get to the final. What a monumental bore!

It just looked so wrong when Justine handed the trophy to Ana Ivanovic at Roland Garros after quite a mediocre final - I think Justine should have just kept it for herself.

The Roland Garros build up was so weird. As the press really did not have a clue who would win without Justine, they focussed on Sharapova and Serena, without a tournament win on red clay between them in 6 years, and were promptly embarrassed. At Wimbledon, the top 4 wilted under the pressure - the shock retirement is still having its ripple effects.

I would love Henin, Mauresmo and Clijsters all to be at the top of the game but I don't want to live in the past.

The key thing is that the WTA needs to do more to stop its top players retiring so young to avoid uncomfortable periods like this. All it needs is for the Williams sisters and/or Sharapova to retire as well and the game would be in deep crisis.

Dawn Marie
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:08 AM
I disagree. The problem is the WTA Tour has a shit load of talented young players, but the WTA Tour only promotes a certain type of player. Maria blonde and V@S because they are black women.
The WTA Tour needs to promote many more women on the tour. And I mean Promote. So if, Venus and Serena and Maria left right now, to many people in the world it would seem like their is no tour but in reality their are many women with many wonderful stories that can be told.