PDA

View Full Version : Grass courts throughout the world

Corswandt
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:50 PM
Grasscourt season is nearly over, but I think there's still time for a grass-themed thread.

I ask TF users to list places in their respective countries where they know there are properly kept grasscourts.

This will help me understand why, for instance, so many French or Czech players have turned out to be fine grasscourters when, at least in recent years, no grasscourt tournaments have taken place in their countries.

I start.

Portugal - zilch. There used to be a grasscourt in the Ajuda palace parks. Back in 1908.

frenchie
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:54 PM
there is 1 grass tennis court at the british ambassy in France!

Of course there are many synthetic grass court all over the country

OZTENNIS
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:00 PM
Australia - Kooyong, Mildura, Albury, Berri, Renmark, Benella, Yarrawonga, Warnambool and I think Wodonga are some of the places that I know of with real grass courts. The major centres are Kooyong (former home of the Australian Open), Mildura (hosted Davis Cup in the past and a 25k this year) and Albury (12s, 14s 16s Nationals often played here)...
There are many other grasscourt venues around the country (ie WA) but most of the grasscourt activity is focussed in the SE Corner of the country

Corswandt
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:01 PM
Of course there are many synthetic grass court all over the country

Can you even play tennis in that shit? Even if it's only 10% as bad as synthetic grass football pitches.

Corswandt
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
Yarrawonga, Warnambool and I think Wodonga

Please tell me you're not making these placenames up.

frenchie
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:04 PM
Can you even play tennis in that shit? Even if it's only 10% as bad as synthetic grass football pitches.

I hate this shit!:help:

I avoid to play on it with my tournaments schedule

But sometimes I'm forced to play on it (team competition)
But I suck badly and my attitude is like Lindsay's on clay:tape:

OZTENNIS
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:04 PM
Nooooo...
They are indigenous Australian place names

Corswandt
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:06 PM
Nooooo...
They are indigenous Australian place names

Fuckin' A. Almost beat those Brazilian place names like Pindamonhangaba or Itamaranga do Iparacatu (BTW I only made one of these up).

tenn_ace
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:08 PM
USA -Newport. Stadium court is in ok shape, the rest - pretty bad.

gaviotabr
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
Fuckin' A. Almost beat those Brazilian place names like Pindamonhangaba or Itamaranga do Iparacatu (BTW I only made one of these up).

hahaha being a brazilian you actually made me laugh a lot! Have to say that you actually didn't make up any.. as there is a city called Paracatu, another called Itamaranga and yet another called Pindamonhangaba... haha

By the way, in Brasil there used to be a couple of grass courts in tennis centers in São Paulo and in a hotel in Rio de Janeiro. But not anymore.

frenchie
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:13 PM
Those City names are nothing compared to what you can find in Madagascar!

supergrunt
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:14 PM
I wish the grass court season was longer.

watchdogfish
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:15 PM
Hmm take your pick....:p

UK grass courts (http://www2.lta.org.uk/LtaOnlineV26/templates/hidden/loadusercontrol.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID=%7B02B878F8-EFE9-4465-A596-8B2DE15D5981%7D&NRORIGINALURL=%2fSearch%2fFindAClub%2f&NRCACHEHINT=Guest)

Just choose grass courts from the drop down menu and it lists 261 clubs! :lol:

But by properly maintained do you mean the courts are championship standard? If so of course in the UK we have Birmingham, Liverpool, Eastbourne, Queens and a tiny, little tournament called Wimbledon :p

Corswandt
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:15 PM
hahaha being a brazilian you actually made me laugh a lot! Have to say that you actually didn't make up any.. as there is a city called Paracatu, another called Itamaranga and yet another called Pindamonhangaba... haha

Pindamonhangaba até é uma grande cidade.

Corswandt
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:16 PM
Those City names are nothing compared to what you can find in Madagascar!

Madagascar had a king named Adriananpoinimerina. Roxx0rz.

Corswandt
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:21 PM
But by properly maintained do you mean the courts are championship standard?

No, I meant any court that doesn't look like a bunch of potato furrows.

gaviotabr
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Pindamonhangaba até é uma grande cidade.

Verdade. E deve ter lá suas quadras de tênis, mas com certeza nenhuma de grama.

ce
Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:10 AM
Serbia has only about 10 hard courts what do you think how many grass courts do we have :o

kittyking
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:33 AM
Theres some Grass Courts at the Hagley Tennis Club in Christchurch, NZ - infact we host the NZ Grass Court Champs every year :)

Expat
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:36 AM
I remember reading last year when Bartoli had a dream run that 15% French courts are grass courts and they have the most ITF grass events
IS that true ?

The Kaz
Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:07 AM
My hometown in Victoria, Australia has lots of clay courts, but as far as I know no grass courts :lol: :tape:

Corswandt
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:42 PM
I remember reading last year when Bartoli had a dream run that 15% French courts are grass courts and they have the most ITF grass events
IS that true ?

There haven't been any ITF women's circuit grasscourt events in France, at least in recent years.

You really have to ask where did a player like Mahut develop his game. On fast indoors?

Lunaris
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:43 PM
Here are like two grass courts, one in the garden of castle Bernštejn, another one in Jan Kodeš sport center. Both private.

This is your usual picture of tennis courts in Czechia.

http://www.hamrsport.cz/data/pictures_items/ZB550.png

thesupernova
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:06 AM
my fav grass court (because im from iowa,usa):
http://www.alliowalawntennisclub.com/about.html

starin
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:32 AM
La Jolla, CA tennis club has a couple grass courts. They played a Davis cup match there a couple years ago. I wanted to play there but sadly i'm not a millionaire so was not allowed.

spiritedenergy
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Is there grass in Portugal? I thought grass didn't grow there.