PDA

View Full Version : Nick Bollettieri's Picks: Wimbledon Women's Semifinals

CanIGetAWhat
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:29 PM
Nick's Picks: Wimbledon Women's Semifinals

By Nick Bollettieri
Wednesday, July 02, 2008

http://www.tennisweek.com/pix/1.gif
http://picsrv.fashionweekdaily.com/?fif=/tennisweek/img_696_175161_3012.jpg&obj=iip,1.0&hei=268&wid=422
Venus Williams is playing her best tennis of the year and will return to the final, says Nick. ©

Tennis Week is partnering with legendary coach and New York native Nick Bollettieri to provide previews and in-depth analysis of Wimbledon. Nick's Picks for the women's semifinal matches are here. Look for Nick's Picks of the most exciting Wimbledon matches on a round-by-round basis in the coming days and please visit his web site Nick's Picks (http://nickstennispicks.com/).

(7) Venus Williams (USA) vs. (5) Elena Dementieva (RUS) (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/playerheadtoheaddetail.asp?PlayerID=230220&x=5&y=9&Player1ID=40289)
It doesnít seem to matter how Venus plays before Wimbledon, because once she steps on the grass her whole outlook changes. Coming into Wimbledon, this had not been her best year, but that doesnít matter now. She is back in the semifinals, and two wins away from capturing her second consecutive title here and her fifth overall.

Dementieva looked primed to reach the semis when she was winning 6-1, 5-1 in her quarterfinal match against Nadia Petrova but she failed to close it out. Petrova then came battling back to win the second set in a tiebreaker. Dementieva stuck it out though, and won the third set 6-3 to advance to her fourth career Grand Slam semifinal.

Match-Up:
While Dementieva may be seeded higher, I donít think you will find anyone that tells you she is the favorite to win this match. Venus is 5-2 against Dementieva, but the two have never faced on grass and they havenít played this year. Everything seems to be clicking for Venus. Her serve, movement, groundstrokes and just about every other facet of her game have been excellent. Against Dementieva she must move well and win some free points with her serve. Dementieva, who hits the ball very flat and early, will try to attack Venusí forehand (which can break down) and force her to commit some errors. Simply put, Dementieva cannot melt down like she did against Petrova because Venus will make her pay. If she has any break chances she has to capitalize, because you know Venus will look to attack her serve. This match is on Venusí racket, and as long as she plays her game and keeps the unforced errors to a minimum she should win.

Nickís Pick ó Venus Williams in 3 sets

(6) Serena Williams (USA) vs. Jie Zheng (CHN) (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/playerheadtoheaddetail.asp?PlayerID=)
Serena was dominant against Radwanska in the quarterfinals, beating her 6-4, 6-0. This was a match many people thought would be closer, but it just goes to show you how good Serena can be when she is completely focused. She had only six unforced errors and got over 70 percent of her first serves in. When she plays like this, there is no one better.

Zheng continued her magical run with a 6-2, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Nicole Vaidisova in the quarterfinals. With that win, she became the first Chinese woman to advance to the semis of a Grand Slam singles tournament. There is no doubt that this is the best tournament of Zhengís career. Prior to this, she had never been past the fourth round of a Grand Slam and now she is one win away from the finals of Wimbledon! Incredible!!

Match-Up:
Williams is 1-0 against Zheng, with that win coming back in 2004 in the first round at Wimbledon! There will be thousands of boys and girls at the Academies in China rooting on Zheng from afar. Her success couldnít come at a better time because of the Olympic Games being held in Beijing later this summer! She is going to need to play this match like it is for the gold medal, because Serena is not going to go down lightly. Zheng loves to stand on or around the baseline and take the ball early. She is a fighter, and has already proven that she can compete with the best. Serena cannot let Zhengís low ranking fool her, and I donít believe she will. Serenaís relentless powerful groundstrokes, superb movement, and sonic serve give her the edge in this match. She also must stay positive, because Zheng will jump at any chance.

Nickís Pick ó Serena Williams in 2 sets

Warrior
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:32 PM
duh

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:35 PM
that was clever! hahahahahaha

serenus_2k8
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:37 PM
:lol:

Malva
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:40 PM
An excellent analysis in my opinion.

Serena was dominant against Radwanska in the quarterfinals, beating her 6-4, 6-0. This was a match many people thought would be closer, but it just goes to show you how good Serena can be when she is completely focused. She had only six unforced errors and got over 70 percent of her first serves in. When she plays like this, there is no one better.

Exactly my view.

MisterMan
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:10 PM
Bold, daring picks by Nick !!

Apoleb
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:16 PM
Bold, daring picks by Nick !!

What a useless read. Barely anything interesting.

Danči Dementia
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:24 PM

I agree :zzz:

I don´t even know why I read it

Malva
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:29 PM

'Useless' because it is well informed and makes sense (unlike the majority of posts in this forum)?

dansnewbeg
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
the only thing interesting about his picks was thinking Venus will actually lose a set.

tenn_ace
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:48 PM
iffing waste of time

Buitenzorg
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:54 PM
what would happen should ZHENG v DEMENTIEVA in the final?

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:35 AM
99% of the tennis fraternity thinks the same as Nick - it's gonna be a Williams final.

Anyone manage to find an article which is contrary to that?

ys
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:09 AM
I do think he is actually wrong. Venus will NOT win it in three. It's either Venus in straights or it's Elena.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:25 AM
I think Vee will win in 2 while Serena will win in 3.:p

Expat
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:45 AM
I do think he is actually wrong. Venus will NOT win it in three. It's either Venus in straights or it's Elena.
i agree
venus 3 set form has been awful of late
its venus in 2
and the easiest so far

DimaDinosaur
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:59 AM
I think Vee will win in 2 while Serena will win in 3.:p

OMG!!! I hope!!! :lick: I love Zheng Jie and Serena :hearts: I wanna see them battle it out to the extreme!!!

No Name Face
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:02 AM
wow. captain obvious strikes again.

danieln1
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:15 AM
hahahaha one of the easiest picks ever!

In The Zone
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:18 AM
'Useless' because it is well informed and makes sense (unlike the majority of posts in this forum)?

What exactly is your problem? For someone who has such a problem with the WTAW environment, you surely aren't contributing to a better one.

Clearly someone is on the rag.

In The Zone
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:18 AM
Both sisters in straights. If Venus can beat Elena in 2 on clay after a long layoff, I don't see Elena winning a set on grass.

So Disrespectful
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:29 AM
Anyone could have written that.

Kunal
Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:30 AM
that was a easy piok