PDA

View Full Version : Dinara Safina or Jelena Jancovic: Who will win GS first?

spokenword73
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:15 PM
I predict Dinara will win a GS next year before JJ.:D (Pam Shiriver said Dinara Safina inspires her brother and ever since Dinara starting playing so well Marat raised the level of his play too-he won today)

liuxuan
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:17 PM
i really dont know about dinara, but I did think Jelena was going to be a grand slam winner - she'll never get a better chance than this years french open tho - and she blew it!

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:19 PM
Hopefully, Dinara!

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:20 PM
Jankovic is very consistent, but can't raise her level. At every tournament there's someone who's better than her.
She can reach NR 1 but I don't see her winning a slam.
So my pick is Safina. She will have many tournaments when she's off, but there will be another Berlin. If she's lucky it's at a grandslam.

Poova
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Both of them could win the French Open, but probably not.

Seyz
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:26 PM
JJ is the better player, and we have no idea if Dinara was just on a hot streak, but time has proven that Jankovic's game is no fluke; it's a steady, consistent best counter puncher game in female's tennis right now. That won Myskina the grandslam, and dementieva two grandslam finals, and JJ is arguably better than both of them, so I can't see why she can't win a grandslam, plus we know she can beat the top players as long asit's not Ivanovic for some reason.

Dawson.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:48 PM
niether

Njay16
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:20 PM
JJ is the better player, and we have no idea if Dinara was just on a hot streak, but time has proven that Jankovic's game is no fluke; it's a steady, consistent best counter puncher game in female's tennis right now. That won Myskina the grandslam, and dementieva two grandslam finals, and JJ is arguably better than both of them, so I can't see why she can't win a grandslam, plus we know she can beat the top players as long asit's not Ivanovic for some reason.

Dementieva did not reach her two grand slam finals by counterpunching. She was very agressive and dictated play with her groundstrokes, her forehand was on fire in 04. I think Dinara has more weapons but Jelena is the more consistent. However I think if Safina just gets a tad more physically fit and maybe adds a touch more variety to her game, she can come through a draw and win. Jankovic has had handfulls of chances to prove herself. I see her as a Kim Clijsters, with no disrespect to Kim, but I think she will win one and only one towards the end of her career.

Malva
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
Dementieva did not reach her two grand slam finals by counterpunching. She was very agressive and dictated play with her groundstrokes, her forehand was on fire in 04. I think Dinara has more weapons but Jelena is the more consistent. However I think if Safina just gets a tad more physically fit and maybe adds a touch more variety to her game, she can come through a draw and win. Jankovic has had handfulls of chances to prove herself. I see her as a Kim Clijsters, with no disrespect to Kim, but I think she will win one and only one towards the end of her career.

I agree.

It is not clear to me if either will ever win a grand slam but, at the moment, Safina, by far the less consistent of the two, seems to stand a better chance under a good combination of circumstances.

ASP0315
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:45 PM
My vote goes to Safina.
Why?? - Because she is a mentally stronger player than jankovic and she doesn't usually go down without a fight.
Well sharapova and ivanovic got crushed easily this week and altough dinara lost she fought so hard and din't go down without a fight against shahar peer. I think she might do well on hard courts.

Serenita
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
Safina, she's got some weapons, she stronger mentaly en fysicaly.
It's to much drama with JJ. there is alway's something wrong with her.

Optima
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:00 PM
If JJ can totally get healthy and stay healthy, I'd give the edge to her. Her serve showed improvement at Wimbledon.

Uranus
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:03 PM
JJ has a slight chance and DS won't win any, imo.

Pesi
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Jankovic is the better player, and has a much better chance to win a slam than Safina. Maybe not Wimbledon but any of the other 3. She sure got the game to do so, maybe she needs to improve her mental strenght.

Henin was kind of her black shadow in the past, not letting her make it to a couple of Grand slam finals, but now she´s gone.

LucasArg
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:20 PM
I like them both. I believe Jelena will win a GS title before Dinara, but both are gonna win a GS title soon.