PDA

View Full Version : Larry Scott'In Action After Schedule Decision'

Noctis
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:01 PM
WIMBLEDON, England -- WTA chief Larry Scott said on Wednesday he was "disappointed and concerned" with the scheduling of women's matches at Wimbledon and planned to discuss the issue with organizers of the grass-court Grand Slam.

Serena Williams and Serbian No. 2 seed Jelena Jankovic lashed out at organizers on Monday after they, along with defending champion Venus Williams, were shunted off the two main show courts for their fourth-round matches.

While Venus and Serena, who between them have won six titles here, were moved to Court 2, Jankovic was exiled to Court 18, which she described as "almost in the parking lot."

"I do have concerns based on what I have seen about the scheduling and I know some of our players were troubled by it," Scott told Reuters. "But I do plan on meeting with the chairman of Wimbledon in the next couple of days and discussing our concerns."

"I want to understand his point of view and the club's point of view. I think it's important they understand our players' point of view and my point of view."

The scheduling on Monday raised eyebrows because, while the Williams sisters and Jankovic were banished to smaller arenas, the main attractions in the men's draw, five-time champion Roger Federer, two-time runner-up Rafael Nadal and British hope Andy Murray have played all of their 2008 matches on the two main courts.

Although Venus Williams, who is chasing a fifth Wimbledon title, refused to get drawn into the argument, her younger sister Serena did not hold back.

"Initially I thought, OK, is this the right schedule? I thought maybe there was a mistake," the eight-time Grand Slam winner said.

The sisters might have the right to feel aggrieved, because the last time Federer was off the two main show courts at Wimbledon was the 2003 quarterfinals against Dutchman Sjeng Schalken -- and that was before Federer had won his first title.

"I've spoken to Venus, Serena and Jelena Jankovic and they're quite pleased that I'm going to be taking this up directly with the chairman," Scott said.

"I was disappointed and concerned and share the concern of our players. ... I've committed to them that I would take this up this week."

Scott declined to comment when asked if he thought the women were not receiving treatment equal with the top men.

But when it was pointed out that Federer, Nadal and Murray had played all of their matches on the two main courts this year, Scott said: "That speaks for itself."

Wimbledon referee Andrew Jarrett said on Monday that organizing the packed schedule meant not all players could appear on the courts they preferred.

"With 16 matches to play on six show courts, it is inevitable that some leading players will be scheduled away from Centre and Court One," he said.

"This is always the case on the second Monday at Wimbledon and as such provides a great opportunity for spectators."

Ily Scott:kiss: Clearly it was a mistake.

Destiny
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:03 PM
Great Save Larry Great save :rolleyes:

In The Zone
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Okay. So if Monday is so packed, why were the women bounced and not the men? That's the point of the argument ...

V.Williams and Federer are no different. Imagine Nadal and Henin at Roland Garros. Could you see Henin on Court 1? I don't think so ....

This is beating a dead horse, though. Wimbledon is sexist. Always has been. They were the last slam to award equal prize money. Just win your matches, Venus, and win the title -- again. Maybe when Federer loses to Nadal, they'll realize how special women can be, too.

ASP0315
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Larry Scott is a sexist himself. period
This is just another way of getting attention because he is running the tour badly.

Slutiana
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:10 PM
Well it's about time. We've been complaining about this since the Very first day and it's gotten wrse and worse. Next thing you know, they are gonna put the men's doubles finals on Center and Women's finals on no.1 :help:. How they seriously thought this was the right thing to do is beyond me...

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:17 PM
Larry Scott is a sexist himself. period
This is just another way of getting attention because he is running the tour badly.
He can never be good enough for you.
Lets just focus on his course of action now and for me it excellent to back up the Williams and Jankovic.

kiwifan
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
I think its great that he's doing his job, he shouldn't leave JJ hanging out on her own (Williams didn't complain they answered questions) on a valid point of contention. :shrug:

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:25 PM
I think its great that he's doing his job, he shouldn't leave JJ hanging out on her own (Williams didn't complain they answered questions) on a valid point of contention. :shrug:

If I'm number 2 seed and in court 18 at QF- I would complain too.

sammy01
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:27 PM
wimbledon needs to sort out its schedule full stop. i mean only 3 matches on the 2 show courts is crap, why not start at 12 and have 4 matches, this is england were very punctual and would get there before 12. oh well england and its stuck in a rut tradition urghhh!

sdtoot
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:30 PM
Heaven help the WTA Tour if Larry goes knocking.

The Wimby Chairman will probably sit him in a corner on his own for two hours, before allowing him 2 minutes of his precious time. Then he'll send him packing with his tail between his legs and tell him to stop winging, otherwise they will re-consider their decsision to pay equal prize money next year!!

ASP0315
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Heaven help the WTA Tour if Larry goes knocking.

The Wimby Chairman will probably sit him in a corner on his own for two hours, before allowing him 2 minutes of his precious time. Then he'll send him packing with his tail between his legs and tell him to stop winging, otherwise they will re-consider their decsision to pay equal prize money next year!!

exactly 100% agree with you.
Already a lot of some fans, players and media have criticized the decision of equal pay and now they will take advantage of this situation and they might pressurize the organizers cut the slaries into half. :lol:

terjw
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:52 PM

This is good news for Jelena. She can concentrate on herself now - her injury and tennis. And if she's asked again simply say she's said her piece and has nothing further to say.

Right now - it's impossible to have a rational debate on the issues raised without it getting nasty primarily against Jelena basically because it seems she doesn't have a right to raise any issues before or after her match if she loses without being called a sore loser and diva. Let's get straight that Jelena raised these points before and after her match and no way was offering it as an excuse for her defeat.

What will come out of the talks with the organizers? Well I don't know. I hope it isn't nothing. I don't think they'll change the start times to 12 on centre court and court 1.

I certainly think mistakes were made. Even if they say something like "with hindsight .....".They may say there were special circumstances this year ... But I do hope the organizers don't just come out the meeting and dig their heels in and say that they don't think they did anything wrong because it's always like this on this Monday. They have a set of criteria they use to decide who gets on which court. And it really looks like they've not followed their own criteria.

kris719
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:10 PM
oh. my. god. please get over it. :rolleyes:

Kworb
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:29 PM
They should start at noon and schedule four matches on the show courts. Problem solved.

GoDominique
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
Court 18 is a nice court.

*JR*
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:07 PM
What a fucking hypocrite. The same Larry who "didn't lose any sleep" over Justine's retirement :spit: (as it conveniently created a battle for #1 including both Ana and Masha) is now bitching about Wimbledon not giving those "other women" (in his $$$ obsessed view) prime slots once the Glamour Girls were out? :rolleyes:

ce
Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:06 AM
finally something good from Larry
and about federer,he can shut up because i really wanna see when he gets court 2 or 18 sometimes :rolleyes:
Wimbledon :o

Infiniti2001
Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:34 AM
Larry Scott is a bloody pimp who really and truly don't give a fuck about the woman and WTA. Why else would he make a tournament in CHINA mandatory and then state that China would become the TENNIS CAPITAL of the world?

Pasta-Na
Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:36 AM
hairy :rolleyes:

kittyking
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:27 AM
Larry Scott should not be talking about scheduling, we all know what the WTA schedule will look like next year :scared:

Dave.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:35 AM
This is the first thing I've ever been glad to hear about Larry. I hope he gets his view accross but I don't see much changing.

It is understandable that Murray gets Centre. He is Britain's main hope for the title. But Nadal/Federer do not always deserve the stadium courts and should be moved to outside courts. Most of Federer's matches are boring as hell and are straight sets anyway. Nadal isn't much better though you get the occasional drama with him. I'd much rather see some more exciting women's tennis from any of the top players then always see Federer squash someone on the men's side.

PLP
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:51 AM
This is the first thing I've ever been glad to hear about Larry. I hope he gets his view accross but I don't see much changing.

It is understandable that Murray gets Centre. He is Britain's main hope for the title. But Nadal/Federer do not always deserve the stadium courts and should be moved to outside courts. Most of Federer's matches are boring as hell and are straight sets anyway. Nadal isn't much better though you get the occasional drama with him. I'd much rather see some more exciting women's tennis from any of the top players then always see Federer squash someone on the men's side.

Yes, but it is hard to not to be generally irritated at everything he says, that quote about the players being pleased that he is taking up the issue is absurd. That's his job...but yeah, I am happy that he is going to do it.

Court 18 IS a nice court, as someone else pointed out, but Jelena shouldn't have played her match there, as the #2 seed.

Serena and Venus on the other hand, that was a huge slight by the tournament, totally disgraceful. Six singles between them, it's almost unbelievable to me.
Have Nadal or Murray won Wimbledon? Right.

Albireo
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:56 AM
Am I the only one who read the thread title as "Larry Scott Inaction After Schedule Decision"?

/probably

kris719
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:12 AM
Am I the only one who read the thread title as "Larry Scott Inaction After Schedule Decision"?

/probably

:lol:

_____

No, it should not be Federer's or Nadal's birthright to be on centre court every time...but it shouldn't be Venus' or Serena's either. Let's face it, Venus and Serena were both playing unseeded players who they should (and did) beat routinely. Federer was playing 20 seed Hewitt, who was the last champion not named Roger Federer at WImbledon. Nadal was playing 17 seed Youzhny, who had just come off a 5-set win over Stepanek. And then there's the whole "This is the year nadal takes down Fed" stuff that adds to the drama. On the other hand, Venus and Serena had played pretty much nobody in the tournament at that time. The only seeded player that either one played was Serena against Mauresmo (which was by the way played on none other than Centre Court). Plus there's the crowd factor. There's no denying that the stands are fuller when Fed and Nadal play than even when the top women play. I don't like it either, I think the crowd is making the wrong decisions on what matches they watch, but there's no getting around that.

Dawn Marie
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:00 AM
Larry Scott is nerve wrecking, but I like his stand on this. He is making this public and I hope something good comes from it.

Jelena on court 18 was pathetic and Venus and Serena on court 2 was a disgrace. Hell seeding Venus 7 was mentally challenged.

WTF should I really expect?? England owns Wimbledon and they can't even produce any tennis players. LMAO.

only_one_maria
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:56 AM
I think we need some common sense here. Firstly Pete Sampras was was out on court 2 in 2002. Neither Venus or Serena success in the women's game is comparable to his in the men's. Yes, Serena was the dominant player around 2002-03, but she won only 2 wimbledon singles titles, the last 5 years ago. They do seem to have a preference for current rankings (see treatment of Sampras) and the Williams' isn't that great.

Kuznetsova was on a main court against Radwanska, okay she's only ranked 4th, but they probably thought that would be a closer match than the others. I can't remember if there were any other women's matches on the show court on monday, but clearly Federer and Nadal have to be on the show courts. Murray is a bit different, but there it's a nationality issue not a gender one. Still if that is 3 matches, there is room for another 3. What were they?