court70
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/wimbledon08/news/story?id=3470363

supergrunt
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
Finally he's making a right move.

A'DAM
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
Maybe If we would have another WTA boss things would be different!!!

Larry Scott is guilty of all the bad things that happend to WTA :lol: :haha: ;)

cheo23
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
I have ALREADY said over and over again that Wimbledon Organizers are sexist and retarded :weirdo: It's unfair for Lindsay, Serena and venus.

danieln1
Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:00 PM
I have ALREADY said over and over again that Wimbledon Organizers are sexist and retarded :weirdo: It's unfair for Lindsay, Serena and venus.

Agreed court 2 for Lindsay is unbearable... Also putting Venus and Serena on court 2 is just ridiculous

alwayshingis
Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
"With 16 matches to play on six show courts, it is inevitable that some leading players will be scheduled away from Centre and Court One," he said.

"This is always the case on the second Monday at Wimbledon and as such provides a great opportunity for spectators."

--Any explanation as to why all of those leading players were women? No? I thought so.

DA FOREHAND
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
The explanation they gave made sense. they had to get in Venus Serena and their doubles match and needed an early start so they put them on two .

DutchieGirl
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:53 PM
Why can't the put Roger on court 2 for once? :lol:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
Why can't the put Roger on court 2 for once? :lol:

they will when he's 32

A_S
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
"With 16 matches to play on six show courts, it is inevitable that some leading players will be scheduled away from Centre and Court One," he said.

"This is always the case on the second Monday at Wimbledon and as such provides a great opportunity for spectators."

--Any explanation as to why all of those leading players were women? No? I thought so.

maybe its because more people are interested in the mens game? it is concidered closer, better quality and more entertaining. Those are things that really shouldnt be up for debate, and if you go by that logic, the people who pay the most money should get to see the best matches, hence why the mens matches were put on those courts

Dawson.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
omg this again?! ok im going to go on another rant now!

1) wimbledon has always done this on the second monday, so why this has become a big deal all of a sudden? ill tell you why, its because of divas like jelena jankovic who really need to get over themselves and get on with it.
2) the wimbledon crowd would rather see mens matches then womens matches. however you may feel about this, its a fact, and you cannot change it , so just accept it
3) its not just about 1 player!!! in case you havent noticed, it takes two players to make a match. venus, serna & jelena's opponents in the 4th round were virtual unknowns in the uk. whereas the 4 female players who played on CC & Court 1 were all seeded and established.
4) the matches on CC & Court 1 were both tight 3 setters - therefore worthy of the big showcourts
5) jankovic has not won a grand slam and has yet to impress at wimbledon, she is way out of her depth. she said she needs a helicopter to get to court 18. thats funny seeing as though court 18 is actually closer to the players dressing room than court 2, which is where she is used to playing! and to say that its like playing in a parking lot is retarted. anyone who has seen court 18 can see that its a nice court and can get a good atmosphere if theres a good match. plus there are players who have had more success than jankovic who have played on that court and didnt complain at all! jankovic has done no favours for herself her in uk, and will probably be put on court 3 for all her matches next year.
6) this gives the fans who cannot afford tickets for CC & Court 1 to watch the playesr close up. Some players obviously do not appreciate this aspect
7) they are tennis players. their main aim is to win matches. why does it matter which court they play on. There was a time when they were nobodies in the game and played on the outside courts all the time so they should be used to it. Playing on CC & Court 1 is a bonus. they should deal with it and get over themselves

rant over

Malva
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:52 PM
Much ado about nothing, in my opinion.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Jankovic will be lucky to get even C18 next yr :tape:

iPatty
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:55 PM

3) its not just about 1 player!!! in case you havent noticed, it takes two players to make a match. venus, serna & jelena's opponents in the 4th round were virtual unknowns in the uk. whereas the 4 female players who played on CC & Court 1 were all seeded and established.
6) this gives the fans who cannot afford tickets for CC & Court 1 to watch the playesr close up. Some players obviously do not appreciate this aspect
7) they are tennis players. their main aim is to win matches. why does it matter which court they play on. There was a time when they were nobodies in the game and played on the outside courts all the time so they should be used to it. Playing on CC & Court 1 is a bonus. they should deal with it and get over themselves

rant over

These are great points.

slamchamp
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:59 PM

1) wimbledon has always done this on the second monday, so why this has become a big deal all of a sudden? ill tell you why, its because of divas like jelena jankovic who really need to get over themselves and get on with it.
2) the wimbledon crowd would rather see mens matches then womens matches. however you may feel about this, its a fact, and you cannot change it , so just accept it
4) the matches on CC & Court 1 were both tight 3 setters - therefore worthy of the big showcourts
5) jankovic has not won a grand slam and has yet to impress at wimbledon, she is way out of her depth. she said she needs a helicopter to get to court 18. thats funny seeing as though court 18 is actually closer to the players dressing room than court 2, which is where she is used to playing! and to say that its like playing in a parking lot is retarted. anyone who has seen court 18 can see that its a nice court and can get a good atmosphere if theres a good match. plus there are players who have had more success than jankovic who have played on that court and didnt complain at all! jankovic has done no favours for herself her in uk, and will probably be put on court 3 for all her matches next year.

rant overno they shouldn't, idiot

RVD
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:14 PM
no they shouldn't, idiot
:lol:
Yeah, I agree with you.
I mean honestly, no matter how you look at it, the scheduling is purely sexist.
Saying that "...they've always done it this way..." is the problem :lol: and is actually admitting that this sexist practice is till apart of the equation at Wimbledon. :shrug:
Can you imagine using that as an argument for the equal pay issue?! :haha:
This is one of those cases where the evidence speaks for itself. ;)

mykarma
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/wimbledon08/news/story?id=3470363
Wonder if Roger will tell Scott to suck it up?

Malva
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
Jankovic will be lucky to get even C18 next yr :tape:

Have you ever anything positive to say, BoiledEgg (unless it concerns one of the Russian players)?

Malva
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:44 PM
Saying that "...they've always done it this way..." is the problem :lol: and is actually admitting that this sexist practice is till apart of the equation at Wimbledon.

This cheap argument again? It is always brought in where there are no better arguments. Works by pure intimidation. It's akin to accusing somebody of being 'an enemy of the people' in Soviet Union of Stalin's era.

darrinbaker00
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:51 PM
Yeah, I agree with you.
Saying that "...they've always done it this way..." is the problem :lol: and is actually admitting that this sexist practice is till apart of the equation at Wimbledon. :shrug:
Personally, my friend, I think people are making too much out of this. Venus and Serena are playing on Centre Court in the semis tomorrow, they'll be playing each other on Centre Court in the final Saturday, and they'll be playing on Centre Court for the doubles title Sunday.

Dawson.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:54 PM
no they shouldn't, idiot

so you are saying they should not deal with it? are you saying that jankovic should dwell on the fact that she was put on court 18 for the rest of her life and never get over it? is this what your saying??? :confused:

explain yourself..... idiot!

Dawson.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I agree with you.

the scheduling is based on what the tennis audience want. the majority want to see mens matches more than womens, FACT!

RVD
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
Personally, my friend, I think people are making too much out of this. Venus and Serena are playing on Centre Court in the semis tomorrow, they'll be playing each other on Centre Court in the final Saturday, and they'll be playing on Centre Court for the doubles title Sunday.Oh I certainly agree. :D
In the grand scheme of the overall tournament, the court [regardless of where situated] should not matter.
It seems to boil down to a question of respect and fairness.

DeliriousPotato
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:04 PM

rant over

Brava, very well put.
Believe me, I am a human rights activist and I have experienced the way that people abuse them.
Other generations of women fought their whole life for their rights, and this generation now, which is born with them, is abusing them and surpassing equality.
This goes for everyone! It is so beautiful that everyone finally achieves equality. But why must we cross the borders?! Everyone acuses everyone of racism and discrimination when they are really just overreacting. I mean, for example, I have an African-American friend who is always calling everyone a racist when somebody insults him. Thats proposterous! In my school everyone insults everyone, its not because he has a different skin color that someone insulted him! And I best remind you, did you know that there is such a thing as a Black Awards? I find that way out of league. Nobody says anything about these awards, but if someone were to organize a White Awards ceremony then I am sure it would be a scandal. Lol, all of this text only to say that I agree with dawson and to say that I think that the players overreacted...

RVD
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:08 PM
the scheduling is based on what the tennis audience want. the majority want to see mens matches more than womens, FACT!Viewing audiences [viewership] don't always support your assertions. FACT!
Majority of the money made is through ads and TV marketing. FACT!
Sometimes the men are pulling in the revenue, and sometimes the women.

FACT is, you always have more people watching or viewing than you do physically occupying a stadium chair.
Common sense should tell you that. :shrug:

NeeemZ
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:16 PM
I think that if Serena was up against Bartoli instead of Mattek, this would not be a major issue at all.

darrinbaker00
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:26 PM
Oh I certainly agree. :D
In the grand scheme of the overall tournament, the court [regardless of where situated] should not matter.
It seems to boil down to a question of respect and fairness.
Like I said in an earlier thread, Venus was the one who shamed the All-England Club into giving equal prize money, so I don't see them doing her or Serena (guilt by association) any scheduling favors unless they absolutely, positively have to.

RVD
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:37 PM
Like I said in an earlier thread, Venus was the one who shamed the All-England Club into giving equal prize money, so I don't see them doing her or Serena (guilt by association) any scheduling favors unless they absolutely, positively have to.:lol: Hadn't considered that.
My girls are lucky Wimbledon is allowing them to play there at all. :lol:
J/K... :p

Sharapower
Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:10 AM
The solution is pretty simple: suppress the nonsensical Sunday break and the schedules will be more suitable for everyone...

renstar
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:05 AM
Well you have all missed the most important point which Fred Stolle mentioned on the Australia commentary for Nine. Because there has been so many lower ranked players making the quarters a lot of these girls could end up getting to semi finals and not having played once on the centre court or court 1. For this reason they gave players such as Radwanska etc a match on centre or court 1 over the Williams to make sure they had had experience there. To me that is very fair.

DutchieGirl
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:05 AM
maybe its because more people are interested in the mens game? it is concidered closer, better quality and more entertaining. Those are things that really shouldnt be up for debate, and if you go by that logic, the people who pay the most money should get to see the best matches, hence why the mens matches were put on those courts

Yeah Feds-Ancic and Nadal-Murray seem really close judging by the scorelines. ;)

StephenUK
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
The fact is that all through the Championships, there have been two men's matches and one woman's on the show courts.

That would only have changed had the last 16 women's matches been more enticing, eg Williams v Hingis or Davenport or Mauresmo, but let's face it, they weren't. Usually the women's tournament gets a better share of this day because more of their marquee names survive the first week, but this time, this did not happen, due to retirements and losses and none of their last 16 matches held any interest compared to Federer v Hewitt or Murray v Gasquet. Jankovic and Serena had played their previous rounds on Centre, so why shouldn't they get hoofed out for one round when they are playing players outside the top 50?

The club were right to prefer Vaidisova v Chakvetadze and Kuznetsova v Radwanska because they looked, and were, better contests. At the end of the day, the club wants bums on seats and I don't think the Jankovic or Serena Williams matches would have provided them.

I'm sure Jankovic would not have complained about the court, had she won!

Dawson.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:27 PM
Viewing audiences [viewership] don't always support your assertions.FACT!
Majority of the money made is through ads and TV marketing. FACT!
Sometimes the men are pulling in the revenue, and sometimes the women.

FACT is, you always have more people watching or viewing than you do physically occupying a stadium chair.
Common sense should tell you that. :shrug:

look at the viewing figures for last years mens final then compare them to the womens.

tequila
Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:42 PM
Men's tennis is and has always been the main event. Women's 'tennis' is just the break between men's matches. Women's 'tennis' really shouldn't be allowed on Centre Court until the 2nd week. They should be thankful they're even allowed there before the semifinals.