PDA

View Full Version : Elena Dementieva, a "REAL" Wimbledon Lady

Willam
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
From: http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2008-07-02/200807021215000809357.html

She won a silver medal in singles at the Sydney Olympics, was a protagonist in the first all-Russian Grand Slam final at Roland Garros in 2004, also finished runner-up at the US Open that year, and has been in or around the top 10 for most of the decade. But you won’t find first-time Wimbledon semi-finalist Elena Dementieva making diva demands about court allocations or the lack of umbrellas courtside on sunny days.
The hard-working 26-year-old, one of the quiet achievers of the women’s tennis circuit, is more likely to comment on how unexpectedly wonderful the weather has been during these Championships – and is mature enough to appreciate just how fortunate she is to be a top-flight player.
“I don’t count how many years I’ve been playing,” Dementieva said after surviving a second-set meltdown against Nadia Petrova in the quarter-finals on Tuesday. “It’s every time like a first time.”
For the record, this is Dementieva’s tenth year on the Tour, but with her elegant groundstrokes and straight-backed carriage, the Russian is a throwback to a more genteel tennis era. It’s easy to picture her in sepia newsreels against Helen Wills Moody and the like.
Indeed, if Wimbledon is unusual in its persistent reference to ‘ladies’, Dementieva surely fits the bill. All sinewy muscle and practical sun visor on court, she arrives at her press conferences immaculately groomed. If she had been able to convert one of those major finals to a victory, she might easily have followed the Sharapova path to multimedia stardom.
But that probably wouldn’t have been her style anyway.
Still coached by her mother, Vera, Dementieva is also refreshingly open about her foibles, which include a notorious second serve – at times against Petrova it rolled in at a mere 70 mph – and a tendency to make heavy weather of matches that should have been won with ease. The serve remains a work in progress, she freely admits, and the Russian has learned to embrace her nerves.
“I don’t want to go on the court and feel like I don’t care. I really think while you’re on the court there is no time for being upset or disappointed or negative because, I mean, you’ll do it in the locker room.
“But while you’re out there and you have a chance to play in front of the crowd on the Centre Court of Wimbledon – which is a privilege for all of us – you have to take all the chances and, you know, fight till the end. I like to play, I like to compete.”
A proud Russian, Dementieva was thrilled by her hometown win at the Kremlin Cup at Moscow last October, where she beat Serena Williams in the final. Aside from being her second Tier I title, the tournament heralded a resurgence of form, after a nine-week injury lay-off in the spring saw her drop from the top 10 for the first time in 186 weeks. Although further injury spoiled her US hardcourt season, this year she has reached the finals on clay at Berlin and Istanbul, and won a ninth career title at Dubai, where, as the No.9 seed, she defeated Ana Ivanovic in the semis and Svetlana Kuznetsova in the final.
So now Dementieva finds herself back at No.5 in the world, just one place short of her career high, achieved in October 2004, in the wake of those Grand Slam losses to Anastasia Myskina and Kuznetsova and a loss to Maria Sharapova in the final at Zurich.
Though her exploits this week may not have much impact on her standing – the progress of the Williams sisters, who sit immediately below her in the rankings, remains a key factor, and Venus of course looms in the semi-finals – the Russian is nothing if not proof perfect that a woman’s tennis career still has legs when she is closer to 30 than 20.

:haha: Elena :kiss:

joão.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:49 PM
Lol, Lena :hearts:

tequila
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:51 PM
Elena :yeah:

Serenita
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:52 PM
did she ever won a GS?ooh yes now i remember runner-up

LCS
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
:worship:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:13 PM
Elena :hearts:

Everything what I've read /heard from people attending tournaments is how humble and nice she is unlike other people who change with the success

Willam
Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:16 PM
well sin dios ni ley, she gave me 3 autogrpahs AND after a match when i cheered for her gave me a signed ball for me and took like 29044 pics with me (all in diffs mathces, but same wek)

cheo23
Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:17 PM
So a REAL LADY needs to just let the men have the best COURTS????? :weirdo:

Russianboy
Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
well sin dios ni ley, she gave me 3 autogrpahs AND after a match when i cheered for her gave me a signed ball for me and took like 29044 pics with me (all in diffs mathces, but same wek)

lol im sure she is annoyed already at u :lol::p;)

DA FOREHAND
Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
From: http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2008-07-02/200807021215000809357.html

:haha: Elena :kiss:

what a slam at JJ. Should be interesting when they next meet.

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:57 PM
Lena spent most of these 2 weeks on court 85.
If she didn't complain, she never will. She doesn't care what court she's on.

alfonsojose
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:01 PM
B*cth.

spiceboy
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
Please Elena win Wimbledon :bigcry:

Serenita
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:41 PM
B*cth.'

:wavey:

Caz
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
lol! Gotta love Elena! :worship:

miffedmax
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:39 PM
She just absolutely fucking rocks.

The fact she wins a ton of tennis matches is just icing on the cake.

darrinbaker00
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:45 PM
She just absolutely fucking rocks.

The fact she wins a ton of tennis matches is just icing on the cake.
We've got two of the most inconsistent servers in the game facing each other tomorrow, Max. Whoever holds first, wins. ;)

:topic: : Why haven't you posted in the Wimbledon LRC? :confused:

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
Lena spent most of these 2 weeks on court 85.
If she didn't complain, she never will. She doesn't care what court she's on.

Then maybe the equation for her is...

Lack of Pride = Lack of 'Slams

serenus_2k8
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
Yeh Elena should be pleased that they let women play alongside the men and now get equal prize money. Its not right to now ask they get the same treatment with court allocation. :rolleyes: Go Elena :help:

darrinbaker00
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:54 PM
Then maybe the equation for her is...

Lack of Pride = Lack of 'Slams
"Pride" being a euphemism for "serve," of course.....

DA FOREHAND
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:54 PM
I don't recall Venus kicking up a fuss about court assignments either. What she said on the matter seemed to be more about the women getting the same treatment as the men.

UDACHi
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:20 PM
I don't recall Venus kicking up a fuss about court assignments either. What she said on the matter seemed to be more about the women getting the same treatment as the men.

so insecure. this thread really does not involve venus at all. :confused: :lol: the thread is pointing out that elena is a top player with the correct attitude and the maturity to not bitch about courts. she's been on court 2, court 11, court 18, all week. i'm proud of elena for not letting it affect her. :)

ChriS.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:27 PM
Elena is a great player and, if she is ever number 2 seed at Wimbledon, I hope she does ask to be put on one of the show courts because she would deserve it just as JJ did. She is one of the nicest players in the WTA.

manu32
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
nice but boring...i saw her at french open and NYC ,her game is a stereotype as her attitude..lack of personnality and no crowd's

movments for her game or talent but nice indeed,really....

DA FOREHAND
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
so insecure. this thread really does not involve venus at all. :confused: :lol: the thread is pointing out that elena is a top player with the correct attitude and the maturity to not bitch about courts. she's been on court 2, court 11, court 18, all week. i'm proud of elena for not letting it affect her. :)

Not insecure at all. Venus could lose this title and still be the Queen of Wimbledon.

My point was Venus never "bitched or acted immature" about her court assignment. Court 2 effected Venus so much that she won in straights singles and doubles. No major feat, and certainly nothing to be proud of.

I'm proud that Elean pulled her head out of her ass and didn't lose another match she was up 6-1 5-1!:tape:

Julian
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:37 PM
GO ELENA! She was finally put on a main court only because she was the highest seed left in the draw. And even though she has not won this championship before or a GS for that matter, its not like shes a nobody.

serenus_2k8
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
Elena is a great player and, if she is ever number 2 seed at Wimbledon, I hope she does ask to be put on one of the show courts because she would deserve it just as JJ did. She is one of the nicest players in the WTA.

Nice doesnt sell though :cool:

I thought we were past the stage where being a 'real lady' meant smiling and nodding when told. I much prefer a woman that isnt afraid to speak up for herself and speak her opinion, especially over things they feel strongly about.

To say expressing a dislike in scheduling as midly as Ree did (why drag Vee in for no reason?) when pushed by several interviewers doesnt make her any less of a woman :wavey:

ViennaCalling
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:46 PM
All the best Lena :kiss:

Serenita
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:46 PM
GO ELENA! She was finally put on a main court only because she was the highest seed left in the draw. And even though she has not won this championship before or a GS for that matter, its not like shes a nobody.

No she's a runner-up. Not bad. :wavey:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
She doesn´t forget her origins unlike other players :yeah:

Many players seem to forget that they played on crappy tournaments

DA FOREHAND
Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:51 PM
She doesn´t forget her origins unlike other players :yeah:

Of course she doesn't her Mom is her coach ...duh!

N. E. WAY

The writer basically said "finally a woman that knows her place." yay?

-Sonic-
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:01 PM
Elena's great.

On her way back to the locker room from her match with Peer, some scary guy asked her for a photo and she kinda took a step away from him and whacked me with her racquet bag.... she apologised.... i said no problem.... she's lovely.... i think some other players would have maybe whacked me again for good measure.....

good luck tomorrow :)

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:05 PM
Of course she doesn't her Mom is her coach ...duh!

I meant , the money has not changed her

DEETHELICK
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:08 PM
The intepretation is the article writer's. Yes Elena doesn't complain much, but she certainly has opinions (about Maria, Sveta, Williamses x 2). She's honest and keeps it real. Let her tennis do the talking. Sometimes it doesn't but she is literally all about using her racket to blast that ball and win matches.

Good luck tomorrow :)

LudwigDvorak
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:09 PM
Elena's expressed her opinions over the course of her long career many times. She's been nice and sweet and also controversial and tactless. She doesn't make a fuss about where she's put court-wise because it doesn't matter about the court, it matters about winning. She's done a good bit of that this year, let alone this slam.

For someone of her rank and level of popularity (generally) I think she gets placed well at the slams. She's almost always on the biggest outside courts with TVs. Fine by me. :shrug:

Article said nothing I didn't already know though.

UDACHi
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:11 PM
Not insecure at all. Venus could lose this title and still be the Queen of Wimbledon.

My point was Venus never "bitched or acted immature" about her court assignment. Court 2 effected Venus so much that she won in straights singles and doubles. No major feat, and certainly nothing to be proud of.

I'm proud that Elean pulled her head out of her ass and didn't lose another match she was up 6-1 5-1!:tape:

again randomly gloating about venus. the thread really has nothing to do with her.
elena has not lost any matches from 6-1 5-1 up.

miffedmax
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:20 PM
Nice doesnt sell though :cool:

I thought we were past the stage where being a 'real lady' meant smiling and nodding when told. I much prefer a woman that isnt afraid to speak up for herself and speak her opinion, especially over things they feel strongly about.

To say expressing a dislike in scheduling as midly as Ree did (why drag Vee in for no reason?) when pushed by several interviewers doesnt make her any less of a woman :wavey:

I thinked they picked some bad examples of her being ladylike. Lena can be quite tart-tongued when she wants to, and has made a number of statements regarding equal pay and treatment as well as other issues she feels strongly about. (Bottom line-she thinks women should get same). She's not as widely quoted as she's less well-known and has a probably deserved reputation for being shy. (I admit sometimes you have to be an obbsssed fan to hear thoughts interviews).

Maybe I'm hopelessly old-fashioned, but I actually see Lena D.--and Venus and Serena, too, actually-- as being strong and ladylike at a time when a lot of people seem to think being strong means acting like a bad imitation of Lleyton Hewitt, IMHO a fairly dismal role model for anyone.

(Word also is that for all her sweetness, Lena is as stubborn as a gov't mule and not even Mommy Vera can get her to do something Lena doesn't want to do).

She's a little bit of a throwback, I'll admit, but nothing says "strong" like the courage to be yourself.

Sean.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:23 PM
And there were Serena fans complaining at the one time she had to play on court 2:silly:

:worship:Elena, great attitude. A court is a court after all - same size and surface :shrug:

Also Sveta (who is ranked even higher) never gets on center courts even when she is #2 seed. And her fans never complain. :yeah: Sveta fans :hug:

At those saying Venus never complains. AO 2008 vs. Mirza:rolleyes:

Just a side note. Court 18 is not the smallest court. It's the 4th if not 3rd biggest and definately one of the nicest! Wimbledon just has to be weird with its numberings:lol:

Njay16
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:23 PM
I think Venus will win 6-1 7-6(7)

I think Elena will be ver nervous early on and then calm down and start to swing away. But the surface really does just favor Venus. But I will be just as happy if Elena wins.

darrinbaker00
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:08 PM
And there were Serena fans complaining at the one time she had to play on court 2:silly:

:worship:Elena, great attitude. A court is a court after all - same size and surface :shrug:

Also Sveta (who is ranked even higher) never gets on center courts even when she is #2 seed. And her fans never complain. :yeah: Sveta fans :hug:

At those saying Venus never complains. AO 2008 vs. Mirza:rolleyes:

Just a side note. Court 18 is not the smallest court. It's the 4th if not 3rd biggest and definately one of the nicest! Wimbledon just has to be weird with its numberings:lol:
That wasn't a complaint. Tennis Australia asked Venus AND Sania Mirza if they wouldn't mind moving their match from Laver to Vodafone (where there was a match already taking place). Both players said that they would rather play on Laver AS SCHEDULED. Nice try.

Danči Dementia
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:37 PM
lol! Gotta love Elena! :worship:

Its impossible not to she is such lovely lady :hearts:

Go Elena:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Dave.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:40 PM
Lena is great, I love her! :hearts: Such a casual, enjoyable, refreshing attitude to her tennis and her Wimbledon campaign.

Watching her against Bacsinszky really was the highlight of my day at Wimbledon and she was lovely afterwards, she gave me an autograph and was so charming (plus she is 10 times more gorgeous in real life!)

Richie's
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:07 AM
I Hope Damentieva will make it this time!!! She is sucha great player!!!
Untill now she didn't give us her best tennis and she is in Semifinal now... What to say!!! Vamos Elena!

Svetlana.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:23 AM
Elena and Sveta are the nicest girls from the current #10 list of players.

Wtrain
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:55 AM
YYYAAAAYYYY go Elena!!!.....let the men have all the show courts!! wooohhoooo........ :rolleyes:

kinglear
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:52 AM
Elena herself is very elegant, but her game overall is not elegant, and I love that about her game. I view her game as brute force. Her game is Red Square power with some cleverness mixed into it. :) She plays a determined brand of tennis.

DimaDinosaur
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:55 AM

LOL, LenaD is ok sometimes

Junex
Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:49 AM
Why are some posters so defensive of their faves?

austennis
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:08 AM
i agree.. why do williams sis fanATICS always take every positive/compliment given to another player as a slur to their own..i love V more than elena but i dont view this as an attack on Vee or Ana or any1 else... i also dont think it matters if they are male or female..wimbledon has been very fair and most GS put it m-f-m and so on in their court programs...and lets face it Hewitt vs Fed is more entertaining to mose ppl than Elena vs Peer

Danči Dementia
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:32 AM
YYYAAAAYYYY go Elena!!!.....let the men have all the show courts!! wooohhoooo........ :rolleyes:

If she doesn´t cares about the court where she plays why should she care about the courts where the other girls play???? :rolleyes:

Pesi
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:44 AM
Not a fan of her tennis, but as a person she seems nice and down to earth, yeah.

Broken Racquet
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:44 AM
Go Elena, you can do it!
:smash:

Myggen
Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:57 AM

Did you ever win a slam? So many people on this forum are bashing others based on what their favorite players do or don't do. It's really pathetic...