PDA

View Full Version : Which tournaments are the most successful in their respective Tier?

bjurra
Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:42 PM
Is there any public statistic for financial results and tickets sold for individual WTA events?

Which tournaments do you think are the most successful in terms of profit and attendance?

I have been to a few tournaments and seen many more on TV and here are my subjective top tournaments:

Tier I:

1. Miami
2. Indian Wells

Tier II:

1. Sydney
2. Antwerpen (before the farewell of the Belgians)
3. Amelia Island
4. Paris
5. Zurich

Tier III:

1. S'Hertogenbosch
2. Memphis
3. Mumbai

Tier IV:

No clue. Are there any successful Tier IV events?

The Kaz
Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Mumbai doesnt have a WTA tournament....

Kolkata? ;)

lympyisthebest
Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
I don't know the attendance/profit of tournaments, so i'll judge by the strength of the field.

Tier 1

1. Miami
2. Berlin
3. Indian Wells

Tier 2

1. Sydney
2. Stuttgart
3. Dubai

Tier 3

1. Birmingham
2. S'Hertogenbosch
3. Bali

Tier 4

1. Auckland

FORZA SARITA
Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Mumbai doesnt have a WTA tournament....

Kolkata? ;)

all the players say this tournament SUCKS :lol:

saphir1
Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
I don't know the attendance/profit of tournaments, so i'll judge by the strength of the field.

Tier 1

1. Miami
2. Berlin
3. Indian Wells

As much as I would love to see Berlin up there (I actually do see it up there regarding the strength of the field), but as for financial results and attendance I guess it's near the bottom line... German people don't understand what a great tournament it is or at least they are not interested in tennis anymore... :rolleyes:

jimbo mack
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
how do stanford, los angeles and new haven rate?

mapaliey
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:06 PM
tier I :

1. miami

tier II :

1. sydney
2. DOHA
3. DUBAI

tier III :

1.bali
2.Gold coast

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:23 PM
Indian Wells easily out sells Miami

Willam
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
Miami
Moscow or Dubai
Bangalore? :confused:

bjurra
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
how do stanford, los angeles and new haven rate?

Stanford and San Diego are both successful tournaments from what I can tell. New Haven has a strong attendance, partly helped by it being a joint event and Blake being something of a home player. (J-block...:( )

I dont know much about LA.

A'DAM
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
Warsaw was a very good Tier II

bjurra
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=olympus;13541429]I don't know the attendance/profit of tournaments, so i'll judge by the strength of the field.

The strength of the field contributes to attendance and financial profit rather than the other way round. Some tournaments have a strong field without being successful, either because they belong to Tier I (Berlin) or because they are attractive for the players for geographic and scheduling reasons.

bjurra
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:45 PM
What about Tier IV tournaments? Anyone know which tournament has the greatest attendance?

Dodoboy.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Tier I

Miami
Indian Wells

Tier II

Dubai
Eastbourne

Tier III

Tokyo
Birmingham

Max565
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:33 PM
I think San Diego was a well-attended tournament... the Roger's Cup too... well - from the impression I got from watching them on TV :p

but of course Indian Wells and Miami are up there too.