PDA

View Full Version : When is the wta calendar 2009 officially released?

jimbo mack
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:31 PM
I can't wait to see the reactions by players and fans

Backhand_stille
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:56 PM
are wta belgrade in this calendar?? it will be teir II !!! :D

InsideOut.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:59 PM

If it is, I know of two top 10 players who will be participating :)

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:06 PM

It won't. There are no tier II or XX in 2009.

Backhand_stille
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:13 PM
some people from TSS(Tennis svaez Srbija)....must to speak on the wimbldone with people from WTA...
one my friend interweiwing womens tennis player on WTA Berlin and only one Top 10 player say no to play in Belgrade for sure...but he didn't tell us who is it? :D English teriblle

jimbo mack
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:30 PM
???

Serenita
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:36 PM
where is the calendar?????

jimbo mack
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:41 PM
i want to see if they are really are going to go ahead with this absurd 'no top 10 in a tournament' rule

DutchieGirl
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
i want to see if they are really are going to go ahead with this absurd 'no top 10 in a tournament' rule

erm...that rule is already on the tour. Top 10 players are NOT allowed to play in tier 4 tourneys already. And if there are 2 tourneys of different tier status in the same week, they have to play the higher of the two, or not play at all!

Matt01
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:12 PM
erm...that rule is already on the tour. Top 10 players are NOT allowed to play in tier 4 tourneys already. And if there are 2 tourneys of different tier status in the same week, they have to play the higher of the two, or not play at all!

Hmmm, I could have sworn that I saw some Top 10 players play this year at s'Hertogenbosch, even though Eastbourne, which is of a higher status, was played in the same week :p

Generally, you aren't wrong, though...

DutchieGirl
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Hmmm, I could have sworn that I saw some Top 10 players play this year at s'Hertogenbosch, even though Eastbourne, which is of a higher status, was played in the same week :p

Generally, you aren't wrong, though...

Yes, you're right. At the moment it's top 6, and they will expand it to top 10 next year. But it's not like it's a totally new rule. (Dementieva was not top 6 when the entry list of Rosmalen was done, so she could play).

jimbo mack
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:07 PM
i just feel sorry for the top ten players who wont be able to play gold coast, memphis, hertogenbosch, cincinnati etc like they have done in recent years

lower ranked players can play what they want. the top players have to play what larry scott wants them to play

retarded

mashamaniac
Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:32 PM
If it is, I know of two top 10 players who will be participating :)

Are you supposed to be funny here??:rolleyes:

Richie's
Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:17 AM
I think that Monte Carlo and Greece is waiting for a lond time for a WTA tournament. I read that ITF manage to give a chance to Greece to host a 100.000 USD tournament, just one of 6. Greece held this year for first time a ATP 100.000 tournament and a ITF 50.000 (WTA) which Rybarikova won.

Richie's
Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:18 AM
Serbia not for sure as i know...

OZTENNIS
Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:38 AM
i just feel sorry for the top ten players who wont be able to play gold coast, memphis, hertogenbosch, cincinnati etc like they have done in recent years

lower ranked players can play what they want. the top players have to play what larry scott wants them to play

retarded
Gold Coast tournament is being moved to Brisbane...in addition, there are no bigger tournaments that week, so Brisbane will get top 10 players

DutchieGirl
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:02 AM

retarded

Why? What grade is Auckland gonna be then? Coz Auckland has always been a lower ter than the GC. Besides, usually only 1 or 2 players from 7-10 play the events you mentioned (other than GC as it's a tier 3, and auckland's a tier 4) as top 6 already can't play them.

But yeah, I don't like the top players not being able to play if they want to at these tourneys. I would like it better if they had a limit or so. Otherwise you will probably have someone just play tier 3's and 4's all year and can maybe get into top 10 (kinda like Muller with ITFs and the top 50). ;)

jimbo mack
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM
can i email the wta to ask when the schedule will be released or will they just laugh in my face?

DutchieGirl
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:34 AM
You could try, but I guess they won't reply. Maybe you should PM TheBoiledEgg - he has a few contacts and maybe he will have some idea.

jimbo mack
Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
im going to australia next year and new zealand so want to know if i can see any top ten players in brisbane and/or auckland, i like watching the lower ranked players but my friends will only go if top players are playing as they are not really into tennis.

i just hope calendar is out soon so i can start planning :)

Kovalchuk
Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:46 PM
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=340464

some discussions on this thread