PDA

View Full Version : Henin : "0 Wimbledon is my biggest failure."

Serenidad.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:35 PM
Duh.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/02072008/3/wimbledon-failure-biggest-regret-admits-henin.html

Wimbledon failure was biggest regret, admits Henin
Wed 02 Jul, 12:43 PM

LONDON (AFP) - Justine Henin, who rocked tennis by her shock decision to quit on the eve of the French Open, admitted on Wednesday that failure to win Wimbledon was her biggest regret.

The Belgian was runner-up at the All England Club in 2001 and 2006 losing to Venus Williams and Amelie Mauresmo respectively, leaving a major gap in her portfolio which boasted four Roland Garros titles, two US Opens and one win at the Australian Open.

"Not winning Wimbledon has been the big disappointment of my career. It's a great tradition. I love it but my game wasn't quite good enough and I probably wasn't confident enough to win on the grass," said Henin.

"I keep thinking that Venus Williams is the best player on grass. She's big and tall so, for me, she's the favourite this year."

Henin quit just before her 26th birthday, but hasn't ruled out a return to the tour although she admitted a change of mind was unlikely.

"I would never say for sure that I won't be back but for me and the people who know me they know that I do something 200 percent and when I decide it's over, it's over," said Justine Henin, speaking on www.laureus.com.

"Lots of people understood the decision. They are sad for me and for the game of tennis but maybe I can give something else now and that's really important too."

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Yeah it was. She won everything there is (AO, FO, USO, Gold Medal, YEC), except this.

Sigh... why did you quit, Justine? Why? :sad:

(Waiting for haters to come into here and say "Haha" or "Quitter")

Kart
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
Regret and disappointment are not the same thing.

kwilliams
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
Well she acknowledged the chance of a return a fraction more than she did a couple of months ago. I know it's still REALLLLLY unlikely but at least she kinda admits that she doesn't know how she will feel in the future. She doesn't expect to feel differently but she doesn't know for sure.

There's hope you you yet JH fans...even if it is just a sliver of hope.

Destiny
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:49 PM
Great she finally said it

That's the first step to getting over it :hug:

Mynarco
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:51 PM
How come she lost to Bartoli last year :o

supergrunt
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Okay I am getting so sick of the "Venus is big and tall that is hwy she is good on grass". That does not even make sense.

Libertango
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:55 PM
Still think she'll be back ...

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:55 PM

She had a 'bad' day.:shrug: Mentally or physically.:angel:

Ju :hug:

Pengwin
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:00 PM

IMO Bartoli totally outplayed her in every way and she should have no regrets for that match.

eck
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:15 PM
Well, obviously :o

terjw
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:36 PM
You know - when she retired didn't she cite one of her reasons was she'd achieved everything in tennis. But that never made sense when she never got the Wimbledon title.

Still - that was her decision to retire.

thrust
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:39 PM
Okay I am getting so sick of the "Venus is big and tall that is hwy she is good on grass". That does not even make sense.
Big and tall= Power and reach which are a big advantage on grass. That, and being a great athlete, helps make Venus great on grass. There is a pic somewhere in WTA World of the awards ceremony at the 2001 Wimbledon. Seeing scrawny little Justine with Venus is almost funny. Justine looks like a 12 YO kid next to Venus. Talk about David VS Goliath! Justine^s loss to Amelie in 2006 was my most heartbreaking loss by Justine. I guess Wimbledon was never meant to be for her. Hopefully though she will come back at least as a part time player. Rankings should be of little importance for her when she gets into the top 10. She should be like the Williams Sisters and concentrate on Slams and a few other important tournaments.

Tipp
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
She's probably kicking herself - with all the seeds coming crashing down, this year would have been her best stab at the title. Obviously, she still would have had the WS to contend with, but she could have cruised to the semis. I'm glad she's at least acknowledging the possibility of comeback now - handing over that RG trophy to a girl she spanked there last year and had a 5-0 H2H against probably wasn't a nice feeling. I'm holding out hope that Jankovic is going to win an upcoming Slam and Justine will be sitting at home, watching it and thinking "Huh, I guess winning Slams isn't as hard as I remember. Maybe I should give it another go."

thrust
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
You know - when she retired didn't she cite one of her reasons was she'd achieved everything in tennis. But that never made sense when she never got the Wimbledon title.

I think she meant she had achieved everything she thought she could have, when she started. I do not think she ever thought she would win Wimbledon back then. The FO was always her biggest goal, the USO and AO were somewhat unexpected wins for her. She overachieved in both her and most others expectations of her carrer.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:49 PM
Big and tall= Power and reach which are a big advantage on grass. That, and being a great athlete, helps make Venus great on grass. There is a pic somewhere in WTA World of the awards ceremony at the 2001 Wimbledon. Seeing scrawny little Justine with Venus is almost funny. Justine looks like a 12 YO kid next to Venus. Talk about David VS Goliath! Justine^s loss to Amelie in 2006 was my most heartbreaking loss by Justine. I guess Wimbledon was never meant to be for her. Hopefully though she will come back at least as a part time player. Rankings should be of little importance for her when she gets into the top 10. She should be like the Williams Sisters and concentrate on Slams and a few other important tournaments.

:topic: then explain why marion is also great on grass...jie??? tammy???? :wavey:

but anyways....i'm surprised she didn't try one more time :shrug:

InsideOut.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:00 PM
She's probably kicking herself - with all the seeds coming crashing down, this year would have been her best stab at the title. Obviously, she still would have had the WS to contend with, but she could have cruised to the semis. I'm glad she's at least acknowledging the possibility of comeback now - handing over that RG trophy to a girl she spanked there last year and had a 5-0 H2H against probably wasn't a nice feeling. I'm holding out hope that Jankovic is going to win an upcoming Slam and Justine will be sitting at home, watching it and thinking "Huh, I guess winning Slams isn't as hard as I remember. Maybe I should give it another go."

It was 4-0. No one has ever had a +5 H2H against Ana. All of those turned from 4-0 to 4-1. Patty's H2H with Ana turned from 4-0 to 4-4.

Justine, she's probably feeling pretty frustrated that this oculd have been her Wimbledon.

supergrunt
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:01 PM

Justine hits just as hard as The WS and Maria though (sometimes).

Ryan
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
:topic: then explain why marion is also great on grass...jie??? tammy???? :wavey:

Obviously not being "big and tall" doesn't make you a shitty grass player, so whats your point? Venus' best attributes are highlighted even more on grass - her great hustling and defense skills, good slice serve, and excellent reach/volleys. Saying that she is "big and tall" is boiling it down a bit, but Venus' height and reach are huge reasons why she's so great on grass. :shrug:

Tanasugarn and Zheng hit the ball relatively flat, serve well on grass, and are good at coming in. They are good on grass despite being slim and short. Venus would still be an awesome player if she was only 5"8', but it helps her that she is taller and has more reach.

saki
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
It's not about hitting hard, it's about the serve. I saw Venus/Tammy and Serena/Aga yesterday. During those first sets, both Tammy and Aga were going toe-to-toe with Venus/Serena. Except for the serve. The difference between Justine and Serena/Venus/Amelie on grass was exactly the same. It's hard to get a powerful consistent serve if you're short.

That's not to say that it's easy if you're tall. Lots of players the same height as Venus/Serena don't have their serves. Kim was pretty much the same height/build as Serena but didn't have her pace or variety on serve. Venus/Serena deserve credit for producing serves like they do.

Short players can and are good on grass. Justine was pretty damn good on grass too. But there's a big difference between being good on grass and winning Wimbledon. The shortest Wimbledon champ in recent years was Steffi and she wasn't exactly short.

azinna
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
I think she's beginning to really see just how incomprehensible her decision to quit was.

Anyway, if she was in the mix, all the #2-10 girls would have been gunning for her, probably playing more relaxed than they are now. It wouldn't have been all fun and cruise control to the semis.....

thrust
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:10 PM

Marion probably played the match of her life that day. Since the she has accomplished nothing, which is sad. Whatever, Justine had a great carrer and has much to be proud of, even without a Wimbledon win. Of her era, only Serena has a slightly better record then Justine.

Marshmallow
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:21 PM
Obviously not being "big and tall" doesn't make you a shitty grass player, so whats your point? Venus' best attributes are highlighted even more on grass - her great hustling and defense skills, good slice serve, and excellent reach/volleys. Saying that she is "big and tall" is boiling it down a bit, but Venus' height and reach are huge reasons why she's so great on grass. :shrug:

Tanasugarn and Zheng hit the ball relatively flat, serve well on grass, and are good at coming in. They are good on grass despite being slim and short. Venus would still be an awesome player if she was only 5"8', but it helps her that she is taller and has more reach.

That's why it's annoying, because the WS have been reduced to big tall bullies. The commentator yesterday was comparing Serena to a boxer, Jelena went on to how big and strong she was as the main reason for the loss - on they whole other aspects of their game. Serena especially is a great tactician who can execute various game plans and styles, but a lot of people miss this, instead latching on to every opportunity to Brand her the big bad bully against small pre-pubescent punny Aga for example.

G&R
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
yes it's true.. she won eveything except wimby

hingis-seles
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:25 PM
It's not about hitting hard, it's about the serve. I saw Venus/Tammy and Serena/Aga yesterday. During those first sets, both Tammy and Aga were going toe-to-toe with Venus/Serena. Except for the serve. The difference between Justine and Serena/Venus/Amelie on grass was exactly the same. It's hard to get a powerful consistent serve if you're short.

That's not to say that it's easy if you're tall. Lots of players the same height as Venus/Serena don't have their serves. Kim was pretty much the same height/build as Serena but didn't have her pace or variety on serve. Venus/Serena deserve credit for producing serves like they do.

Short players can and are good on grass. Justine was pretty damn good on grass too. But there's a big difference between being good on grass and winning Wimbledon. The shortest Wimbledon champ in recent years was Steffi and she wasn't exactly short.

Let's not leave Hingis out of this discussion, even if she was the shortest Wimbledon champion in recent years. ;)

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
That's why it's annoying, because the WS have been reduced to big tall bullies. The commentator yesterday was comparing Serena to a boxer, Jelena went on to how big and strong she was as the main reason for the loss - on they whole other aspects of their game. Serena especially is a great tactician who can execute various game plans and styles, but a lot of people miss this, instead latching on to every opportunity to Brand her the big bad bully against small pre-pubescent punny Aga for example.

thank you :)

irma
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
Venus is tall but I definitely would not call her big. She looks pretty thin.

saki
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:38 PM
Let's not leave Hingis out of this discussion, even if she was the shortest Wimbledon champion in recent years. ;)

Doh! Fair point.

I understand the frustration regarding "oh, Serena and Venus only win because they're tall and strong" when there are lots of other tall and strong players who don't get that said about them. And I think Dementieva shows that you can be tall and still have an awful serve. But, at the same time, being tall is an advantage when it comes to serve. If Justine had been even just three inches taller, she'd have had a much easier time getting her serve to be both consistent and powerful.

goldlion
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:38 PM
I think she's beginning to really see just how incomprehensible her decision to quit was.

Anyway, if she was in the mix, all the #2-10 girls would have been gunning for her, probably playing more relaxed than they are now. It wouldn't have been all fun and cruise control to the semis.....

I like this comment. If she's totally into tennis and wants to devote herself in tennis, she would have stayed playing on the tour in order to raise the competitiveness of the women tennis.

All of a sudden the WTA Tour lacks a dominant leader but lots of confused and inconsistent girls, especially the top 4. The Williams are great contenders but clearly they should play more if they wanna get the dominance.

Even though she didn't win a Wimby title in her career, her name is already on the history book. She will always be a great player to miss and remember. But she's still young, she can come back even she's 27. I just want to see her leading the women tennis again, especially with her height and game = stunning.

hankqq
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
I'm not an Henin fan, but I do hope she comes back in the future.

Anyway, as Zheng has shown, you don't need to be tall to play well on grass. Zheng hits a flat ball that drives through the court-but it also stays very low, and this gave a lot of her taller opponents a lot of trouble (Ivanovic, Vaidisova, etc.). Players like Serena, Venus, Dementieva and even Sharapova (yes I'm complimenting her) are able to get very low to return balls, whereas other tall women (Vaidisova, Ivanovic, Davenport, Hantuchova) have trouble when the ball is below their comfortable strike zone. Of course on grass, you have to be ready for the ball to take all kinds of bounces, and Venus and Serena have shown they are the best at adapting to them.

Henin used a lot of topspin, and even though her backhand slice was good for grass, she usually took such big swings off both sides that she would often mistime/frame her shots. The different grass bounces really screwed up her timing against top opponents. Especially in the wind, she was terrible. In the Bartoli match, Bartoli's shorter, more compact swings allowed her to adapt to the wind better, while Henin was left frustrated.

Apoleb
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:56 PM
I'm not an Henin fan, but I do hope she comes back in the future.

Anyway, as Zheng has shown, you don't need to be tall to play well on grass. Zheng hits a flat ball that drives through the court-but it also stays very low, and this gave a lot of her taller opponents a lot of trouble (Ivanovic, Vaidisova, etc.). Players like Serena, Venus, Dementieva and even Sharapova (yes I'm complimenting her) are able to get very low to return balls, whereas other tall women (Vaidisova, Ivanovic, Davenport, Hantuchova) have trouble when the ball is below their comfortable strike zone. Of course on grass, you have to be ready for the ball to take all kinds of bounces, and Venus and Serena have shown they are the best at adapting to them.

Henin used a lot of topspin, and even though her backhand slice was good for grass, she usually took such big swings off both sides that she would often mistime/frame her shots. The different grass bounces really screwed up her timing against top opponents. Especially in the wind, she was terrible. In the Bartoli match, Bartoli's shorter, more compact swings allowed her to adapt to the wind better, while Henin was left frustrated.

Great points. :yeah:

However, I still believe that with her variety she can still adapt to grass. Someone like Mauresmo has the same issues from the baseline as her. Big swings and extreme grips. She still was able to tone her game to the grass with S&V and blocking returns.

DA FOREHAND
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:56 PM

Not to mention the other Martina wasn't a giant either. don't make height an excuse for winning or not winning Wimbledon.

Henin put it best. My game wasn't quite good enough to win there.

slamchamp
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
her best chance was 2006 and she blew it

hankqq
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
Great points. :yeah:

However, I still believe that with her variety she can still adapt to grass. Someone like Mauresmo has the same issues from the baseline as her. Big swings and extreme grips. She still was able to tone her game to the grass with S&V and blocking returns.

very true about Mauresmo. I agree that if Henin had changed her game plan a little more, she probably could have won Wimbledon. With her I think there were a few key differences:

-Henin had a big serve, but it wasn't consistent. In 2006, Mauresmo got a lot more free points off her first serve.

-Mauresmo's forehand has always been a source of weakness, but grass helps her protect that side more than on any other surface. In 2006, Mauresmo looked to come in more often than Henin because she wasn't content to let her opponents attack her forehand. When Mauresmo had to play forehands, unless she was sure could just hit it to the open court for a winner, she would often do a slice forehand/squash shot. Especially when returning serve, Mauresmo (see her match against Sharapova) and Federer (his matches against Roddick) tend chip their returns more, whereas Henin would look to attack with her return. Basically, Mauresmo and Federer's strategy was a lot safer, while Henin kept taking risks that sometimes paid off, sometimes not. In the last set and a half of the final, Henin's timing on her forehand went off, and along with Mauresmo's good play, it cost her the match.

-Off the backhand side, again, Henin did slice, but she still used too much of her topspin big-swinging backhand. Mauresmo often sliced to keep the ball low and throw off her opponents' timing. These slices also were good approach shots, since they stayed so low, and Mauresmo could work her way to net more.

It's kind of funny, because Mauresmo is most aggressive when playing on grass (most passive on clay), but it's safe aggression from her. She doesn't make as many mistakes because she won't go for as many big groundstrokes, given her loopy swings. Henin came to net more on grass, but she still overplayed her topspin groundstrokes, which she had trouble timing when the bad bounce/wind effect was happening.

DA FOREHAND
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:41 PM
Henin was clearly outplayed everytime she came to Wimbledon. Venus, Bartoli, Mauresmo

LDVTennis
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:45 PM

Steffi is as tall as Amelie and Serena.

LDVTennis
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:48 PM
Venus is tall but I definitely would not call her big. She looks pretty thin.

You have to see her in person. She is not thin.

AcesHigh
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
Henin had the game.. I've probably said it too many times, but many others have repeated the same: her game adapted very well for grass. She had teh ability to flatten out her strokes, hit a good slice serve out-wide, great play at net. She knew how to effectively use the backhand slice and her short stature allowed her to reach the low-bounce of Wimbledon better than others.

She had all the tools for victory. She just couldnt capitalize mentally. That "her game wasn't good enough" is complete BS.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:57 PM
Henin had the game.. I've probably said it too many times, but many others have repeated the same: her game adapted very well for grass. She had teh ability to flatten out her strokes, hit a good slice serve out-wide, great play at net. She knew how to effectively use the backhand slice and her short stature allowed her to reach the low-bounce of Wimbledon better than others.

She had all the tools for victory. She just couldnt capitalize mentally. That "her game wasn't good enough" is complete BS.

QFT :worship::worship::worship:

hankqq
Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:58 PM

I don't know if you were talking to me or not, but I was just talking about her strategy. She had the game, no doubt, but she didn't always do the right things out there.

AcesHigh
Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:11 PM
I don't know if you were talking to me or not, but I was just talking about her strategy. She had the game, no doubt, but she didn't always do the right things out there.

No, wasn't talking to you at all. I only skimmed through the thread and my post wasn't directed to anyone at all. It's just I've read too many posts on this board bashing Henin's performance and capabilities at Wimbledon.

I agree, her strategy was flawed at times and I think a lot of that has to do with her confidence and mentality. For instance, her match against Serena should not have been so close. That was a huge mental hurdle she had to get over and IMO, it drained her so much that she wasnt able to bring it 100% in the next round. I don't think she ever believed in herself fully at Wimbledon. I think that's why she has such a sterling record there but never a breakthrough. More self-belief and confidence could have resulted in a better gameplan and definitely better execution.

DimaDinosaur
Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:14 PM
Justine is a great champion no matter what. She inspired millions of people. Winning wimbledon is just icing on the cake of a very stellar career. Justine is still the best in many people opinions :hug: :yeah:

DA FOREHAND
Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
No, wasn't talking to you at all. I only skimmed through the thread and my post wasn't directed to anyone at all. It's just I've read too many posts on this board bashing Henin's performance and capabilities at Wimbledon.

I agree, her strategy was flawed at times and I think a lot of that has to do with her confidence and mentality. For instance, her match against Serena should not have been so close. That was a huge mental hurdle she had to get over and IMO, it drained her so much that she wasnt able to bring it 100% in the next round. I don't think she ever believed in herself fully at Wimbledon. I think that's why she has such a sterling record there but never a breakthrough. More self-belief and confidence could have resulted in a better gameplan and definitely better execution.

Nice post, but two things I take exception to. One her record at Wimbledon is not sterling, unless you're speaking of the two runner up plates she earned, two she was taking it to Bartoli, until Barts turned that match around and beat the brakes off her, leaving Justine to wonder what hit her because she was truly stunned.

Apoleb
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
very true about Mauresmo. I agree that if Henin had changed her game plan a little more, she probably could have won Wimbledon. With her I think there were a few key differences:

-Henin had a big serve, but it wasn't consistent. In 2006, Mauresmo got a lot more free points off her first serve.

-Mauresmo's forehand has always been a source of weakness, but grass helps her protect that side more than on any other surface. In 2006, Mauresmo looked to come in more often than Henin because she wasn't content to let her opponents attack her forehand. When Mauresmo had to play forehands, unless she was sure could just hit it to the open court for a winner, she would often do a slice forehand/squash shot. Especially when returning serve, Mauresmo (see her match against Sharapova) and Federer (his matches against Roddick) tend chip their returns more, whereas Henin would look to attack with her return. Basically, Mauresmo and Federer's strategy was a lot safer, while Henin kept taking risks that sometimes paid off, sometimes not. In the last set and a half of the final, Henin's timing on her forehand went off, and along with Mauresmo's good play, it cost her the match.

-Off the backhand side, again, Henin did slice, but she still used too much of her topspin big-swinging backhand. Mauresmo often sliced to keep the ball low and throw off her opponents' timing. These slices also were good approach shots, since they stayed so low, and Mauresmo could work her way to net more.

It's kind of funny, because Mauresmo is most aggressive when playing on grass (most passive on clay), but it's safe aggression from her. She doesn't make as many mistakes because she won't go for as many big groundstrokes, given her loopy swings. Henin came to net more on grass, but she still overplayed her topspin groundstrokes, which she had trouble timing when the bad bounce/wind effect was happening.

Agree with pretty much everything you said. Just to nitpick a little bit, I think Mauresmo's game started to turn really passive from the baseline since 2004. I don't believe she was passive on clay before that. In 2003 if I remember correctly she came in as the favorite to RG after beating Serena (which at the time was an acheivement regardeless of surface). She used to use her bh to tremendous effect on clay with the huge top spin, going to the cc shot to pull her opponent out of the court then dtl. Her game anyway seems to be originally tuned for clay with the huge top spin and the grips. Not to turn the thread into a Mauresmo one, but yeah.

shap_half
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
Nice post, but two things I take exception to. One her record at Wimbledon is not sterling, unless you're speaking of the two runner up plates she earned, two she was taking it to Bartoli, until Barts turned that match around and beat the brakes off her, leaving Justine to wonder what hit her because she was truly stunned.

The last two times Justine got close (06 and 07), she choked her chances away. In both first sets, she was owning her opponents, but in the second and third sets, her head fell apart and then her game followed suit. Admitting that she was getting outplayed might have been easier to swallow had there not been a marked difference in her level of play in the beginning of the match compared to the last 2 sets. I'm not really convinced Amelie's and Marion's games sky-rocketted to such a level that Justine just couldn't respond.

I think Justine's play this year is indicative of most of her losses. If her head is not completely into winning, she's not going to win, and more often than not, will suffer humiliating losses.

supergrunt
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
"big and tall" ...
:rolleyes:

karimcartoon
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
She's an OUTSTANDING player. I wouldn't denounce or derail any of her achievements just because she never won wimbledon. I mean, Hingis won practically everything but the French and Monica won everything but Wimbledon. I think, she definitely had a shot during the 2006 and 2007 tournament where she was the top player and had that chance. (Serena took her chance to win the French Open during the 2002 season - I doubt she'll be THAT fit again in her career late 1990s to 2003). I think also she's still intimidated by the Williams' sisters on the surface and I guess that caused her to lack a bit of self-confidence. And confidence is definitely a hugely under-rated factor in any sport.

Also, even if she has a successful comeback and she wins some slams, if she never wins Wimbledon, Serena wins the debate of the "greatest of the generation"

danieln1
Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
quitter...

Tennis Ball
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:22 PM

That did make sense. Her dream was the French Open, not Wimbledon, like Nadal.
I also doubt if she really said she loves Wimbledon. I don't think she ever really loved it. The only thing I've heard her say about it is that she hates the rain (commercial) at Wimbledon and that "it's traditional". duh.

@ the thread starter: as a Justine hater, when posting a thread about her, at least be honest and make a reliable report. It isn't a failure, nor has she said it is.
"One of her biggest failures" Yeah, right :haha: Like she had a loser's career. As a serena fan your thread title is just pathetic.

crazillo
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
At least she is more honest now that some time has passed.

But she still says winning Wimby would not make herself happier if I recall correctly. We'll see what she is gonna say in one or two years.

I don't think we should rule out a comeback completely, but she is not a Navratilova or Hingis I think... We'll see.

ys
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:28 PM
Without Wimbledon she has a Lendl-like record.. Which is easily trumped by someone with McEnroe-like record, like Venus Williams.

Dodoboy.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:31 PM
She looks really great on the video :hearts:

ce
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:31 PM
and her only failure :hug:

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:36 PM

You can't ignore the physics of the game.

cn ireland
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:38 PM
Well that doesn't really come as any surprise but at least she admitted it. Anyway I always had a feeling she'd never win it, just as I believe that Sharapova will never win RG!

As for a return, if its ever going to happen and be successful it'll have to be in the next 2 yrs cos the girls coming through are bigger and stronger and as Justine would be older she'd find it so much tougher.

Personally I don't think she'll attempt a comeback anyway!

Mightymirza
Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Well she acknowledged the chance of a return a fraction more than she did a couple of months ago. I know it's still REALLLLLY unlikely but at least she kinda admits that she doesn't know how she will feel in the future. She doesn't expect to feel differently but she doesn't know for sure.

There's hope you you yet JH fans...even if it is just a sliver of hope.

There is also an interview on her website where she said she is still thinking about it as she is type of person who analyzes the situation completely..Anyways I really hope juju would come back and win wimbledon :bounce:

DA FOREHAND
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
You can't ignore the physics of the game.

There's a slew of "big and tall" girls on tour, yet only Venus, Lindsay, and Sharapova have claimed the Wimbledon title. Hmmm what's wrong w/the other "big and tall" girls?

Molik, Vaidisova, Dementiava, Safina, etc etc

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:13 PM
...what's wrong w/the other "big and tall" girls?

Their not Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova or Lindsay Davenport. :shrug:

Okay, seriously though. I'm not saying that that is the ONLY requirement for winning at Wimby, but the leverage height and long limbs offer on a serve- which is nearly crucial for grass court success- is truly an advantage! Now, it's up to that player to utilize it to there advantage, but to deny it as a plus at Wimby is to deny the physics of the game, imho.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:20 PM
Serena has won everything except Gold Medal (singles).
Justine has won everything except Wimbly.

they both could have had a chance this year... now only one does. :P

serenus_2k8
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Good lawd Henin.

You retired, get over it! It was you choice, not due to injury so go find a hobby. Jeez :rolleyes:

KBdoubleu
Jul 4th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Serena has won everything except Gold Medal (singles).
Justine has won everything except Wimbly.

they both could have had a chance this year... now only one does. :P

You can't really compare the two, as Serena hasn't even had the opportunity to compete for a gold medal in singles (was not picked for singles in '00 and injured in '04)...Henin must have had seven or eight chances to win Wimbledon. I'm also not too sure why Henin didn't believe she could win Wimbledon. She reached the semis three times and the finals twice. In nine appearances at the US Open she got past the fourth round just three times (her two victories there and the loss to Sharapova in the finals).

beecharmer
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:08 AM
LOL oh come on Navratilova and Graf would have thumped them all, lets not be idiotic

debopero
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:17 AM
she'll be back probably next year :rolleyes:

Xanadu11
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Well retirement seems to be more like an extended break these days so MAYBE she'll be back I doubt it thought. Re Wimbledon though, perhaps she'll be inspired by Venus and Serena being back in the finals, five years since the last Williams final and be inspired by the fact that whatever people say about V&S, they always stay in the mix, regardless of results or whatever anyone is saying about them writing them off etc.

littlebin
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Roland Garros cost her Wimbledon.
She just don't have the stamina to complete after wining Roland Garros.
She has the game to win it, her fragile body cost her.

thomas.chung
Jul 5th, 2008, 05:27 AM

Ask Pierce Brosnan. :)